Chapter 1
28 0 3
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

*Slurp* heralded the end of Sagi’s lunch, which went down quicker than Alric’s meal. He ate solids, after all. Had to actually chew it, rather than just literally gulping it down. And despite the low quality of the food and the fact they were eating out of a food van, he certainly had a touch of decorum to his breakfast, lunch, and dinner.

“Why wolf?” She suddenly asked, taking off the lid to lick off the remaining blood. It wasn’t great, out of some swine that was bred for blood and meat alone. There were small differences between each animal’s blood in taste, but nothing could beat the taste of an Ephemeral. She chased one down with a dead only order on him and made him a snack. It was a very nice snack.

“Mm? N-no, this is Swine. We got the combo, remember?” Alric asked, confused at the sudden question.

“I meant, why is the phrase Wolf it down. I mean, sure some of you can be messy but so can we. And I see a lot of Lykos with at least some table manners. So, why wolf? As in, wolf it down” she explained further.

“Ohh, right. I…Pass, on that one. Maybe our ancestors didn’t have the same decorum as modern Lykos. Or they didn’t like cutlery. It is well documented that the ancient Lykos were savage” Alric sat up from his meal and turned fully to Sagi.
“Mmm, documented by Vaspier, you mean. Honestly, don’t think I’d trust that” Sagi finished scrapping all she could out of the cup and threw it in the bin.

“They might have exaggerated but even Modern Lykos are prone to tearing a man to bloody gibblets if they are riled. Ancient Lykos could have less self-control than the brothers of today” Alric replied. A conversation was always a nice thing; he had heard of the brothers that barely got along with their partner to the point of not engaging with them at all outside of what was absolutely necessary. The Claw and Blood Pact was not something everyone engaged with, but everyone accepted it because it kept out War. Hence why the Vaspier or Lykos that did not like each other at least tolerated the other’s presence when required. There were enough of the long-lifed Vaspier and Lykos to have lived in the War.

“Language is a strange thing” Sarasagi eventually exclaimed, nodding softly to her own words before she got a beep. New target, coming down the road behind them even.

“Trouble?” Alric asked as Sagi got up from her chair and walked into the middle of the road.

“Nothing I can’t handle, finish lunch” she replied, looking up and down the road, and then hearing the roar of an overtaxed engine. Judging proper distance and direction, she smirked softly to herself.

“Dead, or Alive?” Sagi asked, keeping her eyes focused on the stretch of road that would soon have a car.

“Unstated” Alric replied, which was cause for celebration. If they didn’t state, then nine times out of ten, someone was getting eaten by the end of this. Sagi’s beautiful pale skin flushed red and then she was gone. A lesser creature – like the Ephemeral running the stand – might have thought her hit by the car that suddenly shot past at well over a hundred miles an hour. But Alric had spotted her leap upwards and land on the bonnet, to be carried away with them.

“Always the show-off. Couldn’t have just stopped it. Nooooo” Alric muttered to himself, shaking his head and finishing his meal at a slightly increased pace.

 

Sagi, on the other hand, was standing on the car, one foot on the bonnet, the other on the windshield, and seemingly not bothered by the problems of such high speed. Her normally soft red – almost pink - eyes were glittering a deep crimson, and a smile showed off the large fangs in her mouth. Usually, they were small and unseeming, enough to puncture the skin and take a bit of blood, but easily missable. The fangs she currently had were anything but missable, and would rip a vicious hole in the skin, making a mess of everything and spilling more blood than was drunk.

“Stop the car~” Sagi shouted, roaring over the noise of the wind to the Ephemerals in the car, gesturing with her hands to make sure they heard. They didn’t agree with her, and through their own shouting, even shoot at her. Sagi quickly shifted herself out of the way of the bullet, and drew her own weapon. This mammoth revolver was used for intimidation more than anything, but was also handy for sticking rounds into engine blocks. Two rounds later, Whining and spluttering followed, with a bit of fire spitting out as the engine cried from trying to carry on, and then failed and died, causing the car to slow to a stop.

Not yet in the way of giving up, the Ephemerals tried to scurry out of the car but found the doors blocked by Sagi, who had moved faster than could be thought to head them off. Sufficiently terrifying by the admittedly alarming form she was currently wearing, Sagi added fuel to fire by smashing her fist through the window, and ripping the driver out of the seat. Blood sprayed everywhere from the wound, and then the man's corpse was tossed aside by the now sanguine-soaked Sagi. A few seconds passed of screams and other mind-wrenching terror inspired noises followed as the Ephemerals tried to fuse with the car to be unseen. It did not work very well.

“Mmm, so wish I could get a blood doll. Out of the car, lads” she ordered, cocking her head and gesturing with her hand. She could hear the sirens of police following the, so she’d be free of them soon. Not that these guys wanted to run. They filtered out of the car and then stood stock still, as if she was an animal that was attracted to movement and wouldn’t kill them so long as they didn’t move. Which was partially true. Reverting back to her more nominal form, she took out some napkins and began to wipe herself clean of the mess.

Eventually the police arrived, and stared at the men, and then the dead man on the ground. One was older, his eyes had turned from the near-pink of young Vaspier to a clear red of middle-aged Vaspier. He and his Lykos partner set about arresting the surviving Ephemerals, and one came to Sagi. This one, opposed to his partners, had the same near-pink as Sagi did.

“No wonder they don’t feel valued, with people like you just eating them in the streets” he tossed the insult at her, clearly having no respect for someone who had just done his job for him.

“They don’t send me after valued Ephemerals, darling” Estaria replied, grinning sadistically.

“And that name to boot. This upright was inevitable. How could nobody see that?” he went on a rant, and Estaria sighed, her eyes rolling from the man.

“And your plan is? Takes a lot of time and effort to make what they need to survive, and you want them to just get it without giving anything back? And what's wrong with the name? They are Ephemerals because they die, very quickly. As opposed to us, who die very slowly. One Vaspier can outlive a hundred generations of Ephemerals. Hence the name, Ephemeral. Which means to be gone very quickly” Sagi’s words set the man on edge and they were baring teeth at each other before Alric appeared and put his great hands on the two Vaspier's shoulders.

“Come now, there is no need to get into a fight. These Ephemerals chose their own path, and all we can do is react to it” the large man spoke, and the policeman looked up with a surprised face. Clearly, he was just off his mother’s teet to be so sterotypical towards Lykos and so uneducated to the intricate politics of the planet. At a word from his partner, he growled – a growl returned with interest by Sagi – and then left.

“Not even five minutes, huh?” Alric said, shaking his head and laughing softly. “Come on, let’s get paid”

3