Chapter 94
111 0 4
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

 

In the morning, I resume my struggle with the accounts.  I now have a pretty good idea of how much money is owed by the Lei business.  It’s a horrifyingly large sum.  I‘ve drawn up a list of all the creditors.  But there’s no record of how much money came in from the business over the last year and a half.

Mid-morning, Lei Qing knocks at my door.  “News from the magistrate,” she says, “It seems that Madam Zhong’s fled back to her own family and divorced her husband.  She’s suing him for the return of her dowry.  So many people have laid complaints that Zhong Jun’s been arrested, in case he tries to do a moonlight flit.”

“Serves him right.  With a bit of luck, the Zhong family will be ruined.”

“Good,” she says.  She comes further into the room.  “Ah-Jing, I have a request.”

“Ask away.”

“Will you show me how to do the accounts?  Now that Ah-Lin’s got himself a job, I’m beginning to feel useless.  I’ve had enough of being the Young Miss of the Lei family.  I need to do something.”

“It’d be my pleasure,” I say.  “Come and sit down.”

We spend the rest of the morning talking about accounting.  I already know she’s a quick learner, but all the same, I’m surprised at how fast she picks up the essentials.  I explain the situation to her and outline the main problem.  “I’ve got a good idea of the outgoings, but not a clue about what’s coming in.  The Zhongs just didn’t keep any business records.  I don’t know what they were thinking of.”

She ponders for a moment.  “Well, there are two sources of income, if I understand things correctly:  the business itself and the farm.”

“The farm?  This is the first time I’ve heard about a farm.”

“It’s just outside the city.  We grow grain.  We keep some of it and sell what’s left.  It brings in a regular annual sum.”

“That should be traceable,” I say, perking up at the thought of getting some concrete evidence.  “Can we go there?”

“I expect so.  We could go this afternoon.  It’s less than an hour on horseback.  I’ll ask Mother.”

Madam Lei gives her permission, so in the early afternoon, Lei Qing and I leave the city, she riding Arrow and I riding Blaze, and make our way to the Lei farm, which is larger than I expected.  No wonder the Zhongs wanted to get their hands on the Lei family’s property.  The farm manager reads the letter Madam Lei’s given us and invites us in for tea.  He’s a solid-looking man in his late twenties, quietly efficient.  He has complete records of all the grain that was sent to the capital in previous years, including last year.

“Last year we were told to sell it all,” he says.  “I was surprised, but those were our instructions, so that’s what we did.  It was a good harvest too, because we have water here on the land.  We got an excellent price, because as I’m sure you know, harvests in most of the country were poor last year because of the drought.  And complete accounts were sent to the Zhong family in the city.”

“So this money went into the Zhong coffers?”  I ask, looking at the neat account books.

 He nods. 

“I wonder what happened to it?  They ran up a huge mountain of debt.”

He coughs politely, looks at us and turns rather red.

“What?” I ask.

“Um – if I may be so bold, we haven’t been receiving money for salaries for several months.  I’ve been paying the workers out of my own pocket.”

“How much do we owe?” Lei Qing asks.

He takes a brush and ink and works it out.  I have Yuan Song’s gold with me.  I retrieve the pouch and count out a few gold pieces.  Both Lei Qing and the farm manager are round-eyed.  Gold has that effect on people.  The farm manager stammers his thanks, holding the gold pieces gingerly, as if they’re about to disappear in a puff of smoke.

“Th – thank you, Young Master, Young Miss.  This year’s harvest has been very good too, so there’ll be a substantial amount coming in when we sell it.”

“That’s excellent news.  We’ll speak to Madam Lei about how much to hold back for family use and send you instructions.  And if you need anything, send a message.”

He bows, smiling.  “Thank you, Young Master, Young Miss.  May I say what a relief it is to see the Lei family return to the capital?”

As we ride out, Lei Qing says, “Ah-Jing, where did that gold come from?”

“I earned it,” I say, smiling.

“But you can’t spend it just like that.  How can we pay you back?”

“I’ve been thinking about investing in your family business.  Think of this as a first instalment.  But don’t say anything to your mother yet, because I haven’t quite worked out the details.  And we’ve got to get clear of this debt before we can start making plans.”

“Do you think we will?”

“I think so.  Some of it, anyway.”

She’s quiet for a moment, then says, “Those Zhongs are despicable.  I hate them.”

“We’ll get our revenge.  Come on, I’ll race you home.”

I‘ve arranged a meeting with Shao Ru and Hao Meng late in the afternoon.  We meet in a private room at Hao Meng’s inn.  It’s the first time the two of them have met.  They size each other up for a few moments like two dogs meeting in the street, but I’m pretty sure they’re going to get on.  Hao Meng doesn’t know what’s going on, so I brief him and see his one eye widen.  But all he says is, “Ha!” 

I outline my plan to rescue Shan’s sister.  “I’ll create the document…”

“You mean forge,” says Shao Ru with a grin.

“All right, I’ll forge the document.  We’ll need a discreet-looking carriage that can hold two people.  I’ll ask Mo Jiang to drive and I want you two and a couple of others to ride behind, dressed as soldiers.  We’ll bluff our way into the temple and demand that they release Young Lady Li into our custody.  Then we’ll drive to another location, where a palanquin will be waiting.  We’ll change into servants’ clothes and convey Young Lady Li to my brother’s mansion.”

I sit back and wait for reactions.

“Could work,” Hao Meng says, “How many guards on the temple gate?”

“Two, usually.”

“And you think you can bluff your way in?”

“Listen,” Shao Ru says, “This little bundle can talk his way in and out of anything.”

“And if things go wrong?”

“We fight our way out,” says Shao Ru, with a snap of his teeth.

“All right, I’m in.  I’ll keep an eye out for two extra men.”

“My sister can get the uniforms,” Shao Ru says, “She’s got access to the Department of Army Supplies.”

I nod.  “Good.  We’ve got enough horses, so all we need are a carriage and a palanquin.”

“Those can be hired on the day,” Shao Ru says. 

“And my brother said he’d get me what I need to produce the document.  So that’s about it really.  All we need to know is when Shan plans to rescue Li Wei.  Have you heard anything, Shao Ru?”

“Nope.  But I expect that nine-tailed fox from the Pavilion will let us know.”  He stretches in his chair.  “Ye Gods, it’s good to get away from the training ground.  Your brother’s a slave-driver.”

“Could it be you’re out of condition?” I ask with a grin.

“I was, but not anymore.  Anyway, now we’re done, how about a drink?”

“Sorry, can’t stay.  I’ve got to go and prepare our defense for the magistrate’s court tomorrow.  But you two go ahead.”

As I take my leave, Shao Ru calls for wine.  I smile to myself.  It’s likely to be a long session.

Next day, the magistrate’s court is packed to the ceiling beams.  Zhong Jun’s there, looking a little frayed around the edges after a couple of nights in prison.  To my surprise, I recognize his brother Zhong Kun, last seen at The Market.  He recognizes me immediately, since I’m sitting at the front in my role as representative of the Lei family, and even though I’m wearing a most unflattering scholar’s hat.  A scowl spreads over his already unprepossessing face.  Next to me is the middle-aged man whose loan was secured on the Lei house.  He introduces himself as Fan Wang and we exchange bows.   A little further away are two hard-faced men whom I don’t recognize.  My neighbour whispers that they’re the ex-Madam Zhong’s brothers.  Behind us is a crowd of people, some of them clutching documents.  I guess they’re owed money too.  Right at the back, I can see Lei Qing and her mother, both veiled and, as women, relegated to obscurity.

The magistrate comes in busily and stops short, taken aback by the apparent popularity of the case.  His first action’s to clear out everyone who doesn’t have a direct interest in the affair.  Then he settles himself, with two clerks sitting at low desks to one side.  A couple of men-at-arms lounge against the wall, presumably to stop the accused from making a run for it.

“Young Master Zhao, I believe you’re representing the Lei family?”  the magistrate says, looking at me.

I get up and make my case.  Unfortunately, there’s very little hope of totally escaping the debt.  What I’m trying to do is to get the amount reduced as much as possible.  I argue that any business debts contracted by the Zhongs after the death of Zhong Buo are not the responsibility of the Lei family, since from that date onwards the Zhongs no longer owned the business.  I produce the magistrate's certificate to prove when Zhong Buo died.   I also argue that debts related to the personal expenses of the Zhong family are not our responsibility either.  Finally I produce the farm accounts and accuse the Zhong family of misappropriating the profits from the grain harvest last year.  I hand all the relevant documents to the clerks and sit down again.

The clerks have their heads together, conferring.  One of them gets up and goes into a huddle with the magistrate.  The magistrate coughs and the buzz of comment in the room dies down. 

“I rule that the debts contracted by Zhong Jun in the name of the Lei business after the death of Zhong Buo are not the responsibility of the Lei family.  Neither are any personal expenses incurred before or after that death.  These debts must be paid by the Zhong family.  My clerks will send both parties a list.  Furthermore, the Zhong family will repay the amount of the proceeds of the grain harvest to the Lei family.  Next complaint.”

Jubilant, I turn and make a triumphant gesture in the direction of Lei Qing and her mother.  Not that I have much hope of Zhong Jun repaying anything, but at least the debt will be less crushing.  Fan Wang struggles to his feet, dropping papers as he goes, and gives a nervously disjointed account of how Zhong Jun borrowed money using a property he didn’t own as collateral.  The magistrate rules that Zhong Jun must repay him in full.  The Zhong faces are growing darker and angrier, but there’s nothing they can do to refute these accusations.  Madam Zhong’s family produces a divorce document and a list of the dowry it expects to be returned.  The magistrate rules in their favour and orders Zhong Jun to return the dowry. 

A clamour's growing in the room now, because the lesser creditors are getting worried that their claims won’t be honoured.  The magistrate grows testy.  “Hand your claims in writing to my clerks,” he snaps.  “I order that Zhong Jun be kept in confinement until all these debts have been repaid by his family.”

The clamour rises to a roar as he escapes through a back door.  Zhong Jun’s removed protesting by the men-at-arms, who push his brother unceremoniously out of the way.  I get up, seize my sweating neighbour’s arm and manoeuvre us both out of the angry crowd, which is now besieging the unfortunate clerks.

“Ah, thank you, Young Master,” he says, setting his hat straight with small fussy gestures, “A good result, though I don’t know whether either of us will ever see our money again.  Are you studying the law by any chance?  No?  You should think about it.”

He bows to Madam Lei and Qing, who have also got themselves out of the crowd, and heads for his waiting sedan-chair.  Zhong Kun strides by, casting furious looks at us as he goes. 

“Ah-Jing, you did it!” Qing exclaims, clapping her hands together.  “How much will be knocked off the debt?”

“I reckon at least half, perhaps more.”

“Young Master Zhao, I don’t know how to thank you,” Madam Lei says, warmly clasping my hands. 

“It’s the least I can do,” I say, smiling, “Now, how about I treat you to lunch?”

I’ve never seen Madam Lei as happy as she looks now, and Qing’s positively bubbling over with delight, so it’s a merry lunch. 

“Such a pity Ah-Lin wasn’t here to see it,” Qing says, as we stroll home, feeling very well-fed.  “He’d have loved every minute.”

When we get home, Wun Yu informs me that a messenger’s waiting in my courtyard.  I rush through, hoping it’s a message from Shan.  A boy from the Cherry Blossom Pavilion is snoozing quietly on the veranda, hands clasped on a large bundle, the grey dog beside him.  The boy wakes up as I appear, like a cat sensing someone approach, never quite fully asleep.

“Present for you, Young Master,” he says, handing me the bundle.

“Thanks.”  I hand over the usual tip and he runs off, grinning.

There’s no message.  Instead there’s a handwritten document and a square, official-looking jade seal.  I’m overwhelmed by disappointment.  I want to see Shan.  I miss him.  How much longer are we going to have to wait?  Or are we always going to be separated like this?  I look at the items in my hands.  This is what I need to forge the official document that we hope will secure Li Lien’s release.  I have work to do.

The day after the court case, we get a letter from the magistrate’s clerk with the new estimate of the debt.  It’s been reduced by two-thirds, which means it’s now manageable.  Lei Qing and I do a little dance of triumph, and then I go into Madam Lei’s office with the good news and plonk a pouch containing gold pieces down on her desk.  She opens it and gasps.

“This is my contribution to the Lei family business,” I say, “There’s enough there to pay off the debt and leave something to spare.  If you agree, I’d like to become a partner.  I can’t give you any details now, but if all goes well, in the future I might be able to put business your way.”

“That would be – I was planning to offer Ah-Lin a partnership in return for his investment, but it would be a great privilege to have you as a partner as well, Young Master Zhao.”

“But there’s something I need to tell you.”

She invites me to sit and calls for tea.  Once we’re alone again, I say, “I’m involved in something which might be dangerous.  I have a task to carry out.  This doesn’t involve your family or Ah-Lin, but it might result in me having to disappear for a while.  The less you know about it, the better, for your own safety.  But this doesn’t change my wish to invest.  And it’ll all be sorted out in the next few days anyway.”

She looks at me gravely.  “I see.  Is there anything I can do to help?”

I feel a sudden rush of warmth.  “I appreciate your offer more than I can tell you.  But the last thing I want is to put you and Ah-Qing in danger.”

“We owe you everything,” she says, “So if there’s anything at any time, tell me.  And we’ll keep the partnership quiet for the time being, till you’ve accomplished your task.  In the meanwhile, I’ll pay off the debts and we can start planning.  Welcome to the Lei family business, Young Master Zhao.”

“What are you looking so pleased about?” says Lei Qing, as I emerge from the house.

“I've just become a partner.  Got to go now, but I’ll be back this afternoon and I'll tell you about it.”

I have in fact arranged a meeting at Shao Su’s house to discuss my plan to rescue Shan’s sister.  Hao Meng and Mo Jiang have been invited.  I’m the last to arrive.  Shao Su’s small house is packed with large men. 

“Ah-Jing, look who’s here,” Mo Jiang says, rising from his seat at the table.  Everyone gets up and to my astonishment and delight, I see two very familiar faces.  “Ah-Yi, Ah-Ying!  I can’t believe it.  When did you get into town?”

“Yesterday,” Ren Baiyi says, embracing me. “We went straight to Liang Zhou’s.”

“And this Mo person recruited us on the spot,” adds Zi Wuying, following suit.

“Couldn’t be better,” I say happily.

“It’s the old team,” says Mo Jiang, grinning. “Well, nearly.”

There isn’t really enough room for us all to move about, so we sit down round Shao Su’s large sewing table.  She provides tea and wine, while a skinny girl-child, the neighbour’s daughter, dashes excitedly in and out with plates of snacks from the street stalls.  At our insistence, Shao Su also takes a seat at the table.  Everyone looks at me expectantly.

“Well, we now have our four soldiers and our driver,” I say.  “Did Ah-Jiang tell you all the details?"

“He did,” says Ren Baiyi.  “Can we look at the plan?”

The plan of the temple’s spread out on the table and the new recruits take a good look at it, nodding and commenting.

“Where do we get the uniforms?” Zi Wuying asks.

Shao Su coughs politely.  “As part of my job, I have to make sure all military uniforms are kept in good condition.  I can take them away for mending and cleaning.  I’ll go tomorrow and get four sets, but I can’t get helmets.  Someone else will have to do that.”

“I will,” Shao Ru says, “I’ve got a mate in the weapons store.”

“Young Master Zhao will need to dress in official robes.  I can provide those too.  The driver should wear his own clothes, as nondescript as possible.”

“Will do,” says Mo Jiang.

“And I thought….”  She stops.

“Go on,” I invite.

“Well, the young lady will need something to change into, after so many months in prison.  I’ll give you something of mine.”

“That’s a good point,” I say, smiling.  “Well, that’s sorted.  When we have a date, we’ll hire the carriage and palanquin.  We need to find a place where we can change from one vehicle to the other.  We’ll change into ordinary clothes and the four of you will carry the palanquin to the Third Prince’s mansion.”

“Which is where?”

Shao Ru has a plan of the city, which he now unrolls.  We all pore over it.

“What we need for the change-over is a warehouse or some similar space,” Mo Jiang says, frowning.  “Can any of your merchant friends help, Ah-Jing?”

“I’ll enquire.  Anyone got any questions?”

No-one has.

“Then send me messages when everything’s been got together.  I’ll try and find out when the Third Prince is planning to move.  Ah-Yi, Ah-Ying, where are you guys staying?”

“Hao Meng says there’s room at his inn.  Come by tonight and we’ll celebrate getting together again.  You’re paying.”

The meeting breaks up and we take our leave, promising to meet again in the evening. 

It’s a rowdy and convivial evening, eating, drinking and swapping stories about our past exploits.  Inevitably, the boozy night leads to a very late morning and I come out blinking into a rather dull day to find a street-child waiting for me with a message.  Shan’s in town.  He’ll meet me at the Cherry Blossom Pavilion this evening.  Reinvigorated, I forget my headache and send the child to the Pavilion with a message for Yuan Song.

 

4