Chapter 16
877 3 29
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Frederic, "…"

He didn't know if Wolfgang thought Noel to be a 15 or so boy, but fortunately, Noel was more than a thousand years old.

What he didn't expect was that Louvina was 20 years old or younger. What was his mother thinking if she really did try to match him with her?

"Go?" Noel pointed outside.

"You can locate them?"

Noel nodded, "Yes."

Before Louvina completely vanished, he managed to attach a sliver of his smoke to her dress.

"I'll go with you." Ziev volunteered.

Frederic nodded and went to inform his brothers and parents. He promised to get Lapis and Lazuli, Kaius's twins, back safely. When he was walking out, he gave the palace guards a deathly look.

"I will thoroughly investigate all of you later for this failure of upholding your duty. Any of you who try to escape will be automatically condemned as a traitor."

He called his subordinates through their exclusive badge that worked as a communicator like Noel's necklace with his brothers. He ordered some to keep watch of the palace guards, some to sweep the palace, a messenger to go inform Lugio, and the rest to follow him.

Frederic hopped onto his horse. At the same time, Noel floated forward, and a black smoky road formed behind him, heading up to the sky. Frederic unhesitatingly whipped his horse to head towards it, following Noel closely behind.

Although Ziev was shocked to see Noel's energy, he decided to think about that later and followed Frederic. Frederic's people also caught up.

The group arrived at a 2-story house outside the city walls. It was hidden among the woods. They immediately barged inside, killing every Wolfgang member in sight.

Noel led them to the basement. Inside, there was a hidden room full of cages. Not only the children that were just kidnapped, there were also several others that have already been there for who knows how long. Demons, demi-humans, and humans. Their eyes were already void of light.

There were 5 Wolfgang members lying dead. The children were quickly freed while Frederic and Ziev went back up.

"Search for any clues where their base is."

Ziev nodded and they separated.

After turning the house upside down, Ziev found several documents and brought them to Frederic for him to check. Frederic studied them one by one and crosschecked them with the information he already has. After piecing everything together in less than an hour, he finally deciphered it.

He wrote everything on paper and gave it to a messenger to deliver it to Lugio. He wrote another one to the other country's military unit, explaining in detail and asking for cooperation before giving it to another messenger.

The location of the base was actually in another country. They really went through all the trouble to operate in 2 different countries while not operating at all in the country where their base was. It explained why they had a hard time tracing their trail.

"Noel, you can go back first. I need to go to another country a few days away from here before the leader is alerted and runs away. It will be dangerous if we let them roam around any longer."

Noel shook his head, "Go with Eric."

Frederic smiled helplessly, "Alright, but change your clothes first, okay?" he turned towards Ziev, and swiftly turned serious, "Ziev, I will leave the matter here to you. Interrogate the palace guards and find all the accomplices if there are any. My subordinates' there will temporarily be under your command. If the palace head guard makes things difficult, say it is a direct order from me as a prince. Is this arrangement fine?"

"Your wish is my command, My Prince." Ziev joked.

Frederic shook his head and left with Noel and his 20 or so subordinates.

The news about the palace being intruded while it was holding the King and Queen's birthday party spread among the people like wildfire. With all the nobles and royals inside, it was too thrilling to hear something like that happen. Which ghost was audacious enough to do that??

The more unbelievable thing was they actually succeeded. Many families who have someone working as a palace guard were all very anxious when they heard their family member was being locked up in the palace for investigation.

Along with that was also the fact that Prince Frederic almost single-handedly neutralized the intruders along with another Commander there. Some night owls saw their horses galloping in the sky gallantly towards the outside and hadn't come back yet.

Wolfgang was infamous among the people in the know. They made some guesses whether or not this involved them since they knew that Prince Frederic has been cleaning them up this past month.

It wasn't until 10 days later that Frederic returned.

He met up with Ziev at the office. Ziev saw that Frederic didn't look tired at all and still looked as handsome as usual. He was wearing his uniform and Ziev knew it was possible because Frederic always kept a spare in his pouch. He clicked his tongue in wonder.

"How can you still look so fresh?" Ziev asked as he handed Frederic the report he asked.

"The secret is a good night's sleep." Frederic read the report.

Ziev went into business, "Your guess is right, there are accomplices among the guards. And not only one at that."

"Blackmailed?"

"Their family members were captured a few days before the banquet. More precisely, 2 days before you reached here from Delrichy. I saved them right after they told me, so they weren't lying. I don't have any authority to decide the punishment since this involved your family and many royalties from other countries. These 3 guards are still in their cell as of now, waiting for the verdict."

"I understand. Thank you for your help, Ziev."

"It's nothing. How did the capturing go?"

"It went smoothly. The leader was a count there and successfully captured. The base was his own residence. Normally, it would have some complications with him being a noble. Fortunately, I have my status as a prince. He was given to us after a successful round of negotiation with the ministers. It was what made us return a bit late."

"Commander Lugio is fine with that?" Ziev raised an eyebrow.

"Delrichy's royal family did not get stormed by them in the middle of their rulers' birthday, coronation, and wedding celebration. You also saved Princess Louvina from being kidnapped. Although she got taken away after that, it was inevitable, and we successfully saved her the second time. Lugio let us have the leader willingly as gratitude. He trusts that we will give appropriate punishment."

Frederic closed the report, "And we will. He will thoroughly pay for all his crimes. For all those people he robbed from their family."

He carried up Noel who he placed on the couch in the office earlier. It has been a long time since Noel slept more than a day. He hasn't woken up since 2 days ago. Frederic also wasn't willing to wake him up considering how much he wronged Noel in that single night that stretched until 10 days.

"Aren't you being a bit too protective towards him? I just knew that his energy has manifested a physical shape. Even though he looked fragile, he's definitely capable of protecting himself."

Frederic looked at Noel's face, "You never know what will happen in times that have not yet passed. Even if it is a second in the future."

"What I don't understand is the source of your concern." Ziev shook his head.

Frederic turned to walk out when he remembered something, "I should congratulate you, Ziev. Your parents can be happy soon."

Ziev, "?"

"Princess Louvina apparently has fallen for her savior and asked to be engaged to you. You might get a letter for a meet-up from her soon. I will be waiting for your engagement banquet." Frederic dropped the news before leaving.

Ziev felt his brain was struck by lightning and couldn't process the words properly, "Huh…??"

Frederic entered the carriage and finally returned to the castle. Now that everything has been settled, he could relax after writing the formal report for documentation and informing it to his parents. He also needed to submit it to the general.

The general would move directly only if the matter had the potential to create war or massive destruction. Commanders like him dealt with large-scale crime and A to S risk level beasts. While domestic problems and low-level beasts would be handled by captains or some adventurers. Of course, if war issues, it would be another different matter.

The carriage arrived at the castle. Frederic stepped out with Noel in his arms, intending to put him in bed. Just as he entered, Cecille appeared in front of him and greeted him with a smile.

"Welcome home, Prince Frederic. I am very glad to see your safe return."

29