Chapter 4
10 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The next day, when the night was on, a guard brought the farmer to the small chamber above the guardhouse where Saren was waiting to meet her. And She met the miller.

Saren talked to the miller but the conversation between them did not show any results. The farmer was terrified and seemed hurt, she thought..

After finishing her investigation, Saren nodded to the farmer and soldier, dismissing them.  

The guard and the farmer went through the door and moved out. And Someone came in with a hoodie covering her face. Then she lowered her hoodie.

It was Kayan herself.

“Sit, witcher,” she said. “I didn’t come here officially. Were you at the palace where the striga is?. If you went there, did you see her?.”

“Yes I was there. No, I didn’t see the noble girl.”

“When will you start your mission?”

“I’ll have started working on it In four days.”

“Would you like to have a look at her yourself before you get your task started?”

“I don’t need to look at the noble girl.”

Kayan stared down.“Striga, you can say striga. You don’t have to be political here.” 

“I didn’t mean to be rude since she is your little girl after all.”

“She will be my noble girl afterward. And that is why I am here. I have to talk about the truth about the work you’ll make. Answer me. Will it work or not? I don’t care about your code, tell me right now.”

Saren rubbed her face.

“I can confirm the spell might be reversed. And, If I am correct, it can be done by spending the night at the palace until the third crowing of the cock. If I can keep the striga out of her coffin, the third crowing will end the spell. This is the procedure to reverse the spell on the strigas.”

“Why is a crowing cock necessary?”

“A cock is not necessary, the third crowing of a cock is what we seek here, and a striga that is out of her coffin at the same time. That’s all.”

“Easy?”

“It is not that easy because I have to survive one night or more, maximum three. But, some cases are hard to solve.” 

“Yes, a  few people have been telling me that.”

Kayan remained silent for a while. Saren didn’t say anything for a while then she waved her hand.

“Is there any problem?” Saren said. “Majesty?”

“The people who told me also might have told you that you should kill the monster because it's impossible to reverse the spell. I am sure they have already spoken to you, am I right, witcher?”

“Some people did.”

“Did they say ‘Kill the striga then and tell the ruler nothing else could be done’. They might have convinced you that I wouldn’t pay, but they would. Very cheap business.“

“Why would they convince a witcher like me?”

“Because the ruler, me,  will order the witcher, you, executed and the gold will remain in their pockets.”

“Does the ruler, you, order the witcher to be executed?” Saren said.

Kayan looked Saren in the eyes.

“The ruler does not know,” she said. “But the witcher should have such an eventuality in mind so they can fight with all the power they have got.”

Saren was silent for a moment. 

“I’ll try to do what is in my power,” she shrugged. “But if I can’t handle the situation, I will kill the striga to protect my life. “

Kayan remained silent.

“Your Majesty, you must be prepared for such an eventuality.”

Kayan got up. “You do not understand me. It’s obvious you’ll kill her if it becomes necessary, whether I like it or not. Because otherwise she’ll kill you, surely and inevitably. I won’t punish anyone who kills her in self-defense. But I will not allow her to be killed without trying to save her. There have already been attempts to set fire to the old palace. They shot at her with arrows, dug pits and set traps and snares, until I hung a few of her attackers. But that is not the point. Witcher, listen!”

“I’m listening.”

“After the third crowing of the cock, there will be no striga, if I understand correctly. What will there be?”

“Majesty. You’ll have your noble girl if everything works as I planned.”

“With red eyes? Vampire’s teeth?”

“A physically normal young girl... Except that...”

“Mentally, every day, a cup of dust for food?”

“No. Mentally... I think there will be a very young girl that can’t even speak a word. She’ll need some time to become a normal human being that can communicate.”

“That’s obvious. Witcher?”

“I’m listening.”

“Can she turn into a striga again, later?”

Saren was silent.

“Aha,” Kayan said. “It can. And what then?”

“I didn’t say it can. I’d say I don’t know but if she falls asleep for more than weeks, for some reason, then her body will have to be burned.”

Kayan seemed angry. 

“I do not think it will come to that,” Saren said. “Just to be sure, I will give you some instructions, your Majesty.” 

“Right now?”

“Right now,” Saren said. “Many things may happen, your Majesty, since the risk is great. That is why you must listen now. The noble girl should always wear a sapphire on her body, or a silver chain. All the time.”

“Why not just a silver coin or ring, is there any special thing with a chain?

Saren laughed. “Nope. Chains are sexy for me.”

“No time for jokes,” Kayan grimaced. “How could you be that calm under such a situation? What’s more?”

“A sapphire ring could be fine. Aside from that, every now and then you should burn parsley and lemon in the room where she usually sleeps..”

Kayan became calmer. “I thank you for your advice, witcher. I will pay you no matter what. Now, listen to me, If you find the case is harder it is, kill her. If you reverse the spell but the girl is still abnormal, kill her. Do not fear, I won’t order my guards to execute you. I’ll shout at you in front of others and make you out of the town. Nothing more, Of course I’ll give you only the half of the reward. That’s it.”

They were both quiet for a while.

“Saren.” Kayan said.

“Yes.”

“Is ıt true that the child is as she is because Adda and I, two siblings had...?

“Such phenomena doesnt happen after having sex, even with your siblings.” Saren smiled then grimaced. “Such spells don’t cast themselves. But I think your relationship with your girl sibling was the reason for somebody to cast the spell. And this is the result.”

“As I thought. That is what some people around said. Saren? Where do such things like spells or magic come from?”

“I don’t know, your Majesty. For us witchers, the knowledge to fight the monsters created by such magic and spells is enough. We don’t care about the sources they come from.”

“Do you only kill them? No reversing at all?”

“Usually, we are paid for killing. Only some wanted the reversal of spells, your Majesty. People simply want to defend themselves from danger.”

Kayan got up, walked across the chamber, and stopped in front of Saren's sword hanging on the wall.

“With this?” she asked, not looking at Saren.

“No. That is not for monsters.”

“Saren!” Kaay looked at Saren. “I’m going to the crypt with you.”

“If you come with me and die there, They make me sit on a stake!”

Kayan turned. “Do you know, witcher, that I have not seen her? I am afraid that I may never see her again? At least I have the right to see my child while you’re murdering her.”

“I say again. It is most likely death. If my attention slips...”

Kayan turned away, started toward the door.

“You are speaking the truth,” she said, “although you are simply a rogue. I was told what happened at the tavern. I’m sure you killed those thugs solely for word to spread, to shock people, to shock me. It’s obvious that you could have dealt with them without killing. I’m afraid I’ll never know whether you are going there to save my child, or to kill her. But I agree. I have to agree. Do you know why?”

Saren did not reply.

“Because I think,” Kayan said, “I think that she is suffering. Am I not right?”

Saren gazed at Kaya, “I don’t know.”

0