100. The Sphere
12 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

After a few more moments of silence, a loud voice echoed through the space. "Hey! You made it to the thing here!" Luna was gesturing excitedly behind her. "It’s very pretty, especially the glowing ones!" Behind her was a strange set of doors, they reminded V of blast doors in the sci-fi movies from his world. Eika called out "Luna! How did you get here?" Luna looked upward and tilted her head. "I was eating and looking at something, and then I was eating and looking at this place." L sighed. V pat Luna on the head as he examined the strange arrangement behind her. It was like a cylindrical series of doors that all aligned with the numerous walkways that met in the center of this strange prison spire. "Ah you made it, well do open one of the doors." Namkuzu suddenly spoke to them again after being silent for some time. As V approached one of the doors, Luna quipped "Careful, when you touch em they fly open! SHOOP! I jumped backwards and almost fell the first time!" V dubiously looked over the sides of the walkways. At the current location, it would not be too difficult to land on the walkways below him should he fall. The group and him, seemed to be at the middle of the assortment of paths, in terms of height anyway.

Stepping up to the doors, V touched one. L was about to say something, but she was too slow. As the door did indeed 'Shoop!' open, V instinctively took a step back. "This place is a prison; you really should be careful before you just start touching doors." L chided V's careless action. "It worked for Luna." He knew that was not really a defense of his actions, and L agreed. "A lot of things work for Luna..." She muttered, a hint of aggravation in her voice. Namkuzu sighed and spoke up "If you're quite finished?" After a second of contemplation, the group walked through the door. Inside was a cacophony of visual noise. Despite this, it seemed orderly and even pleasant to look upon. A large colorful sphere hung over the center of the confluence of walkways. It was made of countless sigils, perfectly arranged alongside one another. The single glowing sigil's light reflected off Eika's round eyes as she looked at the sphere. "Wooow! That is so cool looking! It's crazy but... like not crazy!" V nodded, despite Eika's relatively poor description, she was correct. The sigils that created the sphere were constantly shifting, spinning, and changing positions. Despite this, it always seemed to form the perfect arrangement. It was hard for V to look at for too long at once, it was a little overwhelming to his eyes. Much like how an eclipse might be beautiful, but looking directly at it is ill advised.

"Yes, it is all very well constructed. It would be, having been created by a bunch of gods. However, since this is the first time I’m seeing it from the "outside," I assume it used to be a whole lot brighter. I should mention, its considerably less majestic looking from the inside." As V and L squinted at the large swirling sphere, they could just barely make out a humanoid shape in the center. L furrowed her brow as she watched the shifting sigils. "I assume each one represents a god. The only one that is still glowing: I seem to be able to recognize it as the mark of the God of Honor." V nodded, he did not have the same instinctive certainty as she did, but when he looked at the glowing sigil, it did feel very 'honery.' Perhaps the symbol of a god is recognizable to mortals? V tried to look at the other, non-glowing ones, but did not feel any particular way about them. Namkuzu spoke up. "I’m not actually sure how the whole thing works, but I’m confident in saying that the reason only one of them is glowing is because the others are dead. Which is also probably going to make destroying my cell a whole lot easier than it otherwise would have been." V nodded, that logic was easy enough to agree on. "Do... you think you can do it?" He turned to L, still heavily wounded, as she examined the sphere. "Perhaps, but even if I can, I suspect it might kill me." Eika's ear twitched as she turned to face L. "What... what do you mean?"

Gesturing to the sphere, L explained. "I can just feel that the thing is not going to go easily. Remember what happened when we fought the Champion of Combat? It's probably going to take as much, or more, to destroy this thing. Last time that happened, I almost, and sort of did, die. I can't heal from a pile of ashes." Eika started looking nervous as she spoke. "Well, we can wait for you to heal the rest of the way! And we can help. I can like, punch it and stuff! V's alright with a sword and... uh... Luna can watch." L shook her head "I don't think a sword and some physical attacks are going to help much." Namkuzu chimed in suddenly, "She's right of course. A few punches and hits with a sword would amount of a whole lot of nothing. The effort required may in-fact, as Honor says, reduce her to a pile of ash. Although, that would likely be enough to free me." A hint of anger crept into V's line of thinking, it was obvious by both his tone and words that Namkuzu did not really care if L died in the attempt to free him. "Oh yes, excuse me if the price of  'one more dead demon' for my freedom does not bother me overmuch. I have been imprisoned here for a very long time. Plus, it’s her choice, isn't it? No need to be upset at me. I'm not forcing her. In-fact I literally cannot force her, if I tried, she would be trying to free me with my resolve rather than her own, and I’m going to let you know right now, that would not be enough."

V closed his eyes for a moment as he thought about the situation. "We will find another solution!" Eika grabbed L around her legs in a bear hugging sort of motion. L shook her off "Doubtful. The God of Honor went through very specific actions so that I would be here. I doubt there are a great many ways to accomplish destroying this holding cell." Eika looked around, panicking a little. "But uh, we could just leave him here, right? Sorry Mr. demon sir." Eika quickly muttered as she continued. "We don't have to free him!" Shaking her head L disagreed. "No. I have to do this. It was my entire purpose for being brought to this world." V spoke up, he had very little interest in letting L kill herself for this... being. His voice was grim as the words left his mouth. "I could order you not to free him." Under normal circumstances, V would not consider doing that. After-all, he did tell L he would support her quest for the Honor God. However, the being she was considering killing herself to free was not particularly sympathetic.

L gripped the handle of her sword, as anger and confusion gripped her voice. "That... You..." V would not use such a tactic, would he? L's feelings on the matter were conflicted, to say the least. However, due to her nature as the Archdemon of Honor, she could already tell it would be difficult to fight both a direct order from V, as well as Namkuzu's prison cell. It would certainly cause her to fail in destroying the sphere of sigils. L silently glowered as V shrugged. "I did not mind helping you on a journey that would 'probably' kill us, to save a being I did not know anything about. However, I’m getting tired of being used by various powers that be. Setting here watching you die, to fulfill and oath to a god who clearly only cares for your services rendered, to free a being who does not even care if you die, is a bit much for me to swallow right now." Eika had grabbed her ears and had pulled them down over the sides of her face at this point and worriedly looked between L and V. Luna had slowly started to creep toward V. Perhaps she could convince him to give her something to eat? It had been a while and she really liked the dried meat the village had given them.

"Let’s not... be hasty." Namkuzu spoke up. He did not need his chance at freedom to evaporate right before his very eyes. "The Archdemon of Honor is only in danger because of her perchance to self-harm, right? Well, we just need to uh, solve that issue." V's dislike of Namkuzu was increasing. "If that can be done, why did you not mention it in the first place?" V probed in an aggravated tone. "Because there is some risk involved in trying to solve that issue. Risk to me, I should mention. You don't want her to sacrifice herself to free me, you can hardly blame me for not wanting to sacrifice my chance at freedom in order to help The Archdemon of Honor." V squinted at the humanoid form within the sphere of godly sigils. "I’m quite ready to take control of this situation and simply leave you here." V's patience was quickly turning to ash. The constant sense of powerlessness had started getting to him. He almost just died to the cold. The Cold. In a death game were people have time powers, and crazy power suits, and self-resurrection of varying qualities; all he had was a questionable blessing and a questionable class. He did not care so much initially, but his relative powerlessness had almost gotten them all killed multiple times. On top of that, his strongest reliable ability was... to make a small girl stronger and rely on her? V's aggravation started to rise even further once he considered that apparently fate was now trying to get him to set here and watch L kill herself for an ungrateful bastard.

Quickly working to head off V's spiraling mental state. Namkuzu interjected. "Everyone just calm down a moment. Let's all agree that none of us were extremely willing to put themselves in danger for anyone else. Well, other than Honor, but that’s... part of the problem. I guess. Everyone take a breath, and we will sort this out. We are on the same side here. Let's-" Luna had made it to V's side and patted him on the leg. "Can we eat something? It’s been a long time and I know you have some of the good stuff!" V looked down at Luna's hopeful face, unclenching his fist he nodded "Lets... take a break. We all need to eat something." V looked over at the hole still in L. "Probably."

They set up a makeshift rest area. It was not a proper camp, just a place to set and eat. L was angry at V, V was angry at L and Namkuzu, Eika was scared, Luna was enjoying the food. There was a tension in the air as The Archdemon of the Mind spoke up again. "So, uh, as I was saying. In theory, if her powers did not cause self-harm, everyone gets what they desire out of the situation right?" V shrugged "I guess." He would not forget that Namkuzu failed to bring this up until the situation seemed to be slipping through his fingers. "Well, maybe it would be best if we all just rested for a while. Honor can finish healing, and uh, we can work on solving the self-harm issue." V tapped his foot a few times. "You have yet to tell us how you intend to make it so L does not destroy herself with her own powers." V's tone was impatient and distrusting. After a few moments of hesitation, Namkuzu responded "Yes, well it’s not that easy to explain you understand. Or rather, it is easy to explain, just not very... safe... to explain. I guess is more accurate." V, L and Eika waited, all tense, although for different reasons. "Uh, well, it’s because The Archdemon of Honor has a personality problem." V raised his eyebrows, L shifted her hand to the hilt of her weapon, Eika stopped mid bite of her food and looked around in concern, and Luna happily munched on her food.

 

1