Chapter 34 “A Conflict yet Settled”
613 9 13
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

CHAPTER 34

“A Conflict Yet Settled”

     

????????? ???, ????: The Grand Senate, Luxrum Proper, The Astral Plane 

 

Choosing to stand in the far corner of the room Bellam, along with Yenmek, looked on as the old generation of gods slowly filed in, most seeming more interested in their personal matters rather than what they had all come to discuss. 

“These old fools, do they not understand what is at stake here?” Yenmek sneered, bearing her canine fangs, though reserving herself to her beastkin form.

“Very few of us continue to play the game Yenmek” Bellam replied “And once this hearing is over, I’ll be surprised if it isn’t finally put to rest. It is rather outdated, even for us. Besides, this isn’t even an open senate.” 

“Still, I am concerned that Gamult won’t have the strength needed to argue with Potias over this--much less fight him if needed.”

“You really that afraid he will lose?” Bellam turned to face Yenmek with a confused look.

“No one worships him anymore! After the fall of The Prunem Dynasty all those centuries ago, his faith is near extinct! I only know of a few minor circles in Gitopollagónes that still practice his teachings--yet he’s never reached out to them nor anyone else…” Pausing for a moment to collect herself, Yenmeks wolf ears folded back, and her expression grew into sadness. “Dare I say I think he is doing it on purpose… to finally die, akin to Niais.” Placing a sympathetic hand on Yenmeks shoulder, Bellem smiled.

“Niais fell into despair after driving his kingdom to its breaking point. Gamult lost because of war--and a fair fight it was. I should know, I participated in it. Still, it does sadden me that after that glorious war, Potias cried enough to make it so we demi-gods cannot intervene in mortal wars again.” 

With the chamber growing ever louder as more senators filed in, muttered words turned to full conversations. Yenmek and Bellan continued to observe as other gods also joined. First Aurtas, then Kriwelf, Seon Dong, Hrefi, Jiom-Ki, Úldur and finally Potias himself. With the gods choosing to stand on the side rather than sit, Potias stepped onto the center of the marble floor.

Glorious rulers of Luxrum!” Potias boomed, immediately hushing all irrelevant noise inside the chamber. “I thank you for heeding my call for this closed hearing. For those confounded by this sudden call, I have great reason for it.” Lifting up his right hand and opening it wisps of magical threads shot out and formed into the shape of a planet. Eighty-five cycles ago, a summoning was conducted without due process. Compounding this… egregious act, it was for a nation residing in The First Realm.” 

Immediately, the oldest senators' faces turned ghostly white as they turned to one another for guidance. 

“Earth? Who would dare such an act of blasphemy?” One muttered to another.

“I lost many sons to them, I do not wish to lose more.” Another shivered at the mere thought of war against the humans of Earth.

“That war nearly brought about the demise of our entire race…” 

“Please! Steel yourselves! This is not the enemy we fought all those centuries ago. The humans of Earth have neglected to keep their history of us. They do not know of our existence--instead putting beliefs into gods that do not exist. We also have another advantage to help us win against this foe. The summon failed!” Expanding the size of the globe, and using his left hand, Potias spun the planet and brightened one entire continent and many smaller chunks of land across the world.

“The Constitutional Republic of The United States of America. A formidable foe on Earth--now left scrambling to plug the many leaks in their sinking ship. The failed summon has left us at a distinct advantage over our renegade children.” Pushing the planet view to the side. Potias showed images of many American constructs destroyed, and entire fortresses abandoned. He also showed images of American cities where order was all but a fleeting prospect. “We must act now, or if we fail to do so, be betrayed and left to perish like our brethren before.”

Muttered sounds of agreement resonated within the old crowd, however the deafening silence from the gods left many concerned. One senator looked at the planet, then at Aurtas.

“Aurtas. This Earth nation has claimed land within your realm, why haven’t you expelled them yet?” he questioned.

“Because… Emperor Alfonso refuses to do so.” Aurtas’s words hung in the air like an executioner's ax. “I failed to realize in time just how influential these Americans can be with threats. And the threat to rain fire from the skies and onto their cities was enough for Alfonso to bend the knee.” 

“And it is the same for thy Kingdoms.” A female voice sounded from the archway.

“Aro, I’m glad you could join us.” Potias smiled, though Aro did not return it. 

“I have already borne witness to one that has fallen to these Americans, and I am about to see another fall to their influence.” Walking to where the other gods were, Aro raised her right hand and with an open palm, manifested a translucent crown. “Queen Stéphane de Châtillon was quick to declare a war against the Americans, and just as quickly lost that war.” Twitching her fingers, the crown turned into a map of The Plusieurs Kingdom. And from a seemingly random point along a minor road, a sea of red quickly sprawled out along the road system, targeting all major populated cities. “The Americans have mastered war down to an art form. Their unique war doctrine gives them the flexibility and strength to wage war on a scale your empires could only theorize of, and our kingdoms come to fear.” Lowering her hand, the map quickly began to fade. Walking through the dissipating display, Aro closed the distance between her and Potias. “So pardon me for questioning, but just how do you plan on dealing with this… First Realm Power?”  

Potias just continued to smile in silence for a moment, then walked over to where Autras and Kriwelf were standing. 

“The United States of America may be a First Realm Power, but the summoning is a complete disaster for them. Our collective pawns will have little trouble driving out the Americans. Besides, with Kvdur’s pets swimming around their coasts, their navy is completely worthless!” With a devilish smile on his face, Potias glanced back at the senators– with many silently agreeing to his plans.

“About that… Potias.” From the doorway once again, a deep, male voice echoed. Everyone turned, horrified at not who was standing there, but rather their condition. Kvdur, God of all chaos. The entire right side of his face was burned, inky black veins shooting out across the wounded area. His right eye with its signature glowing purple hue now turned ghostly white.

“By the divine arts! What happened to you!” One senator roared.

“To quote an American saying. I was fucking around with them, and I found out that you simply do not do that.” Stepping into the chamber, Kvdur did a single sidestep to reveal a short, young woman with similar injury marks on her face--though more noticeably both her arms had those inky black veins with a hint of redness gleaming on a few.

“Luvenum. I was under the impression that you were still being treated?” Potias raised a curious, yet uncaring eyebrow.

“I was. These will be with me for the rest of my existence.” Raising her arms, Luvenum tilted her head. “You really think your empires can take on The United States of America?” 

“You dare question the resolve of my people, child?” Finally speaking up, Kriwelf turned to face Luvenum. “You aren't even one of us, yet you had the audacity to attempt a summoning--and a First Realm Power no less!” Getting within a few inches of Luvenum, Kriwelf continued his rant. “There is also something rather important you are leaving out, or maybe you just didn’t read that deeply into their history--or The First Realms' history for that matter!” 

“And so are you, funny religious man.” A booming voice laughed. In the far, far corner of the chamber, a dark mass emerged before morphing into a familiar old man. One all too familiar to Potias.

“Ah, the self-proclaimed protector of The First Realm. Come to keep your word about punishing the person who has wronged your beloved realm?” 

“Not so much to the person who attempted to summon a nation from it. But to the people who are actively pissing it off.” Grinding his teeth, Gamult marched right up to Potias’s face. “The United States isn’t some sleeping giant, it’s a damn titan! And you didn’t just poke it with a stick, oh no. You threw a boulder at its head! You have turned a masterpiece into a nightmare! As for you Kvdur.” Turning his ire on the god of chaos, Gamult's face boiled red with rage. “Did you really not expect a reaction to killing five-fucking-thousand Americans with that little stunt you pulled? You’re lucky there are still moderates within The United States Government! Though now, you might as well kiss your asses goodbye.”

“Exactly what do you mean by that?” Autras crossed his arms. In response, Gamult flicked his right hand and a small white flame appeared. 

“Everyone. Today marks a day that will go down in history--be it one we can tell, only time will tell. We may not know why we were brought here, be it quantum forces, supernatural beings or something else entirely, but we, The United States of America, will not go down without a fight. And if The United States is here to stay, then we will bend this world to our will, and ours alone.” Echoing through the flame, President Dresden’s voice bounced around the chamber. 

“Perhaps it is wise to leave The United States to its own devices in this case.” One senator proposed. In return, Gamult just laughed hysterically. 

“Oh you sweet summer child. That ship sailed long ago. The United States is going to bulldoze its way to the top of the hierarchy and annihilate all that opposes it--that includes you lot of idiots. They cannot be controlled, they cannot be tamed, they certainly cannot be fought with by your pathetic excuses for world powers. All that Kvdur, and by extension Autras, has done? Well, once the Americans find out about the mass executions of their soldiers you’ve just given them every reason to go into a full war-time economy. What would have taken ten--twenty years of recovery, will now only be four if we have blind luck on our side! There is now the very real threat that they will no longer restrict themselves in warfare. If they were willing to use their trump card on a simple sea serpent, what’s stopping them from using other weapons of mass destruction?” Turning back to an expressionless Potias, Gamult’s fury filled his words. “The First Realm nearly killed us all those centuries ago! We got out by the skin of our teeth because their society collapsed around them, that is the only reason we survived. That is why we can’t afford another war. They would rather scorch the land they stand on than bend the knee to us. Your own son paid that price with his life.” Stopping for a moment to catch his breath Gamult watched as Potias closed his eyes and took a deep breath.  

“I haven’t forgotten the battle over the burnt remains of Thebes, and the soldier that killed my son, Tyndareus.” Finally showing a hint of emotion, the air within the chamber began to heat up. “I fought thousands of humans and killed hundreds of them. The only reason I allowed The First Realm to survive is solely because of you. Remember that the next time you wish to challenge me in an open senate.” Taking a step back, Potias turned to the senators. “I believe that is all for today, if there are any more developments, or in the rare case this situation evolves into an open senate hearing, I shall call upon your services once again.” 

With the hearing coming to an abrupt, but much-needed end, the majority of senators and gods filtered out of the chamber. Save for Gamult, Jiom-Ki, Yenmek, Bellam and Luvenum. Jiom-Ki was the first to speak up after a heavy sigh.

“Well there’s certainly no turning back now after that show. I do wonder though Gamult. Just what is your plan to protect America when it seems they're hellbent on taking on the entire world at once?”

“Attempting to calm down Americans is a waste of time, we need to find something to distract them.” Running his left hand through his beard, Gamult contemplated ideas.

“I might just know of a brewing conflict in The Southern Steppe that might be what we need.” Opening her right hand, Yenmek showed a map of the Southern portion of Gitopollagónes--the Elven Forest appeared; and with it multiple different colored zones. “There is a powerplay happening within The Samraat Empire. Emperor Francis is on his deathbed, and the eldest son, Prince Philipp, is set to be his successor. However, the youngest son, Prince Leopold, isn’t having it and plans to challenge his brother… or so it appears to me. Hrefi seems rather oblivious to the whole situation.” The display morphed into a miniature Prince Leopold. Gamult leaned in before cracking a smile.

“He’s perfect. The United States will be scrambling their assets together to help him.”

“May I ask why they would bother to help some border prince?” His head tilted in confusion, Jiom-Ki shifted his gaze between Prince Leopold and Gamult.                                                                            

“Just look at his eyes.” 

“Yeah, one's blue, the other's red. So what?” Yenmek questioned. 

“The colors of The United States flag… interesting coincidence.” Bellam scoffed.

“The people of Gitopollagónes are a superstitious bunch. I would bet everything that once Prince Leopold learns about The United States, he will believe he was blessed by their god. And although The United States does not have one, the people don’t know that, nor need to know. Just believing is enough. A simple condition left over from a disease in his childhood could just be the key to keeping the Americans entertained long enough for their anger to subside.” Opening his own hand, Gamult conjured an art frame, and in its center wisps of white light began to dance, creating a scene he had always wanted to see with his aging eyes.     

                                                      

“Hmm… just maybe I’ll hang around long enough to stick it to Potias once more. And just maybe, you will come to respect the rebellious nature of humans.”

13