Chapter 21
11 0 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

I opened my eyes. I was still in the room but Elijah was sleeping next to me.

 I got up and went to the door. I tugged at it but it didn't budge. 

"What are you doing?" Elijah asked from behind me.

I spun around and saw him sitting up lazily. 

"Trying to get out." I answered honestly.

"Get out? Why? It's perfect here. Just us two, away from danger . . . Come on, don't you want to stay?"

"Stay?! No!"

"Why not?"

"I have a life outside of this torture you know."

Elijah was silent for a moment then he stood and walked to me.

"Thomas . . . " He put his hands on my shoulders. 

"Don't touch me Elijah!" I gritted my teeth and turned away from him.

"Thomas . . ."

"Shut up!" I put my head in my hands then leaned it against the wall.

A hand was placed on my shoulder.

"I'm sorry. I don't want to be here either, but we HAVE to act."

"Why?"

"If we don't they'll take us away from each other."

I stopped and looked at him, "Away?"

"Yeah."

"We can't let that happen. Fine, I'll act. But only because of that. You're the only one I left."

Elijah smiled them hugged me. I was surprised and patted his back awkwardly.

I heard his laugh. I backed away, "Elijah . . ."

"What's wrong?"

"I . . . I think I still love Liam. I mean you have Mason, what happened to him?"

"I'm not completely sure. I think he might be straight."

"Mason . . . ? Or . . . Liam?"

"Mason." 

"Oh, thank God." I heaved out a sigh of relief.

"But Thomas . . . I love you . . . Not Mason."

"But I don't know if I love you back." It took me a second before I registered how much my words probably hurt.

Elijah stepped away from me and went to the bed, "You want out?"

"Yes."

"The bookshelf." 

There was a small bookshelf in the room that I had assumed was bolted to the wall.

"What about it?"

"Behind it. There is a way out."

"Why didn't you say anything before?!" I said with excitement, "Come on, let's go!"

"No Thomas. I'm staying."

"You're what?"

"You heard me. I like it here."

"Like it here?! So you're just gonna abandon us because you LIKE it here?!"

"I'm surprised you don't."

"Why would I?! D.A.N.G.E.R.O.U.S runs this place! They took our friends away from us and they tried to KILL me and you're SURPRISED I DON'T LIKE IT HERE?!" My voice had risen louder than I had intended.

Elijah tensed for a moment, "Well I'm sorry but at least we're safe here."

"You don't know that. At any moment they could come in here and kill you like they tried to do with me."

"No they won't Thomas!"

"AND HOW DO YOU KNOW THAT?!" 

"I don't Thomas! I don't!"

"THEN WHY-"

"Will you quit yelling so loud?" Elijah shook his head almost angrily.

I groaned, "You know, I don't care anymore! I'm leaving. Goodbye." I went to the bookshelf and pushed it aside. 

Just as Elijah had said there was a passageway. I wasn't sure where it led but at least it was away from the room.

"Good luck." Elijah called to me softly but I barely heard it.

The passageway was dark and the only source of light was the area I had come from. I turned to look back, debating if this was a good idea. I saw Elijah standing there, his hand on the bookshelf.

"What are you-"

He threw the bookshelf shut and suddenly my only light source disappeared and I was left in the dark.

I froze and suddenly fear swept to me. What had Elijah just done?! I was now in a dark cold passageway.

"Who's there?" A voice called out from somewhere down the passageway.

"Who are you?!" My voice was loud as to act tough but I was shaking with fear.

Silence. Of course they didn't answer. They probably worked for D.A.N.G.E.R.O.U.S and I wasn't supposed to know that they were there.

"Hello?" I called out.

"Who's there?" The question was repeated.

I thought for a moment, "My name is Thomas. Who are you?"

"Ester."

"Ester?" I paused a moment, "How old are you Ester?"

"I'm 5." 

Suddenly guilt swept over me. I was scared of this person well they were just a kid and probably more scared of me then I was of them.

"D-do you work for D.A.N.G.E.R.O.U.S?" Esterxs voice was shaky.

"No." I shook my head then remembered they probably couldn't see me, "Do you?"

"No . . . Well kind of."

"What do you mean?"

"D.A.N.G.E.R.O.U.S brought me in when I was a baby. They Saud my mother has died but hadn't told me how. I didn't understand what a mother was. They said I was a bad girl so that's why I'm here."

"When did you get here?"

"I think a couple weeks ago. I can't tell."

I paused. D.A.N.G.E.R.O.U.S really was wicked. They brought a 5 year old into a dark passageway because she had been a "bad girl"? 

"What did you do for them to say you were a 'bad girl'?"

"I didn't finish my milk."

"Seriously?" I couldn't keep the words from escaping my lips.

"Yes. I've been here before. That was when I-" 

A wooshing sound came and a blood curdling scream and then silence.

"Ester? Ester?"

Nothing.

A screen came in front of me. 

'You saw nothing. You heard nothing. Nothing happened. This was all a dream.'

Suddenly I blinked then I forgot where I was and what has just happened. I felt woozy and I passed out.

2