Chapter 49
150 1 6
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

 

We walk in, he moving jerkily in his anger and I in a leisurely manner flirting my fan.  Women servants move to follow in our wake, heads bowed and hands hidden in their sleeves.  They all look terrified.  I find myself in a large banqueting hall decorated with luxurious hangings.  Tables are set on each side, leading up to a platform at the far end.  On it there’s a huge elaborately-carved golden throne, as big if not bigger than the Imperial throne.  A man clad in gold and silver brocade is sitting on it, surrounded by brightly-dressed people.  More people are standing to the side behind the tables, some of them servants, some of them soldiers, some of them women in flowing dresses. 

Take note of your surroundingsAnalyze expressions and movements.  Keep alert.  Be aware of the atmosphere.

I stroll lazily forward between the tables, looking round as if in appraisal.  The women are all young and among them are young men.  I suddenly realize that this is the harem, gathered to greet its newest member.  Their clothes are revealing, transparent.  Some of the young men are naked from the waist up, despite the cold.  The soldiers are armed with lances, staring straight ahead, impassive.  The servants are bowed almost to the ground, like the eunuchs in the Palace.  There’s an oppressive atmosphere which I finally identify as fear.  It clings to the walls like slime.  These people aren’t here to enjoy a banquet.  They’re here because they can’t do otherwise.

As I approach the throne, I remember Qin Feng’s injunctions and sway my hips a little.  The King leans forward slightly, as if to get a better look.  He’s fattish, with the pale complexion of someone who rarely goes outdoors.  A small moustache adorns his upper lip and a thin beard sprouts from his chin.  He’s sweating slightly, though the hall’s very cold.  The people surrounding him are mostly very young men, though beside him there’s a smaller throne with a woman sitting on it, elaborately-dressed and made-up, body hunched, hands clutched together in her lap, eyes downcast.  She looks half-dead with fear.

As I get closer, the King shuffles forward to sit on the edge of the huge throne.  I perform a bow which I have practised in my tent.  As I raise my head, I send the King a smile and say, as teasingly as I can, “Greetings to Illustrious King Wang Meng from Sixth Imperial Prince Yan Jinhai.  I hope your Majesty’s well.”

His small eyes are avid.  He licks his lips before he answers, “Welcome, Your Highness.  I trust your journey was comfortable?”

“Well, I wouldn’t exactly say comfortable,” I say, straightening up and unfurling the fan again.  “They did the best they could, I suppose.  You know what soldiers are.”

I look at him flirtatiously from behind the fan and see his pudgy hands grip one another.

“I’m sure I’ll be very comfortable here,” I add. 

He’s really falling for this. 

Don’t get over-confidentLet your guard down and you’re done for.

 “The banquet’s ready, Your Highness.  Why don’t you join us?”  Yi Yong has come up behind me.

Don’t eat or drink anything they give you.

“Ah,“ I say, feigning an embarrassed cough.  “I’ve been unwell recently because of the terrible food I’ve been getting.  You’ll have to forgive me, but I’m only allowed to eat porridge for the time being.  Doctor’s orders.  I really daren’t disobey, the consequences would be catastrophic.  And I’ve got to take medicine for it too.  Has my baggage been brought in?”

The King waves a hand and a servant runs out.  The King looks at me and smiles.  Something about the smile makes my flesh creep.

“A drink,” he says, “Just a toast to celebrate your arrival and look forward to us getting to know each other better.”

Behind me, Yi Yong sniggers, very quietly. 

A boy approaches me with a cup on a tray.  He’s about sixteen, his bare chest decorated with jewellery, a collar round his neck.  He’s very beautiful.  His face is taut, but not with fear.

Watch their eyes.  The thought comes before the action.

He raises his eyes and I recognize the expression just before he lunges.  It’s hatred.  The tray and cup hit the ground, a knife flashes in his hand, I dodge out of the way, and as screams ring out, soldiers rush in and grab the boy, forcing him to his knees.  He cries out and the knife clatters to the floor.

The King gets up, his face flushed with anger, and the screams are cut off instantly.  He paces down towards the boy, who cries out, “Spare me, Your Majesty.  I did it because I love you.  Please spare me.”

He takes the boy’s chin in his hand and forces his head up.  “You dare to raise a knife in my presence?  You wish to humiliate me in front of His Imperial Highness?”

“He’ll steal you from me.  Without you I’ll die,” the boy cries.

The King caresses the boy’s hair.  “A pretty child,” he says, his voice silky.  “A pity.”  He looks up.  “Throw him to the guards.  When they’ve finished with him, take him to the punishment cell.  I’ll deal with him myself.”

The boy’s dragged out, still begging for his life.  The rest of the harem has been terrified into silence, except for somebody whimpering somewhere.  The woman on the throne has her hands up to her mouth, her eyes stretched wide open.

Expect the unexpected.  Be ready to use it to your advantage.

This is the moment for a fit of hysteria.  “He tried to kill me!” I don’t need to fake the tremor in my voice, though it’s the King’s behaviour that’s caused it, not the amateurish attempt on my life.  I raise a hand to my face, fluttering the fan for all it’s worth.  “I feel unwell.  I wish to retire.  Please take me to my quarters.”

“Yes, yes.”  The King’s distracted, looking in the direction of the begging voice that we can still hear faintly.  Then he turns to me.  “Take the Prince to his quarters.” He looks me up and down and moistens his lips.  “I’ll come and visit you later,” he says.  “To make sure you’re well-settled.”

I give him a tremulous smile.  “I’ll be honoured, Your Majesty.”

Yi Yong says, “If Your Imperial Highness will follow me,” and leads the way towards a doorway.  Several female servants follow carrying my baggage, together with two guards.  We go up and up a dark winding staircase, lit only by a few burning torches.  Finally we reach a spacious room with a window giving onto a balcony.  The furnishings are shabby:  a moth-eaten carpet, a large bed with dusty hangings, a carved table with two chairs, a screen, a couch and several wooden chests. 

The two guards have stayed outside.  The women servants put down my belongings and leave the room, heads still bowed.  I look at Yi Yong with my eyebrows raised, to see that the sneer has returned to his face.  He comes towards me.  My immediate instinct is to defend myself, but I can’t give the game away this early.  He pushes me roughly up against the wall with one hand while the other goes down to grip my vital parts.

“You little bitch,” he spits into my face.  His breath smells disgusting.  I try to turn my face away but he grips my chin and forces me to look at him.  “You can try and charm the King but let me tell you, the King and I share everything.  So when he’s finished with you, I’ll be next in line.  Then you’ll be the one kneeling, servicing me.”

With a final painful squeeze he lets go, steps back, shakes out his sleeves and leaves, slamming the door behind him. 

A killing rage rises up in me.  I’m going to get that bastard, one way or another. 

But before that I have a job to do.

Self-defence is about using whatever weapons are near to hand.  Be observant.  Identify potential weapons.  Check out possible escape routes.

The window hasn’t been opened for years, but I finally move it enough to allow me to squeeze out onto the balcony.  But there’s no way anything but an eagle could escape from here.  I’m way up, miles above the courtyard, the city and the valley far, far away.  Somewhere down there, the troop must be waiting, ready to come back at dawn tomorrow.  Somewhere on the plateau behind the Palace, our men are preparing to move into place.

Coming back into the room, I check out the door.  Opening it a fraction, I see a guard outside.  He glances at me and then glances away.  A woman appears, one of the servants by the look of her.  Bowing, she says in a soft voice, “Does Your Highness require anything?”

“Hot water, please.”

“As your Highness desires.”

No way out there either.  The door locks on the outside, but to my immense relief, there’s also a bolt on the inside.  Once I’ve overpowered the King, I’ll be able to lock us both in and hopefully hold out till dawn.

I make a rapid search of the room.  Behind the screen there are washing implements and a chamber-pot.  The quilts on the bed are musty and stained with heaven knows what.  One of the chests contains a variety of implements that I don’t recognize at first.  Then I feel my stomach lurch as I realize they’re restraints and tools for torture.  I fight down panic.  I’m already shaken by the casual brutality with which the King disposed of the boy who tried to knife me.  I knew the King was a cruel and perverted man, but the reality of it is difficult to handle.

A soft knock comes on the door.  I say, “Enter,” and the woman comes in with a cloth over her arm and a large basin of hot water in her hands.  She puts the basin down on the table and bows. 

“Does Your Highness need anything else?”

“Not at the moment.  You may go.”

She bows again.  Then before leaving, she takes something out of her sleeve and puts it on the table by the basin, at the same time raising her head so I can see her face.  Then she withdraws, closing the door softly behind her.  I hurry to the table.  The item she’s left is a piece of jade.  This is the token I’ve been told to look out for.  She’s the contact in the Palace.  Suddenly, I don’t feel so alone.

I have no idea what time the King’s planning to visit his new acquisition.  The sky darkens and stars emerge.  It’s a beautiful night, but very cold.  Servants bring me food on a tray, with a jug of wine.  I scrape the food out onto the balcony and empty half the wine into the chamber-pot.  I eat the food packed in my baggage.  I also have a jar of untouched wine and a water-bottle.  The medicine jars have all survived intact. 

The periods of waiting are the most difficult.  Don’t lose your concentration.  Stay focused.

Another servant comes and removes the food tray, but time ticks by and my worry mounts.  If the King doesn’t come, the whole plan risks falling through.  If we can control the King, we can control the kingdom.  But I start to wonder if I’ve overestimated my personal charms.

He finally shows up some hours after dusk.  I hear the procession coming along the corridor and assume a languid pose at the table, my legs crossed.  The King bustles in followed by a servant carrying a tray with a wine jug and two cups.  He’s wearing a light robe with a fur cloak thrown over his shoulders and his face is flushed.  He seems to be in a state of feverish excitement.  Without his state robes, he looks like an ordinary householder.

Don’t underestimate your adversaries.  Stay on your guard at all times.

I rise and repeat my elegant bow, smiling welcomingly.  “This humble Prince greets his Majesty.  I’m honoured by your visit.”

The servant puts the tray on the table and hurries out.  The King follows him to the door and bolts it.  He’s smiling, but as he comes back, I notice his hands are trembling.   I feign concern.

“Your Majesty, are you well?  You seem troubled.”

“Perfectly well.  Come, sit with me.”

He sits on the couch and pats the place next to him.  I steel myself.  Smiling, I move over and sit near, but not too near.  He reaches out and strokes my cheek.  His hand’s hot and moist. 

“Unparalleled beauty.  So the reports said, but I didn’t believe them.  But they were true.  And ….” his hand slides down my neck towards the collar of my robe, “....untouched.”  He licks his lips again.  I notice that one of his eyes has a slight twitch.  His hand continues to wander downwards.  I think about Shoushou and the other girls at the Lotus Garden, who have to put up with this kind of thing every night.  As his hand goes down below my sash, I give it a sharp tap with my fan and laugh playfully.

“You’re so impatient, Your Majesty.  I don’t know much about these things, but surely they shouldn’t be hurried?”  I accompany this with a glance from under my lashes. 

He smiles, but there’s no humour in his eyes.  He takes my chin in his hand and turns my face towards his.  For a horrible moment I think he’s going to kiss me, but instead he says, “No, there’s plenty of time.  We have all night.  But little Princes should be careful.  Do you know what happened to the boy who tried to kill you?”  He moves nearer.  “I gave him to my guards to play with.  And then I punished him myself.  His body will be thrown out for the crows.  It doesn’t do to displease me, little Prince.”

With a thrill of disgust, I see he’s in a state of arousal. 

“I – I shan’t displease you, Your Majesty.  It’s just that this is a new experience for me…”

“So it is.  And we’ll make the most of it.  A drink perhaps.  To relax you?”

He lets go of my chin and moves to the table to pour wine.  I’m watching carefully and perhaps because his hands are trembling, he’s clumsy and I see quite clearly that he’s dropped something into one of the wine cups.  He brings it over and hands it to me.

I have a strategy prepared for this.  I smile at him over the rim of the cup and sniff the wine.  Then I say, “But this wine’s sour!  Your Majesty’s been cheated!”

He’s taken aback by this, but before he can say anything, I leap up and rush to where my baggage is piled.  I take out the jar of wine and hold it up triumphantly.  “I brought this all the way from the capital.  It's from my father the Emperor’s stock.  I’m sure it’ll please you, your Majesty.”  Still chattering, I throw the contents of both cups carelessly onto the carpet.  Holding my sleeve back, I pour a fresh cup for him with a deliberately graceful movement.  I have Liang Zhou’s sleeping pill in my sleeve.  Unobtrusively I drop it in and watch as it dissolves instantly.  I take the cup and present it to him on one knee, giving him another flirtatious look as I do so.  He licks his lips again and with his eyes fixed on me, he takes the cup and knocks the whole contents back in one go.  I hasten to pour more and say, “A toast to our meeting, Your Majesty.”  Then I sit down beside him and edge closer, my leg nudging his.

I forgot to ask how long this damn pill takes to work.

As it turns out, it’s practically instantaneous.  As the King reaches for me, he falters and holds a hand to his head.  He mutters something, screws his face up in a frown and falls gently forward into my arms.  Blessing Liang Zhou, I lay him back on the couch.

And then I get the fright of my life.

A section of the wall-panelling bursts open and Yi Yong lurches out in a state of utter panic.  He rushes towards the couch, so upset that he can hardly get the words out.  “What – what have you done? …. the King…. you’ve killed him….”

Without thinking, I leap onto the couch and as Yi Yong comes towards me, still gobbling incoherently, I take one step onto the table to gain extra height, launch myself from it, seize him by the head as Shao Ru has taught me and break his neck with one swift twist.  He collapses without a word and I land on top of him.  I crouch there, listening for sounds from outside.  But the door’s thick and the guards are no doubt trained to ignore cries for help.  Nothing stirs.

I get to my feet, my heart thumping.  I’ve killed a man.  I push him with my foot and his head rolls sickeningly to one side.  But what the hell was he doing?  I investigate the open panel and find a small room behind it with a door leading out.  There’s a key in the lock.  I turn it, just in case.  Then when I inspect the open panel, I suddenly understand. There’s a spyhole.  Yi Yong likes to watch the show.  No doubt he also likes to take part from time to time. 

I suddenly need fresh air.  Outside on the balcony, the near-freezing cold clears my head.  Only a few hours to go and this will all be over.  Then I remember the horrible cracking noise that Yi Yong’s neck made when I broke it, and all of a sudden, nausea seizes me.  Helplessly, I vomit everything in my stomach out there on the balcony.  When I’m empty, I collapse in a heap, my limbs weak.

There’s only one thought that's keeping me going. 

The Commander said he would come and get me.

6