Chapter 14: The Undead King
257 0 6
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

It has been ten days since I agreed to Clark's offer, and things have been going well, as well as things could go when one was stuck in a death game fighting for his survival, but you get the idea.

I had all the supplies I needed to, and no one bothered me as I kept grinding the undead creatures, luckily without meeting and variant zombies like the one from last time.

More and more people arrived at the area near the hotel thanks to the undead continuously thinning numbers as I kept slowly but surely getting stronger each day.

Most of the newcomers were content to mind their own business without bothering me or causing trouble for Clark and his minions. But there were still several individuals who had too high an opinion of themselves.

Some of them were confident enough to try ambushing me, but they were predominantly average humans, with some of them being slightly above average in strength. These ambushes did not bother me, and I welcomed them with open arms, as the extra EXP is always appreciated.

Others started groups of their own, trying to undermine Clark group's control over the area. They proved easy enough to handle as Clark's people had already established themselves here while the newcomers had to fight an uphill battle.

And Clark's group quickly apprehended most of them, delivering them for me to publicly execute whenever I had the time, between exploring the city and grinding the undead.

I had managed to gather a good amount of EXP, which I immediately went into upgrading my parameters, but the same problem from before reared its head at me.

I lacked an efficient method of farming EXP. The public executions and all those idiots who tried to ambush had given me a decent amount of experience points, but even that is slowly proving to be unable to keep up with my growing need for EXP.

I will have to stop relying on the system as my primary way of getting stronger, sooner or later, so I had to milk it dry before that happens, but I digress.

I am currently standing in the middle of the street on top of a small created with patches of mismatched wood and metal, keeping a neutral expression as Clark's subordinates brought three men with blindfolds, leading them towards the small stage.

"I have stood here in front of you people for at least eight times already during the past ten days or so, and yet..," I exclaimed in a clear tone, keeping my expression neutral as I trailed off at the end my sentence.

"Why do so many people still continue to repeat the mistakes of the people who died on this stage?" I asked as I materialized Bloodsport in my hand, pointing it towards the troublemakers kneeling on the execution stage.

I noticed many faces in the crowd gathered to watch the execution lose color as soon as I brandished Bloodsport, activating its Dread Aura effect.

I didn't stay still as I moved towards the prisoners, bashing their heads one after the other with Bloodsport and sending smashed bits of gray matter and bloody flesh flying.

"Let this be another and hopefully a final lesson on why you should not fuck with my people or me," I exclaimed, kicking one of the corpses at my feet to the side as I took a step forward, pointing Bloodsport towards the gathered crowd.

The crowd said nothing as they stared nervously, alternating their gazes between my baseball bat and the corpses of the now-dead troublemakers.

"The show is over now. Everyone get back to doing whatever the hell you've been doing!" I concluded, shooing the crowd away by waving my hand at them in a dismissive manner as I turned around and left myself.

"Good work, boss," Clark said with a blank expression as he made his way to me. "But try to be less intimidating next time, unless you want people to really stop making trouble," he added while adjusting his glasses.

"Everyone is critique," I said with a smile as I walked past him, causing him to turn around and follow behind me. "There's no point in maintaining this charade any longer. It has already become inefficient," I added with a shrug.

"I see. We were running out of troublemakers, anyway," he replied with a shrug of his own. "So, how goes the task I gave you?" I asked as I stopped a suitable distance away from the stage, leaning on a collapsed building away from the safe area Clark and his group built.

"Attention to all players!" Clark was about to reply, but he had to swallow his words as the announcer's voice suddenly reverberated within the city.

"A special event has occurred!" The announcer stated with an excited tone. "The undead king has appeared at the center of the city, and all undead creatures will start a stampede to rally to his banner!" he added as a giant holograph showing zombies going crazy and running in the same direction appeared in the sky.

"Whoever slays the undead king will receive an extraordinary reward from the game master himself. Do your best, and have fun!" he concluded as the holograph disappeared.

"About the task-" was all Clark could say before I picked him up, tossing him on my shoulder and making a run towards the hotel. "For a self-proclaimed genius, you can be quite idiotic at times," I said with a sigh as I began noticing the zombies acting wild already and running towards the city's center.

"We need to go somewhere safe and lie low, or this so-called stampede will drown us in more undead than we can handle," I explained with frowns. "I'll be in your care then, boss," Clark replied in his usual careless tone, causing me to sigh.

We soon reached the hotel despite running across the occasional rushing zombie groups, but I steered clear of them as the number of undead creatures was small in this area.

Still, more will come sooner or later and flood the streets as the hotel I stayed in wasn't too far away from the city center.

...

"We need to get out of here," I said with a frown as I looked down my window at the street full of zombies below. It had barely been ten minutes since we reached the hotel, but the number of rampaging zombies was already increasing steadily.

I had even seen one of those royal undead creatures pass by merely two minutes ago, leading me to conclude that we needed to get out of here, and we needed to do that as soon as possible.

"Where will we go?" Clark asked in a reluctant tone, obviously not wanting to leave this area he worked so hard to maintain. "Whatever that undead king thing is, it will soon have an army," I replied with a severe expression on my face.

"And I don't think it will be content to just sit around in the city's central area," I added while shaking my head. "So we need to get to the outskirts of the city and plan our next move," I concluded as I began packing supplies.

"What about my subordinates?" Clark asked as he got up with a sigh and began doing the same. "Feel free to tell them where we're going, but we can't take anyone with us," I replied with a shrug.

"There will be a lot of zombies in the street, so it would be better to travel in smaller groups so as not to attract any attention," I explained as I began checking my supplies for one last time.

"Understood," Clark said with a nod as he finished packing all the supplies he could carry as well. "Oh, and Clark, one more thing," I said as I turned to look at him with a grin.

"If you slow me down, then I'll throw you to the zombies, so try to keep up," I remarked as I turned around, making my way towards the exit.

Clark was convenient to have around, but I only trusted the man as far as I could throw him, which is a very far distance, to be fair, making this an inaccurate use of the metaphor. But you get the idea.

We were also merely using each other and were not exactly friends, so there was no way in hell I was going to risk my life for him.

"It's not like I wasn't expecting that much," Clark said with his usual deadpan expression, causing me to chuckle as we made our way towards the hotel's exit.

We soon reached the hotel's reception area, and I wasn't surprised to see a couple of dozen people already gathered there, murmuring as they discussed this and that among themselves.

"Alright, everybody listens up!" I exclaimed, immediately gaining everyone's attention. "The zombies are currently rampaging towards the city center, but it's only a matter of time before they come back here with greater momentum!" I stated, and the people began looking at each other with troubled expressions.

"The city's outskirts will be the safest place when that happens, so make your way there and travel in small groups to avoid getting the undead creatures' attention if you want to live!" I concluded as I began walking towards the exit while ignoring everyone who tried to talk to me.

 

(Patréon - (pat reon.com/Wicked132) - my Patr eon for those of you who wish to support my writing.)

(Discord server, - discord..gg/RDnWBB6jXV- or hit me up at - Wicked132#5511 - and I'll add you myself.)

6