Drachenmagd #30
441 2 4
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Drachenmagd

Faaauuuuuusssttuuuuuuussss... Faaaaaauuuuuusssssttuuuuuuussss...

You will give it to me, right? I can have it, correct? I want it. Give it to me.

Faustus...?

Sebastian!

“Huh?”

What... has he done?

Drawing up, Sebastian first felt an incredible and throbbing pain within his head. It pounded – boom, boom, boom – over and over again. Wincing and groaning, the young earl pushed himself against the floor and desk before him, his eyes wheeling around as he scanned his immediate surroundings. He was still in his bedroom, still naked, while Igrene and Katherine had seemingly vanished.

Which means...

EEEEEEeeeeeeeeeeEEEEEeeeeeeeeeeEEEEEEeeeeeeeeeeEEEEEEeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!

Haah... that ringing in his hear... he heard it the first time something like this happened. When his clock explode and Zeit and Oden invaded, this was the noise that he woke up to. And now as he staggered to his legs, using his desk to prop himself up, the young earl realized that his plan was a success.

And his heart dropped.

Still dazed, he stared around his room in a cursory manner, taking note of how gray everything appeared to be. Through the curtains of his windows, he noticed a gray light beaming through. He approached it slowly, his heart racing and sweat pouring from his brow, while his hands gingerly reached out for the curtain's edge. Grabbing them, he pulled them aside to see--

“What the...?”

It was storming outside. Viciously storming. Wind and rain whipped left and right, while lightning coursed through the heavens like slithering snakes. Finally, one of Schonheit's powerful storms had form; the very same storm Emiline, Carmeline and Katherine had been preparing for throughout the week. Now it was beating down on his doorstep, but that's not all.

The storm was swirling around something, swirling around a large object that should not be there. It was a giant red moon. Only the underside of the moon was visible, poking through the swirling mass of vicious clouds that brought a maelstrom of wind and rain upon his estate. But unlike the brilliant and malevolent red moon brought on by Zeit's creation, this one's hue was less lustrous, appearing more faded like an aged penny. Reaching out for the lunar object, Sebastian wondered if this was due to his meager magical skill. Whether or not it was, he could only hope it worked nonetheless.

But he curled his hand in, feeling pangs in his heart as he realized what he had done. The very same pain he vowed he'd protect the drachenmagd from, was now the same pain that he was inflicting upon them. Just thinking about Rodeline, screaming in pain as her mind devolved like the last time, made his stomach toss while the desire to wretch nearly made him vomit.

No... he needed to keep pushing himself on. If he died here, Mephistopheles would get his soul, reducing him to nothing. He could not... would not except that. The mere thought of nothingness following his death, was enough to make his blood run cold yet emotions run hot. He would escape from the estate, even if he had to force his way through in order to do it!

But things are always easy when you say them aloud to yourself, aren't they?

For now Sebastian turned around, facing his bed where he rushed quickly for it. Reaching under, he grabbed something he had placed here in preparation for this escape: a gun case. Placing it upon his bed and popping it open, he revealed the lever-action shotgun he had been practicing with resting within its foam casing, as well as the box of Dragonsbane shotgun shells. Opening said box of shells, Sebastian shivered as he grabbed one green shell after another, loading them into his shotgun's chamber. He had some more ammo in reserve just in case he'd need them, but the shear fact that he was going through with this was enough to make his blood pump once again.

Shell, after shell, after shell went into his shotgun, and after a decisive--

CHA-CHUNK!

He had loaded it.

Then Sebastian sat there, just holding his shotgun near as he once more shivered in place. This mighty, powerful weapon with the ability to actually injure the drachenmagd, and he was holding it. His fingers twitched, his body shook, and he could hear himself breathing aloud. But worse came when he closed his eyes, imagining their face as he--

NO!!!

He couldn't do that; he needed to be stronger than this! Not because he was a Faust, but because he was a Milieus! The Faust family were entrenched in the control of the maids who raised them, nurtured them, and built them up to be perfect little earls. All whilst knowing that there would come day where they would deliver their souls on to their Mother in the afterlife.

Well... not him! He would not suffer the same fate as his Faustian ancestors! Even if he knew he was not strong enough to face the maids as they were, and probably never will be. But that's why he summoned the red moon in the first place. To keep them primal and ignorant, so when he looks into their glowing eyes, hopefully he would not see their faces, but see them as they truly were.

As demons. As mon...

“I need to go...” Sebastian whispered to himself as he prepared his shotgun in hand.

Quickly rushing for his closet, Sebastian put on clothing appropriate for escaping a place like this. Jeans, boots, a warm undershirt, and a sheepskin jacket with a puffy collar meant for hunting. With this jacket and its many pockets, he could easily hide away his shotgun shells, and even his Mauser pistol which he brought along with him. Now was only a matter of pulling the courage out of him to do this.

So he faced the door, his grip on his shotgun tightening and his eyes locking in on them. His expression was serious, but it was breaking here and there, especially as he took slow steps towards the doors in front of him. Then he gripped the knob, turned it, took a few moments to steel his nerves, and stepped through the door.

The hall outside was gray like his room, with a subtle crimson light mixed in with it all. Stepping out into the hall, he looked left and right curiously... before dropping his eyes on Mylene.

The Parlor Maid had her back to him, her hands tugging at the curtains of a window as she gazed out of it towards the ghastly red moon outside. Sebastian almost said her name out loud, but instead covered his mouth to silence himself. Then he stood there, just eyeing her back as he realized how... muted her movements were. She was usually bouncy and energetic, but not now. No, now she was--

He needed to move. He needed to move quickly before anyone noticed him. So he took a few steps back, slowly and silently, trying not to make a sound. But when he turned around to face the endless halls before him, he--

“Master...?”

Mylene called out to him, locking him in place as his eyes grew wide and sweat poured from his brow. Gripping his shotgun even tighter, the young earl's teeth began grinding against one another in barely restrained tension. Even before looking at her, he could imagine her face, could see the expression she was making with that forlorn look of hers. It made some tears stream out of his face.

Yet... and maybe even foolishly... he looked over his shoulder to face Mylene. She was looking at him in a confused manner, her hands running through her hair that looked rather... messy. Sweat was also on her body, making it look plastic-like and wet. Was this how she looked when Zeit attacked, and he just couldn't see it in the darkness of the night? Now as he looked at her, he realized just how powerful the pull of the red moon was on them.

But his was not strong enough.

His red moon was not up to par with the strength of the one Zeit made. Mylene was still sensible, not screaming like a raving lunatic like she was before. Nor was her dragonian appendages any more prominent... but the look in her yellow eyes could not be denied. They were glowing.

“What are you doing with that gun, Master? And what's with the sky outside? Why is there a moon?” Mylene asked as she took a step towards him, making him step back as he prepared his shotgun defensively, “What? Why are you acting like this? Are you okay?”

“Mylene...?” he replied as he swallowed his spit and looked away, “I... Mylene, I have to go.”

“Have to go...? Nyrrrrgghhh!?” her face grew tense, veins popping along its surface. But she was just as quick to shake her head, making it go away as she rubbed her temples, “Haaah... ooh... a-apologies, Master. But... g-go where? Is something the matter?”

“Mylene, please, just stand still!” he shouted, jolting her in place as he looked away, “I'm sorry but... d-dammit, I... I just need to go, I have to go!”

“GO WHERE!?” she shouted, before realizing what she had done, “Oh... apologies, Master. Please, tell me what is wrong so I can fix it! There is a... something outside, and it is...”

She then stopped, looking Sebastian up and down, up and down, up and down. The jacket, the gun, the tense look in his eye and stance; what was he up to? Why was he acting like this? Had something happened? Why did her head hurt!?

Shaking it off, Mylene took a step towards him, but Sebastian – by instinct – brought his shotgun up. Naturally, the Parlor Maid came to a halt, in shear disbelief that her Master was pointing a gun at her. This had to be some sort of joke, right? Even if that shotgun could not hurt her, the fact that he was brandishing it in her direction was indicative of his deeper feelings. She just couldn't believe it.

“I'm sorry... but... have I done something to offend?” Mylene asked as she approached him still, her hand reaching out.

“Mylene, I said stop!” he shouted... but she did not stop; she just kept coming.

“Please, Master, if something is wrong, I can take you back to your bedroom,” she replied, “See?” and then she smiled, this... desperate, almost crazed smile, “I'm okay! S-see? I'm fine! I promise! The red moon has not affected me, I swear! Please, let me take you back to your room!”

Before Sebastian knew it, she was standing in front of him by only a few feet. Her voice had calmed him down, but seeing those veins starting to protrude on the side of her head snapped the young earl back to reality. So he pulled his shotgun up again... but Mylene kept approaching.

“Mylene, please, stop,” he ordered, his voice low but still desperate.

“This is your fault, isn't it?” she asked, her face just as desperate as his, “Did you... put the moon up there? Master, please.”

“I said stop, Mylene!”

“THIS IS YOUR FAULT, ISN'T IT!? THIS IS YOUR FAULT!!!”

“MYLENE, I SAID STOP!!!”

“YOU'RE LEAVING US!? IGRENE WAS RIGHT!? YOU HATE US!? PLEASE, WHY DO YOU HATE US!? WE LOVE YOU! DON'T LEAVE US, MASTER! DON'T LEAVE US!”

“MYLEEEENNEEE!”

“PLEASE, WE--”

POW!!!

The sound bounced all throughout the hall. He pulled the trigger, he fired his gun, he shot Mylene. He SHOT Mylene. He SHOT Mylene.

He shot Mylene...

And if he thought merely shooting Mylene would be the worse thing he'd ever done, he was not ready for what happened next.

The barrel of his shotgun was steaming, a wisp flowing from it that slowly traveled skyward. His eyes reopened and he looked forward, his gaze falling on his maid who naturally recoiled from being shot. Her dress was tattered below her chest and on her stomach; the area where he'd shot her.

And she was bleeding. She was really bleeding.

Dragonsbane's power was not exaggerated, was not hyperbolic. No, Dragonsbane's power was real. Decades ago, it had enough strength to send Carmeline to Rodeline's office for medical aid. Today, it was enough to draw blood from Mylene.

But the Parlor Maid was still standing, her hand covering her wound where she was shot. Blood seeped between her fingers, soaking her uniform and dribbling down upon the floor beneath her. Her eyes were wide and she looked at Sebastian with disbelief, before bringing her gaze down to where she had been shot. And its only when she looked at her wound did--

“NEEEAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRHHHH!?!?!?!?”

Mylene scream. And she screamed so loud. A scream that shook the hall, shook the estate, and shook Sebastian. Shooting her was one thing, but actually hearing her scream was something else. This wail of pain made him cry hard, spit oozing from his lips. But he stood up tall, and when Mylene looked at him again, she said,

“Master? I... please... I'm sorry? What have I done? Forgive me!”

She took a step forward.

CHA-CHUNK!

POW!!!

And Sebastian fired again.

The blast forced Mylene back, stumbling towards the window she was leaning against before. Her eyes closed and she winced with pain, struggling to keep herself up while her eyes reopened to gaze at her Master once again. And when she did...

CHA-CHUNK!

POW!!!

His last blast had strength behind it. Massive strength. Enough strength that it not only knocked Mylene back, but it knocked her off of her dainty little feet. She was blown back with so much force that her body was flung through the glass window, making it break and shatter all around her body. And then she fell...

And fell...

And fell...

And--

THUD!!!

CHA-CHUNK!

Sebastian stood there, his eyes shaking and his hold on his shotgun growing loose. His chest started rising up and down, breathing hard as he looked at the shattered window before him. Rain showered in through it, along with billowing wind that tossed aside the curtains and glass. Everything in Sebastian's head told him to leave, to run, to start his planned escape.

But instead... he began walking forward. Ginger step after ginger step, breaking some glass beneath his feet as he came to the window in front of him. Reaching into his jacket, he reloaded his shotgun with Dragonsbane shells, while he stuck his head through the shattered window in front of him.

He shouldn't have done that.

Down, down, down, down, down... faaar below, resting between a wall and some bushes was Mylene's body. She had fallen down with nothing to break her descent, so she laid there, her arms sprawled out beside her head, legs crossed, mouth and eyes wide, with a pool of red blood oozing all around her. Rain and wind struck her relentlessly, but she was not moving, not breathing. She was nothing more than a corpse... a shocked, lifeless corpse.

And Sebastian could not take it!

“No... NOOOOOO!!! AAAAHHHHAAAHHHHH!!!”

He closed his eyes and palmed his face, screaming into it as tears streamed down his cheeks. His other hand held close his shotgun, which suddenly felt as vile as venom within his sweaty palms. To shoot Mylene, to kill Mylene... he could not believe what he had done! And it ached at him, ate at him, made bile flow from his mouth as he--

GURRRRRKKKK!!!

Yeah... that...

Palming his mouth, Sebastian fell to his knees before the shattered window, once again questioning if this was something he wanted to do. Could he still be forgiven for what he'd done to Mylene? Did the Drachenmagd love him so much that they'd forgive such a horrible thing? For heaven's sake, he was just sleeping with Mylene yesterday. He was just sleeping with all of them yesterday! And now...

Now...

Her giggles, her loving words, her mischievous exoressions, her everything... gone from him. And he took it. Not Zeit, not Oden, not Klaus, but himself. He did it, and there was no one to blame but him.

This... this was going to be impossible. He thought he could handle himself before, thought he could steel himself for what would happen. The red moon would drive them crazy, so he wouldn't need to stare them in the face when he pulled that trigger. But Mylene was Mylene, confused and scared by what was happening, and when he shot her... he saw that pain. He did not see a beast, or a demon, or a monster... he saw Mylene, the Green Serpent, his Parlor Maid.

And he shot her...

KRAAAAACK-KAAAAAWWWWWWW!!!

The howl of thunder followed a flash of lightning, both of which causing Sebastian to straighten up. Palming his shotgun once again, the young earl stared down the silent hall behind him, realizing he needed to keep pushing on. But before he did, he – once again foolishly – decided to stare out the window to gaze upon Mylene's corpse one final time.

And he saw nothing; Mylene was gone. No body, just her blood being washed and blown away by the powerful storm outside.

Instantly all the tears he had dried up, and his once mournful face shifted into shock and fear. Despite the storm brewing overhead, Sebastian could hear his heart beating into his chest. Ba-boom! Ba-boom! Ba-boom! Over and over again. But even over the vicious pounding of his heart, he could hear...

Clip... cliiiiickkk... strriiiiiipp!

In front of Sebastian through the window was a spire; one of many that compromise the Faust Estate. Sebastian dragged his eyes up the pillar as he heard the sound of chipping tiles, his gaze falling upon a vicious being. Longer than a truck, it was coiled around the pillar by feet and feet and feet. A verdant monstrosity of a creature, with a long, slender tail, no legs, but skinny arms which it used to peel apart ceiling tiles. Its snout was snake like, its fangs were long, its horns were green and shaped like sharp, dangerous leaves, from its head spilled blonde hair, and from its back extended wings like the petals of a flower.

And its eyes. Its serpentine, golden-yellow eyes. They glowed as they leered at him, piercing his very existence. But nothing amounted to that roar...

“SSSSNYYAAAAAARRRRRRRRRGGGHHHHHH!!!”

Its voice was strong. Its voice shook the air. Its voice shook his very body. But Sebastian did not hear the monstrous cry of a brutal monster or a titanic beast. No, Sebastian heard Mylene. And Mylene struck.

Fwooosh! KRRAAASSHHHH!!!

Even more glass was shattered as Mylene dashed in, forcing Sebastian to dive out of the way himself in order to dodge her sudden tackle. She flew right over his head, sprinkling glass around her that cut into her Master's skin, even as he defended himself. But Mylene pressed her chest to the floor, slithering like a snake as she turned to face her Master. In response he struggled back to his feet, panting in fear as the crazed Green Serpent dashed for him once again.

Suddenly atop him, Sebastian's brown eyes met her reptilian yellow once. She had him pinned in place, face to face and with no where to go. Then her hand struck, but he rolled out of the way. She struck again, but he kicked at her jaw. The strike did nothing save for garner a frustrated snarl from her face. She quickly swung back, but--

POW!!!

The blast struck her jaw, making Mylene recoil as it penetrated the scales of her body. It was enough to force her on the retreat, her hand stroking her jaw as more blood flowed from it. The rancid odor filled the air, mixing with the Green Serpent's natural lemony scent to create something utterly horrible. Sebastian hated it, but as he got to his feet, he kept his gaze locked on the beast before him.

Mylene slithered and swirled, her long body ruining the opulent halls around them as she knocked random objects aside. With her tail she grabbed a nearby chair, tossing it overhead towards Sebastian. But he jumped out of the way, falling on his chest as Mylene slithered over in chase. She gave her Master no time, coiling his tail around him to keep him bound, but Sebastian had his arms freed, and having taken aim at the Green Serpent's face, he--

POW!!!

The blow jerked Mylene's head back, slamming it into the wall behind her. In response, her tail released him, letting him drop down to the ground. Sebastian collapsed upon his legs and knees, watching as the Green Serpent gasped and groaned. Having taken two blasts to the head like this, as well as blast to her body in her human form, Mylene was dazed and rattled. Blood poured from her face, oozed down her scales, and cascaded down her chest, mixing green with red in a horrible image. That last blast must have been enough, because Mylene snapped her gaze to the shattered windows, darting towards it to make a sudden escape.

More glass and wood broke upon her retreat, while Sebastian laid there, battered and bruised. His body was cold from the rain and wind that blew through the window, matting him down and nearly drenching his form. But he got back to his feet, gasping for breath as his eyes peered through the shattered window in front of him. Mylene was gone, but he knew this was only momentary. She would be back, and he couldn't risk her finding him again.

One by one Sebastian loaded shells into his shotgun, his gaze cutting towards the halls in front of him. If Mylene was that dangerous, then there's no telling what the other maids would be like. And if he ran into more than one... if he ran into multiple at once. Not just two, but three, maybe even four.

Would they kill him? Would dying here send him straight to Mephistopheles? Was all of this pointless? No... he needed to keep going! He needed to keep pushing himself on. So he readied his shotgun once more and pushed towards the distance.

Shivering step... by shivering step... keep... going... please...

Sebastian felt some pain in his body, but not too much. Mylene's squeezes, rushes and tackles knocked his body around, but as he made is way to the end of the hall, he felt most of his injuries finally subside. Now he just needed to work his way to--

THUNK!... THUNK!...

Holding close his shotgun, Sebastian slowly rounded the corner, his eyes peering into the distance where he saw a retreating pink tail. His head shook while he tried to figure out why Rodeline was up here. And with those heavy footsteps, had she too already transformed into a dragon? Had the others transformed as well?

Focus on one thing at a time, Sebastian. Rodeline was down that hall right now, meaning it was a virtual no-go zone. That's bad, because his most direct path towards the front gates of the estate were that way. He could take another path to get out of the estate, but none of those were close by, and all increased the chances of him running into a drachenmagd.

Though going by his luck...

No, don't think that!

Looking away, Sebastian decided on another path around the maids. He could slip down this hallway and make way downstairs. So he darted down the hallway, jogging at a brisk pace whilst trying to keep down the sounds of his footsteps. But as he came to another corner, he slid to a halt, his shotgun grasped in hand. Slowly he peered around the corner...

“Feheeeheheeeeheheheheeee!!!”

And he saw nothing.

No one stood in the halls before him, something that surprised Sebastian. He could have sworn he heard Adeline just then, but the corridor was completely empty, and even the staircase in front of him was completely unguarded. It was like a free pass... but Sebastian was smart enough to know it wasn't that easy. In fact, he began trembling like crazy, his teeth grinding against his teeth.

And a sliver of drool came down, falling upon his face and neck. It was hot, but it turned sooooo cold sooooo quickly. Don't look up; he kept telling himself not to look up! Don't look up! Don't look up! Don't look up! Don't look up!

He looked up...

He saw yellow...

FWUMP! THRASHH!!!

“OOOOF!?”

Quickly Sebastian leaped out of the way, landing on his chest as a yellow being slammed down where he once was. Scurrying to turn around and get to his feet, the young earl gazed into the direction of where he stood, his eyes falling upon a little yellow demon with the face and snout of a crocodile. It was larger than the largest dog, yet still smaller than Sebastian was. Its tail was incredibly long and thick, and its horns even thicker, whilst being curved as it jutted from the side of this reptilian creature's head. Its scales were as yellow as the sun, its eyes this piercing red, while a glorious red mane of vicious hair flowed from the top of its head. Its hind legs were incredibly thick, with claws sharp enough to rend flesh, stone, wood, and steel. But its arms? Its arms were most unique, being less thick than its legs, but with glorious, membranous wings attached to it.

This creature hunkered down to the floor, its foot scratching against the ground to uproot wood and chips. All the while, Sebastian couldn't believe what he was looking at. Her dragonic form did not change the features of her he recognized: the thick tail, the large horns, the red hair, the red eyes; he recognized it all! And now it was leering at him, dangerous and vicious, wild and primal.

And seeking to pounce...

“Adeline do--”

“FURRRRAAAAAAAHHHHH!!!”

She darted for him, flying at sudden speeds in a headlong rush. Ducking down, Sebastian just barely dodged the Yellow Wyvern's attack, but she was as skilled as she was fast. Extending her arms, her wings caught the wind to stop her rush, allowing her to alter course. Turning around, Adeline landed on the ground as her red eyes once again locked on her Master, who himself turned to face her.

She was winding up for another attack, trapping Sebastian between a hall one way, and her the other. There was no way he could get to the staircase behind her now, meaning he needed to run in the opposite direction. And with her standing there, she--

“FURRRAAAHH!”

“SHIT!?”

Adeline took to the air, flying towards Sebastian and forcing him to run down the hall in front of him. He put to work that increased athletic skill of his, running as fast as he could from the gliding hellion above. Her roars filled the air, masking her steadily increasing speed. She was diving towards him, just about to tackle him to the ground when--

He suddenly juked to the right, leaping around another corner to dodge Adeline's dash. But she was moving too fast, rendering her incapable of changing course to give chance. Meaning she--

KRRRRAAAASSSHHHH!!!

Straight into a wall and some furniture.

Rolling over on his back, Sebastian gazed into the debris caused by Adeline's impact, hearing a pained whimper noise echo from within. She emerged soon after, shaking wood and other objects off of her head as her red eyes gazed around in a momentary daze. But she was quick to recoil from the impact, her red eyes once again leering in Sebastian's direction, and her mouth splitting wide. Gazing into her open maw, he saw rows upon rows of vicious teeth, and a long tongue descending straight into a well of darkness.

And that noise...

“FUUURRRRAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHRRRAAAAAHHHH!!!”

She began pounding towards him on all fours, knocking away any residing debris while he struggled to get his shotgun ready. Hesitation was quick to descend upon Sebastian, locking him in place as the Yellow Wyvern came closer and closer and closer.

But... he couldn't do it; he couldn't shoot Adeline as well! He imagined her pout, her cocky and superior words, her demands that he apologize and make amends for his shortcomings. Through her, he noticed more of his failings and weak spots, and deigned to fix them. And, yes, her mocking tones too; they always oozed into his ears, made him laugh. He loved how boisterous and mighty she was, despite her smaller frame. And now as he came face to face with her dragonian form, he remembered how difficult this all was!

But he couldn't stop himself... wouldn't stop himself. If he could shoot Mylene, then he could shoot...

POW!!!

“GURK!?”

A blast of Dragonsbane pellets, rocketing straight into Adeline's face. It had enough force to jerk her head up and back, silencing her roar and making her step back. The air was thick with the wisp of the pellets, and soon replaced with the odorous smell of blood. That copper scent made Sebastian's nose curl, but he stared forward regardless, gazing upon Adeline's face.

And he saw blood streaming down half of her face, mixing with her yellow scales. Much like Mylene before, the power behind these shells proved themselves, knocking and dazing the Yellow Wyvern, who began flapping her wings to retreat. Only one blast was good enough for her; no more...

No more...

“Furrraaahh...?”

Adeline quickly flew away, leaving Sebastian behind as she vanished behind corners. The young earl laid there, looking down at himself where he realized some of Adeline's blood had fallen upon him. Stroking it off his clothes, he shivered from its warm feeling. This... this was Adeline's blood; he drew blood from her just as he'd done to Mylene!

How long would this go on!? He couldn't keep this up! He thought it would be easier to fight them if they were wild and primal; if he didn't need to see their faces when he pulled the trigger! But when he did pull the trigger – when he did shoot them – he still heard them. Their voices may be more bestial than before, but it was still their voices. He could still hear Mylene and Adeline, speaking amid their dragonian roars. And each time he did... he... he...

“I'm gonna puke,” he groaned as he turned to his left, and, “UURRRRRRKKGGHH!?

How much longer is he gonna keep this up? He wanted to stop right now. He wanted to lay down and ask for their forgiveness, beg for their forgiveness. But the thought of Mephistopheles crept into his mind, reminding him of his ever impending doom. What lays beyond the edge of life?

For him? For a Faust? Nothing. And the abject, abstract horror that is 'nothing' forced Sebastian to keep going.

He got back to his feet, rubbing his belly before reaching into his coat to procure more Dragonsbane. Loading them into his shotgun and pulling on its lever, the young earl once again continued his singular trek for freedom. Much like Mylene, Adeline was now gone, but he knew this feeling would not last. She wasn't unconscious, wasn't dead, meaning there was a high chance she – or both of them – would come back to antagonize him in the future. He needed to quickly leave before they got the chance to.

Or before more of his maids seized upon him.

By now, his escape had to be realized by the others. They at least should have heard him, adding more unnecessary risks to this already risky escape.

Sebastian's body was hurting a little bit from all the dodging and some of the debris having slammed upon him, but he he was okay. For now he pushed on for the halls in the distance, recognizing he was still in the sleeping chambers of his estate. So many bedrooms, all looked after despite no one sleeping in them. But, wait, if he was in the sleeping chambers, then--

“NNNHHAAAAAAARRRRRLLLLLL!!!”

Followed by a...

FRRRROOOOOOOSSSSHHHH!!!

Gazing over, Sebastian's eyes befell the windows in this hall, watching as a serpentine shadow streaked past him, writhing against the vicious storm outside. It was enough to make him stop, the sound of its voice keying him in and confirming that, yes, it was Selene. And going by her mere shadow, she was incredibly, incredibly, long. Going on and on and on, with no end in sight. And by the time she did vanish from view, the air was still ringing with her rampant roars.

She didn't know where he was, but that didn't make things easier for him. If she was patrolling the air around the estate, she easily swoop upon him if he steps outside. Perhaps if he travels to the courtyard, he could hide within its gardens away from her gaze. But that brings up the case of Carmeline, who was no doubt patrolling the courtyard as her domain as well.

Dammit! They were everywhere! Just keep pushing... avoid... avoid!

Avoid...

His path thrown off by Adeline's sudden attack, Sebastian found himself rushing towards the eastern wing of his estate. Bit by bit, the tables and couches and chairs were replaced by suits of armor, brandishing swords, spears and axes. He stepped through doors, entering into a wide open room with eight pillars – four on each side – running towards another pair of doors at the back. And at each pillar were immobile suits of armor, standing guard over various pieces of furniture.

Sebastian... had never been in this room before, and a look of confusion appeared on his face. The Faust Estate has many rooms, most of which no longer serve a purpose thanks to the passing of time. Perhaps this room was once a training room? Maybe just a place to stow away its suits of armor?

Whatever purpose this room once serve, stumbling in here did not leave Sebastian feeling joy. No, he felt apprehensive still, knowing that so long as he was close to weapons, he was in her domain. And of all the drachenmagd, he feared what would happen if he ran into her above the others. Not just because of the emotions she invoked within him, but because of just how dangerous she could be.

The Marshal was already the most skilled in combat before... how would she be as a dragon?

Figuring it was best to run away from her outright, Sebastian pushed on towards the opposing doors in this open room. The knobs turned and he pushed through, exiting out into another hall with armored knights standing on each end. In the distance he could see a staircase; finally, a surefire way back downstairs! And with no drachenmagd in sight, he could just--

KRRAAAAAASHH!!!

Speak too soon...

One of the windows in the room shattered, breaking apart as a yellow blur darted into the area. Looking over, Sebastian's eyes once again befell Adeline, having returned following her brief retreat. He thought the shotgun shell would have been enough, but this was not true. Landing on the ground, she once again scraped at the floor with her hide legs, while her mouth split open too-

“FUUUUUFFUURRAAAAAAAHHHHH!!!”

Her roar shook the room around them, dazing Sebastian as she quickly dashed for him. Wings flapping, the Yellow Wyvern viciously slashed and tore at the young earl with her hind legs, her talons tearing through his clothes to scratch his body beneath. He brought up his arms to defend himself, but they too were viciously slashed at with her powerful limbs. And with one savage kick--

THWAK!

“AAHH!?”

KLASH!

“UGH!?”

THUD! THUD! KCLAALSH!

“GAHK!?”

She knocked him aside, slamming into suits of armor that fell atop him. Sebastian was dazed and nearly knocked unconscious, but only nearly. Pushing some of the objects off of him, he watched as Adeline landed back down on the ground, blood streaming down half of her face as her teeth clicked with a savage growl. She hunkered down, prowling on all fours towards her Master who readied his shotgun once again. This time she knew what to expect however, darting to the left to dodge his blast. But Sebastian was far more skilled with the shotgun than she expected, having practiced his skeet shooting. She could dart about as much as she wished, but--

POW!!!

“FURRRKH!?”

He was still capable of hitting her.

The blast knocked Adeline down, sending her tumbling and rolling on her back as a raspy cry left her reptilian lips. Quickly rolling back upon all fours, she shook her head to fight off the pain, before looking over to where she had been shot. Right on her chest laid bent and broken scales, drawing more blood by his hands. Adeline winced and mewled, her sounds quickly mixing into a roar as her gleaming red eyes once more locked upon her target. But as Sebastian finally got back to his feet from beneath the suits of armor...

THUNK! THUNK! THUNK!

The entire room began shaking, making him look over his shoulder. The doors behind him had been opened, revealing a majestic being standing well over twelve feet, even as it traveled on all fours. Its body was adorned in opulent indigo scales that looked strong enough to rebuff the strongest attacks, and with its bulky yet still somehow lithe form, it certainly looked powerful enough to dish out earth shattering strikes as well. Its head was sharp and angular, broken only by its single, ebony horn that stretched on for feet. And then there were its glowing teal eyes that illuminated the room around them.

The creature was stoic and silent, walking into the room casually before unfolding its glorious wings. Every aspect of its pointed body was meant for one thing and one thing alone; shredding its targets. From its horn, to the blades on its wings and tail, to the claws and talons on its hands and feet, this creature was destruction incarnate. And it locked its eyes on Adeline.

“OOOORRAAWWW!!!”

Just one strike, just one swipe. A mere toss of the Indigo Dragon's hand, and the Yellow Wyvern was sent flying. She struck the wall, flattening against it with so much force, wood broke upon her impact. Like before, the blow was not enough to fully incapacitate her, but was more than enough to get a point across. Adeline was injured by the blow, her body falling upon the ground where she howled and whimpered. Head wheeling around, she looked to the window she broke in through for a chance to escape, but...

SWOOP... THRASH!

“FURRHK!?”

The Indigo Dragon's tail swung around, striking her with so much force she slammed into suits of armor, making it crumble and fall upon her. This time, there was no movement. This time, Adeline was down.

All as Sebastian watched, getting to his feet with eyes wide. But then – as sweat broke down his face and his teeth chattered against one another – he slowly turned over to face the grand Indigo Dragon who put Adeline down. It took a step towards him and he stepped back, brandishing his shotgun in his hands, though he felt no relief from it. This looming behemoth that stood well over twelve feet was slowly approaching him, step, by step, by step.

“Emily... pleeasseee...” he begged, but...

His cries fell on deaf ears.

“OOORRAAAAAWWW!!!”

Emiline stood up on her hind legs, swatting at the air in front of Sebastian in an attempt to subdue him. Her claws instead struck the pillars and suits of armor, making the entire room rattle around them as Sebastian ducked back. Scrambling for the doors behind him, he broke through for freedom, but the Indigo Dragon would not be stopped.

Slamming through the doors in chase, Emiline pounded through the hall on all fours, her teal eyes locked on Sebastian. He was rushing through at top speed, but even when she was in her human form, the Marshal could easily run rings around him... and have. So in her dragon form, running and pounding, he knew he could not escape her grasp.

He just needed to get to the staircase! She was larger than it, making it impossible for her to get through it. If he just--

FWOOOOOSH!!!

“GAH-HA!?”

The Indigo Dragon suddenly flew overhead, her speed so great, it created a slipstream that sent Sebastian tumbling upon the floor. Looking up, he watched as Emiline landed before the staircase, once again blocking his direct path for escape. He skidded to a halt, and when her teal eyes locked upon him, he felt as if the gun in his hands was suddenly worthless. But, no; if Dragonsbane was strong enough to send Carmeline to Rodeline's office, then it should be strong enough to hurt Emiline!

Strong enough... to hurt... Emiline... he couldn't believe he was thinking about it, let alone willing to go through with it. Once more he felt the desperate need to vomit starting to rise... but he held it in. Especially when the Indigo Dragon roared.

“OOORRRAAAAAWWWWWWHHHHH!!!”

Sebastian took aim with Emiline's mouth, watching as she – much like Adeline before – scraped her feet against the ground like a runner starting its sprint. But Sebastian held his ground, even as he shook and shivered in spot, fearing what may come, and how fast it would come.

Emiline dashed for him, her large body pounding as her mouth split wide. But Sebastian, he--

POW!!!

The blast struck Emiline, drawing blood and jerking her head back... but it did not stop her. In fact, she seemingly ran even faster.

“What!?”

CHA-CHINK!

POW!!!

Again he struck her – this time in the chest – and again it did nothing. Blood was starting too ooze down Emiline's form, but in her primal fury, the Indigo Dragon seemingly ignored it. She even pulled her hands back, puffing out her broad chest as her claws extended out. She was going to press him together; crush her hands tightly around his body.

But he was fast. When she struck, he ducked, just barely dodging her savage squeeze. Her hands clapped together, shaking the room around them as the sound of it rang into his ears. But Sebastian steeled himself up, his shotgun aiming forward as he--

POW!!!

“ORRAGGH!?”

Shot Emiline, right in the ankle!

Dragonsbane tore into her scales and flesh, making her stumble and fall over on her side as her foot gave out on her. But Emiline was stronger than that, and even worse, was now annoyed. Getting up on all fours while Sebastian scurried to his feet, the Indigo Dragon let loose a roar that shook the halls around them. But the young earl was already bolting for the staircase, and nearly there too! Just a few more feet and--

SWIPE!

“ACCK!? OOF!!!”

He was tripped up by a tail, falling over and slamming face first into the floor. Groaning aloud, he didn't notice the slithering appendage was wrapping around his leg until it clinched in. His eyes grew wide, followed by a sharp yell as he was pulled back by the mighty dragon. He turned to face her, those teal eyes bright, her mouth wide, and this intense heat burning from within.

She was going to incinerate him!

Ironic then that Sebastian – once again – fell upon his previous training with the Marshal in order to save himself. Despite fear making his blood run cold, the young earl pulled out his shotgun once again and took aim. Fire was just about to come roaring from the Indigo Dragon's throat when--

POW!!!

A wicked blast roared from his shotgun's barrel, slamming straight up into Emiline's chin with so much force that it closed her mouth. Teeth slammed against teeth, blood oozed from her head, while fire exploded from her nostrils and mouth. Her teal eyes grew wide as pain surged through her like an explosion, and her tail finally released Sebastian. Then she stumbled back, her hands pressed to her mouth while painful wails left her lips. Waving and shaking, the Indigo Dragon had taken too much damage far too quickly, activating some primal aspect of her mind that told her this was just not worth it.

So as Sebastian propped himself up on his elbows, he watched as Emiline made her retreat, slipping through the doors behind her. Knowing there was a high chance she would regain the will to chase him like Adeline did, the young earl ran towards the staircase in the distance, stuffing himself inside where he--

“AAAAHHHHAAAAA!?”

Wailed in pain...

Sebastian leaned his back up against the wall, his arms holding himself close as blood oozed from his wounds. Adeline's claws tore into flesh, but his adrenaline was pumping so fast that he ignored it. Now that time had caught up with him, he felt that pain burn into his systems, making him double over as tears welled in his eyes.

But he had prepared for something like this.

Reaching into his jacket, Sebastian got out some medical items; coils and rubbing alcohol. He knew it would burn, and he was ready for the burn, so he popped the top and--

Sssssssssssssssss!!!

“Nnnggghhh!?”

Okay... he only thought he was ready for the burn.

Pouring the alcohol upon his body, he curled in from the intense pain he suffered. But it was not enough to stop him from wrapping those coils around his arms next. Tightened down, the young earl finally let a sigh of relief free from his lips as he pressed his back to the wall behind him, his shotgun propped to his side. Okay, how many shells was that? Shit... he lost count. But when he checked his jacket, yes, he still had plenty to go by.

He hoped...

One by one he loaded shells into his weapon, cocked it, then readied it in his hands. He had made it down to the ground floor of his multi-tiered estate, but that didn't leave him hopeful. There were still eight more maids out there, and that's not getting into Igrene and Katherine. If they were capable of retaining their mental capacity against Zeit's moon, then they should be strong enough to withstand his attempt at producing a fake moon. But if they were still cognizant... then where were they?

Focus on the immediate, Sebastian; those problems will arise when the moment comes. He hadn't even gotten out of the estate yet!

Emerging on the ground floor, Sebastian peered over the corner's edge, gazing one way then the other to make sure no one else was here. He saw nothing, but he heard something, he heard claws digging against wood and furniture. Someone was here, but he wasn't sure who that someone was. It could be Rodeline having come downstairs, or even Katherine pounding through here. He knew whoever was here would need hands to make such a noise. But...

Slllliiiidddeeee...

Oooh...

He saw a skinny purple tail. By far the skinniest tail he had come across for any of the drachenmagd. A skinny purple tail, hm? That belongs to--

“RRRAAAAWWRR!!! RWWWAARRRRRR!!!”

Larsine...

Apprehensively emerging from the staircase, Sebastian slowly peered over its edge in the direction he saw Larsine. Naturally, he chose to travel into the opposing corridor, hunkering down and sticking close to the walls so that he could not be seen. But as he traveled down the halls in front of him, he found his eyes picking up Larsine's discarded clothes. Torn to shreds, it was ripped apart by her increase in size during her transformation.

Jeeze... even now these close emitted sparkles. Wait... that's right... sparkles. Larsine doesn't smell like anything from as far as he's noticed, but she emits sparkles. Thus far, all the maids still smelled like themselves: Mylene and lemons, Adeline and her sweet aroma, Emiline and her lavender scent. But what of Larsine and her sparkles? Did they serve any purpose? Did they--

Cliiiiirrrrrrp... thaack... sstriiippp...!

He had lingered about for too long; he should have been running by now! His foolish idling gave Larsine ample amount of time to sneak up on him, making him swing around to face the hall behind him. And he saw...

Nothing.

“What?”

But then he stepped back, and--

Pat!

“Huh? Oooooh... oh no...”

He swung around again, his eyes befalling the avian-looking face of a reptilian creature. It was long, lithe and slender, with purple scales showering its body like chainmail armor. Powerful hind legs but skinnier forelimbs, ones that had wings attached to them. Horns jutted from the head of this creature, white, curved, and perfect for impaling. And of course, those eyes, which sparkled even now like stars despite its monstrous visage.

Sebastian opened his mouth to speak, but Larsine silenced him as she opened her mouth wide and--

“RRRRAAAAAAAAAWWWWWWRRRRRRRRRR!!!”

“GAAH!?”

There was force behind this roar, enough of it that it sent Sebastian tumbling and rolling back. He came to a halt on his back, gazing up towards his ceiling as pain rumbled through his very core. Groaning on the floor, the young earl palmed his chest briefly before looking over towards the oncoming beast before her. The Violet Wyvern stalked him on all fours, her tongue sliding out to lick her lips as her starlight eyes pierced the gray halls around them. Biting upon his bottom lip, Sebastian worked up enough courage to pull out his shotgun, aiming it forward and--

Hesitating. Hesitating? Again!? He hesitates again considering all that has happened thus far!? Why was this so damn hard!? He thought it would get easier! But shooting them only proved to get more and more difficult! Even with her horrifying visage as a true dragon, Larsine was still Larsine, and he struggled to separate the two.

THWAK!

But then her hand slammed down beside his head, her eyes gleaming as they befell him. Finally Sebastian worked up enough courage to point his shotgun forward, stuffing it against Larsine's chest. She opened her mouth, he fired...

POW!!!

Her eyes grew wide as a sprinkling of blood fell down upon Sebastian's gun and chest. Wailing out painfully, the Violet Wyvern pulled herself off of his body, her hands palming her chest where she had been shot. Sebastian too looked up at her, watching as she contorted and writhed... before glaring back at him as a vicious snarl started rising up from her throat. One blast of Dragonsbane was not enough for her.

In fact...

Gleam... bleam... sheen... gweam...

“What the...?”

Larsine began emitting sparkles, more and more. They were bright, they were white, and they filled the air round her, nearly blinding him. He brought up his hand and stared in her direction however, watching as the light show steadily died out to be replaced with...

Nothing. Did... did Larsine--

THUMP! THUMP! THUMP!

Looking down, Sebastian watched as footsteps pounded into the floor, despite there not being a creature there. His expression was wide with disbelief, before he realized that, oh no... Larsine's sparkles worked like camouflage; she was invisible!

“RAAAAWWWRRRRR!!!”

THWAK!!!

“OOOFF!?”

From out of nowhere, an invisible hand slammed into his chest, throwing him feet away where he fell upon the ground to a halt. Moaning out in pain as he gripped his chest, Sebastian struggled to realize what was going on. Larsine could make herself invisible? Has she done this before!? Aaah! Didn't matter; he couldn't fight something he could not see!

“Aaah... haarrgghh!”

Ignoring the pain that roared inside of him, Sebastian quickly rolled upon his feet, while the Violet Wyvern's vicious approach continued to pound through the corridor. In this wide open hall, Sebastian knew escaping her would be impossible, nor did he want to waste bullets trying to hit something he could not see. So as he passed a nearby door, he threw caution to the wind and slammed his shoulder through, hoping he'd find a place to hide.

Instead he found the exact opposite. Sebastian found a dance studio. It was open and sparse, only separated by banisters that dancers would cling to in order to help their balance. Once again, Sebastian discovered a room he did not know existed, having never needed to see such a place before. And now – with the Violet Wyvern baring down upon him – he could only curse his luck! He was hoping for a place with objects to hide at, not an open space with next to nothing in it!

THRAAASSHHH!!!

“Ah!?”

Looking back, Sebastian watched as the doors he came in through broke apart, debris floating ominously in the air as they sprinkled down upon Larsine's invisible form. He could not see her face, but he could feel her eyes, sharply penetrating his very existence as he stood before her with his shotgun in hand.

Sebastian scrambled for an escape route, but the only exits were behind Larsine and behind him on the opposite site of the room. But with how wide open it was and the Violet Wyvern's ability to turn invisible, the young earl knew he could not easily slip past her, and if he made a break for the exit behind him, she'd cut him off as well. He needed to stand here and fight, at least enough to daze her so he could slip off, but how could he fight that which he could not see?

But... wait... do you see it? He saw it! The massive mirror the dance studio has, perfectly reflected Larsine despite her camouflage. The sparkles worked on Sebastian's human eyes, but did not work against the reflective sheen of the mirror, meaning he could see the Violet Wyern perfectly.

And she was about to strike him.

FWOOSH!!!

“GUH!”

He ducked back just in time, dodging her swipe which slapped aside some banisters, sending them flying. Planting his feet down, Sebastian readied his shotgun in hand, taking aim dead center with Larsine's body as he continued using the mirror for aide. This time, there was no hesitation. This time he--

POW!!!

“RRACCKKH!?”

Larsine stumbled back, knocking more banisters out of her way as her sparkles began diminishing. It showed the distorted image of the Violet Wyvern, emerging like a shadow in a bog. Flicking his lever, Sebastian took aim again and--

POW!!!

“RRAAAWWHH!?”

The second blast struck Larsine again, forcing her on the retreat as she continued taking blow after blow to her chest. The sparkles again diminished, making her hazy form more opaque. One more flick of his lever, and one more squeeze of the trigger...

POW!!!

“RRRRRRRGGHHHH!?”

But that last one... that seemed to piss Larsine off more than it did hurt her. In fact – unlike the others who eventually felt like it wasn't worth it – the Violet Wyvern only doubled her chase of her Master, pounding towards him once again. Shocked by how brazen she was being, Sebastian watched as she rose up for another strike, her claws gleaming in the air. In response, he quickly took aim with her head and--

POW!!!

The blast struck the side of Larsine's jaw, jerking her head back as she stumbled upon unsteady feet. Going and going and going until--

KRASSHH!!!

The glass from the mirror shattered all about, sprinkling upon Larsine as Sebastian stood by. She was seemingly down, not moving as blood oozed along her body. Even the sparkles she emitted were dying down, leaving Sebastian to stand there and just...

Stare...

“Larsine...” he whispered out longingly.

He wanted to check up on her, but he knew that was a stupid idea. But... how could he not long for Larsine, who had been practically his shadow since he met her? Wherever he went, she was not too far behind as his Valet. Always driving him around, always ready to lend a helping hand, always sharing such witty comments with Mylene and Nadine. And now he had shot two out of three of them.

Going by this rate, he would run into every maid before the night was over. And with the multiple injuries he's taken, he wasn't sure if he'd have the energy to survive.

But he strove for escape, turning to face the doors behind him. Slowly staggering towards it as pain racked his form, he just about got ready to reload his shotgun and--

Swip!

“Oh no...”

Larsine wasn't out.

Her tail suddenly caught his leg, tripping him up and causing him to drop his shotgun and Dragonsbane shells. Jerking Sebastian back, the young earl was dragged against the ground, knocking against banisters and glass as he was pulled straight towards the Violet Wyvern. Before he knew it, he was pinned beneath her body, watching as blood streaked down her avian face and her starlit eyes penetrated his very soul.

And her mouth...

“RRRRRAAAAWWWWWRRRRRRRRR!!!”

It shook and rumbled his ears, making him scream out in pain as his hands clamped on his ears from its intensity. When his hands clenched for his shotgun, he remembered it fell from his grasp when she knocked him down, leaving him without protection or some way to fight her off. So what now!? He just fucking dies!?

He palmed around in search of something, anything, to help free him from her grasp. No shotgun, no Dragonsbane, just--

There!

As Larsine brought her head down to impale Sebastian upon her horns, the young earl grasped the first thing that came to hand; a sharp piece of glass. Grabbing it as hard as he did tore into his flesh, but he ignored the pain as he swung over with the shard, jabbing it right into the Violet Wyvern's head.

Normally, such a strike would do nothing to a dragon and instead shatter the glass he held upon. But Sebastian stabbed where he shot her before, jamming the shard of glass in still sensitive and bleeding flesh. It penetrated her, drawing more blood from her as she pulled back with a wail of pain. Freed from her grasp, Sebastian quickly rushed for his shotgun before she could retaliate, picking it up into his hands and turning around to face her. Larsine was still stumbling, but he locked his gaze upon her head, desperate to end this now!

So...

POW!!!

Shells of Dragonsbane splintered through the air, slamming into Larsine's head with enough force to knock her back against the mirror once again. Glass broke around her body, but this time when she fell back, she no longer moved. A whimpering cry of pain slipped out of the Violet Wyvern's body, soon replaced with silence.

The young earl looked down, grabbing the shells that had fallen from his grasp to both reload is shotgun, then stuff the extra ones away. But his grasp was slippery due to all the sweat, and all the blood. Blood that just... kept coming. Larsine's blood, Mylene's, Adeline's, Emiline's, and yes, even his own. Their blood was on his hands, mixing together in this chocking liquid that stuffed his nose with a combination of rancid smells. He dropped to his knees from it all, more tears streaming from his face as the desperate need to hurl once again began to rise from his throat.

But it never came, and after a few moments of wailing, he--

“NNNNHAAAARRRRRLLLLLLL!!!”

Selene was still flying around, stalking the air and kicking Sebastian back into gear. He was on ground floor but still on the eastern wing, so it would take him a bit to get to the front gates. If he just rushed in a straight line, he could get there directly, but that would take him through the courtyard, and he wasn't ready for that quite yet. Still, he pushed on, exiting the dance studio back out into the halls as he poured more rubbing alcohol upon the cut in his hand.

Still burns... nmmm...! Keep going!

He had taken a lot of hits during this little escapade, and it showed on his hands and arms as he stumbled out into the hall. Gazing down to the coils on his limbs, he wondered just how much more bruises existed beneath his jacket and shirt. And yet he still felt so far away from the exit, and with seemingly no end in sight. Things weren't getting easier; they were getting harder and harder!

But he pushed on, walking down the hall immediately in front of him. While the dance studio was new to him, this side of the hall was not. Directly in front of him laid the estate's library; he'd be entering from the western side as oppose to the eastern side like usual. He could cut through it, which would significantly reduce the time spent traversing these halls. However, doing that would mean traveling through Faline's domain, and with how unfortunate his day had been so far, he knew he'd run into her. So he should just round the corner and leave, right? Weeeelllll...

THUNK!... THUNK!...

The sound of footsteps sent Sebastian hiding behind a nearby table whilst gazing over its edge to where the noise came from. It did not take long for him to notice the powerful and large frame of a Pink Dragon walking past in the hall he was going to take. It was so far away he could not get a good enough view of it, but the young earl still knew better than to take a hall it was patrolling.

So he shifted his gaze back to the library, gritting his teeth as he palmed at its knob. Slowly turning it, the young earl prayed no one would hear the door open as he slipped through. And from the looks of things, yes, no one heard him indeed...

But he heard something else...

SSSSSSssssssSSSSSSssssssssSSSSSSSSsssssssSSSSSSSsssSSSsssSSssssSSSSSSSssssssSSSS!!!

A being, slithering and sliding along the floor, its mass great enough to give Sebastian an idea of its weight from sound alone. Even the floor rumbled slightly beneath its snake-like movements, further causing Sebastian's heart to audibly thump within his chest. He palmed it gently as he made his way over towards the closest bookcase, hiding himself away against it as he peered over its edge.

He saw a brown tail slithering over a corner, one with a white pincer attached to it. However, it was the size of this being that took Sebastian aback, for it was far, far larger than any of the dragon's thus far. But he wasn't completely sure, so he hid himself away between book pews, pulling out a few tomes so he could gaze through its gaps.

On the other end, he saw even more of the brown, scaly hide of the creature that patrolled the library, but the shear size of this creature made it impossible for him to see all of it. Just how large was this creature? Sebastian stuffed such thoughts aside however, instead scurrying down towards the opposing edge of the bookcase to hopefully avoid.

From bookcase to bookcase, furniture to furniture, Sebastian darted about as silently as he could, being sure to avoid the looming, brown shadow of the slithering reptile in the library. Before he knew it, the western exit sat before him, completely undisturbed! He could feel his heart pounding even harder against his chest, this time with joy as oppose to incredible fear!

He rushed for it quickly, throwing caution to the wind as he reached his hand out for the knob before him. But just as he touched it, he felt a cold chill run up his spine, for a shadow had descended upon him. He stood there, pinned in place with eyes wide for he knew he had failed. He ran too quickly and made too much noise; he should have been quieter. Now, she had him in her sights.

His head turned slowly as if worked on a crank, twitching with fear as he looked in the shadow's direction. His eyes met a being, coiled around one of the many pillars in the library, its massive size enough to make his mouth grow wide. A brown serpent, lacking any sort of limbs; no hands, no arms, no legs, no nothing. Just a snake-like body, thick and bulky, with armored scales stronger than a tank. Its face was sharp, its horns skinny and white like spears, auburn hair flowing from its head, and its brown eyes gave a sinister glow as it looked at him.

But then its mouth opened, and an earth-shattering roar struck the air.

“FFFUUUUUUUURRAAAAAAAAWWWWWWHHHH!!!”

Like her siblings before, Faline's roar was strong enough to produce a shockwave, knocking Sebastian back despite the distance. He was quick to scramble back on his feet however, and dove forward just in the nick of time to dodge--

KRAASHH!!!

Faline's very own tackle.

Despite how large her body was, the Brown Wyrm moved with such speed and precision. She struck the ground where he once was, shaking and uprooting wood from below. But the young earl continued scurrying away, stuffing himself behind bookcases as he readied his shotgun. With a swing of her tail however, Faline caused the bookcase to fall over, nearly crushing Sebastian who continued running. Once again he dove out of the way of the collapsing bookcase, which slammed into another, which slammed into another, so on and so forth until they all collapsed like dominoes. The floor was littered with books and wood now, while Faline slithered forward to perch herself atop it all.

“FUUURRRAAAWWWWWWHHHH!!!”

The earth shook from her roar, but Sebastian wasn't knocked over this time. Instead he bolted for the staircase behind him, rushing up to the second floor of the library to hopefully hid among the undisturbed bookcases above. Faline chased him however, quickly slithering up a pillar before darting into the mess of books and pews. Her dash once again shattered the cases into pieces, but in the madness, Sebastian suddenly vanished from view.

Slithering above as she knocked over bookcases with indifference, the Brown Wyrm scanned the area for her Master. Such small prey; he easily hid among the larger objects around them. Unfortunately for him, some modicum of Faline's intelligence remained, and she began casually knocking aside random objects to reduce his number of hiding spots. However, she still couldn't find him, causing her to use that pincer on her tail to start flinging objects around, clearing the space before her until--

“Fgauh!?”

“FURRRRAWWWWW!!!”

Found him, hiding beneath a small gap created by an overturned bookcase. Sebastian's eyes widened as he came face to face with Faline again, and he dove to start running way... but the Brown Wyrm launched her tail forward, gripping his ankle with her pincers.

And gripping hard...

“Nnggghhaaaah!?”

Wailing out in pain, Sebastian was quickly dragged about by the Brown Wyrm above him, his body striking books, the rug, random furniture; everything! But even through the pain, Sebastian gritted his teeth and gripped his shotgun tight, taking aim with Faline's tail, and--

POW!!!

“FURRRAAH!?”

With one blast, her pincer released him, dropping Sebastian as Faline quickly slithered away. Despite her body being more bulky than a tank, Dragonsbane worked like against her nonetheless, breaking scales and drawing blood. The Brown Wyrm even brought her tail over, checking her wound before returning her enraged gazed back towards Sebastian. Her mouth split open and she roared, but with his shotgun locked upon her once again, Sebastian--

POW!!!

THWWAAAK!!!

“FUURRRAWWH!?”

The blow struck her head, making her recoil like she'd been punched. Faline shook it off quickly, but blood was streaming down the left side of her face. Brown eyes glowing once again, the Brown Wyrm dove for her Master, but just in time he leaped out of the way. But Faline kept going, striking the banister of the second floor with so much force, she launched herself over its edge and collapsed back upon the first floor.

She recovered quickly, slithering and sliding around before perching herself once again upon the mess below. Her body was coiled like a snake ready to strike, and when her mouth opened wide to give her roar again, the room shook. Amid that shaking, Sebastian heard clanking, his eyes attracted to the ceiling where he saw the library's chandelier looming over head, shaking from Faline's roar. It already looked to be hanging on nothing more than a thread due to the room's constant shaking, so Sebastian wondered if he could...

Yes, he could!

With Faline roaring still in a show of her superior might, Sebastian pulled his Mauser out of his jacket. It may not do much against the maids, but against the chandelier, all he needed was one good shot and--

POW! POW!

His bullets struck their target, tearing through the thin wires that held the chandelier up. Now weakened to the point that it could no longer support itself, the glorious crown of lights fell over, slamming right upon Faline's head.

KKKRRRAAAAAAASSSHHHH!!!

Glass sprinkled about, while Sebastian gazed over to the mangled mess of steel that fell upon the Brown Wyrm's head. But even after taking a shotgun blast to the face and a chandelier dropped upon her, Faline continued moving, and worse yet, continued rising up. He could hear her audibly snarling at him, her rage and frustrations building higher and higher. Looking around, Sebastian wondered what he could do to finally put her down.

His eyes fell on another bookcase, one hanging precariously close to the edge following Faline's earlier tirade. If he just pushed it over, it would perfectly fall right over atop her. So he did so, darting for the bookcase, he pressed his shoulder up to it, and--

“HRRRRGGHHHH!!!”

It was heavy, but after a hard enough push, gravity took over and the bookcase fell all the way over towards Faline's head. She looked up...

THOOOOOMMMM!!!

This time, Sebastian heard no roars, no movement, no nothing. And as he looked over the edge of the library's second floor, he saw that Faline was completely immobile. Unlike with Larsine, this did not appear to be a ruse; the Brown Wyrm was out like a light.

Slowly he made his way back downstairs, blood still pumping as he made sure Faline was unconscious. Once he confirmed this with himself, its like a switch was turned in his body. Pain rushed him all at once, dropping Sebastian upon his knees as he wailed in pain. Being swatted and knocked around constantly, taking shockwaves that beat him back, dragged against the floor like an object; Sebastian had taken a great deal of abuse from all of this. And when he looked down, he saw blood streaming from his clamped ankle. It too made him double over in pain, falling upon his side as he gripped his leg to try and stymie the pain.

Burning alcohol, check! Nnnngghhh! Followed by coils that wrap around and around and around and around. These skills he learned and honed thanks to their guiding hand, he was now using against him. He just... couldn't escape the irony of the situation.

And once again, he looked over his shoulder, staring at Faline's body as she laid there, immobile. He reached out for her, thought about touching her, thought about checking to see if she was okay, but...

Thump...

The slight movement of her beating heart caused him to think against this. Looking away, Sebastian's eyes fell upon the door. Some debris was in the way, but not enough to stop him. Staggering over towards it, he opened the door up and slipped back into the halls.

The halls felt... colder now. Or maybe that's because of all the injuries he's taken, steadily taking hold over his body. He ignored it and pushed on however, walking through the hall as he once again started his singular trek towards the estate's exit.

For minutes, the halls of the estate were silent and empty; a nice change of pace from the onslaught of dragons he's taken thus far. But others were still out there; he could still hear Selene flying and roaring outside, not to mention the various pounding and footsteps of others. Rodeline was still out there, and Mylene too only escaped; she could become a threat again as well. He hoped Nadine was still in her kitchen, which was nowhere along his path, and Carmeline was in the courtyard, which he had no plans to go through unless absolutely necessary. There was also the chance that Emiline would descend down stairs to hound him again, which wouldn't be good considering how dangerous she was.

And that's not even getting into Igrene and Katherine. They could retain their mental capacity following Zeit's moon, right? So why hadn't they appeared yet? That... did not bode well for things...

If only he could get the drachenmagd to fight among one another, like Emiline and Adeline. But they seemed to be so perfectly spread apart that this was seemingly impossible. But if the moment does present itself, he was going to take it.

For now, he found his footsteps taking him to the estate's massive gym, entering inside so he could find a place to sit. Resting beside a weightlifting machine, the young earl took in a deep breath as he casually reloaded his shotgun.

The cold chill running down his spine made him long for a blanket, his bed, a burning fireplace, Selene's naked body, and a nice, long rest. He even imagined it as his eyes closed, a warm smile spreading upon his lips. His Chamber Maid would reach out for him with a smile on her lips as her eyes closed too, cradling his head against her perfectly busty bosom. And he'd sleep there like a child, snuggled in her loving hold as he drifted off to lalaland.

But...

Skkkkkkkkssssshhhhh!

Sebastian's heard shifting... water?

It snapped him from his thoughts and drew his gaze up, staring across the room towards the Olympic-sized pool attached to the gym. And in the calm, cool waters, he saw the dorsal fins of a serpent sliding through it, before descending down. His eyes wide, Sebastian found his voice getting dry in his throat with realization.

What was... no! Okay, time to recover over; he needed to bolt for the exit!

Getting back up to his feet, Sebastian ran for the exit at the northern end of the gym, needing to slip through it so he could return to the halls. But the waters of the pool crested again, the serpentine creature within slowly starting to rise up. Before the young earl could reach the door, a looming shadow towered over his body once gain.

Dammit.

Dammit!

DAMMIT!!!

Sebastian looked over his shoulder, stopping dead in his tracks as the beast above locked its eyes upon him. Once again, it was a serpentine creature, lacking any limbs whatsoever. Its body was massive and thick, and it had white sparky, white dorsal fins running down its spine. Its face was sharp, and the curved back blue and white horns on its head fitted it like a crown. When the creature shuddered, water cascaded down its body in a brilliant and beautiful show of majesty. Yet the fear he felt was strong all the same.

Nadine opened her mouth...

“HOOOOOOORRRRRAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHH!!!”

There was so much strength in her roar, the glass separating the gym from the pool was instantly shattered, sprinkling glass everywhere. Sebastian was spared due to the distance, but the Blue Wyrm was not finished yet. She quickly dove in, further breaking the barriers between the two rooms as Sebastian leaped clear of her strike. Going forward still, Nadine bashed against the exit, breaking it apart in such a way that escape through it would be impossible!

Not that Sebastian noticed as he scrambled away from her, looking for an escape or something to help him get out of this situation. His feet brought him to the track field, while Nadine slithered through the gym itself, swatting away various objects with her massive body. His eyes locked ahead, Sebastian knew he could take the entrance/exit to the track field itself, which would take him back to the hall. Still a good cut from his usual path, but...

FWOOOSH!!!

Despite her monstrous size, Nadine's speed was matched by none, and she easily cut her Master off by blocking his exit. He kidded to a halt, fell back on his butt, then quickly transitioned from a crawl to a full on sprint in the opposite direction of the Blue Wyrm. She roared back in response, then slithered in chase of her Master, forcing him into the direction of...

The pool...

“Oh shi--”

FWOOOOSH!!!

Once again Nadine overtook him, this time leaping clear over his head despite her massive size. Slamming into the pool, she tossed water sky high in her wake with enough force that it slapped and pushed Sebastian back. Completely drenched in the waters of his tub, Sebastian shivered and pulled back, once again trying to escape the Blue Wyrm.

But she was in her element now; he was in her domain.

SPLASH!!!

Once again water was tossed high, but this time it masked the movements of a vicious and powerful being. Before Sebastian knew it, Nadine's tail had wrapped around his waist, jerking him back into the tub. In an instant he went below water, kicking and thrashing bout in an attempt to free himself.

But Nadine was as strong as she was large, and she clamped upon him, rending air from his lungs. While swimming and breathing techniques were apart of his training curriculum under Emiline and Carmeline's watchful eye, this was not.

Further and further under water Sebastian was dragged, with Nadine heading towards the deep end of the pool. Light seemed to die here, and Sebastian's eyes began closing as breathing became even harder. But in his desperation, he swung over his shotgun, jamming it right in the coils wrapped around him.

THWWMM...!

The sound was muted by the water, but the power was not.

“HRRRKKGHH!?”

Nadine released her hold upon Sebastian, allowing him to swim back up to the pool's surface as quickly as he could. When he arrived, blood began pool around him; Nadine's blood having mixed with the pool water. He didn't have time to focus on this however, as he quickly began swimming for the pool's edge. But when he arrived, the water broke again as Nadine rose up behind him.

“HOOOORRRAAAAAAAAAHHH!!!” she roared, shaking the room before diving in head first.

Sebastian quickly dove down into the water, dodging Nadine's strike. But she kept going, slamming against the pools edge with enough force to break its concrete. Debris fell into the water, while he swam away, putting distance between himself and the Blue Wyrm. But she dove down, the water being her element. Eyes wide, she dashed for her Master, her mouth opening to swallow him in one bite! Seeing all those rows of sharp, shark-like teeth, Sebastian felt his heart drop...

But then he pointed his gun forward...

THWWMM...!

“HRRRKGGGHHH!?”

His blast landed, jerking Nadine back as she wheeled out of the water. To be shot in the mouth in such a way drew nothing but an endless river of gooey, syrupy blood that streamed from her jaw and into the pool. Even with her dragonian visage, the painful expression she showed made Sebastian's heart sink even further. She appeared confused, dislodged teeth even fell from her jaw, and when her mouth opened to roar...

“Hooooorrrrrrhhaaaooaaarhh!?”

It was weak and pathetic.

But even after all of that, Nadine locked her eyes upon Sebastian. Her expression shifted again, from pained to anger! Even the blue glow of her eyes seemed to storm with a fury all its own. Ducking her head down to the surface of the pool, the Blue Wyrm swam forward with her mouth opened wide. Once again she aimed for the swallow, and once again Sebastian aimed forward.

POW!!!

This time the blast didn't hit her mouth. This time the blast slammed in the middle of her head; right between her horns. The blow was strong enough to bash Nadine's head back... and leave her immobile. She sank into the pool around them, oozing more blood that dies the once pristine waters nothing but red. Soon, she fell so deep and the waters turned so red, that it was impossible to see her.

Swimming back to the pool's edge, Sebastian pulled himself out, his body now drenched with pool water and Nadine's blood. It's one thing to have just some blood on him... it's something else entirely to be covered in it! The cold pool water mixed with warm blood, and all of it stained his clothes down to the skin beneath.

Sebastian shivered, them screamed, then fell to his knees as he huddled into a ball. Even if he did survive this – which was looking increasingly difficult mind you – he'd probably be left with mental scars from this night for the rest of his life.

So he cried, his hand rubbing against his face to clean some blood and tears. But as it went on, that crying shifted into a dry, pathetic laugh. This was... this was just too much. This was just...

It's crazy, ya'know?

“I can't keep this up anymore,” Sebastian exclaimed as he got to his feet, “It's... too much...”

Reloading his shotgun, he peered towards the gym once again. It was a mess, as if the storm outside came inside. More importantly – and more unfortunate – the exits were completely ruined by Nadine. He couldn't go through them, meaning his only escape...

Would be the courtyard...

Walking towards the glass windows that separate the gym pool from the courtyard, Sebastian laid his hand upon it as it was battered down by wind and rain. The storm was furious, and when he looked up, the red moon he created continued hovering above, just barely poking in through the vicious clouds. The wind was strong, the rain was relentless, and visibility was next to impossible. Bushes wavered about, and he even saw some wayward debris being flung through the air.

And that's not even getting into Carmeline, who he could not see.

Going through the courtyard was equal to suicide. Even if the Groundskeeper did not find him, the storm may very well kill him regardless! But he didn't need to navigate the courtyard; he just needed to make a single, straight shot towards the ballroom across from where he was. If he made it there, he'd significantly cut down on the time he wasted in the gym.

It was dangerous, crazy, and insane! But... Sebastian made way for the exit to the courtyard. Perhaps he was just that crazy, perhaps he was that desperate, maybe the battles thus far had taken a toll on his mind, or maybe he'd taken a blow to the head that made this seem intelligent. Regardless, Sebastian's hand fell on the switch to the courtyard, pulling it open where--

FWOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!

“GAAAH!?”

The wind was far, far stronger than he expected, blowing the door open immediately. The rain too pelted his flesh like tiny pebbles, garnering a frustrated growl from the young earl. But the heat, the heat! It was by far the worse, making sweat appear upon Sebastian's brow as he pushed against it.

And push against it he did, finding his footing as he marched out into the intense storm outside. The storms he experienced before in Schonheit were nothing compared to this. Every storm he's ever experienced in life was nothing compared to this.

But he forced himself through, his teeth gritted and his arm pulled up high to block the wind and rain as best he could. In the distance he saw nothing but madness; a swirling visage of gray and rain, mixed with the greens of the courtyard's vegetation. He could barely see a few feet in front of him, let alone the other side of the building. But he knew it was there; if he just kept forward, he'd be able to see the rounded surface of the ballroom's walls.

He hoped...

“GEEEEERRRRRAAAAAAARRRRLLLL!!!”

Of course, she was here... somewhere. The vicious wyrm who toiled the fields in and around the Faust Estate; endlessly, day in, and day out. The storm around them blocked any view of her, and he couldn't hear her slithering movements either thanks to the whipping wind in his ears. He swore he saw some shaded image of her daunting silhouette, either thanks to a flash of lightning, or the red moon overhead, but he wasn't completely sure. Yet he felt her presence, everywhere, all at once. Her roars were suddenly dead, which did not leave Sebastian feeling much better.

Rushing for a nearby gazebo, the young earl stuffed himself beneath it for a brief reprise against the wind and rain. He gripped one of its support beams, leaning against it whilst wiping some rain from his face as best he could. He could barely hear his own panting against the storm he was caught in, yet he still heard the slight grumbling of a beast outside. It was low... but it was powerful...

“GRRRRRRRRRRRGGGHHHH...!”

Immediately he ducked down, hiding himself against one of the benches in the gazebo as he readied his shotgun. His other hand fell on his mouth, covering it so his powerful panting could not be heard. But he did hear...

SSSSSSSSssssssssssssSSSSSSSSSSSsssssssssssSSSSSSSSSSSSssssssss...!

She was close. Incredibly close.

Pulling his head up slowly to check his surroundings, Sebastian at first saw nothing... only for a flash of lightning to illuminate the courtyard. Against the vicious gray storm, he finally saw the thick shadow of a vicious being; long, serpentine, and no arms or legs to speak of. It came in closer, unveiling its... lovely collection of orange scales, ones that looked like the rays of morning light. Even with the rain streaking down its body, the creature's radiant body continued to glow unimpeded. It had a skinny tail with a furred tip like a cow, and from its head jutted out two ebony horns like those of a bull. Its face was flat, giving it an armored appearance. And along with its sharp, glowing, orange eyes, you knew that no mere mortal weapon could ever hope to bring harm to such a titanic being.

Carmeline slithered around and around the gazebo, like a lion stalking its prey. He was forced to stay put, hiding himself beneath the bench in fear that the Orange Wyrm had seen him. If so, why had she not stricken yet? Was she just playing with him?

Worse still, Carmeline's size was massive. She was always sliding around the gazebo, leaving no space for him to sneak past her. He shouldn't have come to the gazebo. Hell, he shouldn't have even come out to the courtyard. He should have just rushed through the walls and took his chances there. Now he was stuck with the largest and most powerful of all the drachenmagd, trapped in this gazebo with the storm roaring around them. Yes, he had his shotgun loaded with Dragonsbane, but it suddenly felt useless against such impossible odds.

But Carmeline was affected by it before, right? In fact, she was the only drachenmagd shot when testing Dragonsbane. If it inflicted pain on her back in the 40s, it would do the same today. Right?

Haah...

He needed an escape from this situation. Even if he did fend her off with his shotgun, he didn't want to. Harming his maids was already damaging to his psyche, but physically, he couldn't take much more abuse. The cuts, the blows, the bleeding; his body was weakening with every passing second. He just wanted a little bit of time to collect himself without risking another attack by a maid.

But this evening would give him no quarter... and no longer would Carmeline.

“GRRRRRRRRGGGGHHHH...!”

“Huh... oh no...”

Seems his fears were realized; the Orange Wyrm was just toying with him.

He brought his gaze up, brown eyes meeting orange eyes as the vicious dragoness pulled herself back. He swore he saw a smile adorn those scaly lips of hers, but before he could even scream...

THRAASHHH!!!

“GAAH!?”

Carmeline struck, slamming her body against the roof of the gazebo with so much force, she shattered it into pieces and sent it flying. Sebastian was knocked back by the force, his body contorting painfully on the ground as he struggled to catch his breath. But the daunting wyrm continued, sliding towards Sebastian where she loomed over his body with her powerful body. He struggled to his feet, his hand palming his chest while his eyes quickly searched for some escape to this madness. And he found it right in front of him; the courtyard's hedge maze. If he rushed for it, he could hide away from her and hopefully escape to the ballroom. But he'd still need to get Carmeline off of his back.

So he rolled over, playing right into the Orange Wyrm's hand. Whenever she got going, she'd sometimes lose sight of what was at play at the moment. More than once Sebastian had taken Carmeline by surprise in their wrestling by taking advantage of her tendency to overlook things. Even as a wyrm this was true, for the Groundskeeper continued to toy with her prey as she leaned her head in. Breathing in over him, she blasted Sebastian with a hot gust of her freshly-cut scent.

Oh... a moment of familiarity before...

POW!!!

“GGGRRAAAAHH!?”

Sebastian jerked up, pulling the trigger of his shotgun and launching a blast of Dragonsbane straight into her face. The blow knocked her back, forcing Carmeline to retreat momentarily while Sebastian got to his feet. While he bolted for the hedge maze, the Orange Wyrm slid her tail over to check her wound. She was shot – it drew blood too – but unlike her sisters, this feeling of pain was incredibly dulled.

Carmeline was far stronger than that... and far angrier...

“GGGRRRAAAAAAARRRRLLLL!!!”

The Orange Wyrm dove for her Master, who just in time slipped into the hedge maze himself. Using her superior size and strength, she easily barreled through all the shrubbery, but did not discover Sebastian when she did so. Annoyed, Carmeline began swatting away more and more of the shrubbery, ruining the hedge maze as she searched for her young earl. But every time she tore through the area, she saw nothing on the other end.

Fine then... she'll force him out!

All that green, so much foliage, so much... flammable materials. What? Did Sebastian forget the drachenmagd were dragons? She may lack limbs and wings, but her abilities to spew flames was all the same. So Carmeline arched up, her chest billowed, and--

“GRRAAAAAAAAAAWWWWWWWW!!!”

From her mouth spilled a river of flames that ignited the hedge maze around them, She then rose up as high as she could on her thick body, towering over the entire labyrinth in search of her Master. Waiting... listening... watching... until...

“Ackh! Haaack! Aaach!?”

Sebastian appeared, pulling away from fire as smog got caught in his throat. It choked him, forcing the young earl to reveal himself before the Orange Wyrm. Her prey located, Carmeline dove in, swatting away the flaming bushes for they did nothing to her body. She came at him with so much speed, her body slammed into him like a truck, knocking Sebastian atop her as she broke fee of the burning hedge maze. He fell off of her when she came to halt, laying out on the ground before her gaze and fee to whatever sinister assault she could think of.

So what did Carmeline do? Well, she swung her tail over, dropping it right on Sebastian's chest to pin him to the ground. Groaning out in pain as the pressure on his body began increasing with every passing second, the young earl scrambled for whatever escape he could muster. But his shotgun was just out of reach; having been knocked from his grasp by Carmeline's rush. He did have his Mauser on him, but what good would that do without Dragonsbane? Even if he shot her eye, it would only amount to a slight irritation for the Orange Wyrm!

Nevertheless, he desperately pulled it out, and just as desperately fired at Carmeline's head. Each bullet struck her, and each bullet did nothing. If anything, having him struggle beneath her seemed to bring the Orange Wyrm some sort of sadistic pleasure. She enjoyed watching him suffer, so she made sure to squeeze juuuuust hard enough that she wouldn't kill him outright. In return, it gave Sebastian just enough time to... think.

Was this how he was going to meet his end? Crushed to death by Carmeline? His lovely, lovely Carmeline? How much he adored wrestling her, and no, not just because it usually ended in sex. Feeling her strong and burly body made her feel dainty in return, a feeling that was... oddly pleasant. He loved her smile too, how loud her voice was, and the conflicting personalities she and Emiline had when working out.

And now that being whom he loved so dearly was aiming to take his life.

No! He refused! So long as he could move and breathe, he wouldn't let himself die that easily. But how was he going to work his way out of here? How was he going to escape this?

“NNNHAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRLLLL!!!”

A roar, followed by a flash of lightning and the boom of thunder. All brought Sebastian's gaze skyward, watching as a certain serpentine being could be seen writhing about within the heavens above. Right, his plan from before; maybe he could get them to fight among one another! He just needed to get her down here!

Slowly Sebastian brought his Mauser up, taking aim not at Carmeline, but at the vicious being flying above the estate. And he pulled the trigger.

POW!

It was the last bullet in his Mauser's chamber; his last chance at freedom.

The bullet flew and flew and flew and flew and flew and--

“NNHAAARRR-UR!?”

The writhing shadow of the Black Dragon that flew around the estate, suddenly came to a halt. Then it turned, glowing purple eyes piercing the gray storm around them as it locked its gaze not upon Sebastian, but upon the large Orange Wyrm holding him down. Its target locked, it dove down at insane speeds, with Carmeline being completely unaware of her existence. That is until--

WHAM!!!

“GRRAAAH!?”

The Black Dragon tackled the Orange Wyrm down, the two quickly falling over into the storm and out of view. Struggling to his elbows, Sebastian watched as their dancing shadows began wrapping around one another in a savage battle. Thanks to the storm, he could not see well enough to know how their fight was going. Who was holding who down, who had who pinned? Sebastian didn't know, nor did he want to stick around and see a victor, so he quickly got to his feet, scooped up his shotgun, and bolted for the ballroom he knew was in the distance.

When he arrived, he struggled for a few moments, fighting with the door's knobs while his drachenmagd's battle continued growing more furious. Their roars shook the air around them, with Sebastian finally pushing open the door so he could slip through. He used just as much of his strength to close the door behind him, where he fell down to his butt in pain.

“AAAAAhhhhhaaaaaahhhh! Ggaaahhh! Aaaaaahhhaahahhaa...!!!”

His body hurt. His body really hurt! Pain rumbled through every inch of his being; from his toes to his fingers to his back to his head to his everywhere! And now, that frigid cold touch continued soaking its way into his bones, blood mixing with sweat, mixing with rain to make him feel as if he was in the middle of the arctic. So he sat there, shivering against the doorway as the sounds of the storm kept rumbling into his ears.

As well as the sound of breathing.

Shaking his head, Sebastian looked up to the ballroom before him. It was a grand and opulent place much like the rest of the estate, with arched walls and gold and white color scheme. But since he's thrown a grand total of zero parties since his arrival, the amazing ballroom went unused. So all the tables still had covers on them, and the stage itself had its curtains closed. And it was that stage where Sebastian heard the breathing come from.

Groaning in disbelief, the young earl reached his hand into his jacket to pull out a bottle of painkillers which he procured from Rodeline's nursing office. It was bent and out of shape from all the abuse he suffered, but the pills inside were still good. He took three, hoping they'd numb the pain... or at least take him to dreamland so he could ignore this.

But there was no ignoring this, and he kept pushing himself ahead. Someone was here, forcing Sebastian to get back upon his feet with his shotgun in hand. Slowly he stalked over towards the ballroom's stage, glaring at it as its curtains rumbled. They swayed in tune with the breathing of the beast on stage, its cadence familiar to the young earl. Even as a giant dragon, he could pick her voice out of a line up.

Pink eyes glowed from behind the curtains, locked upon Sebastian's face and making him freeze up. She had been stalking him secretly since he left his bedroom, hadn't she? Was this always her plan? Watching as he got thrashed and knocked about, weakening him? Just waiting for the opportune time to strike?

But aside from walking backwards, what could Sebastian really do? He was out here in this open space, his body weak from the abuse he's suffered thus far, not to mention exhausted, and now he had another dragon to contend with? A dragon who was just standing there behind the curtains, ominously watching him with pink eyes softly glowing. Despair appeared on his face, thinking about how hopeless this all appeared to be, while the creature watching him slowly stepped forward.

The curtains parted, revealing a great pink dragon in all of its glory. It stood on its hind legs, its body smoother compared to Emiline, but no less imposing and dangerous. Its white and pink coloration gave it a sense of warmth that made one want to approach it, but the glow of its pink eyes said otherwise. Its tail was thick as it stroked through the air, its horn were like rams in how they curled back, and its impressive wings were spread out as if to show how mighty a creature it was. All as it stood there, silent with its head turned up and its gaze locked upon the young earl before him.

And he cried out-

“Rodeline, pleasseeee...! I just... it's... I can't take it!”

Did she understand his pleas? Did some semblance of her normal self exist beneath this dragonian visage.

“Uurrrrrrrrrrmmmuuuuuuuu-UUUURRRRAAAAAAAWWWW!!!”

No...

Rodeline's roar shook the ballroom, her head turned up, her arms spread out, and her wings flapping viciously. The shockwave she produced was not only strong enough to push Sebastian back, but also blew away the tables within the ballroom! He came skidding to a halt, his back striking the wall while the Pink Dragon above leaped from the stage and down upon the floor.

Her silver gleaming talons extended out from her hands, while the sweet scent of cinnamon continued to fill the air. Rodeline stepped forward and raised her claw, but Sebastian raised his shotgun in retaliation, taking aim and-

POW!!!

Missing...

Rodeline ducked down and to the left, dodging his blast of Dragonsbane with far greater speed than any of her sisters. It took him aback, and before he knew it, her hand extended towards him as if made of elastic. Scooping him up, the young earl was pushed straight into a wall where he was nearly flattened. Like Carmeline before, the Pink Dragon took her time to crash the young earl, giving him the chance to point his shotgun down, flick the lever, and--

POW!!!

“UURRRAAAH!?”

Being blasted at point-blank range by Dragonsbane, Rodeline quickly released her hold on Sebastian as blood was drawn from her wound. She even gripped her wound and wailed in pain, stopping only to snarl savagely while her pink eyes locked upon him. Sebastian had just recovered from being stricken, but Rodeline was already rushing towards him, head tucked down for a bone-breaking headbutt. He pulled up, saw it coming, and just in the nick of time leaped out of the way!

WHAM!!!

The room shook as Rodeline struck the wall, but she wasn't pained in the slightest. Turning back around to face her Master, the Pink Dragon gave yet another roar a her elastic take slithered around. With greater dexterous movements, she wrapped Sebastian around before lifting him up, making him gasp as he suddenly came face to face with his Pink Dragon.

Which is right where he wanted to be.

POW!!!

“UURRRRGHKH!?”

Another point-blank blast, right into Rodeline's face. The shells punched her, causing her tail to uncoil and release him, which dropped Sebastian down to the ground. Meanwhile she continued to recoil, her hands falling on her face as blood permeated from its surface.

But Sebastian was not done yet. With Rodeline on the defense, he continued his assault as he quickly got to his feet. Readying his shotgun in hand, he took aim with her body and--

POW!!!

“URRRKGH!?”

The blast struck her chest, making Rodeline stumble back. But once more, Sebastian continued, raising his shotgun and--

CHA-CHUNK!

POW!!!

“UMRRAAAH!?”

She slammed into some tables, nearly tripping over while her Master stepped towards her again. And with another pump of his shotgun...

CHA-CHUNK!

POW!!!

“URRRMMAAAAHH!?”

Again...

CHA-CHUNK!

POW!!!

“URRMMGRRAAAH!?”

Again!

CHA-CHUNK!

POW!!!

“UUUURRRRAAAAAAWWW!?!?”

AGAIN!!!

CHA-CHUNK!

POW!!!

That last blast struck Rodeline across the face; the final shot in her Master's vicious assault. It knocked her into the wall, shattering glass behind her as she tripped over a table, falling down and over as blood streaked down her body. Amid his blood lust, Sebastian lost his mind briefly, just firing over and over again in an attempt to make the Pink Dragon submit. And submit she did, sitting there in a weakened state, immobile as mournful wails and whimpers escaped her scaly lips.

Gun smoke dancing form the barrel of his shotgun, Sebastian lowered his weapon as he realized what he'd done. Rodeline's body was riddled with injuries as he emptied every shell he had in his shotgun upon her, and it showed as so much blood oozed down her form. The odor cut through the smell of cinnamon, eventually mixing with it to create something horrendous. Sebastian bit his bottom lip, then stepped forward... which caused Rodeline to reach up for him.

His brown eyes met her pink ones, and he swore he saw a... forlorn expression brimming from beneath. But Sebastian stepped back, distrustful of the Pink Dragon, and making her hand drop down, followed by her head. And soon after that...

Silence...

Reaching his hand into his pocket, Sebastian pulled out shells of Dragonsbane, loading them into his shotgun as he faced the exit to the ballroom. He could no longer move as well as he once did, limping now towards freedom as shell after shell slid into his weapon. Checking over however, he saw that his reserves were running low. He may not have enough to deal with any other drachenmagd he comes in contact with.

Assuming his body can even take more abuse. Assuming his mind can even take more abuse.

Staggering out into the halls, Sebastian's mind drifted off to another world, another time. Everything was going well until he found his father's diary. His life of... blissful ignorance was so sweet, so amazing. Filled with nothing but the love and adoration of his maids, and the paradise of the Faust Estate.

Where was that now? Where was his power? He was a weak, crumbling mess, while the maids he loved were all out to kill him. Many would say he's proven his own resilience in what he's accomplished thus far. Battling against eight vicious dragons, out-maneuvering and out-fighting them, taking hits but pushing on regardless; not many would deny his strength.

But Sebastian did not feel strong. He felt more lucky than he did strong, and even then, his luck seemed to work in funny ways. He'd best one of his maids, only to run into another one and get slapped around.

However... it's not physical strength that made him feel weak, but instead his mental fortitude. He was... incapable of separating the dragons as they were now, from the women that they once were. His plan worked – he'd reduced them to a mental state of being – but that did not make his escape any easier. There was no difference in shooting Emiline as Emiline, in comparison to shooting her as the Indigo Dragon. Their roars were monstrous yes, but he could still hear their voices ruminating from below. Whenever he shot them, he heard their pained cries, and it made him wonder what they were thinking. Something along the lines of...

Why is Master doing this to me?

And that made him want to puke. As if he wanted to cause them any pain, despite knowing their origins. He loved them too much, but he wasn't sure if that love was genuine or further manipulations. But even thinking about that didn't change his feelings towards them! It just made it... all so damn... confusing! And sickening!

Just keep pushing, Sebastian!

For minutes on end the young earl walked through the halls of his estate like a zombie. For a change, he heard no dragons, no screams, no thumping, no nothing save for the storm outside... and even that was subdued considerably. So for the most part, his only companion was the sound of his own heavy breathing and beating heart.

Well... that and the portraits around him.

Gazing up, Sebastian gazed up towards his surroundings, eyes falling on the hall of previous estate owners. From Heinrich all the way to Klaus, this hall was filled to the brim with glorious painted portraits of every earl in the estate's history. When one gazes upon these portraits, they notice something consistent among them all. That being the blonde woman in a red dress, always standing in the background, but ever present.

In each.

And every.

One.

Sebastian stopped at the last portrait... for there was nothing there. Just a golden frame with serpents etched into it, lacking any picture to actually hold. But there was a name on this plaque... his name.

Sebastian Alexander Faust

He pulled back defensively upon reading his name... and how they didn't even bother calling him 'Milieus'. No. The drachenmagd cared not about his Milieus blood, only about the Faust. Just thinking about that doubled his resolve; he needed to get out of here.

With a sudden spurt of energy he didn't know he had inside, Sebastian began jogging down the hall, freeing himself of his ancestors as he finally arrived at his destination; the estate's main lobby. Wide open and spacious, it had a spiraling staircase that not only lead up to the second floor of the estate, but the third and fourth floor as well.

He stared up at it all, holding himself close as he realized... this may be the last time he gazed upon the Faust Estate. This place had become his home for the past few months, yet he felt a deeper connection to it than the home he shared with his Aunt Rita and Uncle Jack. Beyond just the drachenmagd, this home held his family history as a Faust. Great men and women lived and died within these halls, and for a time, he was among them. He had his future filled with prospects of all the great things he could do as Earl of Faust, but now he was giving it all up.

No more studying with Faline, or working out with Emiline and Carmeline, no eating with Mylene, Faline and Larsine, no visits to Rodeline, no bathing with Selene, no sleeping with Adeline, no... no random but meaningful moments with Katherine and Igrene.

Igrene...

His head turned towards the front doors of the estate, his hand reaching into his jacket to procure the Serpent Key. It was quite literally his key to freedom, and he clutched it close before readying it for the door's keyhole. He took a step forward...

THOOM...!

A sinister crashing noise echoed from the distance. Followed by...

THOOM! THOOM! THOOM! THOOMTHOOMTHOOMTHOOMTHOOMTHOOM!!!

A vicious rampage slamming closer and closer and closer!

Sebastian turned his head slowly, gazing toward the second floor of the estate as objects came flying out from the hall above. Sebastian's eyes widened, his head turning to face the door as he suddenly bolted for it. He readied his key, but--

“NNNNHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRLLLLLLL!!!”

It was too late.

Sweat poured down Sebastian's head, his body shivering and teeth clattering as he turned his head over like a rusty gear. A shadow was looming over him, daunting and powerful, owned by a creature that's serpentine in body, but not exactly serpentine in species.

Its head was like that of a crocodile's, with piercing purple eyes that glowed like lights, and the ox-like horns with red tips. It was adorned in jet-black scales, though it had red highlights here and there, and its shape was incredibly long. But it was not a wyrm, for it had arms, nor was it a serpent, for it had legs. But its arms and legs weren't really like that of a reptile, but more akin to a birds... though its talons were no less sharp. Black hair streamed from its head and along its spine, stopping only just a few inches shy of its tail. Lastly, from its snout flowed these two, incredibly long whisker-like appendages that danced and flowed in the air like they were underwater.

Selene stood upon the second floor, her front legs resting upon its banister as her purple eyes locked down upon Sebastian's face. Gazing back, he could see injuries adorned her body due to her recent fight against Carmeline. But with her strong face, the Black Dragon slowly took to the skies, flying as if via some magical force, for she had no wings to flap. She just hovered there, whilst getting closer and closer and closer.

“Selene, plea--”

“NHHHHAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRLLL!!!”

Her roar pushed him back, giving her enough time to dart in at sonic speeds. Before Sebastian knew it, his collar had been grabbed by Selene's claws, pulling him up high. His feet left the ground as she flew up; one story, two stories, three stories, and going as they made way for the ceiling. A fall from this height would hurt... if it didn't kill him outright!

But with all of the adrenaline pumping through his veins, Sebastian ignored something so fatal to point his shotgun up. And then he just--

POW!!!

“NAAARRLL!?”

It shot into her hide, releasing her grip on her Master and dropping him down. He slipped and slapped against her body which broke his fall enough that when he hit the ground, it didn't hurt as much as he thought it would.

As... much... it still hurt!

“Hrrrghh... guh!?”

Rolling over on his back, the young earl gazed up towards Selene, who used her tentacles to check her newly gained wound. It burned, but not as much as her ever growing frustrations!

Snapping her purple eyes back upon Sebastian, the Black Dragon gave yet another earth-shaking roar, while he got onto his feet, fighting through the pain he felt. He couldn't sit there for too long, for Selene quickly flew towards him, cutting through the air in a savage tackle. But Sebastian leaped clear of her, rushing for the spiral staircase in front of him while she struck the ground.

But Selene recovered quickly, skittering on all fours as her long, serpentine body twisted to face the young earl. While he rushed up the stairs, she chased him, pounding through the lobby as her long body knocked random objects aside. She was quick to nip at his feet when she was only a foot away, but leaped clear just in time. Then he turned around, flicked his shotgun's lever, and then--

POW!!!

But she twisted and turned around his shells, dodging it to his surprise. Then she darted past him, her feet clambering upon the banister beside them while her head swiveled around to face him. He was looking at her face, but her body was so long, she could use her tail to smack him along the back of his head. Which she did, striking and knocking him over upon his chest where he nearly lost his grip on his shotgun.

But Sebastian recovered quickly, pulling his shotgun close to his chest while Selene dove in to finally capture her pray. Like her serpentine sisters before, the Black Dragon wrapped herself around the young earl, chocking him in with her crushing body. But gritting his teeth and closing his eyes, Sebastian jammed the shotgun up against her body and,

POW!!!

“NAAAAWWW!?”

And then...

CHA-CHUNK!

POW!!!

“NAAAARRRRWWWW!?”

That last shot forced Selene off of him, dropping his body while she retreated down the hall she came in through. Resting on all fours with her chest to the ground, the Black Dragon once again used her whiskers to check her wounds, before pointing her purple eyes straight towards Sebastian's face. Roaring at him, he watched as blood and mucus came flowing from her jaw, making him realized how injured she was. Her battle with Carmeline left her weak, and taking his shells hadn't done her any favors either.

But Selene continued her approach, resilient against her pain, and desperate to put an end to the menace that was the young earl. She stepped forward, again, and again, her movements far slower than before, but no less dangerous. Sebastian readied his shotgun, waiting for the opportune time to fire, even if he didn't want to. He just wanted to end this as quickly as he could.

Selene leaped forward.

“NAAAAWHHH!!!”

Sebastian fired.

POW!!!

It struck her head, dead center. But Selene kept going, flying right past her Master where she slammed into the banister behind him, shattering it into pieces while he careened over the edge. All the way down to the first floor, where she--

THUD...!

“Haaah...”

Sebastian walked over towards the edge, gazing upon Selene's body as it remained mostly immobile. A few twitches here and there, but all of her injuries had finally taken its toll on her body; the Black Dragon could not keep going. Blood even pooled around her, the rancid odor filling the lobby in its entirely.

Coming downstairs, Sebastian stopped before Selene's head. She was whimpering, moaning, groaning, this pain surging through her every inch. Her purple eyes even wheeled around, locking onto Sebastian with this pathetic gaze. The desperate look she gave him, melted Sebastian's heart, making him drop down to his knees as he reached his hand out. Gently he stroked his hand along her head, blood tracking upon his palm. A painful reminder of the injuries he gave his maids.

“I am so... so... so sorry,” Sebastian apologized as he got back upon his feet, “Selene... I really am... I... I...”

He cut himself off as he turned to face the door, his hand reaching into his jacket to once again pull out the Serpent Key. With it in one hand and his shotgun in the other, Sebastian rushed for the door, unlocking and opening it up. He expected powerful winds and pelting rain. What he got was...

Red moon light...

Walking out through the front doors of his home, Sebastian felt not wind nor rain, and when he looked up, he saw that the clouds of this storm were swirling around his facsimile moon. He was in the eye of the storm now, freeing him of its relentless abuse save for the intense heat. A brief respite from all he had endured thus far, and a straight walk all the way up to the estate's gates.

He'd go through there and... well... really, he wasn't sure what he'd do next. Leaving the estate was simple, but where would he go? To one of Schonheit's hospitals for the medical attention he needs? And then what? He'll fly back to Riverside? But what's the chances of one of the drachenmagd – namely Igrene – merely leaving the estate and picking him up while he's in the hospital? He'll be too weak to fight her off, and he doubted anyone would help him. Was all of this pointless? Was he doomed to fail regardless?

No! He couldn't psyche himself out now! He'd made it this far, hadn't he? Once he gets through those gates, he'll figure out what to do next and this journey would finally come to an end. Just one... final... walk... towards the estate's gates.

But he loaded his shotgun; the last remaining shells he had on hand. The box was empty now; if he used what was remaining in his gun, Dragonsbane would be gone forever. For what was coming – for what was about to happen – he knew he'd need every shell within his gun.

There was a swishing; the flapping of wings up above. He stopped and pulled his head up, just in time to see a flash of red bolt right overhead. He turned around, looking at the manor and its open doors... then he slowly turned his head back to the front gates of the estate as a whole.

There was a woman standing there. Tall, resilient, strong, her hair long and blonde, her skin slightly dark, her eyes green, and body clad in a red dress. She looked... confused... scared... desperate... and with this fame brimming with a multitude of emotions that she could barely keep control of.

But she was stronger than that, even with the red moon swirling overhead. All the feelings she wished to unleash, were quickly swallowed down as her green eyes locked upon the face of her Master. And such a desperate, desperate look indeed.

“Sebastian... what have you done!?” Igrene shouted, causing him to point his shotgun at her in a defensive manner, shocking her.

“Please, Igrene... please move,” he begged, his tone just as desperate as hers.

But she didn't move, wouldn't move, even as she stood face to face with the gun in his hands. But unlike her wild, primal sisters who did not know better, Igrene knew what laid within that gun's chamber. The one thing made by the hands of man that is strong enough to harm human.

“Dragonsbane... that's how you did it,” Igrene claimed, making Sebastian stiffen up.

“Yes! I did! I had no choice!” he shouted, jolting her in place, “I had no choice, Igrene! I wasn't strong enough to say 'no'!”

“BUT YOU'RE STRONG ENOUGH TO SHOOT MY SISTERS!?” she shouted back, her expression intense to the point that it looked... crazed, “Master Sebastian, what has gotten into you!?”

“What has gotten into me!? Igrene, you know what has gotten into me!” he shouted back, “Or should I be more specific, and say what you will take from me! I'm not losing it, Igrene! I'm not losing my soul!”

“Master Sebastian, with all due respect, do you know how PATHETIC you were when you arrived!?” Igrene shouted, shaking the land around them, “You stuttered over yourself like an weak imbecile, using a vernacular and rhetoric far beneath your station as a Faust! And not just any Faust, but the Earl of Faust! You are a man who kings and queens bow to! Whose power reigns beyond the useless rabble that is this mortal realm! And for what!? The low price of something as insipid, as trite, and as completely worthless to a being like you! Your soul!”

“You... you honestly think that!? You honestly think my soul is worthless!?” he shouted back, but Igrene shook her head.

“No... not me... not my sisters... not my mother,” she answered, “We think it is like the rest of your family; a beautiful and amazing thing. Far more brilliant than you could ever understand,” she took a step forward, “Master Sebastian. We have given you everything. The estate, the money, the power, our bodies, and you wish to give it up? We saved you from the mediocrity of a completely forgotten and mundane death as a Milieus. When you die, all of Schonheit... no... even the Heavens will weep, just as they had done with your father. Would you really give all of this up to go back to being a Milieus? Please... just stop! Let me take you back to bed! I assure you, even after all you have done, we have nothing but forgiveness in our hearts. Please, allow me to take you back.”

This... was what he was trying so hard to avoid. This... Igrene begging him to stop and to come back. He felt it in his heart immediately; this tug and pull unlike those of her sisters. The look in her face, the tone of her voice, the soft glow of her eyes; it was all filled with desperation. This need to bring him back home, to put him to bed, to make everything go back to normal.

Desperate to stop all of this...

Sebastian could feel his resolve starting to weaken. His hold on his shotgun even grew slack as he looked down to the stone ground beneath him. Pulling over his left hand, he held the Serpent Key within his grasp; his escape from the estate, and escape from Mephistopheles. But as he looked at his key, droplets of water fell upon it and the ground. It was tears; he was crying again, crying all over himself. It streamed down his face where he closed his eyes and clinched the key back, his resolution exploding once again. Stuffing the key inside of his jacket, he readied his shotgun once more, pointing it towards Igrene where he said--

“Move...”

“Master... please don't do this...”

“I said move, Igrene!” he shouted, refusing to look her in the face, “You were right about me. I may be a Faust by blood, but I am a Milieus by nature. And while you may think we are small and insignificant, we have never stopped from doing what we need to do! I've had ancestors – Milieus ancestors – who have fought in wars, fought for other people! All while the Faust family have only helped those in Schonheit... and helped themselves. I won't lie when I say this; I fell for everything you all told me. I felt proud of myself as a Faust, felt proud to be a part of something larger. But I see now how ignorant I was, and how skilled you were at building me up. The Milieus family may be small... I won't deny that. And in the grand scheme of things, they may not be as prevalent in history as the Faust family... but they are my family. Igrene... I want to go home.”

“Master... mmmff... kkgghh... mmmkhh... is that honestly how you feel? With all of your heart?”

He looked up, gazing into her face. She was... crying too? Yes but... her eyes, and... her face... there was just something wrong with it. Like she could not... would not... accept this. But Sebastian stood his ground.

“Yes. This is how I feel. So please, Igrene... move...”

She looked away, her green eyes glowing bright and her teeth flashing towards the distance. But in spite of all of that... Igrene nodded... accepting his words. She stepped to the side, her hand opened out with the gate as she said,

“Then... so be it, Master. I am your obedient servant. If you wish to leave, then I have no right to stop you.”

Her head held low, Sebastian could not gaze upon her face, so he could not see her expressions. But he knew it was intense, for he was practically dooming her and her sisters to an existence of... nothing. Once again he questioned if he had it in him to say no to all of this, despite his claims of being a Milieus over a Faust. For all he had done throughout this evening, its like the estate continued pulling on him; the drachenmagd continued pulling on him. Desperate to keep him in here, to keep him close.

To keep him...

No. No no no. No. No. He won't stop now; not when he's so close.

Sebastian took a step forward.

“HOW-- EVER!!!” Igrene shouted, making Sebastian stop as his eyes snapped upon her, “If an earl has proven to be a danger either to themselves or to others, it falls upon his servants to restrain them!!!” she brought her gaze up, staring directly into his face, “You've already proven yourself a danger to others when you POINTLESSLY SHOT MY SISTERS!!! And if you go through these gates, Master, you will die! With your injuries, the storm will kill you! So, yes, you are a danger to yourself as well! Thusly, I take on the immense responsibility of restraining you against your will!

“Igrene, please don't do this!”

“DON'T 'PLEASE' ME!” she shouted back as she began approaching him, her movements quick and sporadic, losing any semblance of elegance and beauty she usually has, “Master Sebastian, please, put down the gun and let me take you back to your bedroom! Stop this madness!”

“IGRENE, PLEASE MOVE!”

“NO! I WON'T! I REFUSE! YOU'LL DIE! I CAN'T HAVE THAT! JUST STOP THIS!”

“IGRENE!”

“SEBASTIAN!”

“IGRENE!”

“SEBASTI--”

POW!!!

He... he didn't... he didn't mean to pull the trigger. At least... he thinks he didn't mean to pull it. Did he want to pull the trigger? Did it go off when Igrene shook him? Does it matter?

No. Never.

Igrene stumbled back, having been blasted in the stomach by Dragonsbane. It shook her, rattling the Head-Housemaid whose hands fell over her stomach to stop her profuse bleeding. Her visage was twisted and contorted, pain mixed with confusion, mixed with anger, mixed with madness. She couldn't believe she had been shot, and by her Master no less! It burned both physically and mentally, but in that pain she realized just how desperate Sebastian was to escape.

So be it.

A growing roar began to bubble from the back of Igrene's throat, and her dress wavered as if a gust of wind was blowing from beneath her skirt. It swelled around her, while red scales began appearing upon her body. Her horns too began increasing in size, followed by her tail which grew and grew and grew. From her back, Igrene's glorious, bird-like wings emerged, tearing through her dress. Her arms meanwhile began shifting and morphing, more scales appearing as her hails grew long and thick, transforming into talons. In fact, her arms as a whole began morphing, looking less human and more reptilian.

Her entire body began expanding, her head shifting and transforming to lose its beautiful look. More scales, more scales, more scales! Her flesh as a whole was replaced with crimson scales that adorned her from head to toe, while her physique shifted into a more serpentine build. Growing, expanding, tearing the clothes she wore on her back to shreds. Every second, the once kind visage of the beautiful Head-Housemaid was replaced with the sinister face of a serpentine demon.

Yes, a demon. When she first unveiled her true form as the Red Serpent, Sebastian saw her as a goddess given form. But now, any semblance of heavenly divinity was long since gone. Igrene was a monster, and that monster had him in her sights.

“KURRRRRAAAAAAAAAAAAAAWWWWWW!!!”

The Red Serpent's cry shook the red moon above them, and even made the storm quiver as a result. He pumped his shotgun...

CHA-CHUNK!

“Igrene, please don't...”

“KURRRAWWHH!!!”

She darted for him, but by now, Sebastian had practically mastered the art of dodging speedy reptiles. Ducking down, Igrene slid right over head... and her tail caught him. Scooping him up, she flung her Master sky-high, sending him rolling through the air and screaming, though he kept his grip tight on his shotgun.

“OOF!?”

Being flung up, he fell right into Igrene's awaiting arms. Unlike her sisters, the Red Serpent was not aiming to kill her Master... but that didn't make things better. She was dedicated wholesale to keeping him alive, and had full mental faculties to do so.

So when her body coiled around his, he knew she was merely trying to subdue him, not kill him. But the pressure she applied was intense nonetheless, making it hard to breath like he was underwater. He gasped and groaned while he gripped his shotgun, only for Igrene to grab it as well. She was stopping him from pulling it over, trying to force it from his grasp. But he fought back, and with enough push--

“GAAH!”

POW!!!

“KURRRRNNNH!?”

The blast slammed into her jaw, shutting it and releasing her grip on him. He fell over upon the ground while Igrene slammed into the wall of the main building, her head dazed from the savage impact. She was quick to turn over, leering towards the front gates while Sebastian bolted for the distance. He wasn't aiming to escape however...

He was running for the garages...

“KURRRAAAAHH!!!”

Wings flapping, Igrene bolted for Sebastian, making him duck down to dodge another tackle. This time he dodged her scooping tail too, learning quickly how deceitful she was in her dashes. Falling over on his chest, he watched as Igrene took to the skies, twisting and twirling before finally turning to face her earl. Her green eyes gleamed and her mouth opened wide, giving a powerful--

“KURRRRAAAAAAAWWWWNNNN!!!”

The land around him once again shook, the heavens and moon quaking as well. Mesmerized by Igrene's might, Sebastian stood for a few moments too long... before quickly bolting for a nearby garage. She dashed in chase of him, missing her Master just barely as he slipped through one of the garage doors.

Fine...

Darting around to the shutter doors of the garage, Igrene lifted them up, opening it so she could come inside. Her green eyes cut through the garage, picking apart the amazing assortment of cars they owned... but she did not see her Master.

Stalking down close, she stepped over car after car, searching for her Master with eyes that could pierce steel. But she could not see him, even as her eyes grew brighter and her expression grew sharper. Where is he? Where is he? Whereishewhereishewhereishe!? WHERE!? IS!? HE!?

KRR-RRR-RR-RRR-RRRR! VRRROOOOM!!!

Oh... there he is.

Igrene looked to her left, her eyes falling on a truck. Its lights gleamed in her face, and behind the wheel of this steel beast was her Master. His foot slammed upon the gas...

VRRRRMMMM!!!

“KURAWH!?”

In a sudden burst of speed, Sebastian drove his truck right into Igrene's face, striking her with enough force to knock her aside and out of the garage. It formed a sizable dent in the side of his truck, while the Head-Housemaid was left dazed by blow. She was quick to shake it off however, locking her gaze upon her Master as he drove away. But no mortal vehicle could ever hope to escape the Red Serpent!

Wings flapping, Igrene dashed for her Master with her arms extended to grab the truck. Sebastian was focused on the roads ahead of him, desperate to return to the gates only for the Red Serpent's arms to break through the windows, grabbing it. Then she slammed her tail down upon the ground, forcing the truck to a halt as its wheels screeched against the roads. Igrene's power was great, but Dragonsbane was greater.

POW!!!

“KAACHK!?”

Jerking her hands back, she released her her hold upon the truck, but in doing so accidentally caused Sebastian to lose control. It twisted and spun out before finally coming to a halt, positioning the young earl in front of the Head-Housemaid. She looked back, green eyes glowing as her mouth split open, wider and wider.

“KUURRRAAAAAAWWWWWHHHH!!!”

Her roar shook his car and shattered whatever glass was left on the truck, but Sebastian held his ground and gritted his teeth. Immediately sliding the car straight into gear three, he slammed his foot down against the pedal and shot forward with a sudden burst of speed. But Igrene did not budge, and instead, braced herself for the impact of his car against her head.

KRRAASSHH!!!

The impact dazed Sebastian, but he still heard the Red Serpent's growl over the sound of breaking metal and shattering glass. Igrene's hands gripped the side of his truck, keeping it pinned where she flexed her strength. She was just about to start lifting the truck when Sebastian quickly slid the car into reverse, pulling back out of her grasp. She roared at him, but he wasn't escaping, not this time. Immediately switching back into gear three, Sebastian flew forward to ram his car into her face once more. Igrene was knocked back, her head dazed as blood streamed from her snout, but she forced her way through the pain regardless. When Sebastian pulled back for a third time, her tail slithered over, swatting the side of his truck with enough force to knock it – and him – back.

The air bags in the truck ballooned, stopping Sebastian from bashing his head against the truck's dashboard. However, the car was totaled and the door swung over, causing Sebastian to fall out of it weakly. He brought his shotgun along with him... but the barrel was bent out of shape, its once opulent shine and beautiful design having been ruined.

And then there was Igrene, still conscious, still with her green eyes locked on his face, and still growling in a daunting manner. Her bruised face oozed with blood as she slithered over towards her Master, her claws digging into the ground beneath them. He'd never seen those green eyes so angry before, and her once lovely scent was ruined by the scent of blood.

Despite his shotgun no longer being in a pristine shape, Sebastian readied it in his hands, taking aim towards Igrene as she crawled closer and closer. But she wasn't afraid, and even stuck her nose up to the barrel of his gun as her green eyes met his brown ones.

And they just sat there, only a few inches shy of one another, breathing, breathing, breathing.

CHA-CHUNK!

BOOOM!!!

EEEEEEEEeeeeeeeeeeEEEEEEEEEEEeeeeeeeeeeeEEEEEEEEEEEEeeeee...!

“Uhhhh... huh... huhhnn...”

That. That may have been... a bad idea...

The shotgun exploded between the two, launching pellets of Dragonsbane straight into Igrene's face. But the gun was too weak to handle such force, and it blew to pieces right in Sebastian's hands. It knocked him back, but for Igrene...

“KURRRAAAAAHHHHHAHAAAAHHNNNN!!!”

Her wails filled the air, drawing Sebastian's gaze up to watch as she struggled to keep herself conscious. Bleeding profusely from the face and mouth, Igrene struggled to keep herself conscious... and she was failing. Her vision constantly blacked out, and the pain in her head began ringing too hard.... to loud... too much...

Too much... too much... too much...

“I... Iaaahh... Iaaaaahh...”

But her voice suddenly sounded... human. It was dripping with pain, but clear nonetheless.

“I... I still... I still love you...” Igrene exclaimed, before...

KRASH!

She slammed upon the truck beside him, her green eyes glazed over and mouth slightly agape, breathing lowly... but none of that mattered.

Her words rang in his ears, this declaration of her eternal adoration for him. Even after all he'd done, all the pain he'd wrought... she still loved him. How... how utterly pitiful. But was she the pitiful one for sticking to her vow, or was it he for actually feeling remorse over all he'd done?

Sebastian could no longer tell what was real and what was fake anymore... could no longer tell what it was he wanted in all of this? Laying here beneath the fake red moon he'd created, the young earl wondered if... all of this was even worth it.

He was... going to die, wasn't he? Igrene was right... wasn't she? About his injuries, about the storm? He could feel the wind starting to pick, and the rain trickling upon his face; the storm was starting to move once again. If he got caught under it... aahh...

Staggering to his feet, Sebastian's battered visage gazed over towards the gate in the distance, his hand reaching to grab the Serpent Key. His march was filled with pain, but he didn't stray from his path. The gate was right there, he just needed to...

Wait...

His head turned to face the entrance to the manor...

Katherine was standing there, right beneath the entrance's door frame. She wasn't moving, wasn't saying anything, nor did she look like she was about to attack. No... she just... stood there. The distance made it hard for him to see her face, to see what expression she had, if any at all. He could only see the glow of her eyes from behind her glasses... and that's it.

Panting softly, Sebastian leered at Katherine with his own vision blurring in and out as he struggled to retain consciousness. Was she going to attack him? Was he going to stop him? If she did, truly could do nothing about it. So why was she just standing there? He... he needed to turn and push on.

Sebastian's arm wrapped around his chest too, gripping himself to stop the throbbing pain that continued pulsating through his every form. His feet began taking him to the front gates of the estate, while his other hand readied the Serpent Key. He could see the keyhole in the distance; he just needed to slide it in and--

Master...?

And he stopped.

For a few moments, all Sebastian heard was his own breathing before turning around to face the estate. Katherine was still at the front doors, still immobile... but that wasn't Katherine's voice he heard. He heard...

No... the gates... focus on the gates. He took another step forward.

Master please... don't...

“Adeline...?”

Yes. That voice, it was Adeline's voice. Gripping himself tighter, Sebastian once more looked back at the manor and Katherine standing at the front door. But his eyes looked all around the building, as if searching for the Tailor Maid who spoke to him.

He shook his head.

Don't... leave us... Seba...

That was... Carmeline. She was calling to him too, her voice rumbling within his head. He clamped his hands over his ears as if he could force them out... but their voices stretched beyond mere sound and noise.

Come back, Master, please.

Emiline's voice rang, sounding so... pathetic... so weak. So unlike the stoic and strong Marshal.

Master! Please don't go!

Mylene desperately cried, her voice gripping his heart as he screwed his eyes shut.

Master please. Let me... hug you one more time...

Selene's voice... so meek... so small... so unlike her typically vain attitude.

Don't leave, Master... we need you... I need you...

Nadine exclaimed, her forlorn tone drawing tears from his eyes.

Nooooo! Don't gooooooo!!!

Faline screamed, forcing Sebastian's eyes opened as he looked at the ground beneath him.

Don't go, Master... I can't go on without you...

Rodeline whispered, voice dripping with need.

Master... I... Master...

And Larsine... just couldn't say anything.

Their voices bounded in his head, ringing as if they weren't speaking to him directly, but speaking to his very soul. Pleading with him, begging him to stay, to come back, to not leave them. At first he could force these thoughts out of his head but...

No...

PLEASE DON'T GO!

COME BACK!

WE LOVE YOU!

DON'T LEAVE US!

WE CAN'T GO ON WITH YOU!

MASTER! DON'T GO!

Their screams! Their mournful cries! Their wails! They just kept coming! He fell to his knees, incapable of going on as they begged him to stay, to come back, despite everything he had done throughout the day! The storm above began raining upon him, but he couldn't even feel it amid his mental breakdown. He just screamed out to the storm above, desperate to silence their desperation, to quiet the cried ringing in his head!

To just... just... make it all stop...

“Sebastian...?”

But that voice? That voice? That voice stood out from the rest.

“Sebastian...”

It was a voice that he hadn't heard in a long, long, long time.

“Sebastian...!”

With that voice came a warmth. Not the heat produced by this great storm, but a warmth brought on by the sunlight of a blissful Sunday morning. A warmth created by a genuinely loving person. A warmth that only one person in his life had ever given him.

Sebastian's eyes opened, falling upon a golden, gleaming light the permeated from the opposite side of the gates before him. Standing there was a woman, one who seemingly had the sun at her shoulders. It bathed her and the area around her in a brilliant, golden light that splashed like rivers of honey. But in this light, it made it downright impossible to see her face... but he could see her smile. This lovely, warm, welcoming smile that only she had.

The smile of his...

“Come on, Sebastian...” the woman beckoned to him, her hand reaching through the bars of the estate, “Let me take you home.”

Her voice fought back the screams of the drachenmagd, but they did not diminish outright. He could still hear them nipping at his ears, begging him to come back... but the glow and warmth of this woman was just a little bit stronger.

But was it strong enough? Why did he bound between the estate and this woman? Why did he look between her and Katherine, who still stood at the entrance, immobile and watching.

His vision began waving in and out. Sometimes he'd see the woman at the gate, other times he'd see nothing. Sometimes he'd see that glow and feel its warmth, others he'd feel the intense heat of the storm and blistering wind and rain. Sometimes he'd see Katherine... sometimes he'd see...

Mai...

And sometimes... no... not sometimes... most of the time, he'd see darkness. Shadows and blackness; a void of nothing.

The injuries he took were too much, the pain he felt too great.

He couldn't...

Keep...

His eyes...

Op... en...

He just...

Couldn't...

Keep...

Thud...

4