Chapter 13
907 4 32
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Frederic covered his uncontrollable smile and looked away. His ears were bright red as he tried to calm down his heart. He felt like his eyes were spinning.

To smile at me like that in this distance is foul!

Thank god I practiced crossbows!

Noel backed away and rested back on Benny, oblivious of the mess he just made.

Frederic cleared his throat awkwardly, "Let's go to the auction house."

"Okay."

They arrived on time at the auction house. Frederic successfully obtained the collection of poems he was aiming for.

At night, Frederic was washing when he realized a problem.

Noel really liked that penguin doll and it indeed looked very soft to hug. Would he still continue sleeping with him…?

Frederic shook his head.

What was he being upset for? Didn't he try to make Noel sleep in his own room before?

He was too deep in thought that he didn't hear the sound of his door opening and closing.

When he saw Noel on his bed as usual, he was slightly surprised. He asked as he slid into the bedcover.

"Not going to sleep with your new doll, Noel?"

Noel hugged him, "Eric is warmer. Better."

"Even though I'm not soft?"

He looked up in thought before answering, "Soft."

"How so?"

"Inside. Eric makes me fluffy."

Noel then recalled that Frederic seemed reluctant to sleep with him at first. He thought it was because Frederic was a serious person and never slept with another person on the same bed, but probably that wasn't it. He promptly sat up.

"Eric doesn't like sleeping with me?"

Frederic was still processing Noel's previous words when he was suddenly asked that. It was also the first time he heard Noel say a full sentence. He couldn't react properly for a second.

Noel saw he was silent and thought it was a yes. So he floated out of the bed feeling upset.

Frederic regained himself when he saw Noel leaving. He got up and blocked him, "No, I'm sorry, I didn't mean it like that. Don't be angry."

"Not angry…" Noel sulked.

Frederic reached out and slowly pulled him closer, "Your face says otherwise."

He led noel back to the bed. After some hesitation, he gave the initiative to stiffly hug Noel first.

Noel could hear Frederic's heartbeat was faster than usual. He wanted to look up, but Frederic held down his head, not letting him look. Then, he heard Frederic speak above him.

"I like sleeping with you," after a moment of pause he continued, "I thought…you would choose the doll…over me, so I was just surprised."

The more Frederic spoke, the more Noel felt the increased beating of his heart. The hands behind him also tightened their hold on him.

Frederic was holding back his embarrassment from saying his childish thought. He waited for several minutes but didn't hear any reply from the person in his arms. He looked down to see that Noel has fallen asleep from who knows when.

Frederic, "…"

He smiled helplessly. He relaxed his body so as to not suffocate Noel and promptly closed his eyes.

They returned back to Selvesthine the next day. It was a 2-day trip and they arrived back at the castle 2 days before the party. At the capital city, many nobles and royalties from other countries have arrived. Because of the multiple occasions the party was going to celebrate, the guests have always been many. It was the most crowded time of the year for the capital.

On the evening of the party, Frederic changed into a set of exquisite royal suit. His hair was neatly combed back as usual, but because he wasn't wearing his military uniform, the heroic aura felt more restrained and noble. He still carried his sword as always.

Normally, several servants would help the royal family with their garments. But Frederic was used to doing things by himself that it made him uncomfortable when someone tried to serve him excessively like that.

He turned to Noel who was sitting on the bed with Benny, watching him, "How do I look?"

Noel nodded, "Handsome."

He floated up and changed as well. When the smoke dispersed, Frederic saw that Noel's attire was similar to him but all black mixed with blue. Instead of leather shoes, Noel wore boots, and the tie became bows. The fabric also seemed lighter and more flexible than Frederic's.

"Me?"

Frederic smiled, "Handsome."

Noel touched his hair and looked at the mirror. Frederic knew he was comparing their hair. He placed a chair and prompted Noel to sit down.

He carefully brushed Noel's hair and divided them into two sides. He applied a bit of gel and styled them neatly. It was still casual but wouldn't become messy easily either. Noel wouldn't like to have his hair combed back as rigidly as him.

When finished, Noel stood up from the chair. Frederic was surprised.

"Noel, you won't be floating?"

Noel shook his head, "Walk."

Fredric offered his arm, "Let's go."

Noel placed his hand on his arm, and they walked out to the party hall together.

"There will be many people inside. Usually, parties like this will last until past midnight. Tell me if you become tired. I will take you back to our room."

Noel nodded, "Okay."

As they got near to the venue, they could hear the voices of people gradually becoming louder. They entered the venue through a different door exclusively for the palace's residents.

The other princes were already there with their partners. They turned around to see Frederic entering with his own 'partner'.

"Frederic, you're here." Kaius welcomed him.

"Good evening, I hope I am not late."

"The event hasn't started yet." Maxis said.

Frederic gestured at Noel, "This is Noel. I believe, except for Lady Diaz, no one has met him yet."

Their attention was immediately shifted to the boy next to Frederic.

"Noel, these are my brothers. Brother Kaius is the oldest, next is Brother Phillip, then me, and lastly Maxis," Frederic bent slightly and gestured at the person one by one, "Next to Brother Kaius is Lady Mary, his wife. You've met Lady Diaz. She is Brother Phillip's wife. Lastly is Lady Silvia, Maxis's fiancé."

Noel nodded at them, "Noel."

Diaz almost squealed.

Noel in a formal suit is very handsome! And look at his hair!

She thought she could see Noel often since they were both living in the palace. But even after a few days, she didn't meet him at all!

Phillip knew what his wife was thinking and hugged her waist close, "It's good that you finally bring a partner, Frederic. But it will be better if you bring a lady with you. It will be the best gift for Father and Mother."

"I am afraid I cannot afford such a gift soon, Brother," Frederic seriously replied. He looked at Noel who was also looking at him, "Noel is good."

Kaius narrowed his eyes.

"I don't think it will take that long, Prince Frederic," Lady Mary chimed in, "Queen Mother didn't tell you about Duke Elvestine's daughter, Lady Cecille? She is attending this party and you might be told to accompany her for the night by Queen Mother later."

"Lady Cecille? I thought Mother said she will match Brother with Princess Louvina from Delrichy." Maxis was surprised.

"It is possible that Queen Mother invited ladies of different types for Prince Frederic to choose. Maybe she hopes that Prince Frederic will fall for any one of them." Silvia guessed.

Diaz laughed, "Then, this party also served as Prince Frederic's match-making event," she glanced at the arriving guests, "And I think they are also aware of it."

Frederic took a look at the people in the hall and frowned. But he already promised his parents to comply, so he held it in. He just needed to pass the night and it would all be over for good.

When the party formally started, the King and Queen appeared together. They greeted the guests and welcomed them with a short speech. The music played and they walked side by side to the dance floor. After bowing, they started their dance. Halfway, the princes started joining in with their respective partners.

That was except for Frederic who stood behind with Noel.

"Eric not dancing?"

Frederic chuckled, "Can Noel dance?"

Noel shook his head, "No."

"Me too."

"Really?" Noel didn't believe it.

"I'm too rough for dancing." Frederic showed his hand full of calluses.

"Not rough." Noel refuted.

Frederic has always been gentle and caring. When has he ever been rough? Noel has never even heard him raise his voice unless when he was giving commands to his subordinates.

When the second piece started, the King and Queen finished and gave the floor to the guests. The Queen called over a beautiful girl wearing a soft yellow gown and brought her to Frederic.

"Frederic, this is Lady Cecille Elvestine. Why don't you accompany her for a dance?"

Cecille bowed elegantly in greeting.

Frederic hid his discomfort, "…Yes, Mother."

32