Chapter 3
84 0 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Alexander Stephen Daniels was a very happy man. A successful banker and loan officer at Derrick Fall’s Credit Union, he had spent a career helping families find the futures and dreams they wanted. Some didn’t always succeed, of course. Nevertheless, he never lost his goodwill or smile. 

He was one of those few people who enjoyed coming to work every morning to see what new challenges awaited him. From helping an expecting couple plan for their new addition’s college fund to granting a student their first car loan, he loved every minute of it. But that wasn’t what gave him his smile right then. 

It was the drop-dead, gorgeous, supermodel bent over fiddling with some of the trim on their daughter’s gown. The delicate fabric was currently displayed on a mannequin while Kiera fiddled with a stubborn piece of lace trim that just would not stay put, no matter how many safety pins she seemed to use. Alex knew she was just being facetious and over-worrying but he didn’t mind it all for a couple of reasons.

First, Kiera, Marcy, and Becca had already spent countless hours making sure the gown fit Becca’s athletic frame to a T. He fully expected a certain young man’s jaw to hit the gazebo floor when he saw her at the start of that red carpet, standing arm in arm with Alex, dressed to the nines in his best tux, as the rented pipe organ started that timeless march.  

Second, the view of his wife’s rear bent over in those jeans was a sight he would never get tired of and he didn’t want to interrupt the show. 

As he continued watching his wife play with the gown, Alex let his mind drift. I’m going to have to make sure that Kyle doesn’t sneak up here for a peak. I’m not a superstitious man but I’m not going to mess with my baby’s perfect day. I have to give him credit though, he’s a tricky one. It’s been all Becca and Kiera can do to make sure he hasn’t seen so much as a scrap of white the past two weeks. He softly chuckled. Who knew Kiera was such a traditionalist though? Then again, I’m acting the same way. I still can’t believe it’s less than a day and it’ll be happening. 

His gaze went over the dress from top to bottom as he smiled. You plan and know that it’s coming; but, until then, it’s just a day on the calendar. Still, it seems like it was only yesterday that Becca was in pigtails and overalls showing me her scraped elbow so I could kiss it and make it better. Now, she’s out saving lives and starting a family of her own. He took a deep cleansing breath as he wiped a suddenly wet cheek. Honestly, where did the time go? Alex leaned back in his favorite reading chair and continued watching Kiera as the past slowly crept back upon him.

He thought that he had always led a good life. He had always had a knack for figures and math so he had entered business school after graduation. He was the first member of his family to have graduated from college and he still remembered the beaming grins of his parents as he picked up his diploma. He accepted a teller job at the credit union and worked his way up the ladder. 

He enjoyed his job, loved seeing people, and then spent a few minutes chatting with them each day. Just about all of their clients knew him by face, with most on a first-name basis. Since the credit union was closed on weekends, he would spend his free time at the retirement complex and help the residents with some basic finances or chores. There was one Saturday in particular, however,  that stood out the most in his mind. It was that cold and dreary October morning when she had walked into his life.

Kiera Allison Smith had just moved into town and was starting up a catering business. She had brought over some trial dishes for the residents to sample so she could get an idea of what her regular menu should be. As she dished out some pasta salad, she began chatting with the balding thirty-year-old man who was having trouble barely stringing two coherent sentences together. 

I still don’t know just what it was that I said that made her stop and talk to me. Here I was, some complete stranger, talking about ways she could help grow her business, the tax breaks she could get, and all the other boring minutiae. Yet, all I wanted to do was drown in those sea-green eyes of hers. She seemed genuinely interested and asked tons of questions. I still don’t remember that entire conversation. I was too dazzled by the way the sunlight lit up her hair like a bonfire. It was like she was bathed in flame, a phoenix rising from the ashes.

For the next few months, Kiera would bring more samples and Alex would fill his plate up twice or even more just so he could spend a few more minutes talking with her. Eventually, those brief lunch line chats turned into long discussions at Mocha-Me-Crazy. Those turned into even longer talks walking through Reeve’s Park and dinners at Kiera’s home and movies at his place. Finally, about a year later, during one more served lunch, Alex got down on one knee and proposed. He softly chuckled to himself. My hands were shaking so hard that I almost dropped her ring in the lasagna! They were married a few weeks later.

Kiera didn’t have any living family and only a few close friends since moving into town. Alex was an only child with just his mother after they lost his father to cancer. So they held a private ceremony at City Hall with the local magistrate. About two years later, Becca was born. I was a bit worried during the pregnancy. Kiera seemed troubled and tired much more than what all the books were saying was normal. But she said she was fine and the doctors agreed so I just chalked it up to first-time dad nerves. He smiled as the memories of that delivery room came screaming back to him. Screaming is right. I didn’t think Kiera’s voice could hit that volume. I half-expected my glasses to crack. She was caked in sweat and exhaustion but she still looked radiant. Dr. Hooper told her to push one more time, she gripped my hand. He still had a slight scar from where her wedding band’s diamond cut his finger. She mumbled something but I couldn’t catch it with everything going on and she screamed one last time, then fell back against the bed. Suddenly, the most beautiful sound came from the other end of the bed. There she was, our princess, letting the entire world know their queen had arrived. Looking down at his arms, he could almost feel her slight weight in them once again. She looked so much like her mother., even the soft down of her bright red hair was a perfect match. Good thing, too! The last thing she needed was my lazy eye or slight overbite! She did get my ears and nose though. Now I wonder just how much of us will be in our grandkids? He chuckled even louder. The way those two kids have been looking at each other the past week makes me think it won’t be too much longer before we find out.

He glanced over at the antique clock on the fireplace mantle. Speaking of the kids, they should be getting here any minute now. I better grab Kiera or she’ll have that entire gown down to stitches and end up re-sewing the whole thing. He rose from the chair and crossed the plush carpet. He wrapped his arms around his wife’s waist and gently kissed her neck. Alex then moved to nuzzle into her shoulder.

Kiera patted the hands clasped around her. “Hey, Baby. What was that for?” She then tucked an errant strand of her now slightly grey-streaked auburn hair behind her ear. 

“Just you being you, Sweetheart.” He started to gently shift her away from the gown. “Now stop fussing with Becca’s dress. It’s perfect and you know it. We gotta get downstairs and finish cooking. Everyone’s going to be here soon and we’ve got a lot to do before dinner. I haven’t had your spaghetti and meatballs in ages and it’s pure agony to be kept from them any longer than I have to.”

Kiera’s face split with a mirror image of her daughter’s smirk. “Oh, really Mr. Warbucks?” She patted his stomach. “Since when is a week an age?”

“When it comes to your cooking dear, an hour is an age.” He continued pulling her to the doorway. “Now, let’s get downstairs. I need to make sure to test one and make sure it’s fit for human consumption.” He pecked her on the cheek. “I better test that garlic bread too. That baker said it was a fresh loaf but I have my doubts.” 

Kiera rolled her eyes, “Whatever you say, dear. Whatever you say.” She followed him out into the hall and patted his back.

***

 

The rehearsal went fine without any major hiccups. Since Kyle and Becca only had a Best Man and Maid, well Matron, of Honor, it was a small procession that walked down the scarlet carpet to the red-rose-covered gazebo nestled in the center of the Daniels’ backyard.  

Sitting from his assigned chair in the front row, Alex watched as Kiera finalized the positions of Kyle, Richard, Becca, and Marcy. Placing little pieces of masking tape on the carpet, she marked where everyone should stand; only to stare at them and shift them slightly into a different spot. While it was time-consuming, everyone knew it was just Kiera being Kiera and it wouldn’t take too much longer until everything met her exacting standards when it came to her little girl’s big day. Watching Kyle and Becca at the altar, Alex’s mind already began picturing how they would look tomorrow as he framed the two with his hands, taking a mental snapshot.

Kyle would be wearing a tuxedo with a bowtie the same emerald as Becca’s eyes. Becca’s white gown would be tied with a matching colored sash. Alex’s smile widened as he saw her holding her bouquet. He felt a slight twinge of sadness at the thought of taking her hand out of his crooked arm and giving it to Kyle’s outstretched hand. Guess no matter how many fathers go through this, we all feel the same. We just can’t let go of our baby girls.  

As he watched Kiera decide where best to take the wedding photos, Alex leaned back in the wooden rental chair. Seriously, how did I get so lucky? I’ve got a smart, funny, gorgeous wife; a daughter I couldn’t be more proud of; and, soon, a man I’d be happy to call my son. I wonder if my first grandson will be named Keith Alexander or Alexander Keith? Oh, well. He mentally shrugged. They can always have more than one of course.

A slight pall entered Alex’s thoughts at that. I wish we had been able to have another child. Becca would have made an incredible big sister. Kiera always looked so beautiful just staring at herself in that full-length mirror in the bedroom running her hands over her belly. How many hours did she spend there? How many did I spend just watching her? I wish I could have given that to her again. I know we tried again and again but I guess Becca was our little miracle. Well, you play the cards you’re dealt and I still think I ended up with a royal flush. He snorted softly and quickly looked around to see if anyone noticed. Sighing in relief that no one was paying him the slightest bit of attention, he went back to his internal monologue.  Ok, that’s cheesy even for you. How did Kiera ever put up with you for all these years? I swear she could teach a saint a thing or two about patience. He checked his watch and his stomach grumbled. Well, it looks like she’s not going to stop unless I intervene. 

Rising from the chair, he called out, “All right dear, I think that’s enough. You’re going to wear holes in the floor if you keep moving things around anymore. I’m pretty sure the rental place has a “You Break It, You Bought It” policy and I’m not sure what we would do with a fifty-foot rolling carpet.” He paused a moment. “Well, maybe for our anniversary I could lay it out as I carry you to the bedroom, maybe add some rose petals?”

Kiera smiled wickedly at her husband. “Dear, I appreciate the thought but your back isn’t the same as it used to be. Not since that little fiasco last month, remember?” 

Alex’s face went scarlet as he remembered that night and the following day trying to explain it to his chiropractor without any of the more intimate details involved.  He was still trying to hammer the dent out of the washer from where he fell on it. 

“Though you’re more than welcome to ravish me like that anytime you want. It’s not your fault the folding table couldn’t handle the strain.”

MOTHER!

Kiera shrugged, completely oblivious to her daughter’s haggard expression. “What’s wrong? We’re all adults here Becca. Besides, you’ll be getting some real hands-on experience soon anyway. There’s no reason to be shy. Who knows?” Her smirk turned positively devilish. “Maybe Kyle could get some pointers from your father before he leaves.”

Becca just about exploded into an apoplectic fit. “Mother --please-- I’m begging you. Stop.”

Alex hurried over to the two women. “I’m sure Kyle has all the pointers he needs Becca.” He chuckled nervously while glancing over at Carl and Marcy. The two were busy studying a single rose on the gazebo, trying very hard to be oblivious to the conversation but Alex saw the grins on both their faces.  He paused to take a deep breath and steady himself. When he thought his tone was somewhat more normal, he pointed back to the house. “Now, before someone has to carry our daughter’s unconscious body across the wrong threshold, let’s head inside and eat. I don’t know about you but I’m positively starving.” Taking his wife’s hand, he started leading her back up the yard to the spacious house that the Daniels called home.

Between Alan’s position at the credit union, Kiera’s very successful catering business, and some “wise investments” her parents had left her, the Daniels were able to afford a very large home. Sitting right on the border’s edge of being called a mansion, and to some probably exceeding it, the two-story home was well-maintained, beautifully furnished, and could accommodate quite a few guests. Yet, despite the opulence, one would be surprised that inside, there was more of a feel of a family than of wealth on display. Instead of expensive paintings, family photos and pictures drawn by local artists lined the walls. Where one would expect the most expensive name-brand furniture, everything was cozy, well-worn, and tasteful. Instead of a massive wall-sized television and home theater system, just a simple TV sitting next to the large picture window that looked out on the front yard. For as affluent as the Daniels were, they had kept their wants simple. 

Alex led their guests to the spacious dining room and started directing them to their seats. Once he pulled out Marcy’s chair for her, Kyle pulled out Becca’s. The young woman laughed. “Easy there, Fido. A girl could get used to this.”  Alex followed Kiera into the kitchen to start bringing out their salads and bread for the first course.

As the well-dressed salads began arriving, with the smells of Kiera’s meatballs wafting in from the kitchen, everyone started digging in. It was a warm night with family and no one at the table would disagree.

 

***

 

On the outskirts of the property, a group of five armed men approached the rear of the house.  Team 2 was heading for the front of the house for the secondary breach. The team leader didn’t expect them to be needed. They were only there to pick off any survivors who might have escaped their initial assault. All of his men were some of the most well-trained mercenaries their various militaries had been quite proud to dispose of.  Not a single one of them had an honorable discharge to speak of. They didn’t care. They took their jobs and the money, no questions asked. Sure, they had seen some stuff that came right out of a storybook but those people still died if you put enough bullets in them. A single double-click on his headset informed him Team 2 was in position. There was only one last thing to do.
He waved over to Styles, their radioman. Styles handed him a headset connected to an encrypted satellite phone. The team leader dialed the one-time use number he was given.

Two-thirds of a country away, in a penthouse office located in downtown Seattle, a specific cell phone rang. A woman’s hand answered it by the second ring. 

“Strike teams in position. Seven targets acquired. Three primaries, four secondaries. Awaiting final orders and confirmation.”

“No witnesses. Execute.” The woman then snapped the phone in half and threw it in a bin to be taken to the incinerator.  She leaned back in her expensive leather chair. “You should have stayed dead bitch,” she said in a voice colder than the grave.

 

***

 

Alex clinked his fork against his wine glass a few times. “Before we break into my wife’s state-famous spaghetti and meatballs-.” 

“I think you mean before you devour them all Alex,” Richard chuckled. Everyone joined in the laughter as Alex nodded and pointed at his future in-law.

“You’ve got me there Richard. Regardless, I’d like to propose a toast.” He pushed his chair back and stood up. He looked out over his friends and family and warmly smiled. Then he brought his gaze to Kyle and Becca who were seated with their backs to the dining room windows. 

“It has been a joy watching you two kids grow up. Becca. You’ve been the greatest thing I have ever done in my life. Your mother and I are so proud of you, sweetie. We wish you the best and promise that it’s still to come. Kyle, you’ve worked hard to make sure you could provide for my little girl. You’re a good man raised by a man just as impressive. I know that if Keith and Sarah were here, they’d feel the exact same way Kiera and I do. I won’t ever try to replace them but I want you to know that I’m proud to call you my son. Welcome to the family.” He paused to wipe a tear from his eye. Glancing around, he was happy to see he wasn’t the only one to.

“Friends,” he lifted his glass. “No, family. To the bride and groom. May they have a long and happy…”
The sound of a gunshot followed immediately by shattering glass tore through the dining room. Alex’s chest burst into a fountain of blood.

2