Chapter 12
13 0 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

"Elijah?!" Mason yelled out and pulled Elijah away from the dust.

Elijah's eyes snapped open and he fell away from the dust. 

"Are you alright?" Liam asked, crouching down.

Elijah nodded, "Things are NOT going well for me."

"You can say that again." I put out a hand to help him up.

He took it and I tugged him up so that he was standing. He was shaking violently.

"Are you sure you're okay?" Mason asked.

"F-fine . . . " Elijah glanced at the dust, "What is that stuff?"

"I'm assuming it's the stuff they put in those devices." I answered.

"What devices?" Liam asked.

"The ones that shoot electricity? Oh wait . . . you didn't see them did you?"

"No." Mason shook his head.

"You have a lot to explain." Liam said.

"I guess so." I glanced around, "But not here."

"Where then?" Liam asked.

"Somewhere safe?" I shrugged.

"Like there is a safe place here." Mason rolled his eyes.

"You don't know that!" I pointed out.

"Who said I didn't?!" 

"Shut up!" Elijah yelled. 

We both fell silent. 

"What about the way you came from Thomas?" Liam asked as he gently placed a hand on my shoulder.

"No. The people who captured me are probably awake now . . . if not they are still there so, no." 

"Okay. Anyone else have any other ideas?" Liam looked at Elijah and Mason.

Mason shook his head and Elijah said,

"No." 

"What happened to Commander X?" Mason asked.

"I'm not completely sure . . . but for all I know, he's dead." I answered quietly. 

"Then why is he standing right there?" Elijah asked as he took a step back.

"Right where?" I turned and saw that Elijah was right.

Commander X was at the end of the hallway, a dagger in his hand. He looked ready to throw it. He leaned it backwards and threw it.

"DUCK!!!" Mason yelled and we all crashed to the ground. 

The knife wizzed above our heads. 

"That was close." Elijah muttered.

"Guys get up and run! He's coming towards us!" Liam alerted us and we all darted up and started running down the hall. 

We ran until they got to a dead end and Elijah spun around then stopped. 

"What . . . ?" He muttered.

"What's wrong?" I turned. 

Commander X was gone and instead of him was a solid wall. 

"Great." Mason sighed. 

"Guess we have to go in this door." Liam said.

"What door?" I asked as I looked where he was pointing I saw a small door, "When did that get there?" I yelped.

"Magic." Elijah nodded as he said so.

"Uh-huh." Liam stared at him.

I went over and tugged at the door. It opened quietly. 

"Let's go then." I stepped inside and looked around at the pitch black room. 

I walked in deeper and everyone else followed me. A loud slam alerted us all that the door closed.

"Who closed the door?!" I called out.

"No one! It closed on it's own!"  We had to yell to hear each other but other than hearing each other I had no idea who it was. 

"Alright!" I replied. 

Four bright lights filled the room and I had to squint to be able to see. I allowed myself to adjust and then I looked at what the lights were showing. Four waist-high pillars were there, each had a screen on it's side that each had one of their names. Elijah went over towards the pillar that said his name.

"Cool." He looked up, "Hey guys I'm famous!" He exclaimed.

Mason smirked. 

We all headed towards our pillars.

"WELCOME."

They all stopped and glanced around, "Where did that come from?" Mason wondered out loud. 

"THIS IS ONE OUT OF THREE TESTS YOU WILL HAVE TO PASS FOR THIS ROUND." The voice boomed, "YOU MUST CHOOSE WISELY." All of a sudden things appeared on the pillars in front of them. The signs that said their names changed to the names of the items. 

Elijah's was a full meal, Liam's were bow and arrows, Mason's was a simple glass of water. All of the things were multiplied by three. I stared down at my own. Three green bottles filled with clear liquid. I stared at the sign. It read, "POISON". I stepped back.

"What are these?!" I called out.

"YOUR GREATEST DESIRES." The voice replied. 

I stopped and stared at the bottles. 

"ONLY ONE OUT OF THE THREE ARE ACTUALLY WHAT YOU WANT. GUESS WISELY." A clicking sound filled the air. 

Mason took a sip of one of the glasses,

"It's nothing. See I'm-" His skin turned pale and he fell to the ground. 

Instantly Elijah's desire changed from a meal to three pink bottles. The label read, "HEALING POTION" Elijah grabbed one and ran to Mason. He poured it into his mouth and Mason's eyes fluttered open seconds later. He coughed and looked around.

Elijah pulled him into his arms. 

Liam stared at his and picked the middle one. He strung it and pointed it out in the open. He let go of the arrow and it went flying. It hit a wall. 

"I think I'm good. Seems normal." 

I stared at mine, "How am I supposed to test this?" I asked.

"What did you get?" Liam asked as he came over to look. 

He stared at the sign and then looked at me surprised. 

"You want poison?!" He asked.

"I guess so. Don't know why." I grabbed one and opened it.

I sniffed it and instantly pulled away from the putrid smell. 

"Ugh!" I groaned and screwed the cap back on. 

Liam took it and opened it again. He let a drop fall on the floor. It sizzled and burned the flooring. 

"This is the poison." Liam confirmed and handed the bottle back as he screwed the lid on. 

"Okay . . . " I stared at it in his open hands. 

"Take it." He ordered.

I took it and stared at it in my hands, still confused on why I got poison. I glanced at Elijah and Mason. Elijah was helped Mason up. Mason looked at me and attempted a smile.  I looked back down at the poison and shoved it in my pocket. 

"Are you okay Mason?" I asked and finally officially looked at them.

"Fine. Just nearly died there. It's nothing. Elijah got my back." Mason looked at Elijah, "Thank you."

Elijah nodded, "I'm just glad you aren't dead." 

Mason laughed briefly. 

"What did you guys get?" Elijah asked.

Liam held up his bow then looked at me nervously.

"Um . . . I got . . ." I looked down at the bottle in my pocket, "Just water. I was thirsty." I smiled.

Liam frowned, "Yeah . . . just water." 

Elijah and Mason nodded and then started talking.

Liam pulled me away from them, 

"Why'd you lie?" Liam asked.

"I don't want them to know that I got poison. They're gonna ask questions and probably wonder why I have it. They'll think I'm gonna try and kill them." I fought tears hoping Liam wouldn't notice. 

Liam came over and wiped at the tear that fell. He put his free hand on my shoulder and kissed my forehead,

"It's alright. I know you aren't trying to kill them . . . or me . . . I hope." 

"I'm not!" I instantly protested.

"Alright. I believe you." He smiled and hugged me.

I wrapped my arms around him, but the dread filled me. 

I tried hard to breath but it was difficult. Liam pulled away and walked back to Elijah and Mason. I stayed where I was.

Why did I have poison? DID I want to kill someone?

 

2