14. The Enchanter
205 3 4
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

L's chest heaved as she struggled to breathe through the pain. A man who worked for the Governor offered her some water, which she declined. V examined her as he asked "Are you ok? I know you might not want to admit it, but you look kinda bad." Without looking at him, L shook her head "I'm not ok no, but i will live." It sounded to V more like she said that out of spite, rather than a strong desire to survive. "Well, I’m sure if you need help, someone around here will grant it. You’re the local hero after all." L did not respond, instead she only shook her head. V wondered if he should have someone take her back to the inn, or perhaps the church, considering how badly off she still seemed. Of course, if she did not wish to go, there was no way anyone could convince her to. As V thought on the situation one of the Governor's aids approached him. "Sorry to interrupt you, but the Governor was hoping that you would show your face around the bazaar a bit. He wishes to bolster the citizens spirits, and it would seem strange for the newly congratulated heroes of the town to disappear right after receiving their rewards." The man looked at L for a moment, "Obviously she cannot walk around, and Amara is... mentally worse for wear, I doubt he will stay in this crowded location very long. You are the best off of the three of you, so we would appreciate if you attended the rest of the celebration."

There was little he could do, unless he wanted to alienate the Governor, he would have to spend the rest of the day being the town spectacle. He nodded to L and the man as he went to exit back out into the bazaar proper, "Of course, would not want the citizens to worry." As he returned some cheers and clapping greeted him, but luckily for V, it seemed as if most people had become distracted by the enchanter's booth. Even still, the amount of attention on V made him uncomfortable, he preferred to go unnoticed, and this was about as far away from that as possible. Unable to do much other than warding off people praise, thanks, and congratulations, V spent much of the day simply wondering around aimlessly. Luckily for him, as the evening approached, sleep, alcohol, food, and exhaustion took its toll on the populace. As the crowd thinned out, and interest in him waned over time, V was able to approach the enchanter and his strangely shaped booth. V did have a few chances to observe from a distance over the course of the day, he had already realized that the strange shape was to both conceal and house whatever mechanism or tools the man used to enchant items. He would take an item into the concealed part of the booth and shortly after, return with the, presumably, enchanted item. Now with the crowd and celebrations winding down, he could take a closer look, and perhaps even talk with the man.

——————
Name: Jun
Age: 23
Race: Human
Class: Apprentice Enchanter lv 22
——————

Level twenty-two! V was not expecting that. It was obvious already that non-combat classes generically had higher levels, but this was by far the highest he had seen up to this point. Also, it was the first class he had seen that had "Apprentice" before it. V had not heard anyone even mention "Apprentice" classes. He walked over to the man's booth. When the enchanter saw him, he smiled wide, although he was clearly exhausted. "One of the towns heroes, eh? Well com'on over! If you have some pots and pans to give me ill enchant them right up!" the man was in a cheery, if not sleepy, mood. V wondered if enchanting items was a strenuous process. "No actually, i don’t have anything for you to enchant." V cast a glance at the opportunistic merchants in the area, certainly he would be paying top dollar if he purchased anything from them here. "I was sort of curious about the process itself." V did not feel the need to be particularly cautious in his inquiries about enchanting, he had heard many people wondering amongst themselves how it was done, and what it took to be an enchanter. It seemed, at-least in this small town, that it was natural to not know much about the profession / class. 

"Ah, thinkin' of learning the craft yourself? Just because it demands the least willpower of the magical classes does not mean just anyone can do it! It’s quite hard to learn." V shook his head and smiled "No not quite, i have too much to deal with right now as it is. I was mostly just curious. I like to learn as much as i can, you never know when it might be relevant." The enchanter chuckled to himself "Well I’m gessin' it would take someone prepared for everything to kill someone like that woman. Well, to answer your question, not all of it can be expressed in words. Like many of the magical classes, it’s hard to describe much of it to someone who does not have any of the magical skills or abilities. It’s like trying to explain a dwarf's earthen instincts to another race, it just does not translate well, or make much sense. However, the basic idea is that we enchanters take a bit of our own desires, paired with certain spells, and sort of...seal those spells into the items we are enchanting." Interesting, V wondered what "own desires" meant. Perhaps it was related to how certain abilities, such as L's, work on personal perceptions. Maybe if you believed the item to be enchanted, it was. Although, there was obviously more to it than that. V nodded "That is interesting. Out of curiosity, i have not seen many classes with "apprentice" in front of it. Unless it’s some sort of trade secret, I was wondering if you could give me some insight into that."

Laughing, the enchanter shook his head "No, no trade secret. Most of the magical classes have "Apprentice" and "master" versions, as well as a normal class with no adjective. It has to do with what magic is actually available to us. Take a swordsman class. A swordsman can, in theory, pick up and use any type of weapon. They may not be very good with it, or may not have any abilities relating to it, but they could, if they wanted, use a club or a warhammer. They also could use a blade that normally only higher stage classes like "Sword Saint" would use, like a holy blade, they would not be very good with it obviously, but they could try. On the other hand, magical classes have strict limitations in which magic they can use." The man gestured at himself "For example, apprentice enchanters, even if they were a once in an age prodigy, could never enchant any combat enchantments. It's not that they could try and fail. They could not even try. They would have to achieve the class "Enchanter" before able to attempt combat enchantments. The same follows with most other magical classes. An "Apprentice Mage" cannot use spatial magic, like teleporting and far sight. That is not to say there is no room for creativity, for example, I can enchant things to be resilient, I’ve mostly been using that for brooms people want to stop having to replace when the bristles break, or family heirlooms people wish to last through the years. However, in theory I could enchant a weapon with it, which would boost its combat effectiveness due to a sturdier nature. However, it would not be as effective as other defensive enchantments dedicated to combat."

That was valuable information, in a few ways. "Can you enchant things multiple times? Or give it more than one enchantment?" The man shook his head "Not me no, i can overwrite enchantments made by enchanters’ lower level then me, but stacking or multiple enchantments is something only the higher enchanting classes can achieve." Nodding, V thanked him, "I appreciate the information, i wish you luck in upgrading your class." The enchanter waved "No problem, i appreciate you not having something i need to enchant, I’m wiped out after all the work, haha!"

As the festivities were basically over, V hoped the Governor would be satisfied, and he could return to the inn in relative peace. Before going back however, he wanted to see what happened to L. He doubted she could have walked all the way to the church or the inn by herself, he figured she might just still be setting behind the stage. However, when he got there, she was nowhere to be seen. One of the few people still milling around behind the stage came up to him. "Hello sir. If you are looking for your comrade, she was escorted back to her place of residence." V assumed he meant the inn. "We were going to return her to the church, as her condition seemed dire, but she claimed the church said she could return home, as they had done everything they could for her wounds already. V thanked the man and left. He wondered if L would be in the mood, and good enough condition, to discuss her Divine Slave status, and what she planned to do next.

As V traveled through the poorly laid out streets, he could not shake the feeling that something was off. He was never afraid of the dark, but for some reason, tonight as he walked, he felt a deep sense of unease. He tried to maintain as neutral of a face and stride as possible, from his previous life's experience, he always found it best to act normal in these situations. If something was wrong, he would not want to let anything know he had picked up on it. He did check his peripheral a few times with a slight head turn, but nothing seemed out of the ordinary. He circled back a few times as well, if something was following him, he did not want to lead it directly to what, at the moment, was his home. However, the unease never went away, nor did anything accost him, so after a few more unnecessary trips down some side roads, V returned to the inn.

4