There Is No Beginning
17 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

My existence is seeming a cruel ploy by some deity.

 

I don’t really have a beginning to my story, or well I probably do, but it’s been so long now that I can’t be bothered to remember it. So we can just start my story from any point. For example…

 

“Oi, get up. Her Highness wishes for your presence.”

 

From the sound of such a remark, you might think that I’m quite blessed. ‘A VIP, a princess! She wishes for my presence! You must be quite important that even a princess would want your presence.’

 

If that’s what you got from that statement, then you only heard the second half of it. The knight started with ‘Oi, get up.’ Yes, he along with many others maintain this attitude around me.

 

Well, no matter. While I haven’t quite decided my next course of action, I’ve always been good at thinking on the fly. So, I get up and follow Knight A. I mean, he probably has a name, but I can’t be bothered to remember it.

 

After exiting the room of confinement, I made my way to our VIP’s room.

 

“Your Highness, I’ve brought him.”

 

“Excellent! You can leave. My beloved Kale wouldn’t be so silly as to cause any problems even without you here.” The VIP gave Knight A a smile and Knight A left us to our own devices, with a look of pity on his face.

 

VIP stands for Very Insane Person. Yes, this chick was insane. Even Knight A didn’t question her words and left me, whom he probably considers a ‘dangerous individual’ alone with ‘Her Highness.’

 

The VIP simply gestured to a seat across from her at a petite table. I took a seat, despite knowing I would probably regret doing so. No words left either of our mouths, but the silence probably made my predicament all the more nerve-racking.

 

Though, this ‘calm before the storm’ was probably not entirely a bad thing. It gave me time to consider my next action. And finally, I broke the silence.

 

“Aris, you’re too boring. Can I leave?”

 

I didn’t get a verbal response, but instead a shaking head sealed my escape route. Well, no matter. Such a response was to be expected.

 

I took a teacup which had been prepared just for me and poured hot water into it, However, I wasn’t making tea. Instead I brought it up to my face, and…

 

Swiftly turned around and threw the cup behind me!

 

The cup full with hot water flew through the air for around 3 meters before disappearing as if it was never there to begin with. That was because the area I occupied was essentially a different dimension.

 

If leaving was as simple as walking away, why would I ask her to leave beforehand?

 

“Can I get another teacup?” I asked her with the same smile she had plastered on her face for who knows how long now. As if the universe had answered my request, a cup identical to the one I had just thrown immediately appeared in front of me, even filled with the same hot water! I had wanted to use that opportunity to escape under the guise of getting a new cup, but of course she wasn’t that stupid.

 

And so, our silent war continued. A war with that had 0 casualties so far, yet somehow was far more terrible than even the bloodiest wars. Yes, I’d rather be on a battlefield littered with corpses, screams of agony and despair echoing in the background. Sadly, I wasn’t so fortunate and was instead stuck in a room with the VIP.

 

And after a few more attempts to escapes using excuses and similar tactics, I finally caved in and asked her the question. The most important question of this entire ordeal.

 

“What do you want?”

 

And after a brief pause that instead felt like it lasted an eternity, a verbal answer finally left her mouth.

 

“Your life.”

 

My smile grew. I had won the war. For even this insane but genius princess had made a great error.

 

And so, I ended my own life.

0