CHAPTER 2
23 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The room was adorned in gold and jewellery. A massive painting of her mother, close to the size of the wall itself, could be seen behind her, oppressing the atmosphere of the room. Different scribbled on worn down paper could be find strewn across, inked with the markings of a madwoman. One of such papers laid next to Annabella's feet with was covered in furious splotches and stripes made by scratching and slamming the paper with the pen. It was a personal letter of some sort, but due to the rough handling the recipient could not be made out.

The mother sat upon her throne, a bored expression resting upon the small Annabella. "Do come in." She said as she held up her crystal glass, lazily gesturing towards a seat opposite hers. Maria showed no emotion towards the small child's confusion and worry. She cared for few matters, her daughter not being one of them.

"M-mom-"

Even as Annabella whispers and stutters, her whimpers are only answered with a loud snap of the fingers.

"I don't have time to waste, Anna."

She spoke abruptly, her fingers still pointing towards the chair. Annabella does not seek conflict with her mother, and as such sits down as ordered.

"We shall attend the welcoming of the new marquess in Lothare today. 'Lothare, a name cast in infamy, a hodgepodge for bandits and peasantry, why would a noble want to settle there?' you may think. Quite the odd couple I must say. However, duty is duty. It is time you pulled your weight little Anna."

The mother yawns with an agitated expression.

"After all, the degenerates of Krowaldt feel themselves too superior for a party with such lowly guests as the likes of us to attend."

Annabella tenses up at hearing the name, which peaked the interest of the mother if only for a moment.

"Kindred souls, you and I." She chuckled wryly. "A shame you are to be wedded to the heir of that accursed horde of beastmen, Ferdinand."

The more Maria spoke of the Krowaldts, the more her veneer of apathy falthers revealing deep seethed bile and disgust. Annabella could only speculate as to why her mother harbored these feelings.

However, it has truly been the first moment of her life Annabella and Maria truly found if only a meager connection to one another, relation by blood aside.

Annabella does not harbor such disgust at the Krowaldts, but something about how Maria framed them truly resonated with the insight Anna was granted only moments prior to her waking up. They were capable of any action, that much she was keenly aware of, or at least that's how it is if that dream was of truthful nature.

"Nevertheless, it shall be noted that we shall depart as the town clock rings, not a moment later. Your appearance is servicable, but you must adorn something of value. I hope your maids are at least competent enough to understand something as elementary as such. It'd also be wise to select a guard, lest your burdens taint my mood further. Now leave."

As Annabella scutters meekly out of the maddening room she glances back one last time seeing her mother down the glass of wine in one gulp. The mother harshly glares back at her, the murderous intent conveying a loud and clear message that anyone could notice;

Fuck off.

She hurried back to her room as fast as she could.

 

 

 

 

 

0