Chapter 37 – Defense measures
360 20 21
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

"Kruuu---!!"

[You leveled up]

Am I perhaps a glass cannon?

[You leveled up]

"Kruuuuu---!!"

My stats are pretty much the same overall, except for my high Luck. I have all kinds of offensive skills, but skills in the defensive category are extremely lacking number. The only ones I have are [Evade] and... that's it.

[You leveled up]

"KROOUUU--!!"

[You leveled up]

I should work on that somehow. If I were to convert skills into theoretical stat points, I'd turn my 12 thousand strength into 36 thousand and my Defense would stay 12 thousand.

[You leveled up]

"Kruuu---!! Oouuuu--!!"

[Striped Arachno Ape Leader]

Level: 650

Finishing the last monkey, I start collecting my loot. It is already night, so I should return to Silvia once I have everything.

Back to topic. Now That I'm aware of the problem, I should be thinking about how to solve the issue. What kind of skill could I learn to raise my defense? Let's come up with new potential skills in the defensive category.

Resistance skills? I don't want to hurt myself if I don't have to...

Something like Stone Skin? This is pretty much just a physical resistance skill.

...

Defensive maneuvers? I think that's part of martial arts skills. Unless I can get real training by someone skilled, I probably won't see a drastic growth at deflecting attacks.

I'm already running out of ideas...

I have a presence detection skill and can very roughly estimate my enemies’ power level compared to my total stat points. That helps me not get ambushed easily.

...

Yeah, that's all I can come up with when it comes to defending myself with skills. My next bet is magic, other than magic I can only think of items such as equipment and consumables.

As for magic, I'll have to try out many things, but the possibilities are endless. I could make magic armor that always surrounds me, magic shields, a magic barrier, magic walls...! Okay, those are all the same. Yes, the possibilities are indeed endless, but my creative mind is limited. Anyway, a type of magic barrier to give me a base level of protection sounds pretty good, hopefully, I can come up with a way to keep it up non-stop without straining my mental capacity too much. I'll try and create something useful when I'm free.

Now, armor. I used armor in the beginning, but using armor really limits my movement, not because it's heavy but because of how it's built. A padded jack would be a possibility, but I don't think a normal one would give me any real defensive value. I need magic armor! Perhaps it would be for the best if I checked a few stores for those the next time I visit the royal capital.

Name Fukuda Hiro
   
Occupation None
Race Human
Level 531
   
Magic 14,057
Strength 14,057
Defense 14,057
Agility 14,057
Intelligence 14,057
Luck 17,807
   
BP 0
   
Skills [Appraisal] [Item Box] [Martial Arts Mastery] [Social Mastery] [Nature Mastery] [Movement Mastery] [Mana Mastery] [Commonplace Mastery] [Special Combats Mastery] [Body and Mind Mastery] [Production Mastery] [Foresight] [XXX Mastery]
Titles

[Master of The Door] [Master of The House] [Otherworlder] [Person who visited a different world] [The greatest sage's apprentice] [Inheritor of the most powerful Magic Circuits]

I was considerably lucky and found not only one but two monster packs. Sadly, even with that great luck, it still wasn't enough to reach 100 thousand stat points before nightfall. 12 thousand are still missing. Still, I made great progress!

Until next time, I should probably look for a way to call the monsters to me instead of searching for them...

But for now, I should really return, I'll think about the complicated stuff another time and just have fun with Silvia!

 

*        *        *

 

In homeroom, we finally were told to choose which sports we were going to participate in during the Sports Exchange event on Friday. I'm not sure why they are doing this so late, but I'm not responsible for the planning, so it's not my problem.

"Chiaka, which sport will you participate in?"

"Judo."

"Really? Have you ever practiced Judo? Don't get me wrong, but in P.E. class you usually barely pass, no?"

Flexing her invisible biceps, she answers.

"Fufufu, that's because the class is too much below my level, I wouldn't want to crush my classmates, but I don't have that problem in the competition, so there is no reason to hold back anymore!"

"..."

"I know you would be fine, Hiro. But think about our classmates, would they even survive the brunt of my pure strength? You can't be reckless around these guys. You should never forget this, but, 'with great power comes great responsibility'1 In English!"

"... Sure."

"What will you participate in, though? You're pretty good at everything, too, right?"

"I'm thinking about Kendo, but I don't see it in the list..."

"Ah, yeah, that's on the second page."

"There's a second page?!"

Flipping the paper, I see that the list really continues. Just how big is that 'Sports Exchange event'??

"There it is."

She points at the word 'Kendo' on my form.

"Thanks."

Pointing at a different spot on my form, she continues explaining.

"No worries, there is also a more general 'Weapon Fighting' category you could join. Think of it as an MMA tournament, but with weapons."

"Oh, that's great, I think I'll join that one. Sounds much more interesting than just Kendo!"

"Mhm!"

Just as I was about to start continuing to fill out my form, Sakai-sensei came up to me. Seems like she was waiting for us to finish talking.

"Hiro, can we speak for a bit outside?"

"Mm, sure."

It's probably about the art class thingy, I don't know what else she'd want from me at this time.

...

"You probably already guess it, but it's about our 'secret little deal'. I had a talk with the class, and they'll split up for the painting, so you'll only show yourself to the girl!"

"Okay, but please don't wink creepily at me like that again."

"Yes, yes. By the way, I think I didn't tell you when it was, right?"

"Nope, you didn't give me any information whatsoever"

"And you still accepted? You must really love me! Hahaha"

"..."

"Cough-- A-Anyway, the class is tomorrow, you'll have to be there after homeroom. I'll accompany you, so don't worry about that. You'll be with the art class until school ends tomorrow. I already let your other teachers know about it, too."

"Hmm, that's pretty abrupt but whatever. Is it just that one time?"

"Yeah, whoever can't finish their painting by tomorrow can just finish it on their own the next time in class."

"I see."

"Now go back in, I still have a nice story to tell after you guys are done!"

"..."

 

 

 

Dear diary,

Today I learned about non-count nouns. Apparently, the word equipment doesn't have a plural form...

It was a shocking experience.

Yours truly,

the Author.

 

The last line of the announcement is actually an announcement, so make sure to read it!

No worries, I won't annoy you again with something this large. I swear.

 

Announcement
It's been 30 days since I started writing this novel! I can't believe I've held out so long!

Look, it's not like I didn't want to finish drawing this, I was simply a bit late noticing this. Anyway, thank you for all the support everyone~! Your favorites, comments, and positiveness really helped make me keep writing!

I've decided now, but commenting is not a competition! Leaderboard time!

Top commenters:

  1. Krasus: 28
  2. celestialbeing90: 22
  3. Smasher2020: 15
  4. grik1: 14
  5. Ryugin159: 10

Special mentions:

  1. Marunikyu: First comment!

Eh, thanks to those with big comments with some of whom I also have some conversations in the comments. I'm bad with names though, and I couldn't write a script to catch those names. But do know that I thank you all for those big and smart comments too! xD

 

Now with the thanks out of the way: Chapter releases will be only 3 times a week from now on, probably for a long while. I've been neglecting work and other personal projects to output a chapter/day, so that won't work until I have actually more free time. So, from now on the release schedule is: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday. 3 Chapters/week.

21