Chapter II.2 – A Good Doctor
84 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Joe decided to ask the most important question first.

 

“What is your-”

 

A loud growl interrupted his thoughts.

 

The light pain in the stomach wasn’t helping, either.

 

“Oh, you are hungry… don’t worry, I’ll call someone. Don’t run away!”

 

Cat gracefully jumped down on the floor and quickly walked to the far end of the room. There was a door there - not unlike the ones he had seen back then on a submarine-like place. She jumped on a handle, pushing it down to open a door and disappeared into the opened gap.

 

Joe watched his new acquaintance leaving. When the tail vanished behind a door, he slowly moved his legs down to the floor. Supporting himself by leaning on the wall, he got up from the bed.

 

He was still feeling a bit weak, but his mind was clear and his legs were keeping him standing just fine. Joe rationalized that walking around the room for a bit wouldn’t hurt, picked up a lantern and walked closer to the table.

 

As with everything else, the floor was supremely clean. Joseph felt really guilty when he noticed that his bare feet were leaving noticeable footprints everywhere.

 

Both cabinets were closed. Joe tried to peak inside through a thin gap, but even with the light it was impossible to make anything out. The only thing he could confirm with certainty was the strong alcoholic smell, coming from the left cabinet.

 

Drawer was shut and locked as well. Of course.

 

Damn, whoever is in charge of this room clearly knows better than to let a random hoodlum ransack his keepings… Well, that’s a shame.

 

Joe was definitely feeling like a thief in this scenario. He needed to figure out what was going on, however, so he kept on searching.

 

Until sounds of heavy steps came from behind the door. Joseph could swear he could a weird clunking sound along with them. He turned around, quickly realising that there was no way he was going to make it to the bed in time.

 

Door opened, revealing a smiling black haired man. He wasn’t very tall - 160 cm at best, more then 20 cm shorter than Joe was. The man was wearing white coat - Joe felt a sense of deja vu, as if he was back in a hospital. He ran head first into a man on a bicycle back then.

 

Then something unusual came into his vision.

 

He was surprised he hadn’t noticed it earlier. Probably got distracted by the appearance of a man himself. From the top of doctor’s forehead, going down his neck and underneath his coat, there was a grey stitch-like line. Joe couldn’t quite make it out in the dim light of the room, but he was pretty sure that stitches weren’t moving when the doctor changed his expression to different one, expressing concern.

 

The man was carrying something, wrapped up in a fabric. He put the item down on the closest bed before walking up to Joe.

 

“One energetic patient - isn’t it right, Ailuros? You said he was lying in a bed! Standing up without a proper analysis leads to unexpected complications - you do know that, mate?”

 

The last question was pointed at Joe.

 

Joe made a weird sound, that could mean anything, from agreeing to asking for a milk. He wasn’t even sure himself what he meant by that. It was a first time he was scolded by a weird doctor with a metal stitch over his head, right after talking to a cat spirit.

 

The man in a white coat pulled a lever next to a door. The first few seconds, nothing was happening, but then the lines on a ceiling began to slowly brighten up, illuminating a room. They weren’t flaring up to the full in an instant, like the normal lights would do - it was slowly building up, like a campfire.

 

The doctor sighed, coming closer to the bed Joe was lying in before.

 

“Come closer, I don’t bite. Wouldn’t want to ruin a perfectly good body, right?”

 

Joe didn’t like the sound of that one bit. Not like there was any choice in the matter.

 

The car wordlessly jumped up onto the bed. The doctor took the stool and moved it closer.

 

“I see you are already familiar with a Ailuros. A charming one, isn’t she? She doesn’t bite, she’s soft and will tear a hole into your soul and mind… Quite a beautiful creature.”

 

So a black cat’s name was Ailuros. Joseph made a mental node.

 

He said nothing in response and sat down. A cat walked around him and took a place by his left hand, on a pillow.

 

Doctor settled for a wooden stool.

 

“So…” - he began, while tracing down the metal stitch with his finger. That didn’t make Joe feel any easier. “Do you remember your name?”

 

Surprisingly normal question for a person like that.

 

“I do.” No reason to lie here.

 

Doctor cocked his head to a side.

 

“I feel like we got off on the wrong foot here.” - He chuckled. “Does my injuries disturb you that much?”

 

Considering that now, as Joseph got a closer look, these stitches were looking like they were melted into the man’s skin - yes, absolutely.

 

Whoops. He might have really just said it out loud.

 

Doctor laughed, likely being amused by Joseph’s reaction.

 

“Melting one’s skin is quite a gruesome procedure, I agree. Still, no need to concern yourself with that - my injuries are quite extreme one for a common man, you see. So, unless you die on my watch, you have absolutely nothing worry about.”

 

“So if I did die, there would be something to be concerned about?!”

 

“You would be dead, so no worries for you either way!” the genuine smile caught Joe off guard.

 

“How does being an unwilling test subject sounds to you? If you find it a worthy cause, you can kill yourself right now and this freak Crunchy here will take a good care of you.”

 

“Thank you, cat. You’re not helping.”

 

So that was a mysterious Crunchy she mentioned before. One riddle down, myriad more to go.

 

Doctor held out his hand for a shake.

 

“Name’s Roth, the ship’s doctor. The rest of the crew calls me Crunchy, feel free to do that as well.”

 

His hand was rough, the barely noticeable web of scars were covering his palm. His grip was very strong. Joe briefly thought that such hand would be more suitable for a soldier, rather than a doctor - not that he would’ve known the difference.

 

“Joseph.”

 

“Joseph, Joseph…” Roth has repeated his name a couple of times, as if trying to taste it. “I think I like this name. This is a good name.”

 

“Why “Crunchy”?” Joe was genuinely curious.

 

Doctor wordlessly pulled the trousers on his right leg. Upon seeing an artificial metal leg replacing a normal flesh one, Joe had no further questions. Except for one, but he wasn’t really sure if it would be appropriate to ask.

 

Doctor Roth beat him to it.

 

“Just an accident. My work is pretty dangerous, you see. Even to myself, sometimes.” He chuckled in bemused tone.

 

The cat decided to interject, noticing Joseph’s discomfort.

 

“Roth is a good doctor, just a li-i-ittle bit out there. You can totally trust his skills, just don’t mind his creepiness. Or his interests.”

 

The Good Doctor turned to a cat.

 

“You always giving out the best complements, aren’t you?”

 

“You, people, are invading my place, why do I have to be nice to you?! Especially you! You know, the next time you bring another bo-”

 

She suddenly cut herself off mid-sentence, shifting her glare from Roth to Joseph. Her ears went low and her tail was rapidly moving back and forth.

 

Joe was startled by an unexpected reaction. He was looking at both of his new acquaintances, with a pure confusion in his mind.

 

A doctor’s face shifted, his eyes darkened. He opened his mouth, then closed it, awkwardly trying to form a smile - except this time, a forced nature of the expression and a metal scar together were creating a very unsettling impression.

 

A loud growl returned with a vengeance. It broke thorough a stalemate like an icebreaker, making doctor abruptly stand up, making cat’s ears perk up in surprise and making Joe remember that he hasn’t eaten for quite some time.

 

Actually, what time was it?

 

“How long have I been here?”

 

“About five hours.” Cat replied.

 

“When Xander first brought you here, you had a hu-u-u-uge bump on your head. Honestly, I’d bet my money on you getting blessed by a Deity of fortune back there - our mountain of muscle can easily kill even the most hardened soldiers in one punch and lift a cannon on his own… The fact that you’ve survived and recovered in only five hours is nothing short of a miracle.”

 

Roth pulled out a pair of white gloves.

 

“So, before eating, let’s do a medical check. Let me see your injuries…”

 

The procedure went by fairly quickly, even though Roth was very through in his examination. The pale skin in the place of impact did make him scowl, but after confirming that Joe didn’t feel any discomfort there, doctor decided to move things along. Eye reaction - by making Joseph focus on a sharp point of the scalpel - mouth and teeth, upper body, lower body, hands and legs.

 

He then asked Joe to walk around for a bit and, somewhat satisfied, allowed Joe to unwrap the thing he brought with him.

 

“Bread, smoked ham and cheese? Looks pretty good. Thank you, doc.”

 

“Anything for a patient.” His was happily smiling again.

 

There was also a flask. Joe picked it up. It was pretty heavy and was wrapped in a skin of some kind of animal. He opened it and took a sip.

 

Water. Just a normal water. Exactly what he needed.

 

Doctor also brought with him a knife and a fork. Despite the meat being burned in some spots, and a cheese being a bit stale, for hungry Joseph it was the best food he has got in a long, long while. Best meals in the best restaurants of the entire world could not dream of coming close to the juiciness of a simple burned meat on a slice of bread, with a cheese on top of it. For the first time in those hours, Joe was completely and utterly relaxed, completely disregarding everything about this bizarre situation he found himself in, with a doctor who had lost his leg happily sharing an offered piece of meat, with a talking cat shaking her head, refusing her portion, but snatching a piece of cheese instead - which Joe found hilariously out of character, but chalked it up to cat just being picky. Besides, if Ailuros really was some kind of a spirit or a demon, then he was not the one to act like he knew what spirit’s tastes are like.

 

“You can take a flask for yourself, if you want. We got plenty anyway.”

 

“Shankyou, Rosh,” he really should’ve finished his food, but he was starving. “I have no pockets for it, though.”

 

“Want me to make you some now? It’s won’t hurt much, I promise.”

 

“Human skin is not a good material, doc.”

 

“Skin might not be, but the muscle…”

 

“I’d rather ask for my clothes back, thank you very much.”

 

Bemused chuckle escaped from doctor’s lips.

 

“Well, about that…” He scratched the neck near a melted skin. “Xander took everything you had on you. If you want to get them back, you should just ask him.”

 

“Xander?…”

 

“Our beloved quartermaster. He was the one who brought you in.”

 

“Is he, like, tall, with black fur and looks like a cat that slept with a snake?…”

 

“That’s the one! I see at least some of your memories are actually intact, that’s great!”

 

The mental image of the 2 metres tall giant wasn’t giving Joe any confidence. But he had to get his things back, one way or another.

 

“Is there something I could wear for a time being?”

 

Roth nodded.

 

“We have some old clothes. They’re in a decent shape, maybe a bit dusty, since nobody was wearing them for for months. Still laying somewhere in the Hold.”

 

“Wouldn’t moths be a problem, if it’s not used for this long?”

 

“Moths?” Roth looked like he was genuinely puzzled. “We are at least fifteen kilometres away from a nearest land, and the crew always checks through everything every other day. No way there is a single moth on a ship - we would have got rid of them immediately.”

 

Joseph felt like he got poured over from a pot with cold water. That was a lot of new information to process. If he was on a ship, why there was no motion? He also remembered that Roth was referring to a cat-like giant beast as a Quartermaster, provided it was really him who brought his motionless body on a ship. If that’s the case…

 

“Why did you attack that ship?”

1