Chapter 96
106 0 4
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Jinhai

 

As the time for my appointment with Shan gets nearer, I get more and more impatient.  Finally, I can’t wait any longer.  I bathe and set off to the Pavilion while it’s still light.  The porter at the back door recognizes me and waves me through.  Busy preparing for the evening’s business, the boys and girls in the house greet me as I make my way to the apartment Yuan Song’s reserved for us.  They’re so friendly and cheerful that it’s easy to forget what kind of business they’re in.  It’s an hour or so before dusk.  I kick my heels for a while, then decide to go and see what Yuan Song’s doing.  To my surprise, there are people bustling in and out of his apartment.  I knock and hear him say, “Come in.”

He’s standing in the middle of the room, arms outstretched while servants dress him.  He’s wearing a deep pink robe with silver flowers embroidered on it.  As I enter, the servants are fastening a sash round his supple waist.  They’ve painted his face and his fingernails.  He’s wearing a black wig, elaborately-styled and bejeweled.  He looks like a beautiful doll.

He turns the painted face towards me and says, “Ah, Young Master Zhao.”

“What’s going on?” I ask, though I already have a good idea.

“I’m going to the Palace,” he says, taking a jeweled fan from a servant’s hand.  “I’ve been summoned by the Emperor.”

“Do you have to go?” I ask, knowing it’s a foolish question.  Of course he has to go.

He smiles faintly and doesn’t answer.  The servants gather up their bits and pieces and leave.

I have no right to ask, but I do.  “Will you have to …?”  I stop, feeling even more foolish.

“According to my information,” he says in a neutral tone, “The Emperor’s fond of very young girls, so it’s unlikely I’ll be asked to serve him.  If I am, of course I shall have to comply.  I’ve been asked to bring a selection of my – how did the messenger put it? – merchandise.”

I find I have to sit down.  Yuan Song looks at me mockingly.

“This is my profession, Young Master Zhao.  Can it be you’re worried about me?”

“I worry about all my friends.”

He checks, and looks at me strangely.  “I appreciate it,” he says, turning away, “But there’s no need.”

I fall silent.  I’m unexpectedly disturbed, but after all, there’s nothing I can do.  Yuan Song comes towards me and taps my cheek with his fan.  He’s wearing a heavy scent which makes my nose wrinkle.

“Enjoy your evening and don’t worry about me,” he says.  “We’ll have breakfast together tomorrow morning.”

I nod, trying to look cheerful, as he sweeps out.  Following him, I find a chattering group of girls in the courtyard, as excited as if they’re going on a shopping spree.  They leave together.  I wander disconsolately back to my apartment.  I’ve noticed that Yuan Song doesn’t take regular clients.  In fact, the whispers in the Pavilion are that he only entertains a few select customers chosen by himself.   I find I don’t want to think about it.  It’s dark now.  I ask the servants to bring hot water and fill the bath, knowing that Shan will want to bathe.

He arrives without fuss and we stand clasped together for some time before he disengages and looks down into my face.  “What?” he asks.

I can’t hide anything from him.  I explain.

“I don’t think you need to worry.  He’s a competent, clever man and he’s been in this kind of situation before.  He’ll know what to do.”

“It’s just that Second Brother’s such a bastard – capable of anything.  And there’s Du Xun as well.”

“There’s nothing you can do.  Yuan Song knows the risks.”  He hesitates for a moment, then says, “Do you like him?”

“Yes, I do, I don’t know why.  Maybe because he’s a friend of Han Ming’s.”

“Shao Ru reckons he fancies you.”

“Perhaps a little.  But, even if he does, he’s too late.  I’m already spoken for.”

The reply to this is an intense hug.  “Oh Gods, I’ve missed you,’ I say, hugging back.

We’re not as desperate as on the last occasion we were together.  We can take our time and we do.  Later we bring each other up to date on the rescue plans.

“The only thing left to decide,” he says, stretching lazily, “Is how to get fifty men into the city.”

I’m sitting astride his back, massaging his shoulders.  He has a persistent ache on the side with the axe-scar. 

“Grain-carts,” I say, pressing hard.  “It’s harvest time.  There are carts coming into the city from all over the province with supplies for the winter.  And peasants trudging in with their produce.  And people coming for the autumn festivals.”

“Good suggestion.  I’ll pass it on.”

“Will your men be armed?”

“No.  Down a bit.  Yes, right there.  The weapons are already in the Third Prince’s mansion.”

“No problem, then.  How far away’s the main army?”

“Ten days.”

“The rescues will have to be timed for the moment the army rises.  Otherwise the Emperor will turn the city upside down looking for the Lis.  We can’t give him the chance.”

“Yup, it’ll be tight. The Third Prince has spies with the army and they’re keeping us posted.”

“How long has he been planning this?”

“Since the Second Prince became Emperor.”

“The Palace has kept up the fiction that he’s ill, but it must be desperate to find him.  I wonder how he managed to get out?”

“He hasn’t said.  He doesn’t encourage confidences.”  As if reminded of something, Shan turns his head and squints at me.  “He asked me about us.  I had to tell him.”

My fingers stop what they’re doing.

“I thought,” Shan says, “That this might be a good time to tell him you’re not the old Emperor’s son.  Otherwise…”

“Otherwise he might interfere between us.  And he might think I’m a rival.”

“It’s a possibility.”

“Then I will.”  I lean forward and imprint a kiss on the side of his neck.  “Turn round,” I say.

He obliges.  Still sitting astride him, I kneel up and reach backwards to fit us together. 

He grins.  “I love your look of concentration when you do that.”

“Well, it’s a delicate manoeuvre.  I have to be careful.”

“You go cross-eyed.”

“I do not,” I say indignantly, pressing down rather harder than I meant to and wincing.

“Does it hurt?” he says, concerned.  He moves suddenly and flips us round, still connected, so that I’m underneath.  “Better like this,” he says.

I’m not going to argue.

Before daybreak he leaves, with a kiss in the dark, whispering my name.

This morning, the servants bring the hot water without being asked, and as I dress, someone comes and tells me that the Master’s waiting for me in the courtyard.  Yuan Song’s in a brocade dressing gown, his hair loose and traces of paint still on his face, which looks unusually tired.  The table’s laid in a sunny corner.  I don’t quite know what to say, but finally come out with, “Um – how was it?”

“As I thought, my services weren’t required.”  He pauses, and then continues in an even voice.  “Du Xun was there.  But my disguise was apparently sufficient.  He didn't recognize me.”

“All the same, it must have been difficult for you.”

He pauses again.  Then he says in a quiet voice, “When I was sold into the brothel, Du Xun paid for the privilege of training me.  I was his plaything for two months.  He likes inflicting pain.  He used to blindfold me.  He said it heightened the sensations.”

I stare at him, horrified.  He goes on, “I resisted at first, but the brothel owner told me it would be over sooner if I didn’t fight.  He was a kind man in his own way.  And he was right.  After I stopped resisting, Du Xun quickly tired of me.  I was sent to a brothel in the provinces and put to work.  I met the Ma sisters there.”

“How - how did they end up there?”

“Their mother was the concubine of a Young Master of good family.  He sold the girls to pay off his gambling debts.  We became friends and allies.  Li Wei was governor of the province at that time.  He was impressed by our ability to gather intelligence and he recruited us, along with Han Ming.  She was working in the brothel as a shadow guard.”

I look at the beautiful face in front of me and ask, hesitantly, “So Li Wei helped you get out?”

“Yes, he lent us the funds to set up in business for ourselves.”  He pours the tea and hands me a cup.  “Don’t look so tragic.  I'm still here.”

“But seeing Du Xun must have brought back terrible memories.”

“It was bound to happen sooner or later.  But tell me, did Commander Liao have news?”

“Yes, he did.  His team’s ready and he reckons we’ll get the go-ahead in about ten days’ time.  He was telling me about the contingency plans if it all goes wrong.  He’ll have to escort Third Brother south and he wants me to head for the north-west with his sister.”  I can’t keep the note of discontent out of my voice.  “I hate the thought of being separated again.”

“The important thing is staying alive,” Yuan Song says, “Whatever that takes.”

After breakfast, still disturbed and upset by Yuan Song’s revelations, I get back to Liang Zhou’s house to find Shao Ru there.  The uniforms and other clothes are ready.  The official document’s ready too.  All we have to do now is wait.

In the meanwhile, a visitor arrives.  It’s Wu Shun, unfamiliar in scholar’s robes.  He’s passed the examinations in third place, which is a huge achievement, guaranteeing a high position in the administration.  We hug in celebration.  Liang Zhou comes over and pats him on the back, beaming.  A celebratory dinner is proposed and accepted. 

“We’ll do it here,” Liang Zhou says, “Tomorrow night?  Will you invite Qin Feng?  You know Ren Baiyi’s in town too?  I’ll speak to my wife.”

Wu Shun’s incoherent with happiness.  Madam Liang probably isn’t quite so happy, but she hears the news without flinching.  I feel that Liang Zhou’s perhaps a little insensitive when it comes to his wife, so I offer to help and she accepts gratefully.  I spent the rest of the day planning and ordering food with Wu Shun trotting at my side, updating me on what’s been happening.

“I couldn’t go in for the exam before, because writing with my right hand was such a problem, I wouldn’t have been able to finish in time.  But it went like a dream.  All the work was familiar, so I just had to mug it up.  And I got a really good tutor to explain the finer points.  My father’s over the moon.  It’s all thanks to you, Ah-Hai – I mean Jing.”

“Hey, you’re the one who took the exam,” I say laughing.  “The credit’s all yours.  Do you like shellfish?”

“You bet.  How’s the Commander?  I wish I could see him.”

“He’s fine.  Busy.  And what’s Ah-Feng up to?”

A shadow crosses his face.  “He’s married.  His wife seems like a nice girl, very young, but he’s – well, you know Ah-Feng.  His heart’s not in it.  In fact, he’s got someone on the side, a boy from one of the pleasure-houses.  He’s set him up in a house of his own, but of course, it’s a dead secret.  His mother-in-law’s absolutely fearsome.  If she ever got to hear about it, she’d skin him alive.”

“He should have refused the marriage,” I say, prodding fruit to check the ripeness.

“He’s an only son.  He has to produce an heir.”

Over lunch, I tell him what’s happened since we last saw each other all those months ago in Qiu City.  It’s a pleasure to see him so contented and confident.  We part, looking forward to the following evening.

Yao Lin and I offer to help in the kitchen next day.  Madam Liang smiles in gratitude and Yao Lin gets himself invited to the feast.  A tray of cakes comes out of the oven.  We look at them speculatively.

“Go on,” says Madam Liang indulgently. 

We sit in the sun, munching.

It’s no longer warm enough to eat outdoors at night, so the tables are set up in Liang Zhou’s spacious dining room.  Ren Baiyi and Zi Wuying turn up full of high spirits after a day spent practising their martial skills.  Qin Feng arrives with his friend, a shy pretty boy with a pleasingly graceful manner, hardly older than Yao Lin.  Knowing Liang Zhou as I do, I see that he’s taken aback, but his disapproval’s quickly hidden and he greets them with his usual courtesy.  He seats the boy between Yao Lin and Mo Jiang.  Almost wordless at first, the lad gradually relaxes and starts to talk.  Shao Ru and Hao Meng are the last to turn up.  As hero of the hour, Wu Shun takes the head of the table.  The servants begin to bring the dishes, under Madam Liang’s directions.  The food’s ample and there’s plenty of wine. 

If only Shan were here, it’d be perfect.

We’ve all reached the mellow stage when a servant knocks on the door and comes in looking worried.  “Master has visitors.  Two boys wish to see Master.”

“At this hour?” says Liang Zhou, frowning.  “Show them in.”

We all look at the door.  Then Yao Lin and I get to our feet as Lei Qing comes in, accompanied by another person, muffled in a cloak.

“Ah-Qing!” Yao Lin exclaims.

She bows.  “I’m sorry to intrude, Masters, but we didn’t know where else to come.”

Then everyone else gets to their feet as the other boy pushes his hood back.  It’s not a boy at all.  It’s Lai Xia.

“Xiaxia!” I exclaim.

She looks at me, exquisite as ever, her eyes brimming over.  "I’ve run away,” she says.

Liang Zhou takes charge, kindly and authoritative. He asks a servant to bring Madam Liang.  Then he says, “Come and sit down, young lady, and tell us about it.”

“I’m Lai Xia,” she begins, looking round a little nervously at all the unfamiliar faces.   Then she spots Ren Baiyi and a beaming smile replaces the tearful look.  “Captain Ren,” she says.  Ren Baiyi's face is as red as the shellfish we’ve just eaten.

“Xiaxia’s family was part of the caravan I was with,” I explain, “We met Ah-Yi and Ah-Ying in The Market.  But Xiaxia, why have you run away?”

“Today a man came to our house.  Well, not a man, a eunuch, from the Palace.  My sister-in-law told me to dress in my best clothes and this person looked me over.  Then he said that a carriage would come tomorrow to take me to the Palace, to be a concubine in the Emperor’s harem.  But I don’t want to be the Emperor’s concubine.  So I borrowed Ah-Xue’s clothes and ran away.”

I suddenly remember Yuan Song’s words:  the Emperor likes young girls.

“And I’m not going back,” Xiaxia says defiantly.

“Xiaxia came to our house,” Lei Qing says, “But I thought that would be the first place her family will look, so we came here.  I humbly apologize for the inconvenience, but we have to help her.”

“You’re a girl too?” says Liang Zhou, bemused, but finally catching on.

“My name’s Lei Qing,” she says, bowing again, “Young Master Zhao’s a friend and benefactor of my family.”

“I want to disappear,” Xiaxia says, turning to me.  “I don’t want my family ever to find me.”

Madam Liang comes in just at this moment and looks bewildered, as well she might.  A moment later, the servant knocks again.  “Another visitor, Master.”

I have a premonition that turns out to be right.  It’s Lai Xue.  Ignoring the host and company, he looks beadily at his sister and says, “There you are.  Madam Lei told me you’d be here.”

“And you are…?” asks Liang Zhou patiently.

Lai Xue remembers his manners and bows.  “Lai Xue,   I’m Xiaxia’s younger brother.”

“I’m not going back, Xue-er,” Xiaxia says.

“I didn’t think you would,” says the unnatural child.  “I’m here to help.”

Shao Ru’s sitting with his forearms on the table, enjoying the show.  “What you need,” he says, “Is a corpse.”

We all look at him.

“Now you’ve run away, your family will get into big trouble with the Palace.  The Emperor won’t listen to excuses.  So your family‘s going to have to think you’re dead.  That means providing a body.”

“I’ve never heard anything so….” Liang Zhou starts to protest.

But Shao Ru carries right on, fixing a pebbly stare on Xiaxia.  “Once you’ve disappeared, you’ll never see your family again.  Are you prepared for that?”

“Yes,” she says firmly.  “The only person who cared for me was my mother and she’s dead.  My father and elder brothers only see me as an asset to be exploited.  It was my elder brother who sent my name to the Palace.  They want influence at court.”

Lai Xue looks at Shao Ru with interest.  “Where could we get a corpse?”

“The city morgue,” Shao Ru says carelessly, “They pick up bodies every night.”

“Are you seriously proposing to obtain a body, dress it up like Young Miss Lai and foist it off on her family?” asks Liang Zhou, shocked.

“Only way,” says Shao Ru simply.

“I won’t have anything to do with it,” Liang Zhou says.

“You don’t have to, Doctor Liang.  We’ll take care of it.” Ren Baiyi says.  “Leave it with us, Young Miss Lai.”

I can see that Lai Xia’s at the end of her tether.  Her hands are trembling with reaction and fatigue.  Madam Liang observes it too.  “Come with me, Young Miss Lai,” she says gently, “You need a good night’s rest.  Come along now.  You can sleep with my daughter.”

Lai Xia allows herself to be led away without protest.  Lai Xue says eagerly, “Can I come to the morgue with you?”

“No,” says Shao Ru, not mincing matters.  “No offence but you’d stick out like a sore thumb.  What you can do is go on home and fetch one of your sister’s dresses here early tomorrow morning.  Can you do that?”

Lai Xue nods enthusiastically.

“How did the two of you get out anyway?” I ask.  “And can you get back in?”

“There’s always a place where you can get out over the wall – the servants use it.  I can get back in the same way.  No-one’ll even notice we’re gone.  Father and Elder Brother don’t care and the servants are lazy.”

“How old are you?” Liang Zhou asks, frowning.

“Fourteen.” 

“Fourteen going on a hundred,” I say with a chuckle. 

Lai Xue grins too.  “I’d better go.  It’s a bit of a walk back.” 

“Wait a minute, Ah-Xue.  Ah-Qing, Ah-Lin and I are going back to the Lei house.  We might as well all go together.”

The party breaks up.  Qin Feng’s drunk.  He leaves supported by Wu Shun on one side and his young friend on the other.  The rest are in a huddle with Shao Ru, discussing ways and means.  Liang Zhou shakes his head disapprovingly.  “I really don’t like this,” he says.

“It seems to be the only way we can get Xiaxia away without her family being executed for disobeying an Imperial order,” I point out.  “Her family situation’s awful.  The father thinks of nothing but business and from what I hear, the elder brothers are brutes.  They were always going to sell her off to the highest bidder.”

Lei Qing bows to Liang Zhou.  “Thank you for your kindness to Xiaxia and please excuse our rudeness coming without notice like this.  I hope you understand that it was an emergency.”

“That’s quite all right, Young Miss Lei,” Liang Zhou says, his face relaxing, “We’ll look after your Xiaxia.  Perhaps you’d like to visit tomorrow?  I’m sure she’d be pleased to see you.”

“Thank you, I will.”

Lai Xue breaks in, oblivious to the minor courtesies as usual.  “I’ll come too.  I’ll bring the dress.”

“The more the merrier,” Liang Zhou says, a touch ironically, “But be discreet.”

“Yes sir,” says Lai Xue.

The four of us leave together to walk back to the merchant quarter.

Yao Lin says, “Is Shao Ru really going to get hold of a corpse?”

“I expect so,” I say.

“He’s very ….” He falls silent, unable to think of the right word.

“Very,” I say, suppressing a desire to laugh.  “But efficient.”

“I wish I could go to the morgue,” Lai Xue ‘s voice is wistful.

The rest of us groan. 

“Well, it would be interesting,” he says defensively.

We get back without incident, help Lai Xue climb back over the wall of the Lai house and go on home, entering by the usual means.  The grey dog trots forward to greet us and accepts our pats with dignity.  My bed has rarely seemed more welcome.

 

4