Chapter 11
34 4 3
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

We stopped at a small doorway. Commander X opened the door, a freezing cold breeze came in through the opening. I took a step back,

“Where does that go to?” I asked.

“Outside.” Commander X answered.

“It’s freezing.” I muttered.

“Who cares?” Commander X shrugged as he put on a heavy coat and gloves, “You’ll live.” He glanced at me, in a t-shirt and jeans, “Barely.” He shrugged, clearly not caring.

My skin went cold without the wind. I breathed in, struggling to do so. My life was falling apart. I was taken away from my friends. Liam didn’t like me anymore. Commander X was being more cruel than ever and he was holding me captive. It couldn’t get worse unless I died.

“Let’s go.” Commander X’s voice was muffled and I looked up to see him wearing a cloth face mask to warm his face. 

“But I’ll freeze out there!” I finally found my voice, “Haven’t you done enough?! You’ve ruined my life!” 

“It’s not like you liked them!” Commander X yelled back.

“Well for your information, I loved Liam! He was my life. Elijah was my best friend. And Mason was like a brother to me.” 

Commander X froze, staring behind me, “You're gonna ignore me now?!” I yelled out.

A bolt of electricity sped past me, hitting Commander X. I spun around to see where it came from. Liam stood there holding the strange device from earlier. He blew smoke off the top. Elijah and Mason were behind him. 

“You didn’t hit him.” Elijah muttered.

“Ya I bloody didn’t!” Liam whooped.

Mason came running over, “Glad you're okay dude.” He patted my back.

“But . . . “ I looked at Liam, “I thought you . . .” I glanced around, “You saved me? I thought you didn’t like me anymore . . .” I snapped my eyes shut and took a deep breath in and opened them again. They were still all standing there.

“Thought we would disappear?” Liam asked.

“Honestly?” 

“Honestly.” Liam grinned.

“Yeah I did.”  I nodded.

Liam laughed.

“Clearly I was wrong.” I admitted.

“Yeah.” Elijah agreed.

“Did you seriously think I didn’t?” Liam asked.

I nodded.

“At the time, I will admit, I did.” Liam said, “But I thought it over. When I didn’t have you . . . I fell apart.” He played with the device in his hands, “I had really believed that you liked Mason but after what you just said . . . “ He sighed.

Mason looked at Liam, “Besides dude. I don’t like Thomas either way.” He pointed at Elijah, “I prefer him.” Mason grinned.

“What?!” Elijah jumped back, bright red.

I walked over to Liam and hugged him tightly. I heard the clatter of the device being dropped and he hugged me back. 

“I’ll take that.” I heard Mason say and I opened my eyes to see him picking up the device.

“I’m sorry.” I heard Liam mumble.

“For what?” I asked, pulling away.

Liam pulled out a device and put it on the ground and stepped on it.

He morphed into a person I didn’t know.

“For this.” He came over and punched me in the gut.

I doubled over and I felt a bang on my head. I passed out. 

I woke up in a small room. The people from before were surrounding me. One was looking at me and the others were talking,

“He’s awake boss.” The person who was looking at me said,

“Good.” The person who had been Liam said.

“Who are you?” I muttered.

“I’m David. This is Caleb,” He pointed at the person staring down at me, “And this is Noah.” He pointed at the person next to him. Noah waved.

“What do you want?” I asked, my head pounding.

“We were just curious how you would react.” David answered with a shrug.

“Can I go?” I asked.

“No.” Caleb said sternly.

“Why?” 

“Because we said so.” Caleb came close to my face.

“Were the people that I saw actually my friends? You know, from the room?” 

“Yes.” Caleb seemed to be my source of answers.

“But not from the hallway?” 

“No. That was us.” 

“Okay.” I said, feeling satisfied with my answers.

“Now, I’m gonna need you to stay still, alright?” Noah pulled on some rubber gloves.

“But-” I began.

“Shut up! No more questions!” Caleb yelled. 

I felt myself go cold and I stayed silent.

“Now, I’m going to be giving you a shot. Alright?” Noah went over to a tray and picked up a needle, examining it.

“What’s it gonna do?” I asked.

“Nothing important.” Noah answered.

“Besides, you don’t need to know.” Caleb said, staring me hard in the face.

“I was just wondering.” I muttered, “Don’t gotta be so rude.”

“Trust me we do.” David rolled his eyes.

“Will I ever see my friends again?” I felt a pang of sadness go through me when I realized the scene with Liam in the room actually happened.

“Maybe.” Caleb answered.

“Was that actually Commander X that you shot? If so, then why?”

“Yes it was. We’ve had a grudge on him for a while ever since . . .” Caleb paused, “ever since something happened.”

“Okay. Stay still. It’ll hurt less if you do.” Noah came over.

He was about to push the needle into me when I kicked him in the groin,

“Sorry.” I said sarcastically.
I grabbed the needle from his hand and dodged Caleb to go to David and stuck the needle into him and he fell to the ground. 

Caleb came over and tackled me,

“Get off of me!” I yelled, struggling under his grip.

I pushed him off and went back to David. I saw the device and grabbed it. I turned back over and shot Caleb just before he got up.

Noah had recovered and came over slowly, “Slow down there champ. We’re not trying to hurt you.” He held up his hands.

“Says the person who tried to inject me with that stuff! Look what it did to you ‘boss’ David!” I motioned towards David’s body lying still and stiffly.

“It just makes you unconscious!” Noah yelled out.

“You just don’t want me to shoot you.” I said.

“No! I’m being serious!” Noah sounded desperate.

“STOP LYING!!!” I yelled as loud as I could.

“I’m not ly-” Noah couldn’t finish because he was laying on the ground, crackling and sparking with electricity.

“Why me?” I muttered and threw the device on the ground. 

I got up and looked around, heading for the door. I opened it and looked down the hall, remembering how to get to Liam, Mason and Elijah’s room. I went towards it. I found it and read the sign. ‘Subjects A-2 B-3 E-6’. 

“Here goes nothing.” I muttered and knocked on the door.

Of course, no answer. I slapped my forehead and opened the door. 

“What are you doing here?” Elijah came over and hugged me.

“This is actually you right?” I asked.

“Yeah . . . why wouldn’t it be, think imma ghost?” Elijah laughed.

“Yep, it’s him.” I thought.

“DUDE! I THOUGHT YOU WERE A GONER!” Mason came running over, pulling me into a hug for the first time.

“So did I.” I agreed.

“Liam got put out of the room.” Elijah said, “We were told that he was going to see a doctor. He wasn’t doing well. He was banging his head against the walls, groaning, muttering to himself, he was bruised all over.”

“What?! When will he be back!?” I felt panic fill me, “What if they do something to him? What if they hurt him? What am I going to do?!” I groaned in frustration.

“Dude. Chill. They said he would be back soon.” Elijah sighed and shook his head.

“NO! THEY WERE OF COURSE LYING! THEY’RE GONNA HURT HIM!” I yelled at Elijah as loud as my lungs could manage.

A loud squeaking noise filled the air. I heard a grunt and a thump and then the door slammed shut again. I spun around and saw Liam on the ground. Beaten up. He coughed and pushed himself up onto his knees. He began rocking himself. He stopped and pulled his knees to his chest and put his face in them. His body shook with sobs that filled the already horrible air. I ran to him and hugged him,

“S-stop.” I heard him cry out, “S-stop try-ing to comfo-” He coughed, “-rt me.” 

“Shh.” I muttered.

“STOP!” He managed to muster up that one word without sobbing, “ELI-JAH S-STOP!” 

“I’m not Elijah.” I said, pushing away.

“Then . . . “ He paused and looked up, “Thomas?” His face was red and buffy and tears still streamed down his face, “I thought you’d never wanna see me again.” He started sobbing again.

“No, no, no. Of course not. You're my life” I looked at Mason and Elijah, “And you're my brother and best friend.” I smiled.

Liam bolted up and wiped away tears.

“What’s wrong?” I asked.

“I’m sorry. I’m being stupid.” Liam sighed.

“No you're not. We all hate it here and we all missed Thomas.” Elijah sat down.

“Mhm” Mason nodded.

“Hey, isn't the door unlocked?” I asked.

“Well . . . I don’t think so-” Liam walked over to the door, “I guess it’s worth a shot.” He tugged at the door and it swung open.

“Why didn’t we try that before?” Elijah asked.

“Cause we thought it was locked I guess?” Mason shrugged.

“Well, let’s bloody get going.” Liam walked out of the door.

“Wait!” I yelled.

“What?” Liam turned to face me.

“Careful.”

"For what?" Liam scoffed, "We're fine." 

"There are probably traps." 

"Sure." Liam rolled his eyes and took a step forward. The panel that he stepped on went down and a axe came charging from behind him,

"See? Nothing is-" I ran over and nailed Liam to the ground as the axe went past us at our heads, "happening." Liam finished,staring at the spot that he had been, "Thanks."

"AGAIN. CAREFUL." I said the words slowly, acting as if he was in kindergarden.

"Oh shut up!" Liam pushed me away playfully.

I laughed and stood up.

“Let’s hope that doesn’t happen again.” Elijah stepped slowly out of the room and looked around.

“Well there aren’t gonna be any here doofus.” I sighed.

“You never know!” Elijah shot back angrily.

“Yeah I do.” I answered smoothly.

“Oh really?” Elijah walked towards me, “You know, you don’t know everything!” He pushed me angrily.

“Elijah! Calm down!” Mason yelled out.

“Stop babying me!” Elijah yelled back at Mason, his eyes glazed over.

“What is wrong with you?” Mason said, the fear clear in his voice.

“Everything! You Thomas always ruin everything! If you had never shown up, everything would have gone how it was supposed to! We wouldn’t be here! Sure we would be captives of Commander X but it’s way better than running from him, being scared of our every move!” 

I walked over to Elijah and grabbed him by his shoulders and slapped him hard in the face. His eyes went back to normal and he coughed.

“What . . . '' Elijah groaned, “Ugh . . . my head hurts.” 

“Better?” I asked.

“Yeah.” Elijah groaned again.

Mason came over and pulled Elijah into a hug, “I wasn’t trying to.” He muttered.

Liam quietly came up behind me and put his hand on my shoulder. I looked at him, “Hey.” He said quietly.

“Hi.” I looked at the floor.

“He didn’t mean it.” 

“Yes he did. And he’s right. This is all my fault. You would all be safe if it weren’t for me.” 

“But if it wasn’t for you, we would be captives. And I’d be all alone.” Liam stared at me, clearly holding in tears.

“You’d have Mason though.” I pointed out.

“I never liked him like that.” Liam’s lower lip trembled.

“At least you’d have SOMEONE!” I yelled, “You’d be safe! Without ME you’d be safe!”

Liam broke into a full sob, “Do-on’t lea-ve m-me!” He gripped me into a tight hug, “Don’t ple-ease!” His wet face moistened my t-shirt. I hugged him back.

“I won’t leave you.” I promised.

I felt him nodding.

“What’s going on?” Mason came over.

“I’m sure it’s nothing we should be concerned about.” Elijah went over to Mason. 

“Alright.” Mason was clearly suspicious and extremely tense.

Elijah took Mason’s hand.

“It’s fine.” Elijah smiled and Mason relaxed and looked up at Liam hugging me,

“Wait . . . were you crying?” Mason’s eyes widened and he took a step forward, “I’ll let you know that’s my best friend there! If you hurt him, I swear I’ll-” 

“Mason!” Elijah snapped, “Just be quiet already!” Elijah breathed heavily, “I’m still here ya know!” 

“Elijah, I know it’s just-” 

“It’s just what Mason?! You only care about Liam! It’s like I don’t even exist.” Elijah turned away and ran down the hall.

“Elijah! STOP!” I yelled out, “You're gonna activate a-” Elijah stepped on a platform and a boulder came crashing down.

“Elijah! No!” Mason started crying and ran over towards the boulder, “Come on, 

Please . . . “ He pushed around the boulder.  

I heard a sob and saw Elijah standing up covering his face. He ran to Mason hugging him,

“You're okay!” Mason yelled out but Elijah kept crying into him.

I stood silent staring at the boulder. I walked over to it. It looked man made, carved all so smoothly.  I ran my hand over it.

“What’s wrong?” Liam asked.

“This is man made.” 

“What’s the big deal with that?” Liam touched my arm.

“It could have the name.” I ran my head all around and felt a carving at the tip of my fingers. I crouched and looked at the brand. D.A.N.G.E.R.O.U.S .

“Danger,Attack,Nuclear,Generator,Experiment,Round,One,Usa,Site.” I muttered.

“What?”

“Danger,Attack,Nuclear,Generator,Experiment,Round,One,Usa,Site” I repeated it louder.

“What’s that?”  Liam looked extremely confused.

“That’s what D.A.N.G.E.R.O.U.S stands for.” I pointed to the spot.

“How do you know that?” Liam asked, taking a step back.

“Some dude named Dr. Nickelo told me.” I explained.

“Who’s-” 

“No time right now.” I stood.

“Why does this matter again?” Liam asked.

“That means they’re setting us up. This is a trap. They knew we would leave, they unlocked the door on purpose.” I answered.

“What?!” Liam jumped over and clung onto me.

“Calm down.” I tried to act calm, but it wasn’t very good, “Mason! Elijah! Come here!” I yelled out. 

They both came over, Elijah still in Mason’s arms.

“What’s wrong?” Mason asked.

“This is all a trap.” I said smoothly, “We were set up. They unlocked the door on purpose, they set these traps, on purpose. This is all on purpose.” I glanced at Elijah, staring at me.

Elijah let go of Mason, “Thomas . . . I’m sorry.” 

“I know.” I said and my heart sank at him bringing it up. 

Elijah looked hurt.

“So what do we do about it?” Mason asked in a gruff voice.

“I’m not sure.” I said and turned to face away from everyone, “I’m not sure.” I repeated.

“We prepare.” Liam took a step forward, “Together.” Liam glanced at me.

I smiled. 

“And how do you expect us to do that?” Mason seemed like he was trying his best to defend Elijah.

“Listen.” I stepped towards Mason, “I realize you don’t exactly like me right now but you're going to have to suck up cause we need to get through this together. Alright?”

"Okay." Mason sighed. 

I looked at the boulder. I sighed angrily and pounded my fist against it and the boulder cracked. The crack spread throughout the boulder until it turned into dust.

"What that supposed to happen?" Mason asked.

"Nope." Elijah said as he stepped towards the dust. 

He bent down and touched it. A type of electric crackle spread through his body and he fell backwards. Not moving.

3