Chapter 7: Veiled Healer
65 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

 

She lost all of her energy for an unknown reason while leaving the arena, but immediately woke when the door slammed shut. Her body thrown carelessly on the hard floor. She scurried to the farthest corner of her living space and pulled her knees close to her chest sobbing heavily.
Sleep eluded her the rest of the night, her tears falling even after she felt completely drained. She was terrified to close her eyes as she kept seeing those eyes. The glimmer of stars fading and dying in her honey colored irises. Aynilia was haunted by what she had done. Her family would think she died for no reason; would they blame Aynilia? She wanted to know the girl's name, but feared asking. The eyes of the monarchs that watched in amusement as we killed each other for a chance at power. Power Aynilia herself didn't care to have.
"I have to escape this nightmare" she whispered to herself. She wiped away tears trying to stand only to find her legs were weak. She barely got off of the floor when her legs gave out and she collapsed into the table next to her. The glass orbs hit the ground and shattered, water running freely across the floor. The empty metal basin used to wash her face clattered loudly. The table toppled with her; the thin pale red leg splintered under the force. She hit the floor again, landing in the water she spilled.

A loud crash echoed loudly down the hallway the two attendants were walking down. Upon hearing the noise, they rushed to their mistress's room. The sight before them broke their hearts. The girl's battered body sprawled out on the floor. Her white hair drenched and spread fanned across the floor around her. She tried to stand and her arms and legs gave out immediately, a low grunt as she hit her head on the floor. The two girls rushed to her aid, each one grabbing an arm and pulling her to her feet.
Her head hung low as they helped her across the room to her bed. They helped lower her to side on the side of the bed all the while she never looked up at them.
"Ruwa, go fetch a healer quickly. I will tend to the mistress" one girl commanded the other. With a short nod Ruwa disappeared from the room.
"Lady, please lay down. I will clean the mess and get fresh water for you" the attendant tried gently pressing Aynilia's shoulders only to find her seemingly made of stone.
"I don't deserve your help. I am a monster" the whisper barely audible. The attendant was caught off guard. She had no idea why her mistress was so depressed; she won the first round for heaven’s sake! "Lady you have advanced and are still a prime mate potential for Prince Cranis. You should be happy" the girl spoke lightly trying to lift her mistress's spirits.
At that Aynilia's head snapped up and stared at the girl in disbelief. "I must murder those who have yet to live their lives just to be some arrogant monarch's mate?! I should be happy to murder those girls!? Is everyone in this city so barbaric!?" Her words were loud and one could feel her heartbreak with each word. "This has been a tradition since the first kings. It is an honor. Her patriarch will be pleased to know she died with honor" the girl gave a small smile. The response Aynilia had was both confusing and sad to the attendant. At the girl's remark Aynilia's tears spilled from her eyes like waterfalls. Her blue eyes giving off a fierceness that rendered the attendant speechless.
A small knock at the door broke their eye contact. Aynilia hung her head low again to hide her tears. "Enter" the attendant choked out. Ruwa opened the door and stepped aside allowing the veiled healer to enter. The healer seemed to glide across the floor to the bedside, her long deep blue skirt flittering around her feet as she moved. No sound was made as she approached the saddened girl. Ruwa and the other attendant set to cleaning the water and debris in the room.
"Young one, raise your head so I may examine you" she spoke softly, like a comforting mother. Aynilia, reminded of her mother once again, obeyed the healer. Her eyes were not clearly visible to Aynilia, but she could tell the healer had a slender face. A thin hand gently rested against her forehead, the cold fingers a wonderful feeling. "We must take our leave for a moment" Ruwa announced. A simple nod from the healer was enough to dismiss them. When the door shut the healer carefully lifted the veil from her face.
The stunning pale blue eyes were gentle and kind. Her face was slender and pale, her lips only a shade darker than the rest of her face.
"It is you" she spoke softly, mesmerized by Aynilia. "What do you mean?" The girl spoke confusion evident on her face.
"I helped your matriarch bring you into the world. I was assigned to her that moonrise. My name is Fova" her voice was low and sweet.
"You remember me?" Aynilia was completely confused, her mind unable to wrap around how this was possible. "Of course. Your birth was the first time I had ever seen a Creegin with such power as yours" this statement only deepened the girl's confusion. "What power I don't understand" She responded her face contorting. Her eyebrows drew together and her mouth hung open only slightly. A small look of shock appeared on Fova's face, but quickly disappeared before responding "It is not my place to explain that young one. I am happy to see you alive and in decent health. Now lay down so I may examine you for deep wounds" Fova had spoken caringly and helped the girl lay down.
Her examination was quick and detailed. She noted every bruise or scrape. She had Aynilia turn on her side to check her back and head. Fova gently separated her white hair and came across a clump of red hair scabbed together. She pulled a small urn out of her apron and a small towel. She placed the towel on the bed below her head. Carefully Fova poured a small amount of the mint smelling liquid onto the area. The clump loosened and she took the towel and gently wiped the spot. Once the scabbing was cleared, she saw a knot on the girl's head that was split open. Though it no longer bled and seemed to be closing right before her very eyes.
After cleaning the spot and getting the remaining blood out of her hair, she had the girl lay on her back once more. She reached into her apron again and pulled out a small box. It was dark wood decorated with small fire marks. She opened it and pulled out a clear pearl shaped object.
"This is a pill to aid you with your healing. It will also make you sleep" she said quietly reaching towards the girl. Aynilia sprang up and pushed Fova's hand back. "I won't sleep. I can't see her eyes anymore" she said in a terrified whisper, tears threatening to break through again. "Young one, you will not dream with my medicine. You will simply sleep to regenerate" She gently coaxed the girl. She moved Aynilia's hand so it was palm up and placed the pearl in her hand. Aynilia hesitated for a long moment before taking the medicine. Within minutes she was groggy and her eyes closed. Fova helped her lay back down before lowering her veil back over her face.
"What horrors you have to face young one. I will pray for your safety" Fova whispered leaving the white haired Creegin to her rest.

1