Chapter 116
97 0 5
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

 

We’re scheduled to depart on the day after tomorrow, as another meeting’s been arranged between the Third Prince, Li Wei and the two remaining Lords to discuss future plans for trade and commerce.  On the day of the meeting, Shao Ru and I have the morning shift again.  In the afternoon, I have, unexpectedly, another invitation to tea with Lady Kong.

As I’m getting ready, Niannian says unexpectedly, “Who is he, your beautiful Prince?”

“He’s the person I love.”

“Where is he?”

“In the capital.”

“How long since you’ve seen him?”

“Too long.  Months.”

“Ah,” he says.  “I’ve got a friend too, in the Jade Mansion.  He’s younger than I am, hasn’t been there so long.  We look after one another.  But we’re not going to stay there forever.  We’ve got plans.”

“What sort of plans?”

“Well, we’re saving up so we can buy ourselves out.  Then we’re going to start a market stall.  Ah-Xian’s Dad was a carpenter, so Ah-Xian’s good with his hands.  He makes things.  Toys, for kids.  You know, little wooden animals and so on.  I reckon we could make a living.  I can only read and write a bit but Ah-Xian’s mother taught him how.  I can count and I’m a good talker.  So he can make the stuff and I’ll sell it.”

“Sounds like a good plan.  How long will it take you to save enough?”

“I reckon about three years.  Less if we’re lucky.  I’ve earned a lot on this job, so that’s a big help.  But you’re leaving soon.”

“Tomorrow.  But there’s no rush.  Stick around till then.”

 “Can I really?  That’s great.  Let me tie your sash.”

As I walk over to the Kong residence, I reflect that three years is a long time in Niannian’s business.  I’m ushered in straight away and find myself in a large room full of women and children.  The children are playing, the women yawning over their embroidery.  My appearance creates much the same effect as throwing food into a fishpond.  Numerous interested pairs of eyes follow me as Lady Kong beckons me over enthusiastically.  “Commander Liao, you’re just what we need to save us from dying of boredom.”

A little boy’s seated next to her.  I recognize him as Kong Guanyu’s younger half-brother, Kong Guanting.  He gets up and bows, then bursts out eagerly, “Are you the hero of Qiu City, sir?”

“That’s what some people call me,” I say, smiling.

“Will you tell us about it?”

“I’d be delighted.”

Lady Kong lays a finger on the child’s head and says, “I’d like a quiet word with Commander Liao before he tells us his story;”

The child says, “Yes, Mother” obediently.

Lady Kong rises and says, “We’ll go outside.  Ah-Heng, would you fetch my cloak, please?”

We go out into the wintry garden, two maids in attendance, but not in earshot.

“My son tells me we have you to thank for getting rid of Fu Hong,” she says frankly, “You have no idea how much in your debt we are.  He was a dreadful man, but there seemed to be no way to dislodge him.”

“I’m happy it did you a service, my Lady.”

“It was a shock for Lord Kong, of course, but I think even he realized that there had to be some substance to the rumours all these years.  He just didn’t want to admit it to himself.  Anyway, I intend to show my gratitude in a more practical way.  No, no, don’t deny me the pleasure of rewarding you.”

I bow, smiling.  “Thank you, my Lady.  How can I refuse?”

“You can’t,” she says gleefully, “And now, you’ll have to keep your word and entertain us.”

“As long as I don’t have to dance,” I say and her laughter rings out round the garden.

Back inside, the company gathers round and listens in eager silence as I once again tell the tale of the capture of Qiu City.  The boy Guanting sits at my feet with wide eyes, taking in every word.  They don’t want to let me go.  The winter days are cold and they have little to keep them occupied, but eventually, after many questions and rounds of tea and snacks, I’m allowed to take my leave.  Kong Guanting hangs on to my hand as they escort me to the door.

“When you’re back in the capital, can I come and visit you?” he asks eagerly.

“I’d be honoured.  It may not be for a while though.”

“I can wait,” he says stoutly. 

“We’ll all visit you,” Lady Kong says.

“You’ll all be welcome,” I reply, hoping I won’t regret it.

I get back to our quarters to find that the lady has matched the deed to the word.  A box of gold pieces is on the table.  Shao Ru and Niannian are sitting looking at it in silence.

“What did you do to earn this?”  Shao Ru asks, cynically.

“This is Lady Kong’s thanks for getting rid of Fu Hong.  How much is there?”

“A whole lot.”

We count the money out.  There is indeed a whole lot.  I divide it into three piles and push one across the table to Shao Ru and another to Niannian.  He looks at me, speechless. 

“Go on, take it.  You were a big help.”

He looks at Shao Ru, who nods, grinning.

“Is there enough for your plan?” I ask.

“I – I think so.  Can I really have this?”

“You got lucky.  Tomorrow Shao Ru will go back to the Jade Mansion with you and help you and your friend buy back your contracts.  Have you got somewhere to go afterwards?”

“Y-yes.  There’s an Auntie who rents out rooms.  We can go there.”

“Put the loot away,” Shao Ru says, “Don’t want the servants to see it.”

Niannian’s still in a daze when our evening meal arrives.  He keeps counting the money in his pouch, as if to reassure himself it’s really there.  Finally he goes to sleep clutching it to his chest.

“So that’s why Lady Kong wanted to give you tea.”  Shao Ru says.

“I think she also wanted me to meet Guanyu’s little brother.”

“To engage your interest for him?  What’s he like?”

“A good kid.  Healthy, bright, cooperative.  I reckon the Kongs have decided to let up on Guanyu and raise the boy as the heir and this was their way of letting us know.”

“Ah-Yu will be pleased.  By the way, what am I supposed to do with Niannian tomorrow?”

“You’re going to help him buy himself and his friend out of the brothel and see they’re settled at this Auntie’s place.  You just need to look menacing in case anyone tries to take advantage of them.”

“How are they going to make a living?”

I explain Niannian’s plan.  Shao Ru frowns.  “They’re going to need advice.  Maybe Guanyu can suggest someone who could keep an eye on them once we’re gone.  It’d be too easy to cheat a couple of kids.”

“Good idea.  I’ll talk to him tomorrow.  Did you hear how the commercial talks went?”

“Ren Baiyi said everybody looked pleased when they came out of the meeting.  But it’s all just talk till things change in the capital.”

Shao Ru and I have the morning shift again next day, but I find an opportunity to collar Kong Guanyu and ask if he can recommend a person of confidence with some experience of business.  When I explain why, he bursts out laughing.  “A couple of kids from a brothel?  Are you crazy?”

“Humour me.  Do you know anyone?”

Guanyu looks thoughtful.  “There’s a young clerk in my father’s business office who handles my household finances.  He’d do.  Let’s go and ask him.”

I follow Guanyu to an office where everybody leaps up and bows obsequiously.  He ignores them and leads me to a back room.  A young man in the uniform of an official is sitting at a desk surrounded by papers.  He too leaps up and salutes.  He can’t be much older than Niannian, serious, pale-faced.  I explain that I need a person of confidence to help two young people set up a business.

“They’re boys from the Jade Mansion,” Guanyu says helpfully, smirking.

“They won’t be for much longer.  They want to earn their living selling toys on a market stall – “

“Sex toys?”  Guanyu interrupts.  The young clerk flushes slightly.

“Children’s toys.  I suppose there are formalities for that sort of thing?”

“Yes, my Lord.  You need a license.  I’d be happy to help.  It would be best if I meet them to discuss what they need.”

“Excellent.  Once we’ve got them settled, I’ll give you their address.  I’ll meet any expenses you may have.”

“That won’t be necessary, my Lord.  Lord Kong’s very generous with his remuneration.”

As we leave, Kong Guanyu says, “Ah-Shan, why are you doing this?”

“Because I can.  What’s it to you anyway?”

He spreads his hands out in a defensive gesture.  “Nothing, nothing.  You always were a bit soft in the head.”

Shao Ru and Niannian leave in the early afternoon.  Before I can stop him, Niannian kneels and kowtows to me. 

“I don’t know how to thank you, my Lord.”

“Everyone deserves a chance.  This is yours.  Don’t blow it.”

“I won’t.  I promise.”

I watch them leave together, an unlikely couple.  Shao Ru comes back in the late afternoon.

“It went well,” he says, flopping down on the couch beside me and reaching for the wine-jar.  “Far from causing difficulties, the brothel owner was almost in tears at the thought of losing them and everybody turned out to see them off.”  He laughs.  “They looked like a pair of lost puppies, clutching their bundles.  The Auntie who took them in looks as if she used to be on the game herself, but the place was clean and she seems fond of them.  Oh, the other boy, Niannian’s friend, asked me to give you this.”

He hands me a small object wrapped in a cloth, which turns out to be a carved wooden horse on wheels.  “It’s for your niece.  By way of thanks.”

The object is carved with delightful attention to detail.  We push it back and forth across the table like a couple of kids.

“The boy has talent,” Shao Ru says.  “I dropped a hint that they were under the protection of the Kong family.  Thought it wouldn’t hurt.”

“I’ll go and tell that clerk where they are.  Give me the address.”

I find the young clerk alone in his office and take the opportunity to give him a small pouch of gold.  I forestall his protests.  “No, don’t refuse.  I have another service to ask of you.  Write to me at the Old Fort from time to time to let me know how the kids are getting on.  Or if you or they need any help.”

He smiles.  “It’ll be a pleasure, my Lord.  I’ll be glad to have an excuse to get out of the office.”

As I’m leaving he adds, “If I may be so bold, I hope your fortunes improve, my Lord.  An alliance between the southern provinces and the Empire would be in all our interests.”

The morning of our departure is cold and bright.  The horses are stamping and steaming as we come out of our quarters, ready to leave.  Lord Kong has said his farewells the previous evening, so nobody sees us off as we pace out of the palace compound and set off through the outskirts of Main City.  Kong Guanyu, late as usual, catches up with us after half an hour or so and falls in beside me, as annoying as a horsefly and more difficult to get rid of.

“Did you get your little boys settled?”

“All sorted, thanks.”

“My father’s spies have just told me your beautiful Prince has also taken up with a boy from a brothel.  Did you know?   Do I detect a pattern here? ”

“He has two house-mates,” I say patiently, “One’s a lad I know and the other’s a kid who got dumped by his lover.”

“Spicy,” says Guanyu, obviously in a provocative mood.

“Would that be Qin Feng’s friend?” Shao Ru asks, leaning into the conversation.  “I met him.  Pretty lad, well-mannered, kind of….”  He hesitates and then says, “…innocent.”

“Innocent?” Guanyu guffaws.   “A boy from a brothel?”

“People don’t necessarily choose to be where they are,” Shao Ru says. 

This is so unlike him that both Kong Guanyu and I stare.

“What?” says Shao Ru defensively.

“It’s not like you to wax philosophical,” I say.

Shao Ru says something very rude.

 

 

5