LACOS
83 1 4
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

We left the small town of Arca first thing in the morning, most of the things were stored in my storage rings so only the four of us were on the wagon, I was driving and the children were sitting in the back.

Our first day of travel was without problems, we camped on the side of the road, the boys tended the horses, giving them food and water, while Alice and I prepared the food, during the trip we only ate dried meat, only dinner was an appropriate meal .

After dinner, the children returned to the wagon to sleep, while I slept outside keeping watch, thanks to my ability I could feel the danger even while I was sleeping, it was not 100% safe, but it was the only mechanism we had, we could not rotate guards, as the children had no fighting skills.

Because of this, I slept few hours, but even so I had more resistance so it was not a problem, while I was driving the cart, the children were studying, it would take us about 5 days to get to Lacos if there was no problem.

The truth was, I was worried about being attacked by some group of goblins or thieves, however, the Lacos guard had a strong presence on the roads, we had to pass many security checks during the trip.

Imagine that due to goblin activity in the area security was tightened, it was a bit tedious going through so many checkpoints, but at the end of the day thanks to that we were able to arrive safely and without incident to Lacos on the sixth day.

When we saw Lacos, both the children and I were surprised, the city was a fortress, surrounded by walls of more than 50 meters, in addition there were some fortresses on the way to the city, which made it imposing and difficult to attack.

Lacos was a city of about 3 millions inhabitants, so it was considerably larger than Clavel city, security was rigid, however, it did not prevent people from entering and leaving, in fact, there was a large flow of people in its door.

We slowly approached the entrance and got in line waiting for our turn, the entrance process was a bit slow, there were a lot of people, but after a couple of hours it was our turn.

- The reason of the visit? (Guard)

- Hi, I'm a merchant, these three are my apprentice brothers, we came to Lacos with the intention of settling here for a while and trying to do business. (Evan)

- Where do you come from and what kind of business? (Guard)

- We come from Arca city, in terms of business, I still lack funds, so first it will be to obtain that. (Evan)

- If you do not have any business, you are not a merchant, I am suspicious that you make up that story. (Guard)

I had to admit that they were strict, although I did not blame them, with the goblins prowling it was not strange that there were spies, the greedy would betray even their own race for benefits, but I was not afraid, quickly took out my Carnation merchant ID, although I did not business there, with it I could make up a story.

- I'm not inventing anything, look at this is my identification of the Clavel city merchants guild, before going to Arca city I had my business there, but due to an accident that I suffered there I had to emigrate. (Evan)

The guard still looked skeptical, but he took the ID and after checking it and seeing that it was real, he relaxed his expression a bit, then he handed the ID back to me.

- What business did you have there? (Guard)

- A small restaurant, but a wealthy merchant fell in love with my cook and when she left I couldn't continue the business, so I decided to move to find another direction. (Evan)

- That's a shame, to enter will be 5 copper coins per child and one silver per adult, if you are going to reside in the city I recommend you get another identification in the union. (Guard)

I quickly took out a gold coin, the guard took it and gave me the change, then we did the antecedent detector test and when we came out white, he let us pass, then we entered the walled city of Lacos.

The city was massive, even bigger than the capital of the southern duchy of Terra where Alan was born, there were even some buildings, although only 6 stories high, the streets were wide and well organized.

I have to admit that was a bit astonished, although in the modern era buildings of this height were nothing special, to date in this world I had not seen large buildings, not to mention that it was very clean.

I was surprised, but Alice, Cristopher and Jonathan were in shock, they had never left their town, the small city of Arca was already impressive for them, so when they entered Lacos they were at the limit of their imagination.

On the way we asked for directions and we arrived at a small inn with a good reputation and with the same conditions as in the Arca city inn, we rented a similar room for one gold coin a week.

We left the horses in the care of the inn and went up to the room, we quickly took a bath in turns, since we had not bathed properly in days, at most we cleaned our bodies with a damp cloth.

After bathing, the children sat in the living room, while I went downstairs to order our food, once I did that, went back upstairs and waited for them to bring it to our room, it didn't take long, about 30 minutes.

We ate happily, on travel days we had approached and the children were no longer so on guard, as I had slept little, after eating I went to rest for a while in my room, apparently the children felt the same because they did the same .

We were really tired, because we slept until the next day, as we had to go out to get our IDs for residents of Lacos, we went downstairs, we had breakfast and after asking the receptionist for directions we left the inn.

Unlike Ciudad Clavel in Lacos, the merchants' guild was not a shopping center, it was a 5-story building and all were used by the guild's staff, it was not clear to me, why did they need so much space? But I didn't worry about it and we just went in to take care of our business.

Since, the children could not get a merchant ID because they are under 15 years of age, which represents the age of majority in this world, only I took out the identification as a merchant and they were given IDs as family members, after paying 10 gold coins they were given to us.

With the new identifications, we could reside as long as we wanted in Lacos, and we could also leave and enter the city without paying any taxes, which was good, since surely I would have to leave the city on missions.

When we finished our business in the merchants' guild, we toured the city a bit, at least its shopping streets and the main square.

The commercial street that we visited was that of the commoners, where you could buy goods such as food, clothing, weapons and others at affordable prices, the wealthy of the city would go to other businesses where everything was of better quality and high price.

We toured the city and by dinner time we returned to the inn for dinner, the food was not bad, but not good either, when we finished we chatted in the living room and when it got dark we went to sleep.

The next morning after breakfast, we were all sitting in the living room of the room discussing future plans, we could not continue living this way, my money was not unlimited.

- Well, we must define how we are going to continue from now on, unfortunately I am not rich, so we must discuss what we will do next. (Evan)

- Even if you say that, we are only studying, we will leave that to your consideration. (Christopher)

- Certainly I am the one who provides them, however, I have to discuss it so that they are prepared in any eventuality. (Evan)

- Eventuality? What kind? (Jonathan)

- Well, I earn my living doing missions at the moment, it also helps me as training, however, this carries dangers, what happens if I don't return from a mission? What would they do then? (Evan)

- That is true, at this time we depend on the older brother, if you do not return, we will be alone again, without money. (Christopher)

- Cris understood well, at this moment we must find a solution, although it is true that I do not plan to leave, we must take precautions. (Evan)

- What does the older brother propose? (Christopher)

- Don't worry, you don't have to be so serious, I will start with simple missions, little dangerous to reduce the risk, therefore, you will continue studying how we have been doing, first, I will go to the city to collect information and at night we will make a plan. (Evan)

Everyone attended and went to study, while I left the inn to look for information, I had to know the environment to know what to do next, the truth was not very difficult to find what I wanted, I entered the bar of the mercenaries' guild, I knew that there for money he would get what he needed.


AUTHOR'S WORDS

It is a short chapter but I hope you enjoy it. I am still going back to write this story and although I have a defined horizon of it, I still have to refine the path and I am working on that.

4