Chapter 2 – It’s Reality (2)
127 0 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

“Missus Su!” Chi Yumeng smiled brightly at her boss, welcoming her back with a large stack of papers held against her chest. “Missus Su, I’m so glad that you’re here. There are a few documents requiring your attention and–”

“If it’s not urgent, then put them to the side. I need you to send these divorce papers to Zhang Li, then we have to call a meeting for the departments currently engaged in cooperation with Zhang Industries to re-purpose whatever projects they are working on.” Su Jia interrupts her little assistant with a cold expression, passing her the envelope of documents she had picked up on her way.

After seating herself on her desk, she quickly logged into her computer and began working on various things. Chi Yumeng, who could only helplessly follow orders, dumped the documents she was holding onto a corner of her boss’ desk and frowned.

“You and Mister Zhang are really getting a divorce?” She asked nervously, studying her boss’ calm expression. “You two have always gotten on so well, did something happen?”

“I don’t know.” Su Jia answered bluntly, glancing to her assistant with a smile. “Who can know a person’s heart? Anyways, it’s not something to be concerned with, although it means the two of us will be a bit busier for a while.”

Of course, being a slave to her boss’ workaholic habits, Chi Yumeng felt that working overtime for a long time was definitely something concerning. Ever since she had gotten married eight years ago, she had finally been able to relax somewhat and work regular hours, how could her heart not be crushed to learn that her boss would be going back to her old self?

“I see…” She responded in low spirits, leaving to fulfill her duties with a heavy weight on her heart. Su Jia had even given her such a tough task right away; handing such an ominous document over to her soon to be ex-husband!

Thinking up to here, Chi Yumeng was hoping that Zhang Li was also handling things this calmly and that he would only scoff after seeing the divorce papers his ex-wife had sent over. To get a better idea of his mood before making contact, she hurriedly called his assistant.

Yuan Yu sighed after seeing the number calling him and answered only after clearing his throat a few times. “Yumeng, what is it?”

“Don’t say my name so sweetly, how could you have not given me a heads up about Missus Su!?” Chi Yumeng snapped at her boyfriend, gritting her teeth as she rode down the elevator to the parking garage. “What happened? Did Mister Zhang cheat on her or something?”

“Mister Zhang has lost his mind, I don’t understand him anymore!” Yuan Yu sobbed helplessly and took the opportunity to let out all of his complaints. His boss’ behavior had been erratic since two days ago, when he fainted during a shareholder meeting, even his most dedicated assistant had lost faith in his judgement. “Suddenly attacking his wife’s family’s company, he’s lucky if she ever forgives him! Su Jia and the Su family is Zhang Industries’ biggest backer, declaring war on them is the same as committing suicide… Babe, does Su Jia’s company have any openings? Can you put in a good word for me?”

The little assistant was startled by her boyfriend’s account of events. No wonder Su Jia filed for divorce so quickly! The only things in her heart is her family and her company, she naturally wouldn’t forgive her husband for attacking both.

“How is Mister Zhang? I have to go and deliver the divorce papers to him, will he be angry?” Ignoring her boyfriend that was currently talking about how worried he was for the future, Chi Yumeng carefully brought up the main point as she was slipping into her car.

“Ah? Missus Su was serious about that?” Yuan Yu was puzzled for a moment before his face turned white as a sheet and he shook his head a few times. “No, no, don’t bring such a thing here! Just from having that fight, Mister Zhang destroyed his study! There’s no telling what will happen if she really divorces him! Can’t these two just talk it out? Although Mister Zhang is acting strange, I’m sure he still really loves his wife!”

“What love? Those two get along, but Missus Su doesn’t seem to love him… It’s a political marriage, surely he can’t be that upset about it.” Even though she rebutted him with casual words, her heart soured at Yuan Yu’s immediate reaction. She’d never seen Zhang Li angry, yet now he’s even destroyed an entire room?

“What nonsense is that? Isn’t it obvious that Mister Zhang is deeply in love with her? He sometimes gets happy all day just from a single text message!”

“Even if you say that, I’ve seen Missus Su get annoyed and ignore him when he calls her…” Chi Yumeng frowned when she heard her boyfriend say so with such certainty. “Alright, this sounds dangerous after all. I’ll leave the documents to you, so make sure that he receives them.”

“Y-Yumeng, what if I die? Don’t you feel any guilt in pushing this to me?”

“I’ll get you a job here if anything happens, don’t worry and work hard.” She soothed him half heartedly and hangs up after a moment, breathing out a long sigh. It seemed that she was doomed to suffering overtime for a while, unless that crazy Zhang Li woke up and properly worked things out with his wife.

After meeting up with his unfeeling girlfriend and receiving the divorce papers, Yuan Yu reluctantly brought them to his boss’ office, where Zhang Li was sitting with a dazed expression.

“Mister Zhang, are you feeling alright?” The assistant probed cautiously, his whole body trembling as he approached with the envelope hidden in his arms.

“Yuan Yu.” Zhang Li suddenly called him in a clear and hard voice, his eyes finally gaining a bit of clarity. “What day is it today?”

After telling him the date, the man’s face turned a shade darker and he slammed his desk with his fist, startling the cowardly assistant.

“Those bastards… Ah, I’ll make them all pay…”

While his boss was muttering ominous things to himself, Yuan Yu could only think that he really wanted to quit this job.

“Wait, am I really still not awake?” Zhang Li suddenly paused in his rantings, glancing up and around the office as though he’d suddenly received enlightenment. “This dream feels too realistic. Besides, shouldn’t everything work out well if it’s a dream? Why is the Su family so hard to get rid of even in a dream?”

“Boss, this really isn’t a dream…” Yuan Yu had never seen someone suddenly become crazy before and he was at a loss as to what he should do. Seeing that his boss didn’t immediately ignore him this time, he felt a bit of hope that he would return to normal.

For a long time, Zhang Li seemed to consider his words, his face getting paler as he did.

“Then, this is reality?” He questioned hesitantly, his face quickly filled with amazement.

“Yes, it’s reality.”

“Then, right now I am married and on good terms with Su Jia. I see, that’s very good timing. If things are like this, then I can just bide my time and–”

A frantic knocking interrupted Zhang Li’s musings and he called out for them to come in without thinking about it.

“Sir, our collaborative project with Missus Su’s company seems to have fallen through!” The head of one of their most profitable departments hurried into the room, out of breath. “This deal was supposed to be our company’s crowning achievement, I’m begging you to please speak to your wife right away!”

Normally, no one would dare to speak to the CEO so frankly, but the department head was at the end of his rope, who knew what fate awaited him if this project fell through? And not only that, the other side was actually the CEO’s own wife’s employees and they sympathetically told him to find employment elsewhere, he couldn’t hold back and act reserved as normal when he was feeling the sudden crisis.

Zhang Li didn’t respond right away, instead staring in a daze at his desperate employee. After a moment, he waved a hand.

“I will try and resolve this matter, return to work.” He stated calmly, his gaze focusing on the assistant who looked even worse than when he had come in. His face looked the same as someone about to announce some bad news.

Only after the employee had reluctantly left his office, did Yuan Yu dare to speak to his boss.

“Mister Zhang, your wife’s assistant dropped this off for you earlier.” He admitted gloomily, bracing himself for Zhang Li’s reaction, and handed the envelope over to him.

After opening the envelope and reading the contents, Zhang Li continued to stare dumbfounded at the papers.

“Su Jia wants a divorce?” He looked to his assistant without the slightest anger, only appearing confused. “That means… The argument this morning, was that reality?”

Yuan Yu had never wanted to cry more than in this moment. His boss had seriously lost his mind, shouldn’t he call a doctor? He was struggling with these feelings and could only wordlessly nod at Zhang Li’s question.

After a long moment, Zhang Li burst into laughter. His hands crumpled the documents in his hands and he smiled widely as he pulled them into a ball and tossed them to the floor.

“Fine, I made some missteps since I thought this was just a dream.” The man makes a fierce expression, grabbing the photo of his soon to be ex-wife and him from the corner of the desk with a smirk. “Who knew that such a miracle would really occur? Yuan Yu, call a meeting with our R&D department immediately. I came up with an idea for how we can overturn this situation just now.”

“Yes, sir!” Yuan Yu eagerly left the room, but his faith in his boss was already completely shattered and so left to assemble the meeting without any hope for the company’s recovery, although he was relieved that his boss seemed to be in shock about his divorce and hadn’t destroyed the office then and there.

“Su Jia from ten years ago, huh?” Zhang Li pondered aloud as he stared at her picture, gently setting it back down with a thoughtful expression. “I really came back at a good time, it’s just too bad that I exposed my intentions so early. For now, I should pull back on attacking the Su family and focus on building up my company. At this time, this place is basically running off of that woman’s good intentions, it can’t turn a profit alone.”

The man leaned back in his seat, his mind recalling his pitiful demise ten years in the future. Although he thought that perhaps he hadn’t really died and was dreaming, it turned out that he had returned to the past!

“This time, I’ll make that woman regret meeting me!” He laughed viciously, sneering as he swept the picture frame into the garbage can with one arm. “Not just Su Jia, but Su family and that bastard Lao Yang, too… They’ll all pay the price for driving me into a corner!”

 

Zhang Li is too high strung. Maybe he wouldn't be so angry if he had taken a vacation or two in his last life?

Thanks for reading, see you all next time~

2