Chapter 122
99 0 4
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Jinhai

 

We’re expecting the Imperial party tomorrow and Yuan Song and I been invited to General Chen’s estate to be part of the welcome.  It makes sense to spend the night at the Pavilion so we can leave together in the morning.  Everything seems very unreal and I’m having trouble getting my mind round anything at all.  I’m sitting with Yuan Song and Duan Bai and a servant’s just brought tea, when Duan Bai looks up, eyes narrowed, and says, “Who the hell’s that?”

I turn my head.

A tall man in a dark grey uniform is walking into the courtyard, a big sword at his back. 

Without any conscious thought, I find myself running towards him.  He catches me in his arms and crushes me against him, my face against his neck, his own face buried in my hair.  Then he sweeps me up in his arms and carries me to our apartment.  I don’t quite know how we get there, but I’m suddenly dumped on the bed, the sword clatters to the floor and we’re trying to get our clothes off.  But everything goes wrong, we’re in too much haste, we can’t get aligned, I’ve used too much ointment, and we totally fumble it.  I hear a growl of frustration.  He grabs me and connects us with an abruptness that I’m going to regret later.  Then I hear him gasp, “Don’t move – stay still,” but it’s no use, I can’t control my body, my legs clamp round his waist and pull him in deeper and then of course, we’re both done for.

As my heartbeat slows, I become aware that he’s chuckling.  Lifting his head, he says, “My word, we are out of practice.”

He looks down at me and his laughter dies.  “So beautiful,” he says softly, and bends to kiss me.  I clutch at him desperately, as if he’s about to disappear.  “It’s all right,” he says, holding me close, “It’s really me.”

“You’re supposed to get here tomorrow,” I say stupidly.

“Shall I go away and come back?”

“No!” I clutch even harder.  He rocks me a little in his embrace, stroking my hair.

I recover my wits after a while, and loosen my clutch so I can get a proper look at him.  I haven’t seen him this focused since we were in Qiu City.  He’s almost blazing with authority and confidence.  I reach out to touch his face and he catches my hand and kisses it.

“You look….. different,” I say.

“Better or worse?”

“Frighteningly authoritative.”

He laughs.  “Six months in the south would change anybody.  I’ve a lot to tell you.”

“How long can you stay?”

“I have to be back at General Chen’s by midnight.  But I’ll see you tomorrow, won’t I?  At the welcome meeting?”

“Yes, I’ve been invited.  How is everyone?”

“All fine.  I left Baiyi and Wuying at Ah-Zhou’s, and Shao Ru’s gone to see his sister.”

“Did you see Ah-Lien?  And the baby?”

“Yes I did.  I can’t ever thank you enough for looking after them for me.”

“It was a pleasure.  They’re my family too.”

He hugs me again, then kisses my forehead.  “We need to wash up.”

He detaches himself from me and stumbles as he gets up, his trousers caught round one ankle.

“You’ve still got a boot on,” I say, trying not to laugh.

Washed and dried, we lie down together again, skin to skin.  His fingers find the lumpy scar on my arm and he frowns.  “You took far too many risks,” he says.  “You could have got yourself killed.”

“Duan Bai saved my life.  He’s the guy outside with Yuan Song.  They’ve got something going.”

He grins.  “Kong Guanyu will be disappointed.”

“What?”

“Kong Guanyu came with us.  He’s curious about you.  And he wants to make a play for Yuan Song.”

“I’ll be interested to see how that turns out.” 

Shan bends over and kisses the ugly wound.  The touch of his lips makes me tremble.  “Kiss me,” I say.

The familiar warmth and the familiar scent overwhelm me.  My hands re-familiarize themselves with his body, as his lips and hands reacquaint themselves with mine.  Our breathing starts to quicken.  Our caresses become more urgent.  But this time it’s not just a question of relieving desire.  It’s also an emotional need:  to be as close as two people can be, to be joined, to be one.  It’s a re-stating of this mysterious deep bond which holds us together.  After all these months, we’ve finally come home to each other.

Afterwards, we doze, entwined.  Shan’s eyes are closed.  There’s a smile on his lips.  I shift into a more comfortable position and he makes a contented sound and tightens his hold. 

Some time later, as we’re thinking lazily about getting something to eat, we hear a voice outside raised in loud disgruntled complaint.  Shan turns his head, suddenly alert.

I struggle to sit up   “Who's that yelling?”

He mutters a rude word.  “It sounds like Kong Guanyu, the idiot.”

Getting up, he pulls his clothes on and heads for the door, barefoot.   I’m curious to see this old friend of his.  Hastily getting into my own robe, I patter onto the veranda after him.

Yuan Song and Duan Bai are eating dinner on their veranda and facing them, feet planted apart belligerently, is a tall young man ostentatiously dressed and half-drunk.  His voice is loud and aggrieved.  “What’s wrong with my money?  I can pay as much as you want.  This is a brothel, or am I wrong?”

Yuan Song puts down his chopsticks, pats his lips with his napkin and rises unhurriedly to his feet.  “Yes, this is indeed a brothel.  There’s nothing wrong with your money.  But I’m no longer taking customers.  I’m sure one of my people will be pleased to serve you.”

He looks quite staggeringly beautiful and for a moment, Kong Guanyu falls silent and stares.  Then he frowns.  “Nope, it’s got to be you.  Now I’ve seen you, nobody else will do.  Name your price.”

Shan takes an impatient step forward, but I grab his sleeve and hiss, “Wait!”

Duan Bai gets up in his turn, stretches in a leisurely manner and strolls forward.  “Are you deaf, Young Master?” he enquires.  “Or perhaps you don’t understand our language?”

Kong Guanyu flushes bright red.  “Who the fuck are you?” he says between his teeth.  “Nobody talks to me like that,”

Duan Bai clicks his tongue.  “I’m this person’s protector, that's who.  Listen up, country cousin.  It doesn’t matter how rich you are.  This person isn’t available.  Find somebody else.  Now push off so we can eat in peace.”

Kong Guanyu has his dagger out.  “Just you come down here and put your money where your mouth is.”

Duan Bai sighs.  I’m still gripping Shan’s sleeve, full of anticipation.  There ensues a brief, fast flurry of movement, at the end of which Kong Guanyu’s sprawling dazed in the dust of the courtyard.  Duan Bai walks back up the steps and sits down at the table.  Yuan Song claps his hands and servants come and remove Kong Guanyu, who makes no further resistance.

Shan says, “Ha!”

“Jinhai,” Yuan Song calls, “Commander Liao, come over and have something to eat.”

Fastening our clothes more securely, we go over.  Yuan Song introduces Duan Bai and Shan grins.  “Nice one,” he says.  “Kong Guanyu had that coming.”

“That was Young Lord Kong?”  Duan Bai asks.  “Have I caused a diplomatic incident?”  He doesn’t sound particularly bothered.

“No, he was out of line.  You saved me the trouble of sorting it.”  He looks seriously at Duan Bai and Yuan Song and bows.  “Masters, my heartfelt thanks for everything you’ve done for Jinhai over the past months.”

“No need for thanks,” Yuan Song says smiling.  “Sit, eat.”  He issues orders to the servants and more food appears.

We eat and talk as dusk gathers round us, Shan telling his side of the story of the last six months, and we telling ours.  I can see that Shan and Duan Bai are sizing each other up and approving of what they see.  The atmosphere’s very easy.  I find myself smiling.  I catch Yuan Song’s eye and he reaches out and tucks a lock of hair behind my ear.  Shan sees it, sees that Duan Bai doesn’t react and relaxes.  I haven’t felt so happy for a long time.  But it has to come to an end, because Shan has to get back to General Chen’s. 

With mixed feelings, I watch him disappear into the darkness.  Duan Bai says, “Impressive, your lover.”

I suddenly feel weak in the legs.  I sit, putting my head in my hands.  Yuan Song puts a sympathetic arm round my shoulders.  “You’ll see him again tomorrow.   You must be tired.  Get some rest.”

“They’ve still got to take the Palace,” I say, lifting my head.  “Anything could happen.”

“Trust him.  And trust General Tao.  They know what they’re doing.  Go to bed, child, you’re overtired.”

He’s right, of course.  It’s all been too much.  Returning to my apartment, I have a long soak before going to bed.  The bed seems very empty, though Shan’s scent lingers comfortingly.  I’m asleep in five minutes.

4