Chapter 8: You Ain’t Dug Near Far Enough
2.1k 8 69
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

A few days later found both children working hard at their tasks. Sophia was continuing to push himself in learning how to officially enchant an object. While Ursula was putting some final touches into her first iron dagger, Axia standing taciturnly beside her sans clothes as the last few hammer blows fell amongst the roaring flames of the forge.

“Adequate,” the tall woman said curtly.

The girl gave off a weary smile and stumbled out of the fire, collapsing on the floor.

“I spent three days on it and it’s only adequate?” she said exasperatingly.

“I only make the finest weapons and armour. My apprentice shall do no less.”

Axia walked over to a door that Ursula had not yet seen inside of, she stood there waiting until the child stood and trudged over.

“The best smith knows how to use their works.”

She opened the door to a large by meticulously maintained room. Weapons could be seen arrayed upon the walls, well maintained blades gleaming in the light from the forge. A few lifelike mannequins stood still in the centre of the room, small gears could be seen behind the fake skin. Finally, a whetstone was sitting in the corner of the room with small bundles of cloth and a large barrel of oil.

The master smith gestured to the grindstone, “They also know how to maintain their works. You shall be maintaining these weapons while you learn.”

Ursula gulped, “All of them?”

She continued on completely disregarding the question, “By the end you shall know how use every piece of equipment in this room. But you shall focus on one or two sets of weapons to learn to mastery. Choose wisely.”

When she finished speaking Axia stood against the doorframe watching Ursula’s every move like a sentinel, her nude body steaming from evaporating sweat.

The girl stood there stumped, grumbling under her breath, “How the fuck am I supposed to just choose? There’s gotta be like 50 in here. It’s like asking a child to choose what job they wanted to do for the rest of their life… Oh wait they already did that.”

The brown-eyed girl sighed and then slowly walked around the room inspecting the diligently maintained equipment.

She stopped at a few before completing the circuit, “I’m interested in the swords and shields and the bow. Actually, will I learn how to make a bow?”

“No. You will only mould metal.” The woman shook her head derisively.

A twinkle appeared in Ursula’s eyes, “How about a metal bow?”

Axia slowly blinked a fleeting shimmer of interest in her eyes, “Later. What kind of swords?”

Ursula walked over to the largest sword in the room and stood in front of it and jerked her thumb behind her, “I choose the two-handed sword and a shield.”

The woman looked at her apprentice with a gimlet eye.

“Are you certain?”

Ursula looked solemnly back and nodded her head, “Yes. This is it.”

“Very well. You will struggle.”

The girls facial features softened and her eyes looked off into the distance, “For him. It’ll be worth it.”

 

<-{|}->

 

Sophia left Tartok’s store with a light spring in his step, the blue protective dress swishing through the air. Taking one last inhale of the nice lavender scented air, he started to head off towards the smithy.

Getting closer he noticed a small figure sitting collapsed against the side of the smithy walls.

“Ursula!” He cried out and rushed over to his friend

The girl’s chest was rapidly rising and falling as she took in big gulps of air.

“Are you okay? Do you need help?” He asked worriedly.

Ursula only groaned in response.

“Shit, why don’t I know any healing magic? Um, I’ll go get Rosalind!”

“M-fne,” Ursula slurred out.

“What?”

“I’m fine, just really really tired.”

“What happened?” The blonde asked concernedly.

“Axia wants to train me to use my weapons.”

“Which ones?”

“All of them.”

“Fuck.”

“Fuck indeed Soph. Fuck indeed.” The girl let out a tired giggle.

“Can you carry me home? I kinda can’t move right now.”

“Sure Ursy, just give me a sec.”

The boy spent a few seconds to cast a weight reduction spell and then a weak aversion spell, picked the girl up in a princess carry and started walking back to the orphanage.

They spent a few minutes in companionable silence, relishing in the close contact, as the throngs of people making their way home parted around them due to the aversion spell.

“So, Master Tartok – “ Sophia began.

“Since when do you refer to him as ‘Master’?”

Sophia’s brow wrinkled, “The older girls told me that it’s disrespectful to refer to your teacher without a ‘master’,” he visibly signed the air quotes, even though his partner couldn’t see them, with a lip slightly curled in distaste.

Ursula smiled wryly and motioned for him to continue.

“So Tartok, said that I should be good enough to produce enchanted items that he can sell within five years, it usually takes upwards of seven to ten years so I’m doing pretty well.” He said smugly.

The boy swiftly continued with a grin, “That also means I’ll start getting materials from him to work on my own stuff. All that without any physical exercise.”

“You’re too happy,” the girl grumped before her face transitioned into a wicked grin, “You know physical activity is important, especially for a world like this, and I haven’t worked on my magic much today. So how about you do some of what I did today and I can give you a few encouragements.” The honeyed words dripping with sarcasm.

“No.”

The girl looked directly into the boys eyes, “Yes.”

“No?”

“Yes.”

 “Yes.” he said with a melancholic sigh, his shoulders slumping.

 

<-{|}->

 

After walking home Sophia set Ursula down underneath the tree in their usual spot to the side of the orphanage and sat down beside her. They spent a few minutes appreciating the setting sun and the slightly warm afternoon breeze lightly caressing their skin.

“We’ll get to training a little later but I think we’ve put this conversation about our maturations and our future off long enough.” Ursula said quietly.

The boy groaned before nodding his head, “You’re right. I guess we’ll start from the beginning. We both saw four elves and we are most known for our magical power, archery and longevity. But I have to think that those four are only equal to one of the others in terms of inheritance strength.”

“Right that does make sense. After them I then saw a horse guy holding a huge ass sword, a wolf guy with a sword and shield and a dwarf wielding a hammer. So focusing on their major characteristics, a horses strength and constitution, followed by a wolves dexterity and intellect and finally, a dwarfs strength and dexterity.” Ursula reasoned.

She thought about it for a few moments before continuing, “Based on that, it would be best for me to focus on frontline fighting primarily with weapons and then supporting myself with magic.”

“You already had all that prepared didn’t you?” Sophia groused.

Ursula snaked her arm around the blonds shoulders and murmured into his ear, “Yes I did. But it means you now have no excuses.”

“Fine.”

Sophia rested his head on Ursula’s and thought back to the dream, “After the elves I saw a bunny girl with daggers, a cow girl with a staff and then a gnome with potions and an enchanted cloak.”

“So, wisdom and intelligence from the gnome,” his breath hitched but he forced himself to continue, “dexterity and charisma from the bunny, and while they’re not known for it the cow girl will give me constitution and intelligence.”

He sighed, “Ignoring the litany of other problems with those two animals, it would be best for me to focus on magic and archery and fighting from the back line.”

“There was that so hard?” The girl needled, giving her partner a nudge with her elbow.

Sophia sniffled and desperately hugged his friend, tears started to bead at the corner of his eyes.

“I just don’t want to lose who I am Ursy. They were both so sexual and I’m… I’m just not. That’s not me.” He warbled out.

“I will always be with you Soph, even if you stay the same or change. I promise.” The girl said solemnly as she patted his head. “You’re such an amazing person inside and out and that’s what I lo-like about you.”

Sophia wept in Ursula’s arms, Rosalind, hearing the commotion, came outside but was waved off by Ursula, though the young girl could still see her peaking through some of the holes in the building every so often.

Soon Sophia’s tears tapered off and he looked up at Ursula with puffy red cheeks and glistening eyes.

“Thank you,” he whispered softly.

“Always.”

 

<-{|}->

 

As the sun began to set Ursula had recovered to the point where she was able to walk to dinner when it was called. The children sat down in their usual spot next to Eyvor, they ate their meals exchanging general pleasantries and only when finished did Sophia pipe up.

“Hey Eyvor, do you know how to make a bow?” He asked.

“Of course it’s one of the first things I learned as a woodworker,” she said with a hint of confusion.

The children looked at each other and then back at her their eyes glistening and their mouths pouted, and then in perfect synchronization said, “Could you please teach us?”

The young woman was trapped for a few moments before she tore her gaze away from their soulful looks.

“I don’t have much spare time with both school and my apprenticeship coming to an end so I won’t be able to teach you how to make one-” She said sadly, causing the kids shoulders to slump, before continuing with a much brighter tone“-but I should have long enough to show you how to maintain one and use one properly.”

“Yay!” The pair both cheered and gave her a hug.

“Thank you Evyor you’re the best sister ever!” Said Ursula in a childish tone.

Eyvor’s cheeks warmed and she ducked her head slightly as she whispered to herself, “Yeah. I am a pretty good sister.”

“I’ve got some work to do still so come visit me a little later and we can get started,” Eyvor said with a warm smile.

Ursula grabbed Sophia by the hand, “Come on, we’ve got some training to do,” and started dragging him out the door.

They had time for one last, “Thanks Eyvor!,” before they were out the door.

Eyvor remained at the table stunned, “I fall for it every time… damn weird and adorable kids,” she muttered.

Back in their usual spot Ursula guided Sophia through a series of stretches.

“Axia taught me these earlier today, and they did help me limber up rather well.” Ursula explained.

After ten minutes of stretching there was a light sheen of sweat on the blonde boy’s body. Ursula while waiting was conjuring some small rubber balls that she piled up beside her.

“After warming up I was then taught stances for my sword and shield. Obviously you wont be doing those,” a sinister grin wormed its way onto her face, “instead I will be shooting some rubber balls that I conjured at you with magic and you will have to dodge them…”

Sophia quirked his head, “That doesn’t sound too bad.”

“You will also have to send the balls back to me using only magic.” She concluded with a sly grin.

“There it is.” Sophia sighed, “Wait but how am I supposed to concentr-”

“And begin.”

“Wha – ? Ow!”

Sophia’s arm was immediately pelted with a ball, a small welt forming almost immediately. That was swiftly followed up by another two.

“Ow! This isn’t fair!” Sophia whined.

“Life isn’t fair Soph,” Ursula grinned.

By the end of their training Sophia was covered in welts, his skin was almost glowing red as he gingerly made his way towards Eyvor’s room, Ursula grinning like a loon walking behind him.

“I hate you,” the boy grumbled.

“No you don’t.”

“I hate you.”

“Look, you made some improvement. By the end of it you were able to send a few balls back to me.”

“Yeah, but I didn’t manage to dodge any. And were you trying to aim for my butt? I think half of them hit there.” Sophia complained, rubbing his sore backside.

“You made the most adorable squeaking sounds when you were hit there… I couldn’t help it.”

The boy turned around and raised his eyebrow to which Ursula smiled unrepentantly back.

They knocked and entered Eyvor’s room and found her sitting at her desk working on her homework. An unstrung bow sat in the corner of the room.

“You’re here! I’ll just quickly finish this up – and done.” She said exuberantly.

“Before we begin. Do you know anyone who could teach us healing magic Eyvor?” Sophia asked.

Eyvor tilted her head and narrowed her eyes, “Why all the sudden interest in learning you two?”

“My master stepped up my training and now we feel like we should both be prepared for the future.” Ursula said quietly, Sophia nodding along beside her.

“Hmm… I’m not a person to discourage learning. Okay, Rosalind while not a fully fledged healer is pretty experienced so I’ll let Rosalind know tomorrow morning as I have to – er, help her out again. She’ll probably talk to you tomorrow morning about it.” Eyvor explained. “Now. We don’t have much time so let’s get to learning about the bow.”

Eyvor went over the simple ways to maintain and use a bow such as keeping it dry, unstringing the bow when not it use and how to restring the bow and finally, looking after the arrows.

Her voice now hoarse from talking she ushered the kids off to bed, giving them a wink as she closed the door behind them, her dick visibly bulging in her dress.

The duo used to her antics simply went back to their bed, conjured some blankets and bedding and promptly went to sleep.

They were woken up early in the morning by Rosalind.

“Good morning my children, I hope you had a good sleep?” She asked caringly.

At their tired nods she continued, “Eyvor told me that you want to learn healing magic?”

They both lethargically nodded again, their eyes drooping with each incline of their head.

“I’ve got a few minutes spare in the morning for the both of you. But that means you’ll have to wake up early. Are you willing to take that responsibility?” Rosalind asked seriously.

Hearing the tone of their pseudo-mother’s voice their eyes snapped to attention.

“Yes Rosalind. You can trust us.” They both said earnestly.

“There’s one other thing…” A small blush formed on the tall woman’s cheeks.

“You’ll also see me – interacting – with Eyvor and that’s –“

“To get the milk out of your boobs.” Sophia blurted out.

Rosalind blinked and then nodded hesitantly, “Yes – how did you know?”

“Umm, we found out?” Sophia said unconvincingly.

Rosalind gave him the look, causing the boy to shrink in on himself. When he didn’t speak up she started to leave the room after one parting remark.

“Come along. We’ll start now.”

The children rush out of bed and ran after her. When they caught up the woman cast a spell to muffle their voices and began her explanation.

“Healing magic, like all magic, works on the imagination of the caster and strength of their magic. It is considered one of the hardest disciplines to master as we do not understand how to body heals – although many attempts have been made to do so.”

“The next level up from that is purification magic to remove disease. This topic is not understood at all and as a result require far greater power to make up for it. In some cases the disease is even assisted by the healer causing death within seconds.”

“The best way to practice is by actually working on real wounds. Therefore, for however long you stay you two will now be healing the injuries at the orphanage under my supervision.”

She turned and gave them both pats on the head.

“You’ve both worked so hard the last two years and I trust you will act appropriately.”

She opened up the door leading to her room and they were surprised to find Eyvor waiting.

“Rosalind you’re back, and you’ve brought the kids,” she started to wring her hands nervously, “I thought you didn’t want any of the children to find out about – you know what.”

The tall woman gave Eyvor a warm smile as she walked up to her. As she got closer sweat broke out on the brunette’s forehead.

“Children, you’ll start learning healing by dealing with bruises. And I know just where to find one – “ She said with a hint of malice.

Eyvor yelped as she tried to spring away but Rosalind was too fast and brought her hand down on Eyvor’s plump rear causing it to ripple as a bruise quickly started to form.

Rosalind uncovered Eyvor’s ass and brought her hand near to the discolouration.

“Here’s what you do…”

 

<-{|}->

 

 And so the pair spent their time working hard on improving their skills.

Sophia was split learning healing magic from Rosalind in the morning, increasing his proficiency in enchanting, exercising and playing with their magic during the afternoons with his partner and then finally sessions with Eyvor on learning how to use and maintain a bow.

Ursula spent her time in a similar manner, although during the day she was worked hard to build up her strength, learn how to wield the multitude of weapons and learning how to smith them.

As time went on their days got longer and longer and more training was crammed into the few hours that remained of their free time. The pair stubbornly persisting through the grueling pace of their workload.

And soon nearly three years went by.

69