Chapter 17
16 0 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

“Ow!” Kyle yelped as Mark reset his knee.
“Oh come on ya big baby! You shifters can take more punishment than this! I once saw a cat shifter so torn up, I could have used him for an anatomy lesson. He barely made a whimper as I put him back together. Now suck it up and let me see that leg.”

It had barely been a half-hour since the fight in the clearing. Kyle had awoken to see Mark entering the now blood-soaked meadow with a first-aid kit and a long wooden staff that was nearly as tall as him. First Mark applied patches and gauze to the many cuts on his body to stem the bleeding. He then moved to the more grievous injuries. As Mark tended to him, Kyle tried not to scream as the broken bones were reset. The downside to rapid healing was that broken bones tended to fuse incorrectly if they weren’t set immediately. Thus the only way to reset them was to break them all over again.  Once the final bones were back to where they were supposed to be, Mark stood up and brushed the dust off his pants. 

Kyle’s eyes widened like saucers. “Wait a minute! Aren’t you at least going to splint these? I take one step and I’ll break them all over again!”

Mark grinned as he held out the wooden staff over Kyle’s body. He started mumbling something and a soft golden light started to shine from the furthest end of the staff. Once the end grew to a softly glowing orb, Mark began slowly moving the staff up and down Kyle’s body. As he did, Kyle started to feel the cuts and gouges begin to close up as shiny new skin rapidly grew in place with tufts of fur beginning to show. When Mark reached the broken bones, Kyle could swear that he felt them knitting back together but there wasn’t any pain to it. After a few minutes, the glow faded and Mark pulled out a handkerchief to wipe the sweat off his brow. “There now pup. Right as rain.” Mark leaned on his staff a little as he swayed to the side. “Whoo. That took a lot more outta me than I thought. Kurt did an even nastier job than I expected.” He pointed at Kyle. “Give it a few more minutes for everything to settle and your natural healing to take over before you start moving. Also, you’re going to want to eat about three times your normal dinner portions tonight.”

“Why’s that?”

“Contrary to what those books and video games say on the subject, healing “magic”,” Mark used quote fingers for the last word, “is really the healer speeding up the patient’s natural healing ability with a little extra oomph added in. It’s a combination of both our Sources linking and each using our strength to counterbalance the weakness caused by the injury. Thus, it takes a lot of energy when I’m fixing up someone in your state versus say a single nasty gash. Think of it like you’re normally running on regular gas and I just poured in some rocket fuel instead. There’s a lot more to it as well but I wasn’t all that great in school on the theory side of it.”

“There’s a school for magic?”

“Technically, it’s not magic but more of advanced science and genetic engineering but for the sake of argument, we’ll call it magic.” His brow arched as he scoffed. “Of course, there’s a school. You don’t just learn a trade out of thin air, do you? I’ve seen what you got in your truck and, unless you’re some kind of prodigy, I’m guessing someone had to teach you how to swing a hammer, eh?”

Kyle nodded. “Ok. That makes perfect sense. But if it’s science and not magic, why were you mumbling? Wasn’t that some kind of spell?”

Mark laughed out loud. “Not in the way you’re thinking. It’s just a little mnemonic I recite to help me focus my mind and concentrate. Most casters use them and it can be anything they want. From the dirtiest song lyrics to movie quotes to even phone numbers. It doesn’t matter as long as the caster remains focused on what he’s doing and completes the “spell”.” His voice turned gravely serious as he straightened his posture. “Another thing to remember Kyle is that any healing spell has its limits depending on the caster. We can heal quite a bit more than what the best human doctor and surgical team can but we’re not omnipotent gods. We’ll push ourselves to the brink and some cases beyond, though that can prove fatal to bother healer and patient, yet sometimes there are just some things we can’t heal and we certainly can’t bring people back to life. So the next time you decide to take on my boss, remember that.” He pointed his finger straight at the young Wolf. “If he was really intent on killing you, I wouldn’t be able to do anything except start digging a hole. Understand?”

Kyle solemnly nodded. “So he was just testing me?”

Mark shrugged in response. “That ya’d have to ask him. From what we’ve all seen of ya, we can tell ya got a good heart. A head made of granite on your shoulders but a good heart. I’m guessing he trounced ya to show ya that ya aren’t ready for what awaits ya at the end of your little quest.” Mark leaned on his staff and sighed heavily. “If it was Mara or someone I loved as much as I’m guessing ya do ya Becca, I’d probably be doing sumthin as crazy as ya.” He slowly shook his head. “Still, Kurt’s orders for ya are final, no matter what some of us might think.” His face cracked in a broad smile. “But if ya or ya kin’s ever round these parts again, you’ll be welcome.”

Kyle reached out a hand and Mark took it. “Thanks. I better get going then or he might just decide to give me a second lesson. Tell everyone thanks for me. You guys definitely aren’t what I was expecting when I saw a bunch of bikers break into a guarded building.”

“Life’s just full of surprises, pup. I think you’re about healed up enough that you won’t need me to lean on as we head back to your truck. Now come on, let’s get you on your way.”

Kyle shifted back to human and Mark was decent enough to turn around and afford him some privacy as he redressed. After a few gingerly steps, Kyle found out that Mark was right and he was strong enough to walk.
That’s a relief.  I thought we might have to have been in a cast for a good while. Sure it’s mostly for show for the last three or four weeks to keep anybody from getting suspicious but that doesn’t stop that damn itchy feeling.

Tell me about it, hotshot. That summer in sixth grade when you fell out of that oak tree and broke your arm really put a damper on summer vacation.  We couldn’t go swimming and well, you know how kind summer was to Becca that year. 

Yeah. I think she would have liked these guys though. I see a lot of her in different ways among them. 

I know what you mean. His wolf paced in a circle and sighed. Yeah, she’d have loved it out here, that’s for sure.

Kyle took a deep breath in the void of his mind. Did we fail her?

His wolf gently licked his face. No. We took a little detour, that’s all. Sure, this lead might have been a bust but we’re not going home with our tail between our legs. We’re going to go home, talk to both Pops and Kiera, and do this thing right. No more going off half-cocked, agreed?

Agreed. 

Plus, I think this was good for us. You’ve started referring to us as a “we” and not as a “you and I” anymore.  That’s progress I think.

That or a complete psychotic break.

Hey, his wolf chuckled.  I’m the wiseass here. You’re the sensible half of our little duo, remember?

I’ll remember. But you’re right about how I’m thinking of us. I don’t even know when that started happening but it feels...right. Like talking to an old friend that we haven’t seen in a while.

Yeah. But once we get on the road, there’s something we need to do.

Yep. Not looking forward to it but we better call Pops and let him know what’s going on. Kiera too.

Well, I was going to say we need to find an all-you-can-eat buffet place if what Mark said is true about our energy level needing to be replenished, but your idea works too.

Now just one last thing to worry about.

What’s that, hotshot?

Wondering if a Wolf Alpha can strangle someone through a phone line and Pops never bothered telling us that.

***

 

As the two men crossed into the Howling Moon’s parking lot and headed for Kyle’s truck, Mark looked up and saw Kyle with his head held high with a smile on his face. 

Soon, Kyle’s truck was pulling out of the driveway and heading for the main road. He drove for about a half-hour until his stomach growled loudly. He pulled into a gas station and bought an armful of submarine sandwiches and a couple of large bags of chips. Finding an empty table in the back, away from the few other patrons who subtly were gawking at the amount of food they saw him carrying, he sat down and started digging in. Once he had finished the meal, he pulled out his cell. He stared at it for a moment trying to think of what he could say to the man who raised him.  He took a deep breath and dialed the hardware store. The phone rang a few times and with each ring, the knot in Kyle’s stomach grew. Finally, the receiver picked up.

“Ford’s Hardware,” a tired voice answered.

“Hi, Pops.”

Kyle,” Richard’s voice shouted as he fumbled the receiver in surprise. “Where the hell are you? Just what were you even thinking? Do you know how worried I’ve been?”

“Washington state Pops.”

“What are you doing clear out there?”

“It’s a long story and I’ll tell you soon. I promise.” Kyle took another deep breath to steady himself. “I’m sorry, Pops. I really am. I know you were just trying to protect me but I wasn’t always the best listener was I?” 

Despite himself, Richard grinned and Kyle could hear it in his voice. “No. That’s for damn sure. You were always so stubborn, drove me crazy, just like your mother. I hoped what you got from your father would cool that streak a bit. Should have realized that Ford blood in your veins is just too proud to roll over.” 

“Stubbornness was only a small part of it, Pops. Becca meant too much to me to just give her up and not do something. You always told me growing up that a boy can start a job---”

“But it takes a man to finish it.” Richard sighed and softly laughed. “Not fair you using my own words against me, son. All these years I’d hoped you’d finally start listening to me. I just wish it had happened sooner and under much happier circumstances.”

Kyle’s voice became just as soft. “Me too, Pops. Me too.”

Richard took a deep breath. “You be careful and come home soon. Call me anytime you need me, Kyle. I’m always here for you. I love you, son.”

“I love you too, Pops.” Kyle paused before he knew what would probably shatter the goodwill he’d built up so far. “Pops, while I was out here, I ran into a group of people. Bikers, mostly. But they’re led by a rogue.” He heard Pops take a sharp breath and quickly hurried on before the older man could interrupt. “He seems to know you, Pops.”

“I doubt that. You know my feelings on rogues.” 

“I know which is why it seemed really weird that he gave me a message to tell you when I next talked to you.”

“Doubt it’s anything I need to hear but go ahead.”

“His name’s Kurt Parker and he told me to tell you that he says “Hi.”

The line went quiet for so long that Kyle thought the line might have disconnected. Finally, he heard Pops take an even sharper breath and his voice was a bare whisper. “Just be careful, son. I love you.”

“I love you too, Pops. I’ll call you later tonight when I find a place to stay.” 

***

 

Richard shakingly put the receiver back into its cradle and fell into his office chair. He still couldn’t believe what Kyle had just told him. It didn’t even seem possible. What could the odds have even been for those two to cross paths? Fate had a wicked sense of humor apparently. He pulled open a bottom drawer and grabbed the bottle of whiskey he kept in there for special occasions. 

He twisted the cap off and took a long pull, letting the warmth of the liquor melt the ice that had formed in his gut. He set the bottle on the desk and stared at the sloshing brown liquid for a minute. He felt like the weight of the entire world had just dropped onto his shoulders and he was struggling to cope. 

Sighing heavily, he then reached down into the same drawer and pulled out a lockbox that he hadn’t opened since Kyle was in diapers. He unlocked it and pulled out a very old sepia photograph of a much younger Richard and another man in leather dusters standing in front of a pair of horses. It looked like any picture from the late 1800s or early 1900s. Well, except for one thing. There was a massive reptilian humanoid just to the side also wearing a duster. Blurry emblems were sewn into the thick leather.

Richard stared at the photograph for a very long time as the long years began to play through his mind. He set it down on the desk and took another deep swig that nearly drained the bottle. Setting the bottle on the desk, he leaned back in his chair. Well, when Kyle gets back, he and I are going to have a very long talk. I just hope he can forgive me. 

2