The Third Tail- Chapter two
244 1 8
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.
Announcement
Chapter one has been split into two separate chapters,

The murmurs and whispers were a constant companion as I drifted in and out of consciousness. I couldn't tell how much time had passed, it could have been hours or mere minutes as I became gradually aware of my surroundings, my senses returning in fragments.

My eyes flickered open, taking in the harsh whiteness of the ceiling above me. My mouth felt like sandpaper, my tongue sticking awkwardly to the roof of my mouth. A dull throb radiated from the base of my skull, pulsating with every beat of my heart. I squinted at the brightness, my eyes narrowed into slits. This wasn't right, the ceilings in my temple weren't white. They were made of stone, or painted with intricate constellations against a deep blue backdrop.

A groan slipped past my lips as I tried to piece together the events leading up to my unexpected awakening here.

What was the last thing I remembered? I... I was with Aeon and Nova, we were... in the western garden of the temple and then... What happened?

I closed my eyes in frustration and took deep breaths, trying to calm the rising panic within me. The silence around me was eerie, and the absence of any movement or sound only added to my unease. Where was the trickling of water from the fountain in the garden? The chirping of birds and the chittering of insects?

My hand traveled up to my head instinctively, fingers reaching for where the throbbing pain was concentrated. Bandages covered most of my head. They were wrapped tightly, too tightly, their constant pressure adding to the dull ache that hadn’t subsided since I woke up. I winced, pulling and tugging at the bandages, trying to loosen them when my fingers came into contact with something unexpected, something that caused my blood to run cold and my heart to pound in my chest.

I froze, my breath hitching in my throat as my fingers traced the curved shell of an ear, but not my ear, not the fox ears I should have. These were human ears—small, rounded, and entirely devoid of the sleek fur that should have been there.

My eyes flew open, taking in my surroundings with renewed urgency. The room was still overwhelmingly bright, but now that my eyes were adjusting, I could make out details more clearly. It was definitely a medical room of some sort, but not one of the healing rooms in the temple of light.

"Am... am I back on Earth?" The thought drummed in my head, echoing around the sterile whiteness of the room. I felt a cold shiver run down my spine. The walls, the technology, the atmosphere; it all screamed of a place far removed from the reality of Kaledon. It was too... modern, too advanced for Kaledon.

I tried to sit up, but a sharp pain in my arm and head forced me back against the stiff, uncomfortable bed. I groaned, the sudden movement sending waves of agony through my body. Looking down, I saw that I was hooked up to an IV drip and that was the final confirmation that I wasn't on Kaledon anymore. Panic began to set in, making it hard to think clearly. How did I get here? What happened to me?

A soft beeping sound at the door preceded its opening and I turned my head to the side as a man in a white coat entered, followed by a few others in similar attire.

"Welcome back, Miss Greene," the lead man said with a gentle smile. "My name is Dr. Phillips and this is my team."

His words did little to ease my growing anxiety. Who were these people? And more importantly, where was I? And where were Aeon and Nova?

I opened my mouth to respond, but the only sound that came out was a parched croak. My throat felt like a barren desert, each attempted word scraping painfully against the coarse sandpaper of my parched tongue.

"Ah, let me get you something for that," Dr. Phillips said with a concerned frown before turning to one of his team members and giving a quiet instruction. One my human ear could not perceive, but my vulpine ones surely would have heard.

My mind was racing, trying to make sense of the situation. But as I took in my surroundings once again, I couldn't shake off the feeling that something was off. That I wasn't supposed to be here.

"Easy now, Miss Greene," he advised, his voice soothing. "You've been in Cryogenic sleep for a considerable period and haven't consumed any oral fluids. This should help ease your dry throat."

Blinking up at the doctor, I watched as he pressed a small, transparent tube towards my lips. His face was a blur, a halo of white light around his head from the clinical overhead lighting. My eyes drifted to the tube, my mind struggling to process his actions.

"Go on, slowly now," he encouraged, his voice laced with an unwavering patience that I found infuriating. He was speaking to me as though I were a child and not the High Priestess of Trismegistus.

But despite these thoughts, I parted my lips, allowing the cool liquid to trickle down my throat. It was an immediate relief, and when the tube was withdrawn, I licked my lips, feeling the wetness spread across the cracked skin. My voice was still hoarse, but I managed to speak without the pain that had been present before.

"What...?" I trailed off, my voice faltering. My mind was a whirlwind of questions, each one jumbled with the other, making it impossible to form a coherent question. I looked at Dr. Phillips, his image still slightly blurred. I wanted to ask 'What is happening?', 'where am I?', 'why am I here?', 'where are Aeon and Nova?' but the words simply wouldn't come out. The confusion was overwhelming, my thoughts a tumultuous sea that threatened to pull me under. I could only stare at him, my eyes pleading for answers I couldn't find the words to ask for.

Dr. Phillips looked at me for a moment, a small, comforting smile playing on his lips. "The procedure went well, Miss Greene," he finally said, his voice as gentle as the light rain outside, "you're well. You're more than well, actually. You've made a remarkable recovery."

I blinked, my brain racing to catch up with his words. Procedure? What procedure? The rest of his words washed over me as I struggled to comprehend. I was well? A remarkable recovery? None of it made sense.

My confusion only deepened, but I managed to find my voice. "Procedure?" I croaked, tasting the word in my mouth. "What procedure, Dr. Phillips?"

A throat cleared, cutting through the thick silence in the room and drawing everyone's attention to the door. I turned my head as a familiar figure stepped into the room.

Simon Davis. His face was as immutable as ever, his eyes giving nothing away. He was wearing his usual three-piece suit, the charcoal gray blending in with his graying hair.

"I will take it from here, gentlemen," Mr. Davis announced, his voice broking no argument.

His gaze fell on me, a strange mix of concern and sternness in his eyes as he walked towards the bed, his steps measured and deliberate. Davis had always been the bearer of news, good or bad. And right now, I had a feeling that his arrival had everything to do with the 'procedure' Dr. Phillips had referred to.

"What's going on, Davis," I asked, my voice hoarse despite my best efforts to control it. "What procedure did I have?"

Mr. Davis didn't answer right away, his face betraying no emotion as he sat down on the plastic chair beside the bed. His eyes met mine and held them for a long moment before speaking.

"You have undergone two surgical procedures, Kadia," Davis began, his voice steady as ever. I felt my breath hitch in my throat. "The first was a heart transplant." He paused momentarily, as if to let the weight of his words sink in. My mind reeled. A heart transplant? Had it truly been that bad? I knew there was some previous mention of damage to my heart, but I never imagined it would require such a drastic procedure.

"And the second?"

Mr. Davis's face softened slightly, "the second procedure was the implantation of an upgraded neural interface," he said gently.

"What? Why?"

"Your injuries had caused significant damage to your brain, Kadia," he explained, "the new neural interface is designed to bypass the damaged areas and allow normal cognitive functions." The room spun around me as I tried to process what he had just said.

"Neural interfaces, or at least those I know of, require a connection to an external device or network in order to function," I said, my mind racing with the implications, "that is why they are only used in cryogenic pods, because of the power requirements," I met his gaze, searching for understanding, "if I have an upgraded interface as you say, then does that mean I'm going back into a pod? Why wake me if that is the case? Being woken up to this degree and then put back under is not only cruel, but a waste of resources and potentially detrimental to my health."

Davis raised a hand to stop me, "No, Kadia. You won't be going back into a pod." He hesitated before continuing, as if unsure of how to break the news, "the neural interface does require a connection to an external device and processor. However, technology has greatly advanced in recent years. The new neural interfaces aren't like the ones used in cryogenic pods, the power source is much smaller and portable." Davis continued, pointing towards the corner of the room where an odd-looking chair sat. At first glance, it seemed like an electric wheelchair. "At present, you are connected to the bed," Davis navigated his explanation with care, "but eventually, we will transition you to a mobile unit." Davis paused as he studied my reaction.

"So… what happens now?" I asked, my voice wavering, "what does this mean?"

Davis took a deep breath, "Well, Kadia, it means that you now have a second chance at life. The heart transplant will address the damage your heart sustained, while the neural interface will enable your brain to function normally," he paused, looking into my eyes earnestly, "there will be an adjustment period, and some learning required to understand how to interact with the neural interface. But the technology is advanced, and it is programmed to adapt to your neural patterns for a smooth transition," Davis continued, his gaze steady, "you will be able to live a normal life, without any limitations... well, mostly," he added with a small smile as he glanced at the wheel chair.

His words, "a second chance at life", echoed in my head, bouncing off the walls of my consciousness. What life, exactly, was I getting a second chance at? I thought of my family... Marcus was probably still in Kaledon, and as for the rest... I couldn't bear to think about my father and Danica. The disquieting reality of my situation began to settle. What exactly was I supposed to do now? Spend my days confined to a wheelchair? And what about Aeon and Nova?

"And after that? What then?" I asked. What... What was I meant to do with myself? For a moment Mr. Davis didn't answer, he simply looked at me, his gaze inscrutable.

"You'll have to find that out for yourself, Kadia," he said finally. His words hung in the air between us, a reminder of the uncertainty that lay ahead. I was alive, yes, but the life I had known was gone. This was uncharted territory, a future I was unprepared for.

"What am I supposed to do? Go to university like I had planned?" I asked, trying to keep the desperation out of my voice. I could see Mr. Davis studying me, seemingly gauging how much I could handle. "Take over what's left of the company?" I continued, the words tasting of ashes in my mouth. The future I had meticulously planned was now nothing but shambles. Little was left of the world I knew, of the life I had built. I was alive, yes, but the life I had known was gone.

Mr. Davis finally looked away from me, his eyes going distant. "Kadia," he said, his voice steady yet distant. "After our last discussion, I initiated the process to liquidate your shares in the company, as you directed me to do. You are no longer tied to it."

Right... right. I had asked him to do that. Markion... no, Marcus, had sold his shares too. I hadn't expected to leave the virtual world, ever. I had thought my life would be that of a digital citizen until my eventual demise.

The sudden chill that washed over me was almost a physical entity, wrapping me in its icy embrace, sending shudders through me.

Instinctively, I attempted to warm myself with my inner flames, but they were not there. No matter how much I willed it, no warmth came to fend off the cold that had seeped into my bones. That's right, I wasn't in Kaledon anymore. I was in a world where magic didn't exist, where inner fires were just figments of imagination. The flames that had once danced at my command were now nothing but echoes of a life that had been mere fiction.

A wave of despair washed over me, and before I could suppress it, the first tear broke free. It trickled down my cheek, a symbol of the dam of emotions I had been so desperately trying to hold back. I shut my eyes tight, willing the tears to stop. But the onslaught of grief was unstoppable and I soon gave into it. Bitter tears streamed down my face, each one a searing reminder of the life that was now lost to me.

Mr. Davis broke the silence, his voice softer than I had ever heard it. "Kadia," he began, "I think it's best if you have some time to yourself now. You've been through a great ordeal, and you need some rest." His voice was gentle, an uncharacteristic warmth seeping into his typically firm tone. The compassion in his eyes was almost too much to bear, adding to the ocean of emotions that threatened to drown me.

I simply nodded, unable to muster a response as he stood up and made his way towards the door. "I'll check in on you later," he added, before closing the door behind him, leaving me alone with my thoughts and the crushing reality of my once more altered existence.

8