Chapter 14. Subtraction.
1 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Several years back in time.

The Móruvel family became the dominant power in the world, they were a threat that was gradually extinguishing all the other royal families, including those of Paso Caol. Fortunately, the Great Revolution came to put an end to that legacy and calmed things down for the local elite. Dorba returned as a hero to his hometown, the nobles who had shunned him in his childhood for his unorthodox behaviors among the upper class, now admired and recognized him. They felt that putting him in charge of the principality would place the town in high regard with King Moal. The parents of the newly appointed Prince were proud to see that their son was a revered world hero, so they threw a great feast in his honor as a reception. Dorba complied with the protocol, but his mind was elsewhere, anxious to get out into the mount to seek a reunion with someone important. 

In the same worn-out dwelling where Dorba hid from his pursuers as a child, Gaena still lived. Despite the passage of time, the newly crowned Prince was able to recognize her immediately. She was a beautiful woman, with a slender petite figure, a captivating smile and unmistakably bright green eyes. She was embarrassed to see him, not feeling worthy to speak to the Prince of the town, but he was quick to remind her that for him there were no social distinctions. He ran to hug her and resume their friendship.

Reuniting with her was a relief, since life in Paso Caol was very different from what he was used to. From the moment he returned, all he heard were compliments, praise and flattering remarks. He hated this, finding peace only in the honest words of his childhood friend, to whom he talked daily. The relationship flowed very well, the chemistry between them quickly turned into something more and an inevitable outcome occurred. Dorba proposed marriage to her and she accepted in surprise, despite her insecurities for not having anything material to offer to a man who already had everything. Yet that could not have been more wrong, on the day of the wedding - a ceremony that no one in the nobility approved, but they could do nothing to avoid it - Dorba received the most valuable gift he had ever obtained. With teary eyes, Gaena handed him a metal object with an old casing.

- On the surface it may look like an old-fashioned watch of little value. But to me it is a prized possession, the only reminder I have left of my family. I offer it to you as a symbol of my love for you, as a sign that I want us to be a family together. 

That pocket watch became Dorba's most valued treasure. The only material possession he would never leave behind. Gaena and the Prince formed a wonderful relationship, they professed a love for each other that few couples ever get to experience. Both helped to restructure Paso Caol by aiding the hard-working people of the town to make a decent living. It didn't take long for the couple to be seen as the pair with the heart of gold. Together they experienced the best times of their lives, never worrying about outside events; until the waters were stirred when King Moal visited Paso Caol one day. He came to ask Dorba for his help in exterminating a new rebel group that was sprouting in the forest. He knew that counting with him, he could destroy them soon, because at the head of the group was someone who had great trust in Dorba.

-Help me set a trap for Rioya. Invite him to a place and I'll take care of the rest. -Moal asked him seriously.

-How can you possibly want me to do that, Moal? You know that Rioya and I are like brothers. Even if we've had our differences, I can't do that to him.

-Then make a decision. Not supporting my kingdom is being against me. You decide if you want your principality to remain allied with us or if you prefer it to be considered a rebel territory.

Dorba was in a big dilemma, he was put between a rock and a hard place. He asked his wife for advice, who told him that he should try to do the right thing above all else. Thinking about it, he feared that by disobeying King Moal, the first coercive measure against him would be to harm the woman he loved, thus he traveled in search for Bopo to ask him for a Goan transfer that could protect her.

-Bopo, I know that nowadays you only transfer Goan through potions. But I need you to make an exception for me. Please give Goan to my wife via a transfer.

The Prince told the elder about what was happening between Moal and Rioya. Bopo was not surprised to hear about it, in fact he added more relevant information about it.

-I knew this would happen soon. Moal is untrustworthy, the only thing he cares about is power. We can't wait any longer, I have to entrust you with a mission of utmost importance, Dorba. The future of everyone is at stake, -he told him with concern- Moal has transformed the world at will in the few years of his reign; but that is really nothing, if he becomes more powerful, an era of gloom would cover the world. Unfortunately that is a possibility closer than you think. You should realize that me, as the original Goan heir, have a unique ability that few know about; I can sense the Goan's presence in the world. And because of this I can make an affirmation that no one suspects: the blue Goan is not yet extinct. Moal must already know it and be looking for it, Rioya may be getting in the way of his plans and that's why he has urgency to kill him. Sadly, I cannot know the precise location of the blue aura like I do with my own Goan, because in the case of the power coming from Adorisse, I am only capable of sensing a vibe in the environment that reminds me of her. I think the reason I can perceive it is because of the love I had for Adorisse. No one knows this story, but before we reached the Cave of Power we were a couple. Afterwards everything fell apart because of the Goan and the arguments generated by it, but I never stopped loving her. The emotional connection between the two of us might have created a nexus by which we unconsciously transmitted a small amount of power from one another and became forever linked. Otherwise, I shouldn't be able to feel that minuscule portion of Goan, I guess it is my love for her what manages to intensify it. However, the reality is that such vibe is so weak that I would barely be able to recognize the exact location of the blue Goan by standing in front of it, it would be necessary to travel all over the world in search of it, something my old body would not resist. Nevertheless, I have thought that it would still be possible to use that to our advantage. Just as I am able to feel it, so should a receiver of my power manage to do it in a lesser extent, he would only need to complete the other indispensable requirement; perhaps if we manage to use your most loving thoughts, we can get you to replicate that reaction in your Goan, as it does with me when I think of Adorisse.

-Of course I can try it, Bopo. Do you think we could take advantage of an object to detonate that loving feeling? I have a pocket watch that symbolizes for me all the affection I have for Gaena. 

-It could work. If that watch is capable of abstracting all your feelings into one big mass of affection I think you could do it. You would only have to provide the object with some of your Goan from time to time. Let's give it a try.

The experiment was a success, Dorba acquired a Goan detector with which he could go out and search for Adorisse's remaining power. When the object came in contact with the red aura, the crystal of the watch was colored the same tone, and they expected it would do the same when it managed to find a holder of the blue aura. 

Seeing Dorba's commitment to the mission, Bopo agreed to transfer Goan to Gaena. She demonstrated distinctive innate abilities in a short time; her sensitivity and nobility allowed her to shine in regenerative techniques and, surprisingly enough, she was capable of obtaining a gift that few Goan wielders ever achieve: she sensed and could communicate with animals and other creatures without the need of opening her mouth. Dorba was delighted with his wife's progress, but he had to leave soon to fulfill the assignment of the original Goan heir. He could not turn his back on the man who played such a big role in his formation, even if he knew it would cause offense to Moal. As a precaution, Dorba explained the situation to Gaena and asked her to stay in the principality while he left on an important mission. The first person he considered visiting was Rioya, who apparently knew something about the blue Goan. In the middle of the forest where they had spent so many adventures together, Dorba and Rioya met again.

-I see that you are still living without problems in the outdoors, Rioya.

-That's right, not all of us need palaces to feel valued, my friend.

-You know I didn't agree to take the position because of personal whims. It was the best way to try to pacify the world.

-Well, you did very well... look behind you, do you remember our battle companion? -Pointing to Seip, who was standing there- He also decided to trust Moal, now he lives in regret for having done so. If both of you had joined with me to confront him before this escalated, we would have ended this problem in time. Now it is already too complicated to do so, the kingdom of Valle Roble has become too strong.

-I understand, we may have had disagreements in the past, Rioya. But I have come to accept my error and to ask for your support. I need you to help me find the blue Goan before Moal does.

-What nonsense are you talking, the blue Goan became extinct when we killed the Móruvels. -With serenity on his face, Rioya ordered Seip and Dartio to withdraw all the men from the place. When he was alone, he questioned Dorba - ...Where did you hear about it? What do you know about the blue Goan?

-Bopo confessed to me that it still exists. He thinks you probably already knew about it. 

-Look, Dorba, I know you and Bopo are good men, that's why I'm going to make a statement that I will never repeat again. Bopo is right, that power still exists and I have seen it. I cannot help you in any other way, the blue Goan must be the one who finds the one it desires, and not the other way around. Do not waste your time, neither you nor Moal will be able to find it, that power is inside the last being in whom you would expect to see it.

-You have to help me, we can only stop Moal this way before it becomes impossible. Let me vindicate myself.

-It's not the most convenient time. But don't let the past torment you, you did what you thought was right. Nowadays we have to be cautious because our power is inferior than Moal's. However, perhaps your visit will ultimately serve a purpose.  Since I know you are a man of a piece, I may as well come clean with you and be the one to ask for assistance. Moal has a spy inside my camp and I don't trust anyone except Fyrod. That tyrant King wants to take me down because of the information I know about his plans. I only speak this to you because I know that soon I will become his main target, and if I die I can't afford to bring this information with me to my grave. Stop worrying about the blue Goan, the real threat is Moal's newly discovered ability. Somehow he learned to reverse the transmission of Goan and is now capable of subtracting it from people and retaining it. His power is growing and soon he will be invincible if he is not stopped in time. Ask Bopo for advice, maybe he can find a solution to this.

Dorba hurried back to Paso Caol looking for Bopo as soon as possible. He explained to him the information Rioya mentioned earlier and asked him if he thought it was real. The old man replied that such an ability would have some logic behind it, but he couldn't quite figure it out. He would have to test and see if he could develop something like what he had just described. It took several attempts and failures, but Bopo finally succeeded in isolating such an ability inside a potion. Using it, a person could extract the Goan deposited in other bodies. The guinea pig for the definitive sample ended up being Dorba, who to test the efficiency of the just drunk potion, tried to steal some Goan from old Bopo. After only a couple of seconds placing his hand on the old man's chest, Dorba was expelled and fell unconscious due to the immense power that the original heir gave off in that short time. The potion worked. Dorba and Bopo then realized that Rioya was right, Moal represented an enormous danger with such an ability, he would soon accumulate so much power to become practically invincible.

Thus, Dorba volunteered to be the counterbalance that could pose a threat to the King, from then on he began a journey across the world to recover the remnant Goan from deceased bearers. It wasn't easy for Dorba accepting that he became a tomb robber, however, he considered that he was doing such an ominous act in pursuit of a greater purpose. The plan worked well in the first few weeks, but as he approached Valle Roble's domains, he realized that Moal had already anticipated his idea. The graves of his comrades who perished in the Great Revolution were opened, there their bodies laid completely dry of Goan. Dorba found himself in a dilemma; despite refusing to take power from living people, he knew perfectly well that his current Goan would be insufficient. He resolved to create a list of the most detestable criminals possessing Goan and became a hunter of their heads. He visited different villages, reducing the crime rates by draining the major criminals of all their power. During this period, the Goan reserves inside Dorba grew significantly, but it also led to a serious problem that neither Bopo nor he foresaw. The Goan merges with the spirit of its bearer throughout its life, therefore by absorbing it, part of the essence of the previous owner also entered in the organism of Dorba; and he had managed to feast with the essences of the worst individuals that humanity had to offer. The changes in Prince Dorba's personality did not take long to show.

0