Chapter 34
1.6k 1 59
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

If you want to support me. Chapters in advance in Patreòn
Pa treon.com/HolyJoker
(20+ chapters in advance)
___________

***
The way the Fire Sages were going was very different from the original timeline. So they were probably ordered to do something. Obviously not something in our best interest, but what were they planning to do?

While following Aang as he talked with the Sages, I kept an eye on all of them. 

"Honorable Sokka, lady Katara," the Fire Sages addressed us too. "We are honored to have the Avatar's crew here with us."

Katara was about to say something, but I walked in front of her in a manner that might seem rude and greeted the men. "Hi there, so you are Sages, right? So like, you know everything?"

"Hahaha," the eldest amongst them laughed amusingly. It seemed like he found my questions funny. "No, far from that. We are but normal people who serve the Avatar."

"Sokka, don't ask such stupid questions," Katara elbowed me lightly to my side, and I looked her in the eyes. Immediately, she looked back, and although she had a smile on her face, she side-glanced towards the Fire Sages multiple times. 

She was signaling me that there was something suspicious about them. Seems like my cute little sister is smarter than most would think.

"Sorry, sorry," I apologized with a foolish smile on my face and put an arm around Katara's neck. "Also, little sis, don't treat me so badly," normally she would waterbend my face off if I did something like this. But while the others might only see us acting as siblings, Katara noticed my finger that was pointing downward.

Looking towards the ground, she saw many footsteps left on the soft earth, it was much more than five people could leave, more as if an army had passed through here.

Katara was suspicious before, but now she was on guard. I felt her body tense once she saw that, and was now ready to waterbend and fight her way out of here.

But I nudged her slightly and whispered to her. "Don't act suspicious, we might be surrounded already. Let's play along for a while."

The Fire Sages were running circles around Aang and asking him many questions, so they didn't pay attention to us. Which was good, as that meant they weren't too worried about us either.

But this also brought up another question. Why the hell weren't they on guard against me? Didn't they get the news from Zhao's division, wasn't that… or maybe they didn't. Was there something I am missing here? A piece of the puzzle I can't see.

No, for now, that wasn't something to worry about. Instead, these footprints were more of an urgent matter, as it meant that there were many people here that we couldn't see.

Should I check the Map? But that will block my vision for a split second. It’s a little reckless with master firebenders so close, but [Danger Sense] should warn me before it happens. Also, Katara was on guard and would protect me.

In the end, I decided to open my Map, and the 3D image appeared all around me. The towed, instead of the usual blue lines… was fully covered in red, it was swarming with enemies.

There were so many red dots that I could barely see the layout of the temple. Each of them was a Fire Nation soldier and they were hidden within the secret rooms and passages of the temple. 

As we walked behind Aang, many thoughts came to mind. Katara was following my lead, so that meant that I would have to be the first one to act and she would follow.

These guys were planning something. Should I attack the Fire Sages right now? No, that would just cause the people around us to spring into action. 

As we walked in, we were greeted by some tight hallways. 

Then would a fight in these tight hallways be beneficial? Again, no, I had nowhere to escape the fire. 

How about an open field, I just jump out of the window with Aang and Katara? Fuck no, that would just make the numerical advantage even more obvious and get us wrecked.

 Aang then won’t be able to meet Roku. I could explain him what Roku wanted to say about the comet. Well, I could tell Aang that myself, but it would be troublesome and bring unnecessary questions. Also, even more spirits might start taking an interest in me.

This will be hard… but I am confident in outplaying everyone around me as long as I don’t get arrogant. At least as some semblance of my future knowledge stood true. 

One of the Fire Sages, Shyu, I believe he was called, he signaled at me. Shaking his head nervously and looking towards the walls where some hidden doors stood. 

Dumbass, stop being so obvious.

I smiled at him and waved as if misunderstanding his signals as a greeting.  

This guy should just shut the hell up, if he knew that we were surrounded, then he should just act normal and understand that even if I knew what message he was trying to send. It would only bring trouble to us all.

**
Once we arrived at the top of the temple, the doors to Avatar Roku’s chamber were open, and in the middle, the statue of Avatar Roku stood tall with a fierce face. 

“Please go on, Avatar…” said the eldest Fire Sage, bowing respectfully. “We will close the doors behind you so you can meet avatar Roku.”

As Aang entered, the doors behind him closed and everyone stood silently. I already had my spear in my back and was ready for an attack at any moment now. But contrary to my expectations they just stood there and smiled at me. 

These guys, what are they planning? Letting Aang enter like that was illogical. What if he enters the Avatar state, then… wait… that is their aim!

A dozen scenarios played in my head and I finally understood why there were so many Fire Nation soldiers hidden here.

The Sages were somehow knowledgeable that to kill the avatar permanently, he needed to be in the Avatar state. But I don’t think this knowledge was something that anyone would have. Even Zhao, who was in Wa Shi Tong’s library, didn't know that. So there was only one option left, a spirit informed the Sages.

Which spirit had been in contact with us and wanted to harm me? Evil Lady, the Spirit of Strife, she is working against me right now.

Ding!

[For making a logical conclusion Intelligence increased by 2]

That spirit. I am not strong enough to defeat it, and probably won’t be for a while. But… I will kill that bitch.

People that try to go against me will die. I will fucking drown them all in a river of blood if I have to.

***
Sokka's malicious thoughts weren't shown on the outside at all. Instead, he seemed to be pretty relaxed and looked at the Fire Sages. "So, do you have any games here? Or we could do something to pass the time faster."

The Fire Sages glanced at the young man, he casually walked towards them. But he dropped his spear on the ground and the way he carelessly strode forward with a huge grin on his face made them drop their guard around him.

What was there to be worried about? He was just some foolish young man, in their eyes. How could he compare to the Fire Sages who have studied firebending their whole lives?

Fwish!

Sokka casually walked past them, and suddenly all of the Fire Sages' eyes widened. Shyu was the only one who seemed normal and glanced at his colleagues.

Shyu looked on in shock as the other Fire Sages' faces turned purple and they fell on their ground, grasping at their throats.

"Don't worry, I just blocked the Chi Points in their throat," Sokka reassured the last standing man. "Now tell me, what is happening?"

Shyu immediately spilled the beans. "A woman with dark hair and grey skin came to tell us how to kill the Avatar. She promised them glory and they would be known as the great firebenders who killed the Avatar and finished him off for good… permanently."

"Just as I expected, things always become messed up when people like her get involved." Sokka sighed.

"Uhhh… what the hell are you talking about?" Katara intervened, curious at what we were talking about.

 
"Oh~ it's nothing. You know how your cool brother attracts females. They sometimes become just too crazy for me." 

At first, Katara was going to refute and dismiss such a foolish notion. But then she remembered how his departure with Suki ended. He had said the worst things he could say, and she ended up falling for him. "You aren't cheating on Suki are you?"

"Huh? You make it sound like me and her were in some kind of serious relationship."

Katara narrowed her eyes suspiciously. "Just don't be a scumbag that goes around breaking girls' hearts."

"Are you getting involved in my love life now?"

"Your love life? Why would I get involved in something nonexistent?"

"You can be such a bitch sometimes."

"What did you just say to me?!"

Though they were both arguings, Katara felt something strange. Like Sokka was trying to tell her something through their arguments, something that he couldn't say out loud.

'Are we being observed?' - wondered Katara. 

Shyu looked at the bickering siblings and knew that if they made too much noise, it might alert the guards below them. They might come up and check, after all, by now they should have gotten the signal by the Fire Sages, yet they hadn't. So some might come and check. "Excuse me, mister Sokka, miss Katara, can you please not make too much nose-"

"Shut the hell up!" "Don't interfere in our business!!" Both of the siblings yelled simultaneously. They were the only ones allowed to critique each other, if anyone else intervened then they would band together and bash the outsider.

The Fire Sage wisely decided to back off, but he notices something strange. By now the Fire Nation soldiers in the hidden rooms below should have noticed something and come in charging. Why haven't they done that yet?

"What's going on there?" Wondered Shyu.

***
Below the Avatar's floor, an injured Zhao, with one of his arms missing, and a burned lower jaw looks in rage towards his new prisoner. It was Zuko, he had just been caught here. The Fire Nation soldiers had filled the room, now that someone with high commanding power like Zhao was here, the Fire Nation soldiers would have to listen to him.

“Zhao? I didn’t even recognize you. What happened to you? Finally lost against someone who didn’t spare you?” Asked Zuko mockingly, even while in chains the prince hasn’t lost his pride. He was here to capture the avatar and nothing would stop him from that.

Zhao clenched his teeth as fire started to appear around his hands. The man was unable to control his emotions for now, as he had suffered great shame by having his men mutiny and they almost killed him.

***********
A/N: Katara is intelligent, as she had been portrayed so in the series too. Though she doesn't have that experience needed to sometimes figure out things and catch clues that Sokka seemed to catch on quickly. 

Also she knows how her brother usually acts and can generally see when he wants to tell her something without actually telling her something. Though sometimes she can completely miss the message too.

P.S: If you wanna join my Discord server to ask any questions or see character pics. Here it is the link:
https://discord.gg/gEar3V3sYF

59