V1C5 – The New World
459 3 24
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

I gained several things through my interactions with God.

#1: That is no God.

I can't gauge his overall true strength or influence; I only know what was presented to me. However, the fact that I could make such a [Contract] with him is proof enough of his, at least, mental vulnerability. Additionally, in the Mind trial's clue, it referred to God as just, "immortal," which is not the same as what he claimed to be. So anyway, instead of the suggested presumptuous title, I'll call him [X] for now.

#2: I might not be dead yet.

Did you notice it? Over the course of our talks, he never once mentioned words like "death" or things that implied death like "reincarnation." He explained the concept, never used the word. He skillfully weaved around it, not telling me that I was dead, but implying that I probably was. Everything would make sense perfectly if I just assumed myself to be dead: which I did most of the time. But, only I used vocabulary that presumed my end and that's strange. Well, death by a heart attack at that moment, considering my medical history, would not come to shock anyone who knew. I might be mistaken and reading too much into this; Perhaps [X] implied my death and I'm just not picking up on it.

Continuing with this theory, if I'm not dead, am I in some sort of comatose state? Or did my soul just up and leave my body (real) brain dead? Is there another clone version of me still back on Earth resuming his life? Where did the body I used for [X]'s trials come from? I'll save these thoughts.

#3: [X] wanted my trust

From the beginning, he wished something of me: to do his work in this other world. For a cooperative relationship of mutual benefit, trust plays a big factor in the smoothness of interactions. He sang my praises over and over, saying I had talents and whatnot. He was the one who stopped his angels from torturing me at such convenient timing. He spoke in a casual and accommodating manner. He allowed my selfish conditions to rebirth. The list goes on, but you get the point. Trust would make me work more diligently for his goal, so it's understandable why he'd want to earn it.

#4: The trials were meaningless

[X] knew the extent of my past and skills from the start, or so I've surmised. When testing me through the arbitrary categories of mind, body, and soul that blended together vaguely at times, nothing was really gained by him. Just because I could solve a convoluted escape room quickly, just because I could kill a bear with primitive tools, and just because I could withstand vivid past flashbacks and a few seconds of pain--how was that a comprehensive test of my entirety that was to be sent to this other world? Being put through specific situations with odd circumstances does not test me at all if the goal was to ascertain my worthiness to be a reincarnated candidate. I assume that position may have already been decided by the time I came. So, what purpose did it serve? Only [X] knows, but my best guess would be for my own growth. Well, I didn't think I grew much over the trials though, which contradicts the theory since [X] was happy with my results. 

Phew. That was a lot to unpack, but now I get to relax and sit back under the protection of [Contract]. [X] said it was pretty powerful magic, so I hope that he can't break it anytime soon. 


After walking through [X]'s portal completely, my senses dull and warmth spreads throughout my whole body. The next moment, I'm mercilessly assaulted by the cool air. I then feel tears, my own tears streaming.

"Did I arrive safely?"

But no sound would come out, no sound could come out without developed vocal cords.

"[** ** *** ** ****]!"

"[** ****]."

Unnatural sounds caressed my new ears, a different language than the multiple I already knew which was a bit unnerving. I was confident I could name most of the common languages on Earth just by hearing or reading them but this wasn't Earth. So, I guess I have to learn the language here: what a pain.

My eyes were still blurred by tears and the local sound was being dominated by my tumultuous wails; My body was overcome by natural instinct. Through it all, I still tried to adjust my vision to see the surroundings and tried to pick up the strange speeches of whoever was with me.

"[*** ****** **]!"

I suddenly felt my weight being lifted and was gently pulled into one girl's arms. My vision was clearing and its color saturation detection began to regain its luster. I was being held, as a baby in the arms of a woman that looked to be in her 20s. She had long and deep dark hair with crystalline patterned azure eyes. She was drowning in happiness: my mother.

Another presence soon loudly entered the room, it was a tall-standing man with a moderately muscular physique. His eyes were sharp and a more shallow blue than my mother's while his hair was dark brownish. He strutted towards the bed where I and my mother lie; he brushed past the person who seemed to be the nurse watching joyfully from the sidelines. When in close proximity, he looked straight at the teared-up me with a fluffy expression. After saying something I couldn't understand, he gestured to mother.

I pulled from the good side of the gene pool definitely, there's no doubt with these two beauties for parents. Oh? Dad begins to pick me up. He holds me in his arms a bit more stiffly and awkwardly than my mother. The increased toughness of his clothes was also transmitted clearly to my sensitive baby skin. He's grinning from ear to ear, I can tell that this is definitely the moment of a lifetime for the couple. I bogged down the atmosphere in my mind,

"What's going to happen from here on out? What kind of world did I find myself in?"

[X] did say that I would have to abandon everything from my old life, my parents must be worried; I don't have siblings. But, I guess I'll never see them again. Looking back, it certainly makes me a bit sad. But, it's a small price to pay for standing here right now--unless this world turns out to be way worse than my previous one.


What I need to do now is gather information.

Looking down, I confirm my body--it's of an infant, there's no doubt. Looking around, I recognize this place as a hospital. The room I was in was mostly empty, other than a few beds, cabinets, and funny tools. My parents watched me curiously, it seems they were waiting for me to do something interesting. I guess I'll give them a few fingers squeezes and smiles, these parents better treat me with the utmost care!

Anyways, the language, hearing it again after clearing my mind makes it sound somewhat like English. If it's anything like it, then it'll be a tedious thing to learn though. My parents ask the nurse something. She proceeded to write down a few things and shuffle through some files. If the nurse had that much paperwork, then it's safe to assume there's a printing press already invented in this world right? So, books...

Let's not get distracted! [X] did say this was a world of advanced science and magic--how far does that apply in relation to the world I know? Is it so technologically superior that it would be incomprehensible to me (though magic is already incomprehensible)? Is it around the same level as what I know of, or can they even be compared? What are the differences between different scientific fields? I guess I'll have to find out.

The nurse spoke to my parents and after getting approval, stuck her hand out to me. W-What is she doing? After mustering up extreme concentration, wavy light poured out of her hand. Oh boy, that's magic, isn't it? It's not special effects or anything, it came directly from her. So, I really am in another world. After about a minute, she smiled back at my parents and told them the seemingly good news. Was that some sort of magical health check?

"Status Open!"

I shouted in my mind, but nothing appeared. I guess I have to try something else; I will feel the mana flow in my body! Yeah, I can't feel anything. Where's my cheat, [X]? They continued doing more normal tests, and I waited for them to finish. In the end, I felt like a few hours went by. 

My parents picked me up a while after everything was done and embraced me preciously, wrapping me up in a cozy blanket. While doing so, they proceeded to check out of the hospital--so you can check out of hospitals after birth this early in this world? After walking further, they reach a...carriage? I would have at least thought this world had automobiles, advanced science you said! Well, maybe they do exist--I can't make assumptions. My parents and I board the carriage, covered in sleek black, and drove by strong-looking white stallions. 


I took a quick nap with the pitter-patters of the horses as my BGM. The road was paved, and the ride was surprisingly smooth--as smooth as it could possibly be in that circumstance.

Then, awakening to an unfamiliar ceiling, it seems that I'm already home. Now then, let's do this. Life; Round 2!

24