3.5: Lovis’ Letters
2 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Viz giggled to himself.

How wondrous!

He loved it when a plan came together. The smile on his lips refused to budge as he re-read Kaiz’s letter. What fantastic news it brought. He almost forwent burning it, just to keep it as a memento. That would be careless, though. 

He tossed the letter into his fireplace and got back to work. 

Dear Vice, 

I hope this letter finds you terrible. It would bring me nothing but joy to learn of any misfortune you’ve come across in your travels. If I were a pious man, I’d pray for it. Alas, as you very well know, the gods are bastards unworthy of worship, praise, or anything else the mortal skin can provide. Instead, I can only hope chance is not your friend, you have so few after all. 

On that topic, as one of those very few friends, I require something of you. Soon I will set off on a journey that will put me at the forefront of many hushed conversations. It is unavoidable. The path I must walk leads only to liberation or destruction. Not too dissimilar from your own. Though I’m not foolish enough to walk alone. It is time you correct that foolishness. Our paths should meet. 

Your birds will be just fine. There is plenty of open space here. No one knows your house’s name. 

Ha. It amazes me that I can still hear your nasally voice after so long. Even now, I can hear the five more excuses you just conjured. You will never run out of reasons to run away. There are fewer grains of sand than there are stories you can delude yourself into believing. You know it as well as I do. You’ll accomplish nothing out there. Come to Walddaun, it won’t be hard to find me. 

Regards,

Lovis

He gave the letter a once through before stamping a rune onto the corner. Then he took out a winter battery and activated it. The inked words slowly melted into the page, disappearing before his eyes. Once the spell finished its work, he inspected it just to be sure, then slid it into an envelope. A pre-made seal sat at the tip of the envelope, so all he had to do was press it down. He couldn’t see the mana at work like Kaiz could, but thankfully the seal flashed green once it was done. 

He immediately began on a second letter 

My Heart, 

How long has it been since we talked? Has a month truly gone by? Oh how I miss your fragrance. The sweet allure of your smile still fills my dreams. I long to see it again, in person. Mine eyes have been starved of beauty. Only your visage may quench them. I yearn for it.  

Let us meet again. 

Love, 

Viz 

He gave this letter a once through as well before immediately sliding it into an envelope. No seal came attached, so he merely closed it and stamped a plain red wax on top. Then he thought better of it. His reputation always preceded him. No one would believe he sent the letter if he didn’t place the bare minimum of protections on it. 

He brought out a slightly bigger envelope and placed the other one within it. Then he mimicked the sealing process of the first letter, though with a notably weaker seal. It would defeat the purpose if they couldn’t open it after all. 

Those two letters done with, he moved on to the third. 

Walter,

I’m sure by the time this letter reaches you, you’ll have already come to the correct conclusion, but I’ve just received some interesting news. Crypt is afraid. So afraid, he’s already fled the city. Tell me Walter, if Crypt can’t stand the pressure, can you? I don’t think you can. I think staying within those walls will crush you. 

Don’t be a fool old man. 

Viz

He repeated the same steps as the first letter, hiding the ink within the sheet and sealing the entire envelope with powerful magic. Once done, he smiled. Then it faded. 

Now then. 

He pulled out a folder-shaped envelope directed to himself. He had avoided reading it until now on the off chance it spoiled his mood. His plans didn’t always go to plan and the letter within the envelope would detail the results of a particularly risky ploy he had made. The odds it failed were much higher than the standard affairs. He was neither averse nor afraid of failure, but a slip up here would hurt. A lot. Much would have to be pushed back or shuffled around and they just didn't have that time. He forced in a deep breath before opening it. 

What the fuck is this shit Viz? Are you out of your mind? Fuck sake, don’t ever ask me to do dumb shit like that again. 

Viz barely even registered the words. His attention laid on what was below them. A deed. A very, very valuable deed. A much better deed than he had planned for. He stared at it for who knows how long. It almost didn’t look real. It certainly didn’t feel real in his hands. They shook light as he continued to examine and re-examine it.

When he was finally sure it wasn’t fraudulent, his smile forced its way back onto his face. 

It seems today truly is my day.

His last letter would be the easiest. 

Waden,

It’s time.

0