Chapter 23: I’ll Be There Someday
1.8k 5 51
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Adam took the final step to reach them. With a malicious grin he raised his hand to strike. His arm, shivering with excitement, began its decent.

Ursula shifted Sophia to her side and then leaned her body backward, narrowly dodging the backhand from Adam. She followed through with the movement, activating her magic reinforcement whilst taking a full back step and slamming her right elbow into Reynard’s hand which was still sitting on the pommel of his sword. Ursula shot a momentary white-hot glare into Adam’s eyes as she felt the bones underneath her elbow give way followed by a pained groan.

Ursula materialised a solid magic shield on her left arm and swung herself around with all the momentum she could gather. Reynard in the meantime managed to grab a hold of his sword with his other hand, his body beginning to fill with magic, but not before a shield of mana heavily impacted the entirety of his upper body with a loud crunch, sending him careening away, his body flying like a ragdoll, tumbling across the grass and into a tree.

Ursula continued her rotation, conjuring her sword in her right hand and elevating it. She came to a stop, sword millimetres away from Adam’s throat, her shield at the ready.

“Kneel.” Ursula commanded, her magic flaring in a pulse of pure fiery rage, increasing the temperature of the nearby surroundings by several degrees.

“You wouldn’t dare.” Adam choked out.

The sword heated until it was white hot, Adam felt the kiss of red-hot steel against his throat, sizzling away the few hairs on his chin.

“I fucking warned you.” Ursula coldly spat, “Now, turn around and kneel.”

He dropped to the floor with a whimper and knelt on the ground.

“Soph,” Ursula said quickly, “I need you to stand off to the side with your bow. They can cancel magic so if either of them looks to be casting anything, shoot them.”

Sophia gave Ursula a tight smile as she brought her bow into being and walked a few steps away and then trained it halfway between the kneeling Adam and the statue still Vagn.

“Reynard,” Ursula shouted across the clearing, “If you move a single step – he dies.”

The bodyguard, who was gulping down a red liquid from a glass vial, could only weakly nod.

“Now, you’re going to answer my questions. If I hear something I don’t like, I’ll start alleviating you of those sticky fingers.” Ursula hissed, jabbing her sword forward and let the smell of burning hair permeate the area.

Adam audibly gulped.

“Empty out your pockets.” Ursula ordered.

In a rush he pulled out a few bags of money that loudly clinked as he tossed them to the ground.

“Why on earth did you want to take revenge on Sophia? She literally pranked him once in class, and he was fine in minutes!” Ursula shouted incredulously.

“You peasants should be glad for even a second of our attention! And the audacity of such a low class being harming one of us?! They should be punished for their insolence.” Adam said with vindication.

Everyone heard Reynard sigh across the clearing.

“Do you have no kindness for the people that clothe you, grow your food or build your mansions you enjoy every day?” Ursula spat; her voice laced with disgust.

“They serve no better purpose than being beneath us.” Adam scoffed.

“And yet here you are. Beneath the blade of a peasant, you so callously disregard.” Ursula jibed.

“When my father hears of this, there will be no corner of this earth where you can run!”

Ursula pressed a little harder on the sword, a few drops of blood beaded out of his skin and then sizzled on the blade.

“Then I may as well kill you now.”

“Wait!” He desperately pleaded, snot running down his face “I’ll do anything. You can use me any way you want, just please don’t kill me, I’ll swear it.”

“Brother no!” Vagn shouted.

“Shut up! You got us into this in the first place!” Adam hissed in reply.

Ursula pulled her sword back a touch and thought for a full minute, “You and your family will not harm us indirectly or directly in an emotional or physical way, from our perspective, and you still stop any attempts to do so. You will also try your best to hide Sophia and my identities to the best of your abilities to only the six people here right now.”

 “As long as I can leave this place alive.” Adam limply nodded.

“I swear by the gods that if…” Ursula repeated what she said earlier, a hopeful glint in her eyes.

“I swear by the gods…” Adam copied what Ursula stated and added on his own condition.

Both Ursula and Sophia let out large sighs of relief once Adam had finished and lowered their weapons.

Sophia conjured an arrow and walked over to stand over Adam, his face was a mess with mucus dripping from his nose and his eyes bloodshot and watery. She looked him dead in the eye and dropped the arrow, it harmlessly fell onto his chest and then flopped onto the ground, the man flinching as it did so.

“If I see you again,” Sophia said coldly, “the next one will be going faster.”

With a shallow nod Adam leapt to his feet and raced towards the carriage, clods of dirt falling from his soiled cloak.

“Reynard, girl, come!” Adam tried to swish his cloak again but the mass of earth still clinging to its end had it swinging around his whole body.

With a familiar inarticulate growl of rage, he slammed the door to the carriage behind him. Vagn, moving for the first time in minutes, ran towards the carriage.

“Brother. Please don’t leave me! They’ll kill me!” Vagn shouted, banging his fists on the door.

“That whole situation just felt ridiculously familiar...” Ursula mumbled to herself, but she jumped a full inch into the air when she felt Reynard’s leather clad hand grip her shoulder.

“Between you and me that fucker needed to be taken down a peg. But I won't be so forgiving next time.” Reynard spoke gruffly.

Ursula quickly recovered and turned to face him with a smirk, “I didn’t lie when I said I had a guard.”

His eye’s widened as he began to turn, but he was stopped by the feeling of red-hot steel laying against his neck between the plates of his armour.

“Fuck. Rey, twice in one fucking day.” He mumbled to himself as he raised his hands in surrender.

When the sword was lifted from his neck, he glanced around to see a tall, cloaked figure. Their face was hidden within the cowl, magic shadowing any features still visible.

With a grunt of acknowledgement, he walked back to the carriage where Vagn was still making a racket.

 “Brother! Please, I’m sorry!” He shouted, letting his face just press against the door.

Reynard cuffed the teen over his head, “Just open the fucking door.”

“Ow,” Vagn’s wailing abruptly stopped, “How?”

Reynard stared at him incredulously, and simply used the handle to open the door, “Bloody ignorant noble fucks,” he muttered coarsely under his breath.

Vagn sheepishly plodded behind the guard as he entered the carriage. The servant woman, cradling her previously injured face, collected the dirt covered carpet, and then picked up the step ladder. She turned to give them a warm smile.

“We can try to find a way for you to escape.” Sophia offered.

“Do not concern yourself with me, I will be given a considerable sum to keep quiet and then asked to leave.” The woman replied slyly, a smirk dancing on her face.

Sophia’s eyes widened, “You were waiting for it to happen?”

The woman’s smirk grew a little and then disappeared off her face as she opened the door to the carriage and vanished inside. Within moments the manamal's started walking away, the sound of clattering wheels on rocks and dirt gradually dissipating as the carriage fled the area.

The two teens let out a collective sigh of relief.

“Are we clear?” Ursula asked her mentor.

Axia pulled back the cowl and gave her student a solemn nod, “Yes.”

“Good. Ursy, are you okay? That was pretty brutal.” Sophia asked concernedly.

Ursula walked over and picked up the bags of coins. She cast a quick mana detection spell and flashed a quick smile a the negative result, “This money will go a long way in making me feel okay.”

“Ursula,” Sophia said sternly making the girl flinch, “You can’t just gloss over it.”

“I’m fine, just processing it right now. I won’t say no to a little cuddle later.” Ursula said shyly.

Sophia’s checks flushed red as she tried to maintain composure, “G-Good.”

“All this stupid noble stuff did give me an idea though. They keep on waxing on and on about how good their family name is so why don’t we make our own and when we make it big we shove it in their face.” Ursula suggested with an evil grin. “Got any ideas?”

“If I had to choose… Lifthrasir.” Sophia answered firmly, shifting her head so she could stare soulfully into Ursula’s eyes.

“I’ve never heard that before… What does it mean?”

“The mythology is two humans fated to survive Ragnarok had the names Lif and Lifthrasir… I just chose the cooler sounding one.” Sophia concluded with a shrug.

“Well I’m fine with that… So I guess we jut call ourselves that in the future?”

“No,” Axia interjected, “Names have meaning and power. You must make it your own.”

“How would I do something like that Axia?” Ursula asked.

“Like all magic. Understanding, will and mana.” The master smith tersely replied.

“I understand,” Ursula walked over and wrapped Sophia in a hug, “We’ll get through this and show those stupid people whose boss. Together.”

Sophia nodded into the tall teen’s warm embrace; the top of her head enveloped in soft marshmallow like breasts.

“That was a little cheesy Ursy.”

 

<-{|}->

 

At the smithy, Axia dismissed her cloaking spell and whispered into a small thimble device before turning to the duo. A few weak streams of late afternoon light filtered through the small windows casting the room in a dark shadow.

 “You have a choice. Remain ignorant or join us. Choose wisely it cannot be undone.” Axia’s alto voice thrummed through the room.

“If it means getting any kind of leg up in this world then I am in,” Ursula immediately replied.

“Where you go I go Ursy,” Sophia quickly supported.

The woman gave them both an unfathomable look, “Good.”

She turned and faced one of the stone walls and waved her hand.

“Why have I never seen that door?” Ursula whispered wondrously.

“It must be like a perception altering spell or it could be a light bending spell, but that wouldn’t provide enough security…” Sophia mumbled away as they were both led through the door.

The dark sooty smithy opened up into a bright spacious room, chandeliers hung from the ceiling providing ample light for them to see rows of bookcases and several workstations. The walls appeared to be made mostly of glass providing a view into a mountain range of craggy peaks, dull moonlight washing the vista in a dark blue hue.

“…Or it could just be a fucking portal.” Sophia concluded. “And we’re pretty far away as well.”

“Why do you say that?” A wizened voice called out from the stacks.

“Wait… I know that voice.” Ursula commented, her face scrunched up as she tried to recall.

A tall, feathered man with a bright gleaming bald head walked out with a kind smile, his glasses were sitting atop his nose greatly magnifying his eagle-like eyes, he briefly took them off to take a look at the pair, “It’s good to see you again Ursula.”

“Headmaster Arne.” Ursula uttered, awe leaking into her voice.

“And you must be Sophia. It’s good to finally meet you.”

“It’s good to meet you too Sir. Ursula’s told me about how much you helped me, and I’d just like to say thanks, I’m really glad Tartok didn’t get the opportunity to steal my ancestor’s secrets. And in answer to your question, it’s because it was afternoon when we left but now it looks to be late at night, in I must answer to your question before. Are you the one who made those portal doors? Would you be able to teach me?” Sophia blushed a deep red and covered her mouth, but her starry eyes could not be hidden.

“I don’t think I’ve ever met an enchanter who’s not been interested in learning. Of course, I am an educator at heart, if you are willing to learn then I am willing to teach.” The old man gave off a dry chuckle, “However first I must address one small problem. Axia, you said it was something urgent.”

The bronzed blacksmith nodded and gently pushed Ursula forward, “New members.”

Ursula went to move but she was halted by her mentor gently laying a hand on her muscled shoulder.

“Good job today.”

And without any delay left back through the portal door.

Ursula stood stock still, her mind awash with the, very unlikely, words of praise. Tears threatened to fall as her eyes rimmed red. She blinked a few times to clear away the gathered fluid and pushed through.

“Hello Sir. Axia hasn’t really mentioned what you guys really do.” Ursula said, Sophia nodding beside her.

Arne’s eyes shot up to where Axia had just left through the door, “Always the impatient one.” He muttered with a sigh. He drew himself to his full height, “We’re more clandestine freedom fighters. Helping right wrongs to all classes of society from beggars to kings. More recently we’ve been dealing with helping those suffering discrimination from high society and a recent spate of slavery popping up in the area.” Arne spoke passionately, his eyes glimmering.

“So why invite us then. We’re not exactly the most powerful of people.” Sophia asked quietly.

“Axia would not invite you two without reason. I think you both know why you are here.” The bald eagle said with a knowing smile.

“Do we tell him?” Sophia asked Ursula softly.

Ursula gave Sophia a quick nod and turned to the still smiling man, “We were the ones who dealt with the inheritance problem.”

Arne’s glasses fell off his face, the loop of metal attached to them catching around his neck.

“I-I see. I had been informed by the council that the problem simply fixed itself. Would you mind answering an old man’s questions?”

They both gave the eagle animan a quick description of the events that occurred during the dream-like plane.

“My goodness. I’m glad you told me of this, it has sparked a few memories which I simply must research.” The headmaster gave them both appreciative glances, “Will you both be joining me at my school soon?”

“Next year sir.” Ursula nodded.

“I’ll look forward to having you both and on board with our little group. But for now, however, we must part ways.” The eagle animan said with fervour in his eyes, he turned to Sophia, “You may browse while you’re here, though I would recommend staying away from the more advanced magic – for now.”

“We better head back anyways,” Sophia said reluctantly.

The old man ambled back towards the library, he turned to give them a cheeky grin before walking into the stacks.

Ursula dragged Sophia away from the stacks of books and they returned back to Axia’s smithy and to the steady sound of hammer banging on heated metal.

They gave the stern woman a wave before exiting only to find Eyvor waiting for them.

“Hey Kiddo’s,” she said with a warm smile, “Axia called me to walk you two back. Did you get in some trouble today?”

She received two weary sighs.

“Stupid nobles,” Sophia muttered angrily.

“Oh, well, it couldn’t have been too bad – right?”

“Eyvor we literally had to get them to swear an oath to the gods to make sure we would live without being harassed in the future.” Sophia said morosely.

“Well fuck.”

“It’s been managed… mostly.” Ursula tacked on, her voice, full of confidence, dropping to a more sombre tone on the final word.

“Hey Eyvor, why aren’t more people upholding oaths using the gods? Now that I think about it, it sounds very exploitable.” Sophia commented.

“Sophia,” Eyvor began in a serious tone, “the gods aren’t to be used or asked of lightly. There have been several times in history where people have made their oaths for frivolous things like business deals. After a few the world becomes dull to their senses, if they continue making oaths their senses continue to deaden until they just become a shell. No sight, no taste, no touch – I think you get the picture. It’s theorized that the person who suggests the oath literally offers a part of their soul to the gods as collateral to ensure whatever deal has been struck is followed through on. The only known exception is if the other person in the deal dies – of course everyone knows that, so everyone usually accounts for it.”

“Huh, the gods really like just wasting people away if they offend them, don’t they?” Sophia said rhetorically.

Eyvor nodded, “Also for more nefarious people, I would imagine they have other ways of ensuring obedience without, you know, possibly losing their soul.”

The trio walked home in silence after that, their minds focused on the future.

51