Chapter 21 “Getting Answers…One Way Or Another
1.3k 5 30
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

CHAPTER 21

   “Getting Answers…One Way Or Another”

     

August 1st, 2040: C.I.A Blacksite 3E, Unknown Location

 

“Say, what do you think happened on this planet to cause evolution to do…well this?” Agent Darol glanced at Director Stevens, then back through the one-way glass into the interrogation room. Sitting alone at a metal table was a woman who appeared to be a feline demi-human.

“I wouldn't be so hasty to label this as an evolutionary trait. We’re getting more and more information about the religions of this world, and with it, the growing possibility that some higher power or creature created them. I’ve sent pallet loads of blood samples to our labs, so we should get an answer to some of our questions. That said, I am growing more alarmed by the fact that there are intelligent humanoid races which, in most aspects, are superior to the average human.” Director Stevens commented as he crossed his arms. 

“What does the president have to say about this?” 

Keep them as far away from the mainland as possible. That was his reaction when I was on the conference call. Can’t say I blame him, I would also want to keep them at an ocean's distance.” Director Steven smirked, turning back to the interrogation room as the door was opened by a suited-up red-haired woman holding a laptop under her right arm.     

“Hi, I’m Richelle.” With a smile, she set the laptop down on the opposite side of the table. “Is there anything I can get you to drink? Eat?” As with most of the other captured people, the demi-human didn’t respond at all, choosing to stare at her hands instead. Opening her laptop, Agent Richelle scrolled through some documents. “My my, you’re quite an interesting person. You were picked up after an American air assault division launched in that southern region of The Plusieurs Kingdom. Why were you there? From my understanding, your race is frowned upon and wouldn't be allowed anywhere near an important structure like this.” The feline woman briefly shifted her gaze to meet Richelle's before looking back down, not saying a single word. “May I at least have the honor of knowing your name, Miss?” A long silence followed Richelles' question.

“This is a waste of time, director. I highly suggest we do solitary confinement. We can get them to cooperate in as little as thirty days.” Agent Darol turned his head to Stevens who returned a less than pleased look.

“Yeah, and it broke them. I need reliable information, not brain dribble from an insane person. Give Agent Richelle some time.” Turning back to the room, Richelle was just about to close her laptop when the feline woman shifted a bit in her seat, catching all three CIA operatives' attention.

“Trifin.” The feline demi-human muttered.

“Well Trifin, it is nice to meet you.” Offering a handshake, Trifin tentatively accepted it having learned by watching the guards and other agents do it sometimes when they passed her cell. 

“The dirt under your nails and the slightly damaged skin tells me you must work hard with your hands, am I correct?” Agent Richelle gently rotated Trifin’s hand to examine it. 

“Y-yes. I was a maid for the lord who lived in that castle. Until the Americans destroyed it. Tell me, am I going to..die here?” Hearing this, Agent Richelle tilted her head slightly and raised an eyebrow.       

“Well I don’t know who told you that, but we aren't savages here. If you were going to, why would we give you the accommodations you have now? A comfy bed, proper food--need I go on?” Taking a look around the bare gray concrete room, Richelle fixed her vision on a security camera in the corner with a blinking red light. Turning to the one-way mirror she nodded. 

“Turn off the camera Agent Darol.” Stevens looked over at Agent Darol who had his mouth open ready to rebut the order but quickly silenced himself. Moving over to a nearby control panel, Darol flicked a switch and the camera’s blinking light stopped. With that, Richelle reached under her side of the table and pushed a button, pausing the auto recording.

“Miss Trifin, by now you must have realized you are in America’s hands, more specifically, the Central Intelligence Agency. We are an extension of The President and we act upon his or her command. Right now, we have been told to gather information by any means necessary. With that said, we are open to a deal for any information you can give us. Would you be open to such an agreement? Trifin responded by returning to silently staring at her hands, Richelle huffed to regain her attention, all the while turning the hidden microphone back on. Followed by Agent Darol reactivating the security camera. “Come on, there’s gotta be something you want. Money? Protection? Is there anyone you would like us to kill? Save? Perhaps a friend, family member or loved one you wish to see again?” 

“M-my husband and son. About twelve days ago Marquis Charles Eugune, along with a group of knights came into our village that surrounds the castle, demanding that every man join his ranks. Saying something about how the Queen herself has called upon all men to fight for her.” Hearing this, Darol turned to Stevens.

“Forced conscription? Sounds like a great way to tank your morale and combat effectiveness.” 

“You really need to catch up on your medieval history homework. Stuff like this was extremely common during wartime. Having a large professional army was far too expensive, whereas having a few knights to call upon villages for levys was much cheaper, or, hire mercenaries. This is why we haven't seen any major army movements from The Plusieurs Kingdom. It takes months to raise an army but since we’ve been bombing any area with concentrated activity, it has been impossible for them to carry out any meaningful counter-attacks.” The duo then turned back to the interrogation room.

“Well, I’m confident that we can rescue your husband and son, however, we need more information.” Agent Richelle opened a new document on her laptop and waited as Trifin paused in thought. 

“I…I believe they were marching in the direction of Rudoulf.” Hearing this, Agent Darol’s eyes widened in disbelief.

“That… doesn't narrow it down, at all. Satellite imagery showed at least three armies marching toward that city. This is gonna be like finding a needle in a stack of needles…in a needle factory!” 

“Then I guess we better get the magnifying glass out.” Stevens muttered.

“Miss Trifin, that is a rather tall order. To find two people in a marching army and attempt to get them out safely--I hope you have something worth the time and resources needed for us to get them?” 

“As a maid of Marquis Charles Eugune, I have overheard many conversations during the feasts he hosts inside his castle. Such as between Count Fulk and Count Louis who control a small region slightly further down from where you Americans captured my lord's castle, and who wish to rebel against the queen and join The Tsarlato Kingdom.” 

“Great, now we have butchered Bulgarian. What next? Swahili?.” Agent Darol snorted, causing Stevens to bite his tongue to retain his laughter. Through it all, Agent Richelle continued to record everything on her laptop.

“And what is this…Tsarlato Kingdom’s, policies like? What does this kingdom represent?” Richelle questioned. 

“Though I have never been there, I have heard that it is a small but lengthy kingdom and acts as a…living barrier between the largely human kingdoms of middle and higher Gitopollagónes and The Elven Forest.” Hearing the odd name, Director Stevens cocked his head and narrowed his eyes. 

“That name… if I’m not mistaken, is Greek. We might have just found the real name of New Europe.” He took a step towards the one-way glass, entranced by the fountain of information washing over him. 

“The Elven Forest, what can you tell me about it?” Agent Richelle asked, readying a new document. 

“Well, the name does not really fit it any longer. The forest is home to a mainly demi-human, beastkin and elven race. Although it wasn’t always like that…” Trifin trailed off, making the hair on Stevens's neck stand up. “Centuries ago, the emperors of The Autoriario Empire, The Utspraakriech Empire and The Parliyorlik Theocracy decided that it would be in the best interests of the pure human race to remove the other races from their realms.” 

“By removed, do you mean forcefully relocated, or killed? Genocide perhaps?” Agent Richelle tilted her head slightly, wanting to get a clear answer. 

“I do not understand that word, but from what I was told and have learned, those who did not flee into The Elven Forest or far into the north when the decree was announced were executed where they stood.”

“So it was a genocide.” Richelle murmured while typing away. “These other empires-- The Utspraakriech Empire and The Parliyorlik Theocracy. What are they like?”

“I do not know them well, as they are far to the east, just beyond The Autoriario Empire’s borders. From what I can recall, they are larger and have a more… aggressive view when it comes to any non-pure human race.” 

“More aggressive than The Autoriario Empire?” Richelle asked.

“Yes. While, at the very least, The Autoriario Empire keeps the other races around for religious reasons or slavery, The Utspraakriech Empire and The Parliyorlik Theocracy mercilessly execute any demi-human or beastkin. Though I do believe in The Utspraakriech Empire, there is a small region located in a mountain range which is home to a fortress controlled by dwarfs. Having tried and failed to capture it for centuries The Utspraakriech Empire eventually gave up and simply chose to build around it.” Hearing all of this new information, Richelle had to spend a few minutes typing it all out. 

“I believe that is enough for today. Thank you for your cooperation Miss Trifin, I will be sure to pass on your request for the safe return of your husband and son. If it is accepted, we will discuss the topic more at a later date.” Closing her laptop and standing up, she once again offered a handshake, one that Trifin didn’t hesitate to accept. Once Trifin was escorted from the interrogation room a few seconds passed before the door to the observation room opened and Richelle marched inside. “If she is lying, she is very good at it.”

“Can we validate her claims?” Turning away from the one-way glass, Director Stevens focused his attention on Richelle.

“Given time, we will have a better picture of how this continent operates. For now however, this is all we have to go on, director.”

“Well, it’s better than nothing. Continue to build trust with all of the contacts. If any are proving to be aggressive or refusing to cooperate, hand them over to Agent Darol. As for you Darol, while I approved solitary confinement as a means of getting people to cooperate with us, if they are broken then their information is voided and they will have to be terminated. Do I make myself clear?” Director Steven’s cold stare dissolved any hesitation he once had.

“Crystal clear, director.” 

“Good, now if you two will excuse me, I have a meeting to get to.” Leaving the observation room, Stevens took a deep breath before continuing down the bare concrete hallway, lit only by a few fluorescent tube lights. “I wonder if I’ll ever have a normal day again…”

 

Inside The Director's Office : Black Site 3E

 

Sitting in a black leather office chair, Stevens spun from side to side while watching his computer, waiting for the director of the science division to call. Finally, after forty minutes of waiting, a call request came through. Accepting it, Director Stevens greeted a man wearing a white lab coat. 

“Director Jim, nice to finally speak to you.” 

“Likewise Director Stevens. My apologies for the delay, I was just informed about a major breakthrough with the blood samples you sent us.”

“Oh really? Do tell.” Steven instinctively leaned in closer to his monitor.

“Well to start, all of the hybrids are Homo-sapien, that is just a concrete fact. The demi-humans have a difference in DNA ranging from five to nine percent, and the Anthropomorphic animals are twelve to twenty percent.” Jim looked at his desk and fiddled with some papers. “Also a more alarming measurement we’ve found in some of the blood samples, is the presence of ionizing radiation. The majority of the blood samples ranged from twenty to one-hundred rems. However, we did isolate one sample that was over three hundred rems. When we looked into whose blood this came from as they should be expressing serious radiation poisoning. An average build male was named as the sample owner. Turns out they are a mage and use something called “Gemstones” to wield magic.” 

“Wait. So you’re saying that these gemstones are uranium or fucking plutonium?” Alarm bells rang through Stevens's mind at the idea of these gemstones being nuclear weapons.

“I don’t believe so, Director Stevens. The running theory is this is some new kind of radiation that we can’t accurately pick up right now. Some scientists are even saying it's magical essence that has been absorbed by the inhabitants of this world because of these gemstones.”

“Well keep looking into it, I’ve got the joint chiefs breathing down my neck about wanting options to reverse-engineer this stuff so we can use it. Do we have anything on the gemstones?”

“Very little right now. So far we’ve come to understand them as a sort of battery that can store and discharge a form of unknown energy, or, magic as it’s come to be called. They also vary wildly in size with some as small as a baseball to ones the size of a bus. But these ones are usually regulated for high-energy demanding activities like communications or wide-field magic. Similar to what The Plusieurs Kingdom has been doing with their castles and forts with the dense artificial fog.” 

“Hmm. Have we figured out a way to charge these gemstones yet?” Stevens questioned with Jim returning a chuckle.

“Well, one person had the insane idea to hang one above a nuclear reactor. Can’t say I approve of it.”

“Yeah maybe don’t do that. Is that everything?” 

“I’m afraid so. I will be sure to contact you again once I have anything noteworthy to talk about.” Before Stevens could respond there was a buzz on Jim's side of the call. Lifting up his phone he sighed. “Looks like I need to take off. Someone in the lab is about to use a diamond saw on a gemstone and everyone but this scientist is thrilled with the idea.” Without even bothering to end the call properly, Director Jim shot up from his desk and ran off camera, just as a small explosion rang out causing the camera to shake, leaving a very concerned Stevens who then had to try his damndest to not laugh at the yelling in the background.

“You fucking idiots! Did no one have the bright idea of trying to stop him!”

30