54. The Demon of The North
43 0 3
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

After a short time, V had done the best he could with Eika's wounds. Wrapping them all in the boiled and mostly dried clothing strips. She had not woken up yet, which was inconvenient. Luna had nervously been trying to help V the entire time. "Is Eika going to be ok? It's my fault she ran away... I couldn't stop her." V did not have the time to continue correcting Luna's misplaced guilt. "Yes, I think she will, I’ll do my best to protect her. Although if she does not wake up, this is going to get much harder. Even if she does wake up, if she cannot move it will be bad. You cannot carry her and I need free use of my hands." V looked around, even though Eika was light, he doubted Luna could move her around even if he found something to put her in like a cart, he also decided carting her around would not benefit him. If they needed to run or sneak through a small passage between houses, taking the time to pick Eika up from a cart he was dragging was not an attractive use of time. As he wiped Eika's hair away from closed eyes, he smiled to himself. V could not remember fighting for anything other than himself back in his old world. He supposed he could have, perhaps the memory was gone. However, the memories he did have made it seem unlikely. Sure, he got in plenty of scrapes with his only true friend back then, but that was not the same. Poor Luna, being traumatized and confused, pitiable Eika being poked full of holes, and L was certainly taking part in actions she would later regret and struggle with, The Champion of Violence would have to pay for this. He owed it to L and Eika for helping him in this damn game the gods had arranged. As for Luna, it simply felt wrong for such a girl to have to witness the city in such a manner. He would kill the Champion of Violence, or at-least would make sure he died.

┌——————┐
Are you sure you would like to add this family event?
"The Hit on The Champion of Violence."
└——————┘

A twisted smile crept over V's face, so that is what it meant by family events. He supposed it made enough sense, how many types of "family events" even existed in a mafia family? Although, he supposed that it was only a mafia family from his perspective. Maybe it was not restricted to only mafia style events. Either way, that was a problem for another time. V nodded and confirmed the status window.

┌——————┐
Family Event Added:
"The Hit on The Champion of Violence."
└——————┘

Nothing seemed to immediately change for him, perhaps a renewed sense of purpose and energy, but who was to say if that was because of the "Family Event", or if it was simply because he was excited at the prospect of learning more about "Family Events." Either way, they had to get looking for L. He picked up Eika, carrying her over his shoulder. It might not be the most safe or comfortable way to carry her, but it did leave one arm free. Now, to try and figure out where L could be. She could theoretically be anywhere in the city, well, maybe other than the giant inferno of a castle.

In another part of the city, closer to the hideout, a woman stood surrounded by several city guard. "Get her boys! Look how soft her hair looks! I bet it will be real fun to play with her, even after we kill her!" One of the guardsmen charged the woman, who easily dodged and broke the man’s arm with the hilt of her sword. As the man stumbled past her, she taunted. "Have you even been trained? No wonder your honor as a protector of this City was so easily broken. Almost as easy as your arm." Her voice was filled with scorn as she spit on the next of the guardsman who grabbed at her. "Pitiful. Even if you desired to protect the honor of the city, you do not even have the power to protect your own. Not that you have any." Her sword easily slid through the hearts of the city guard. As the blood poured over the cracks of the sword, it slid quickly off the blade, leaving it spotless. Putting down the final guard as easily as one would slice a tomato, she looked toward the nearest fire. Staring into the flames she made a disapproving noise. So many honorless scum infested the city. And she still had yet to find V. She could sense his movements in the city, but she kept getting distracted by the disgusting townsfolk, her honor demanded she not stand by while so many honorless monsters roamed the street.

┌——————┐
The Emperor has issued a Decree!
"The Death of the Champion of Violence"
└——————┘

L licked her lips as the heat of the fire dried them out, The Emperor had decreed a death. How many had she carried out in the emperor’s name already? L's thoughts mixed with her memories as she scanned the streets. She was the Devil of the Court, the Demon of the North. The only time she had ever failed to slay his enemies was the time she had died. She was alive now however, and she would continue her mostly unbroken record! L killed a few men who were attempting to throttle one another as she passed them. She had no time to waste, the emperor had called upon her, and she would answer as she always had.

"I don't think L is inside of here." Luna spoke to V as they sheltered in another empty house. V shook his head "Ya I know. However I heard a... familiar voice that I would rather not meet, given the circumstances. Or to be honest, under any circumstances really." As V and Luna had been trying to work their way toward the gates of the city, V heard a roar he knew well enough. O was problematic at the best of times; he had no desire to encounter her during this whole situation. He had decided to wait inside of the house for a few minutes, until he could no longer hear any sign of her. He figured enough time had passed at this point, and prepared to lead Luna through the streets again. As he began to pick up Eika, she started to stir, slowly opening her eyes. "Ohh why does Eika hurt so much?" She slowly brought her hand up to her eyes and rubbed them, trying to clear her head. V rubbed the undamaged part of her head as he spoke "Take your time, you have been through a lot." Once Eika's thoughts sorted themselves out, he figured it would be rough for her. Eika would help V kill someone if he needed her to, but he doubted Eika would take well to the fact that she was stalking and killing innocent (enough) people in a weird death game that some lady with a tiger was using her for.

A short time later, as V sat with Eika, she mumbled. "Eika was doing a lot of bad things back there. I... I don't know why. I was just so scared of being killed that I thought I would kill them first! Eika can’t be prey if I am a predator." A few tears ran down Eika's face. "They were as scared as Eika was! There was a woman's face I remember and she looked so pitiful... And then I..." Eika retched, emptying the contents of her stomach onto the floor of the house. Luna was keeping quiet, it seemed even she understood some aspect of Eika's situation. Enough to keep her apologies for later at-least. V held up Eika as she vomited and cried and whimpered, she was just barely not overwhelmed by the physical pain of all the damage she had received. "It's not your fault. You were cursed. The whole city is. I used that potion J gave us that cures curses. Remember when he gave us that?" Eika sort of nodded as she swooned. "Ya… Eika remembers..." Eika hung limply as V held her.

"No! Stop! Stop acting like that!" Luna's voice, for the first time, was filled with anger. V had an ominous feeling, it was obviously just his nerves, but he could have even sworn that the house got darker as Luna banged on a table with her tiny fist. "Stop blaming yourself! Stop being sad! It is not your fault! You did not want to be that way! No one wants the city to be like this! Everyone is so upset and sad. I don't want Eika to be like that to!" Luna's breathing was heavy and aggravated, as she gripped the table with her small white knuckles, V could have sworn he heard a strange creaking noise. Not from the table either, from... somewhere else.  Eika looked up at Luna, "Oh Luna… I’m sorry. It is just so horrible! For some reason Eika always went after their eyes!" As Eika shuddered, Luna stood up from the table. "No! Eika is innocent. You did nothing wrong. You will not be hurt by the bad man anymore!" V found himself nodding along with Luna's words. He agreed, Eika was innocent. Even though he saw the horrible things she did, Luna was surely correct. V had never been more sure of anything in his life as Luna spoke. Eika was also nodding "Ya... ya your right. Eika did nothing wrong. It was the Champion of Violence!" Eika's strength slowly returned as she stood up, her mind and soul seemed entirely unburdened, although her body was still damaged. "V told me he would kill the bad man. Now that you are free, you can help him!" Eika nodded, "Ya... Eika will avenge the deaths of everyone he killed using me!" Another dark look passed over V's face as he smiled "I am glad you feel better, I will make the Champion of Violence pay for all of this." A status window popped up.

┌——————┐

└——————┘

Before V could try and figure out what the status window was trying to indicate, a voice game from the doorway. "I thought I heard someone yelling. I thought I was going to find a girl being abused. Not Your little crew. Although, you seem to be down one." As V gripped his sword he spun toward the door. T, The Champion of Evil, stood in the doorway, his expression seemed strained, but he did not look insane. Well, anymore than he might already be. "Are you cursed?" V asked as he prepared for the situation to devolve, T was at-least in some control of himself, but even that did not actually mean he would be friendly. T nodded "Yes, I have been given the curse same as everyone here. I can however, mostly control myself. It's difficult, I can feel the overwhelming impulses ripping through me. Heightening my boredom, hate, desire for evil. All my strongest emotions and desires being pushed to their farthest extreme in order to create violence. However, I am the master of the heart, not the Champion of Violence. Although, it does make it hard sometimes." T's gaze lingered on Luna for a few moments. For her part, Luna waved in a friendly manner. V stepped up, causing T to focus on him again, "So did you... want something?" T considered for a few moments. "No, not from you anyway. I’ll be going now... Oh. Actually. Have you seen a female champion with a tiger? Or two champions who are... sexual deviants? I really don't know how to describe them other than that."  V furrowed his brow, he was certain T would be able to tell if he was lying, not that he really had a reason to lie anyway. "I did see a woman with a tiger who seemed sane. Although I was not able to confirm if she was a champion or not."

T nodded "Well I doubt many women run around with tigers. That is the Champion of Nature. She’s absolutely insane. She occasionally works with the Champion of Violence and a few other champions to try and find me. In-fact that is probably why the Champion of Violence came here in the first place." V rolled his eyes, of course the Champion of Evil was somehow involved what was going on in the city. "Ya anyway, if she is around I need to get out of the city. I don't want their little band to find me. Don't uh... Don't fight her. I would prefer if she did not get any stronger. She‘s wickedly powerful. What a troublesome woman..." As T abruptly turned to leave V called out "I might have to fight her. I intend to kill the Champion of Violence. Any advice?" T chuckled without turning, "Oh. No not really. It is not as if she would defend Violence. Their alliance is one of convenience. They will probably turn on each other the moment they finally corner me. The other champions that are working with them however are a different story, they are simply too unpredictable."

As T left the house, V heard him swear "Woh shit! You're feisty today, aren't you? I’m kind of surprised that... you surprised me. Well anyway, I actually have other things to do than play with you." V prepared again for something unfortunate to come through the door of the house. However, what came through the door was a welcome sight... sort of. L stood in the doorway "I was unable to slay T, his honorless soul still haunts this world." Her sword was weirdly clean compared to the rest of her. Covered in blood was not even the word, her entire body was drenched in the stuff. How many people had she killed? She seemed to have some sort of self-awareness, as she clearly was talking to him instead of attacking him. However, judging by the blood she was not that sane. "Nice to uh...see you. Eika was wounded but she is doing a little better." V probed with simple conversation, hoping to get a read on L's mental status. "Good, perhaps she will be helpful in killing the Champion of Violence. His death has been arranged has it not?" V slowly nodded L seemed hyper focused on the goal of killing the Champion of Violence. By her words, he assumed that she had received some form of status message or other indicator when he put the hit out on Violence.

"Do you know where he is? Because all I have to go on is that it’s a "he."" L's grip on her sword tightened "Nay, but I will find him, even if the city turns to ashes during our search. His death must be carried out, it was demanded by the Godfather!" V realized at-least some of what was going on with L, she probably saw a status message from "The Emperor" and in her altered mental state has fixated on it. People were being driven to violence based on their strongest feelings and tendencies. Eika ran to the garden because it was where she was last angry, but she killed because she was afraid of being prey. The children were driven to violence due to their perception of adults ruining their lives, turning that idea into the extreme idea of "slaves," just like everyone else, L's motivations for violence stemmed from what was prevalent in her mind. In this case, honor. Murdering people for honor, V allowed himself a slight smile at the idea. "That would take too long, he might escape by the time the city is ashes. We will need to figure out where he is first." L made a strange noise, "pftch, there are only so many dishonorable souls. If we keep killing them, eventually we will find his." It was notable that she clearly did not retain her sense of tactics or logic.

V considered the situation; organizing the facts. The city was in total chaos, any number of champions could be running around within the city walls indiscriminately killing and attacking the first thing they see. The Curse of Violence seemed to have affected everyone. As V thought about it, he checked Luna's status. She was indeed cursed; it just did not seem to affect her. If The Champion of Violence's blessing allowed him to curse everyone inside of the city, it would track that his associates such as the Champion of Nature, the woman with the tiger, would have entered the city after the curse was applied. Presumably a blessing as powerful as "cursing an entire city" would have some kind of cool-down period, similar to how the Champion of Life's blessing did. On the subject, why would the Champion of Violence curse an entire city to kill itself? V supposed it could simply be because he liked to do it. After all O killed people simply because she could, no further reason than that. However, if that was the case, why were there no reports or rumors of The Champion of Violence going around killing every single village? As L waited impatiently in the doorway, V continued to think, idly looking at Luna's status while he struggled to think. Suddenly something caught his eye on Luna's status. Her experience value had not changed at all since all of this started. He was unsure the way an oracle class would normally gain experience, but the Divine Classes had proved to acquire experience when involved with other Divine Classes.

When he was being tortured by E back in the forest, his experience continued to rise. Even though he was not fighting, he was still living through an event caused by another champion, which presumably is considered "doing things related to being a Divine Class," thereby earning experience. He checked his own status and nodded; he had not gained experience either since he had awoken. His class "Divine Champion" should have gotten one or two points while fighting the townsfolk. Not especially challenging, but still, they should have given him something. A worrying thought dawned upon him. What if the reason the Champion of Violence was doing this, was because it made him stronger? What if everyone under the curse was giving him experience? Obviously, V had been cured from the curse, but everyone he had killed was under its effects. Unfortunately, the only person around who was not cursed was Eika, and he did not really want to start punching her to see if he could earn a few experience points. 

"We are going to the front gates." V declared suddenly. "Are we running away? How will we stop the bad man?" Luna sounded concerned. V shook his head "No, but I think that Violence might be waiting outside of the city." V figured that even if he was incorrect, and Violence was not gaining everyone in the cities experience, there was a chance he would still be outside, waiting for everyone in the city to either kill each other, or tire each other out, only moving in when everyone was exhausted and battered. Besides, it was not like they had any other place to look.

 

3