Chapter IV.3 – The First Landing
32 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

After the rat-face was gone, armsmaster pushed his chair back, crouched down, and after some cursing and groaning, put something on a table.

 

Joseph saw a simple metal hilt, covered in a worn out black leather, sticking out of the sheath. The weapon was pretty long, almost the same length as his forearm and half of his wrist combined.

 

He slowly pulled the weapon out. It was a knife, with broad and sharp blade and jagged edge on the side closer to him. It was kept clean and ready, but it was not new by any means, with multiple scratches on it’s surface showing the experiences it went through.

 

“A souvenir. Thought I’d get you something for your first taste of the land. Good companion, useful for both slashing and stabbing. Strap it to your belt and never take it off.”

 

Joe carefully slid his finger alongside the blade. His eyes caught unusualy deep scratches. Combined, they could represent some kind of pattern, but Joe had no idea what it meant.

 

“It’s… very old, isn’t it?”

 

Ralf’s half-smile was his answer.

 

“What gave that away? I kept it in good condition through and through. It won’t break on you.”

 

“That’s not what I am worrying about…”

 

There was something about this knife. About it’s history.

 

“Ralf…”

 

“What are you getting all sentimental for, kid? I wanted to toss that knife into the void a long time ago, but this little guy didn’t deserve such blasphemous fate. Now, it’s yours.”

 

There was something he wasn’t saying. Something that was hanging in the air between them, but sometimes Joe just could not read subtle hints and atmosphere for the life of him.

 

“Thank you, Ralf.” Was all he could muster to say.

 

The big man chuckled and waved him off.

 

“Move along, you have your job to do.”

 

*****

 

The job he had indeed. He was feeling both excited and anxious. His hands were shaking a bit, but it was better to get it all out now, before diving head first into the unknown.

 

Pat emerged from a storage, across the doctor’s room. His backpack looked almost fully staffed.

 

“Taking this seriously, huh? But where are your bombs and weapons, sir?”

 

“I have no need to report to the likes of you.” Pat whipped out a sharp answer and stern gaze. But then he stopped for a second, sighed and continued talking, this time much calmer and a bit apologetic. “We’re only scouting. I wanted to pick some of the local flora for analysis, so the hunting is on the rest of the team.”

 

“I see. You will hang back and be ready with medical supplies in case of emergency, while me and the rest of the crew will be your bodyguards. You are not taking point on this one, right?”

 

Pat nodded.

 

“Pretty much. I’ll let Xander pick a leader for this, since I’m just a scientist and a doctor. I’m familiar with weapons, but physical combat is not my forte, so it will be all up to you.”

 

“That’s quite a heavy responsibility you are throwing on me here.”

 

Doctor’s assistant smirked.

 

“Better start taking it now, don’t you think?”

 

Both of them went down all the way to the Hold. The Boat Deck was all the way across, on the other side, where Joe saw a door during the first meeting with Grigory.

 

A bunch of familiar faces greeted them.

 

“Irfan? So you’re the hunter, then?”

 

“That I am.” Irfan was armed for a war. Poor innocent animals. With a backpack, huge axe, a knife, rifle and pistol and bundle of rope, they stood no chance against that savage man.

 

“Hey, look who it is! It’s a guy that clawed from the dead!”

 

“He wasn’t dead, idiot. He was injured.”

 

“Joe, Irfan! Good to see ya, lads.”

 

Henry, Duncan and Rodger, three guys he and hunter arid were sharing drinks just this morning. Vas, the mimic was also there, but he was silent. As always.

 

And of course, each and every one of them were just as well armed. Duncan went a step further, bringing not one, but two types of rifles with him - Standard bolt-action and usual blunderbuss.

 

“Ei, Zan, why there’s no air rifles on the ship? I thought you had some left in cargo, no?”

 

“We had only three, and some dumb hoodlums with a water for brains decided that it would a good idea to test them during a practice without warning me, or Alchfrid. Guess what happened then.”

 

Henry snorted.

 

“Well, a damn shame. Guess we are stuck with good old sticks.”

 

“Those sticks served us perfectly fine for a century and more, you old crank. Get your head in the game and get moving.”

 

“Joseph, Pat, wait.” Xander called out to them. He fumbled around in his pockets and pulled out a couple of folded spyglasses.

 

“What about Irfan?” There were only two of them.

 

“I gave him one, but he says he has no need for that. So it’s yours now. Nothing against you, Joseph, I just have only a few undamaged left. And a hunter would get more use out of one.”

 

Joe nodded and put spyglass in a pocket. It did hurt him a bit, but he was getting used to the fact that Xander was treating him like a rookie. Which he absolutely was.

 

Still, it was fairly annoying…

 

There were four boats in total. There were not pointy, as normal water-riding were - these ones had a rectangular shape, with high covers and round corners. Each of them had a metal box that was taking up almost a quarter of the boat, and had three levers sticking out of it. An engine, probably.

 

Each boat had four thrusters at the sides - two at the front, facing backwards and two at the back, with muzzles on both sides.

 

But an even more interesting detail was that boats had rails around their bottom. Joe looked down, where they were stationed, and saw wheels underneath, on the ledges projected from the wall.

 

Joseph was wondering - why not do it the opposite way? Wheels on a boat, rails on the walls?

 

Xander’s shout pulled him out from his thoughts.

 

“Alright, you ready, scouts?”

 

Almost everyone growled something positive.

 

“Good. Then, take three boats. Pat, Joe, Irfan to this one, Henry and Vas, you take this one and Duncan with Rodger, this one’s yours.”

 

Irfan stepped closer to a side of the boat and easily jumped over the side cover. Pat and Joe joined him shortly after, not as extravagantly - by slowly stepping over. Their teammates were already in theirs, Henry was telling a joke to Vas who was nodding silently, and Duncan was discussing different tastes of beer with Rodger.

 

“Now, who is gonna fly?” That was Pat who asked this question.

 

Joe and Irfan exchanged looks.

 

“Can’t you control this thing?”

 

“I can, but I thought one of you wanted to try. Any volunteers?”

 

“Pass here.” Irfan refused.

 

Joe looked at a panel. There were up-down arrow signs on top of one of the levers, in the middle. One on the left had no signs, but had a wider hole around it’s base, allowing for more movement. And third, smallest one, had only three positions - left, middle and down. There was a key sign above it.

 

“If you tell me how, I can try.”

 

“The key lever is igniter. You move it to middle to provide electricity and down to activate engine. Middle is height, it controls back thrusters. Watch out, and don’t sit close to them. Left is direction - down is forward, the lower the faster. Up is backwards, obviously.”

 

Xander shouted from above them, staying near a panel in the middle of the room.

 

“Ready?”

 

“Yeah!”

 

“God speed, lads. Good luck!”

 

He pressed a couple of buttons and pulled a lever.

 

The lights above the ship wall were brightening up, as a section of the same wall was slowly opening downwards, revealing the space outside.

 

“Enable power, hold for a second, then ignite!”

 

Joe followed Pat’s instructions. Engine revved up, with growling sound of an old man waking up from his slumber.

 

“Now slowly, slowly!… Yes, correct. Just move at this pace.”

 

Joe pulled the lever down. Boat slid of a track, and was now hovering in midair, moving forward with a speed of a glacier.

 

“Now, when we arrive to the land, I want you to turn that around.”

 

“You kidding me? I don’t have a licence for that kind of maneuver!”

 

“You can do it. I believe in you.” The gleeful sarcasm in his voice was unbearable.

 

While the boat was drifting forward, Joe looked back at the ship. He totally underestimated how huge it actually was back then, as this gigantic metal beast with the size of a rectangular ocean liner, was looking even bigger from the outside.

 

It also had a backward thrusters near the front, rails near the bottom and was of a similar shape as a boat. The rails had a huge black double cannon on them, that was idle and unmoving, with its barrels pointing down.

 

He shuddered at the sight of thirty cannons staring at him. How would it feel to be on the other side of their carnage? Joe had no idea if he wanted to know the answer. But if he hesitant, then…?

 

Then part of you is excited to be the target of these cannons.

 

He pushed that thought away. But he couldn’t really deny it either…

 

“Eyes upfront, pilot!”

 

They were a stone throw away from a ledge. Joe swore, and put a control lever in the middle, slowing down the boat to a stop. Then he pulled it up and to the left, turning it around.

 

“Smart. Reversing before the land.”

 

Joe has ignored a backhanded compliment, focusing entirely on the island. His boat was hovering about couple metres higher than it should’ve been. He pulled a height lever down, directing it to the earth, then up to align it, continuing on slow speed throughout, flying backwards. Now he was hovering in mere centimetres. He put the boat on full stop. The four members of strike team has already landed and were now watching a show with him as the main star, laughing.

 

“Well done, captain. Now just turn it off the same way, hold for a second.”

 

Boat fell on the ground, sending shock through Joe’s body. He released a lever, wiped the sweat and crawled out.

 

Pat was looking at him with some degree of respect.

 

“Not too bad for your first ride, I’ll give you that.”

 

Joe just waved him off, grabbing a rifle out of scabbard on the back. The rest of their group stopped laughing, prepared weapons and put on the best serious faces they had.

 

“So, who’s the leader then? Our scaly cat didn’t forget to mention that little detail, that oblivious simpleton?”

 

“Don’t call him that, mate. But man is right, who’s calling the shots?”

 

All seven of them looked at each other.

 

“That’s… quite a conundrum.” Even Pat was dumbfounded. “I thought he did chose a leader.”

 

Rodger stepped towards a forest.

 

“Does it matter? I don’t mind calling shots, lads, if it takes us home faster.”

 

“Now hold on there, mate.” Henry stopped him. “I am your senior by two years, rookie, you give that captain hat to me!”

 

“Your stupid demand is proof enough that the commander’s mantle is wasted on you. And on your fake beard.”

 

“What did you say, you lousy bard?! Your singing sucks horse’s big dong all day long!”

 

“You are just jealous of my singing, you piss for brains!”

 

“Lads, what kind of kid’s squabble is this?” Poor Rodger.

 

“Get lost!/Shut up, Rodger!”

 

Pat, Joe, Irfan and Vas were watching a scene with surprise, irritation, confusion and stoic silence.

 

“What in the void is going on?”

 

Joe simply walked around these two angry men. He stepped on the edge of the forest, then turned around and waved his hand.

 

Pat and Irfan glanced at each other.

 

“You think we should leave them like this?”

 

Hunter shrugged and began to move towards the forest. Pat hurried after them, leaving Vas and the rest of the group behind.

0