Chapter 29 – Devil Blackbird
435 6 25
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

... The black mass is holding onto my sleeve.

No, it's not the black mass. I'm not sure what that is, but since there is blood around it, it should be dead already. That means something is alive in there. It's disgusting but let's bring it with me.

SQUISH.

Fucking disgusting! My movement is also slowed down just like the panther, this will be close. Whatever I grabbed is definitely moving, though. I finish casting the teleporting magic.

The panther already jumped while I was grabbing the small guy, but he is too late!

"HUIK!"

Teleporting while time is slowed down is super nauseating. While speaking of disgusting things, what did I grab anyway?

"Chirp!"

"A birdy?"

No way, that black mass was a bird before dying!

"Let me clean you, birdy."

Creating warm water with magic, I clean off the bird. Like the mass, this birdy is also black, maybe it was really a bird when it was still alive?

"Chirp, chirp!"

"Are you happy or are you sad?"

I feel like the bird wants to tell me something. Sadly, I have no idea what it is saying. Normally novel protagonists somehow understand what their animal companion wants to say, why don't I have that power?

My expert deduction is telling me that it is either happy that we got away or sad that its, presumably, parent or parents died. I still don't understand the black mass, normally monsters turn into item drops when they die, no? Maybe it is different when they get killed by other monsters?

"Chirp!!"

Whatever the bird is trying to tell me must be important...

"WWOOOUUUUU!!!" 1 No idea how panthers sound.

Isn't that the panther? But aren't I-- HM? Where am I?!

TCH! TCH! TCH! 2 Branches breaking onomatopoeia(?)

"Shi--!"

I quickly cast Teleport again, this time without the time slow.

 

*       *        *

 

This time we really are home.

"Haaaa... So that's what you wanted to tell me?"

"Chirp!"

The bird decides to sit on my shoulder. It seems smart at least, it probably also won't suddenly start fighting me.

First, I should heal up and get the poison out of my system, now that I think about it this is my first ever real wound. Feels shit. I have no healing skills or magic yet, nothing against poison either.

"Hey, Jubokko, wake up."

If she wakes up, she should be able to fix me up easily.

"Hey, wake up!"

"Chirp, chirp!"

"Mmmmm?"

"Wake up already, I'm dying here..."

I show the half-awake tree the wound on my chest.

"You look fine, isn't that just a small scratch?"

"Just heal me, please, and get rid of the poison too."

"Yeees, fine... Here you go."

She strokes my wound with her fingers after licking them. A green light appears and the wound quickly closes. I already feel much better, I'm no longer nauseous, and my mind is clear again too. I'm thankful, but why did she lick her finger?

"Does your healing skill only work with your saliva?"

"Hm? Not really?"

"Huh? Then why did you lick them?"

"Just because... Anyway, if that was all, I'm going to sleep again. Good night."

She turns around and closes her eyes.

"... Yeah, good night."

Why didn't I just eat a few herbs? I thought about them during the fight, but I didn't have a chance to eat them then. And after that, I seem to have forgotten? Was it because my mind was clouded by the poison? It could also be the stress, usually, you wouldn't think calmly when your life is in danger, would you? I have to reflect on myself once again.

I also want to build resistance skills as Jubokko has. But wouldn't I need to start self-torture to get them? I'm not exactly fond of poison, burning, or stabbing myself repeatedly to gain a skill. Maybe I'll think of something at some point.

"Chirp!"

Right, I should also check this guy.

Name Devil Blackbird
Level 370
Magic 4,600
Strength 800
Defense 1,200
Agility 6,000
Intelligence 1,800
Luck 2,100

"You really have an ominous name, don't you?"

Isn't this some big shot? It has both "Devil" and "Black" in its name. This guy is not even as big as my fist, but who knows what will happen once it grows. Considering the size of the black mass from before, it should get pretty big at least. I wonder how something like that got beaten...

"Since you are a blackbird, I'll call you Mayun, ok?"

"Chirp!"

Yeah, no clue what it is saying. But I won't let that stop me from giving it a fitting name!

Mayun is short for Gamayun. If I remember correctly that is the name of a Greek god bird, no, Siberian? Maybe it was Slavic too, who knows. I just remember that it was some important black-feathered bird.

I think I really deserve a break again. It's time to visit the royal capital once more, this time to have fun! If I can also get Silvia to teach me some more alchemy that would be great too, I should be able to get the skill now that I have mana.

"Do you want to stay here or come to the capital with me?"

"Chirp! Chirp, chirp!"

After a few random chirps, it flies off my shoulder and sits on Jubokko to sleep. This guy is really 'Free like a bird'. 3 Badly executed Beatles reference.

After a few minutes of meditation and a few recovery herbs, I feel completely fresh again. A quick breakfast later, I am ready to head out!

I wonder where I can teleport to? Siliva should be fine, I don't think she would do anything bad even if I told her everything about myself. But I can't teleport anywhere in her shop, since the attendants could see me. Then how about her room? Yeah, that sounds good, she should already be awake now, so I won't end up as a creep that enters a lady's room while she is asleep. 4 Still creep though ngl

I look at the two who are sleeping outside, doesn't seem like either of them decided to come after all. Looks like I'm going alone again this time too. After I finish casting, I enter Silvias room. I should quickly let her know about my arriv--

"Ahhnnnn!"

Hah?! What the-- Even if me coming here is somewhat of a creep move, but isn't she worse?!

 

 

This is one of those chapters that took me a week to write. I'm not sure, maybe I'm losing motivation because I'm no longer in rage? But on some days, I can still write 5+ chapters... It's probably fine <.<

MC is most definitely not ignoring the sudden time slow, don't sweat the details.

25