Chapter 5: The Optional Mission
142 1 6
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The Mutant clearly heard Shaw, but he was still trying to activate the ability. Shaw frowned. The moment the Mutant become frenzied, he would become a legitimate threat to her, and threats couldn't be tolerated. Just as blood was about to be shed once again, the first player, the Soldier, took a step forward and laid a hand on his friend’s shoulder. He said something to the Mutant, who slowly calmed down and halted the ability.

Shaw scoffed once again and returned her sword back to its sheath. It was more for show, of course. She could reach the blade at a moment's notice if need be. Still, she was hoping it would calm the two players down from doing anything rash. Killing fellow players didn't provide any experience...unfortunately.

“What do you two want?” She simply said, doing her best to keep the impatience and lack of respect out of her voice. She had learned long ago that putting up an act could be helpful from time to time.

“You stole our kill!” The Soldier raised his voice. Like his friend, he wasn’t too happy with what happened. It might have been less than an hour, but he already knew enough about the value of levels and experience. To him, 100 exp was a lot.

“Ok. So?” Shaw answered, unfazed and unfaltering. The two players were obviously taken back by her nonchalant attitude, and before they could form an argument, Shaw pushed a step forward. “You want an apology? Fine. Sorry. I am sorry for what I did. I am sorry for stealing your kill. Happy now?”

The Mutant felt the anger he was trying so hard to suppress brought up once again. “Really? Do you think a ‘sorry’ will do?” He chuckled darkly. “That goblin wizard was 100 exp! That exp belonged to us! If you want to make up for it, you should find 100 exp worth of NPCs for us to kill…”

He was being very fair...in his eyes. After all, 100 exp was stolen from them, and it was only fair for Shaw to return that 100 exp. But before he could finish, Shaw cut her off. She was a busy woman, and she was out of patience.

“Ok, junior. Listen to me very carefully.” Shaw tilted her head. “In case you haven’t noticed it yet, our world has just become a lot more different. We are players, and we are fighting goblins and skeletons. The world that you know is gone, and things like law and order? They went down with it. It would serve you well to remember that.”

She carefully scanned the expressions of the two players, watching for any sign of aggression as she continued.

“Yes. I stole your kill. So what? What are you going to do? You can try and kill me as retribution, I suppose. But...that will only make me kill both of you in self-defense. I don’t want that and you clearly don’t want that either. You can try to get me to compensate you two, and I will ignore you, and we’re back at the beginning. Or...or you can take a step back and act like nothing happened and we can both go on with our hunt. Personally, I prefer that option.” She rested her hand on the handle of her sword. “Now, make your choice, my friends.”

The two players exchanged a conflicted look. In the end, they were still students. It would take them a while before they could adjust to the cruel, Darwinistic nature of this whole new world. As of now, the notion of killing their fellow human was beyond them. Plus, the confidence in Shaw’s words and the way she handled herself...she was no easy prey.

“Fine.” The Soldier finally said.

"Wise choice." Shaw nodded. She gave the two another glance before turning around. Just as she was about to leave, a notification suddenly popped up in front of her.

Optional Mission detected!

Optional Mission: Defeat the Headless Knight

Reward: +3 Disposable Attribute Points for top 3 contributors.

Additional classified reward for the player responsible for the kill.

“Well...isn’t that interesting,” Shaw whispered. She didn't know there would be an optional mission in the school at this stage. A valuable one, too. The three disposable attribute points were certainly nothing to snicker at, and the mysterious reward for the player who got the kill...she looked forward to whatever that was.

As for whether or not she could get the kill...if she, with 20 years of experience, couldn’t even beat a handful of new players who barely knew what was going on, then she didn't deserve the reward.

She quietly accepted the mission, and an indicator popped up in front of her and pointed to where the mission would take place. Just as she was about to get moving, she realized the two players she almost came into conflict with were heading in the same direction. It was clear they have accepted the mission as well. How...courageous.

She didn't say anything as she started heading in that direction. However, it was enough to give the other two players a hint of what was going on. The Mutant still stayed away from Shaw, but the Soldier decided to at least exchange a few words with the potential sister in the arm.

“So...are you going to the optional mission too?”

The Soldier asked as he tried to walk next to Shaw, but to his surprise, Shaw took a step to the side and rested her hand on her weapon. Her message was clear. Stay a distance away from me.

“Wow wow wow. Relax.” The Soldier held his hands up innocently. “We are on the same boat here. We all want to achieve the same mission. Our interests align.”

“Well...our interests are similar, in that we both want maximum reward from this mission. I’d hardly call that our interest aligning…” Shaw shrugged. Just because they all wanted one target dead didn't mean they were on the same side. The number of times she had seen a group of players slaughter each other to take the full reward of a mission was beyond count. Countless elite players, stabbed in the back by their own comrades.

Alas, this was still too early for betrayals like that, and these two kids weren't capable of such a thing. Yet.

“But...sure. We will be fighting the same enemy.” Shaw finally added.

“Well, in that case, we should at least have some trust for each other. The last thing we need is us turning against each other on the battlefield. Why don’t we just all give it all we’ve got, and whoever gets the kill, well...let’s just say they’re lucky and get it over with?”

Shaw couldn’t help but glance at the Soldier once again.

“What’s your name?”

“Ian. Ian Dyson.”

“And...tell me, Mr. Dyson.” Shaw pointed at the empty hallways that they were just walking by. There was no doubt still some students in the classrooms, but they simply refused to come out and risk their lives in the fight. “Why are you willing to risk your life to level up? One mistake, and you’ll be dead. Is it because of your greed for power? Maybe it's just an act of self-preservation?”

Ian bit his lips a little. Shaw clearly asked him a good question, and it took him a while before he could come up with an answer.

“I don’t know...I guess...I guess I’m doing this for my family. My sister is in Larry Middle School. I...I have no idea what is happening there. I can’t call anyone on the phone. I can’t find anyone. And if these things are also showing up there...we can fight, but what about her? What...what would happen to her? I need to get there as soon as I can.” Ian sighed and turned back to Shaw. “Is that a good answer for you?”

Shaw was silent...not really because of what Ian said. His sister was likely dead by now, like the countless millions around the world that fell victim to the Launch. She didn't deserve to die, and neither did any of them. Yet...they were still brutally slaughtered, and there was nothing anyone could do about it. She didn't care, simply because she knew her compassion would only lead to more pain. She couldn’t save them, so why bother?

Ian was a good man. There was no doubt in that. Not long after the Launch, there were a lot of people like him. People who hoped to unite mankind and fight as one. People who hoped the survivors could put aside their differences and personal desires and focus on taking down the true enemies of mankind. People who simply wanted to protect those they cared about. Good, honest people.

In the end, those people died one by one. Some were slain by people they trusted for one reason or another. Some were brutally slaughtered by NPCs while trying to defend their home. Some committed suicide when the people they were trying to protect, the only reason they lived, were tortured and murdered and there was nothing they could do. Twenty years into the future, when humanity was on its last breath, there was no room for compassion and love. No room for trust and hope.

Good people die young.

“You are a good person, Mr. Dyson.” Shaw said quietly as she turned her attention to the surroundings.

The rest of the trip was silent.

6