CHAPTER 2 – A Hero’s Skill. Part 1.
430 1 24
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

CHAPTER 2 - A Hero's Skill. Part 1.

I returned home and laid Yuik on the bed. The room was clean and well-lit, and the bed was soft and comfortable. She needed to rest after everything she had been through, so I left her alone for a moment. Meanwhile, I went to prepare something for her to eat. Something simple, a sandwich, since I don't know how to cook. I wanted her to feel at home.

She needed to rest in a comfortable place, as she most likely had been sleeping on the ground all this time. Lying down on a comfortable bed would make her realize that her life had changed and that her suffering was over.

After a few minutes, I returned to the room with a tray of food. I left it on the bedside table and asked her:

"Are you comfortable? Is the pillow soft?"

She was still trembling with fear and nodded timidly. I understood that it was normal for her not to trust me after everything that had happened, and I set out to show her that she had nothing to fear. Well, I'm a stranger to her, and considering everything she's been through, it's understandable that she doesn't trust me, someone she barely knows. She doesn't even have hope that I'm a good person, she surely thinks I plan to do something bad to her... Ah... Yes, she definitely thinks I want to do something bad to her. She knows she has been abused by many men, and that's why she doesn't trust men in general. I had to do something to make her trust me.

Suddenly, I saw Yuik starting to take off her clothes. I was worried because I thought I was misinterpreting the situation. Perhaps she thought I wanted to hurt her in some way.

I would never violate someone... At least my current self wouldn't.

I wish I could say the same about my past self, but I did worse things.

"No. Stop."

I quickly stopped her and stroked her head, trying to calm her down.

She is too used to every man who sees her abusing her. She doesn't trust anyone, let alone a man. I have to show her with actions that I don't intend to harm her.

"Don't worry, I won't do anything bad to you. I know it's difficult for you to trust someone, but you can trust me. Or at least try."

Despite my words, Yuik still trembled and was scared. I realized that I had to do something to gain her trust.

I'm like her. I suffered the same as she did. I want her to realize that my empathy for her is genuine, as we both have suffered the same.

It was time to talk to her about me, to tell her my story, or at least part of my story, omitting all the pain I myself have caused to millions of people throughout my life.

"In my past life... Well, in my first life, I was also abused, just like in my second life... But I managed to move on with my life. You can also start a new life."

It's difficult to accept that the suffering one has experienced doesn't disappear easily, and this is especially true for those who have suffered abuse and trauma. The person I'm referring to, a young vampire, had been subjected to abuse and torment by bandits who took pleasure in her suffering. The situation had left a deep scar on her mind and spirit, and even though she was now a physically healthy vampire thanks to my help, she couldn't shake off the pain that haunted her.

Despite her lack of trust in me, I remained willing to help her in any way I could. As her friend, I wanted to be by her side and do everything possible to prevent her from suffering again. However, I realized that I could not force her to trust me or to keep living if she did not want to. It was her life, her decision, and I had to respect her choice.

That was when I pulled out a knife with a special poison from my [Magic Storage]. I knew this might sound extreme, but I did it with the intention of offering her a choice.

"If you cut yourself with this, you will die immediately without feeling pain... When I analyzed your body, I realized many things. You caused many of your wounds yourself. They removed your teeth to prevent you from committing suicide, so you used your hands to cut your veins, and that's why they cut them. You had fractures in your skull, so you tried to kill yourself with blows to the head, but failed. Those bandits kept you alive to keep having fun... That's disgusting... That's why I'll give you two options. Number 1: Death. End your suffering right now and rest forever. Number 2: Start a new life... It's your decision... I recommend number 2. I know you've suffered a lot and just want to die, but you have the right to move forward with your life and forget the past... All people deserve to be happy. And it makes me sad to know that you will die without having been happy... I can see in your eyes that you have suffered all your life. How do I know? Because you have the same look I had in my first life. If you stay by my side as my friend, I guarantee that you will never suffer again and you will have a normal and comfortable life, without pain, but if you no longer want to keep living and finally want to die, then choose number 1. It's your life, it's your decision."

I explained to her that if she cut her skin with that knife, she would die immediately without feeling pain. I told her that I understood her suffering and did not want to see her continue to suffer. But I also offered her the option of starting a new life, forgetting her past, and moving on. I wanted her to be happy and live a life without pain and suffering.

I lifted my hair so she could see my eyes better. It is said that eyes confirm when a person is lying or telling the truth. I want her to realize that everything I am telling her is the truth, I am not lying to her. I really do want her to be my friend. I don't see her as a sexual object. I just want to be her friend... I just want to have a friend...

I said all this in the hope that she would make the right decision. I wanted her to know that I was sincere and really wanted to be her friend. I asked her to look into my eyes so she could see the truth in them. I was a man who had made many mistakes in the past, but had changed and wanted to make up for my actions. I wanted to have a true friend, and that's what I wanted most in the world.

I handed her the knife, and she held it trembling. I watched carefully, knowing that she was making one of the most difficult decisions of her life. Finally, she put the knife to her neck and seemed ready to move forward. But then she hesitated.

I felt sad for her, knowing that life had been too cruel to her. But I also told her that although life can be painful at times, there are many things that make it worth living. I talked to her about friends, love, nature, entertainment, and the pleasure of rest. I wanted her to know that there were many things she could enjoy in life, and that she didn't have to give them up.

In the end, she made her decision and I respected it. She is determined to die.

"... I guess you've made up your mind... I'll respect your decision... I'll prepare a coffin. I just want to tell you one last thing. I'll say it again. Life may seem painful to you, but that doesn't mean it always will be. Friends, love, nature, entertainment, the pleasure of rest. There are so many things worth experiencing and enjoying in life. But... I hope you'll be happy in paradise.

Because if they don't accept you in paradise for being saved by me, I'll kick the ass of the God who prevented your entry into paradise myself.

"It was nice to meet you."

I left the room and sighed.

"I really wanted her to be happy."

No one saved me, but at least I was able to save her.

That won't erase the mistakes I made, but at least it makes me feel a little better about myself.

I want to be happy, and I don't want my past to ruin my life.

I have everything ready. I must bury her body in the forest. I will give her a dignified burial and then I will ask that useless Goddess if she went to paradise. If they sent her to hell or tried to eliminate her soul just because I was the one who saved her, I might end up killing another God.

I entered the room... Huh?

"What are you doing?"

She is standing, observing her hands and legs. Appreciating her healthy body? Regretting her suicide? Her expression hasn't changed, but her fear has decreased, at least a little.

Have you thought better of your actions? I hope so. I want to be your friend and give you a happy life. I want you to have a normal life, just like I am having.

If a monster like me is having a normal life, she can have a normal and peaceful life too, without pain.

"Don't you want to die?"

She shook her head.

"... Do you want to start a new life...? Wait, please."

I took out a pencil and paper from my [Magic Storage] and handed it to her. This will facilitate our communication. I hope she knows how to write.

"Write what you want to say. Can you write and read?"

She nodded and began to write.

She handed me the paper and I read it.

It says: "I want to pay you back for what you did for me. You look sad. I want to be your friend."

Wow. Can you tell I'm not happy...? Well, I'm finally having a normal life, but I don't have friends and I live with the feeling of guilt, for living a normal life despite not deserving it.

Having friends is something I want to have, so I don't live a lonely life and feel loved. I also want to have a wife, but it's difficult for me to fall in love, because I stopped believing in love... No... I didn't stop believing in love... I stopped believing that I deserve to be loved.

But she says she wants to pay me back for what I did for her. I don't want that. I don't want her to do something she doesn't want to do just because I want her to keep living.

"... It's not necessary, I won't force you to live. It's your life, it's your decision. Please, think carefully about what you want to do with your life and don't think about what others want."

She shook her head and approached me.

I handed her the paper and she wrote the following: "I will go to hell if I commit suicide, and I want to see my younger siblings again... I must not commit suicide. Please, be my friend. I don't want to be alone. I also want to be your friend."

Her family is dead, as I suspected. They were probably victims of a bandit attack in her village.

"Are your siblings dead?"

She nodded... I see.

...

I know Gods in person... There is paradise and hell, but no matter how you die, only the actions you did while you were alive matter.

If she dies, she will most likely go to paradise... But I'm prohibited from mentioning that I know Gods... And my words won't convince her. The Rauk church forbids suicide. Yuik believes in that God. Her family must have been very religious. Names with a "K" at the end are very common for believers of the God Rauk.

Tsk. Stupid shitty God. People's lives are theirs, they decide what to do with their lives, not you. I no longer feel guilty for doing what I did to you in the ass.

... But she tried to commit suicide more than once... Her desperation and pain forced her to make that decision despite it being prohibited by her God.

She was truly living in a hellish existence.

" ... Do you trust me?"

She nodded yes.

I don't feel like she's lying, but she's not telling the truth either. She doesn't trust me as much, but enough to try and be my friend... Thank you.

If only she knew how happy she has made me just by saying that, a happiness I haven't felt in a long time.

" ... You won't betray me, will you?"

She shook her head no... She's not lying... She's not deceiving me.

She's not capable of betraying me.

" ... Thank you. Seriously, thank you so much."

I would hug her, but I shouldn't touch her too much, it might make her uncomfortable.

She didn't commit suicide because she wants to see her siblings again. She's putting all her hope in me, hope that she's regained. I can see in her eyes that she doesn't fully trust me yet, but I promise to earn her trust with actions, not just words. Her gaze hasn't changed and she's still trembling. She hopes that I'm a good person... If she suffers again, she'll lose all hope again and commit suicide. I must avoid making her uncomfortable at all costs. I won't allow her to suffer again.

And I'll kill anyone who bothers her without hesitation, regardless of their gender, age or social status.

"I promise I won't harm you... I want you to be happy," I said, smiling.

I raised my hand and she closed her eyes tightly... She thought I was going to hit her.

"Don't worry, you won't suffer again."

I gently stroked her head.

"Not all of us are bad. Let's go eat dinner."

I walked away from her. I need to earn her trust. It'll take a long time, but I can do it.

I turned to look at her. She's walking with her gaze lowered... She has suffered so much. I want her to be happy, and I'll do everything I can to make her happy. I want to see a genuine smile on that pretty face.

... "Not all of us are bad"? Yes, that's true, but... Ah... I want to be a good person, but I've done so many horrible things in my life that I don't deserve the chance for redemption. My current self considers me a good person, but my past will always haunt me. My mistakes will never disappear.

I better stop thinking about that. Now I'm Dreimo, a librarian, not a hero, much less a villain.

Just a humble librarian who wants to have friends.

24