010 – How my mother met my wife… or so they claim.
164 1 11
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

My mother rushed forward and threw her arms around Katiana in a big hug.

The interesting expressions crossing Katiana's face in series was a mix of delight and shock.

My mother then let go and grabbed each of my wife's hands in her own.

"You look much better and healthier than the last time I saw you - cleaner too! And you put on a bit of weight - good for you!" [Mother Duchess]

Katiana was thin - too thin to be really healthy.

The report I received from the bakery agents about Katiana not having food everyday seemed to be true - I wonder what I should do about her step-mother?

When the opportunity arises, I will need to ask her myself.

Although Katiana always acts cheery and smiling around me, perhaps she harbors a wish or need to dish out some sort of revenge or pay back?

"It is good to see you again, too, my Lady Wudemia. I did not know you were a duchess, I have been so rude to you!" [Katiana]

"Pish posh pish! Forget all that, I'm no longer the acting duchess, you are! Let's just pretend you never found out and stay as we are!" [Mother Duchess, Wudemia]

Well, this is unexpected - the two really know each other - other than my mother being as much a battle hardened monster as I was, in a way Katiana and her were similar in temperament and beliefs, I suppose.

"And where did you get so well acquainted with my wife, mother?"

"Oh... I met this cute little dear in the dungeon city of Blackenfelds - she had just clea...." [Mother Duchess, Wudemia]

In my peripheral vision I saw frantic movement.

Katiana had freed one hand from my mother's grip and was waving it desperately behind her own head - which I supposed Katiana thought would be outside of my field of view.

"Ah! I mean... we bumped into each other when she had exited a shop that I was about to enter - yes that's how we met..." [Mother Duchess, Wudemia]

Hm... my mother obviously was about to say something else.

The way she corrected herself strongly reminded me of a certain wife of mine.

"Well, I was selling dungeon drops again in Blackenfelds... It is a good way to earn money, after all." [Katiana]

"Yes, isn't that the case my dear - drop-selling is an honest and safe job for a lady... After all, I used to do that, too!" [Mother Duchess, Wudemia]

"Except, dear mother, you used to sell drops from dungeon monsters that you killed yourself."

My mother stared daggers at me from under the brim of her feathered hat before facing my wife again with a gentle smile taking over her face.

"Now dear Katiana... How did you end up married to this disappointment of mine? Was there no-one better suited in, say, some royal family or other?" [Mother Duchess, Wudemia]

My mother - who could swing a star-metal sword as if it was a baton - must respect Katiana quite a bit.

She was still holding my wife's hands, almost as if protecting her from me.

"Oh, we just clicked the first time we met and I've... been a fan of Nitram for a long time." [Katiana]

"Hwell if you say so... He isn't that bad after all, I suppose... You know, he has received proposals from several foreign princesses, and declined them all, so I was worried I'd end up with no grandchildren. There were days I even thought he might end up being a monk!" [Mother Duchess, Wudemia]

"Nitram is a bit monkish at times, isn't he...? Anyway, I'm not sure if I should call you mother - you look young enough to be my sister!" [Katiana]

"Hu hu hu! I suppose my great-great-grandmother's side ages very well, after all she is an ancient dra... ah never-mind that. Well, just call me big-sister, then!" [Mother Duchess, Wudemia]

My steward came up next to me.

"My Lord, we have some dispatches that requires your attention, if you could make time?" [Stephanus the Steward]

I nodded at him.

"Mother, dear wife, there is some work that I have to take care of before lunch - we will meet in 90 minutes in the lunch hall." 

My mother linked her arm into Katiana's and started to stride towards the manor entrance.

As they passed me, my mother whispered at me.

"Nitram dear, if you don't take proper care of your wife, I will steal her away, just as a friendly warning." [Mother Duchess, Wudemia]

Two pages opened the manor's double door for them as they approached.

Sigh... what a handful my mother could be.

I heard my mother chatter away as she led my wife towards the inner salon.

"So dear Katiana, where are your cute slimes you always had around you? Oh hello there Nozomi! Clever child! Hiding in plain sight! Why are you missing eyes, though?" [Mother Duchess, Wudemia]

And I heard an urgent "PSSSTTT!" from Katiana at the last part of my mother's words, before they disappeared into the salon.

Missing eyes?


My steward followed me into my office.

"Steward, I know I can be a bit dense, at times - but why do I have the feeling there are more and more mysteries being uncovered around my wife? Each time I solve one conundrum, three more pop up..."

"Pardon my Lord, my Lady does indeed exude a certain exotic aura, but isn't that also part of her charm as the Duchess? Here are the dispatches, my Lord." [Stephanus the Steward]

Well, someone has been fully wrapped around the delicate finger of Katiana, that is for sure.

My steward handed me a medium sized pile of correspondance and reports.

"I see, decline this one, decline this one, accept these three, put this one aside for now. Hm, this one is about Katiana's projects, so pass it on to her..."

I went through the various paper work efficiently. 

One of the last items was a coded missive from the bakery.

"Report on Duchess Katiana's previous where-abouts. After leaving Maldeva, she was seen selling item drops in various dungeon towns, in a path roughly going west. Before her appearance at the estate, she was last seen near the infamous dungeon city of Blackenfelds. More to follow."

Hm, well I knew that thanks to my mother.

The last item was a second missive from my bakery agents.

"Update. All the dungeons had been cleared during the time the Duchess Katiana was visiting the respective linked dungeon town or city. No record of any boss-drops being sold by her. Suspect she followed and was protected by same adventure party that cleared Maldeva, and possibly became their trusted and dedicated drop-seller. Proof found - famous S-rank adventurer party 'Wings of the Goddess' seen in city of Blackenfelds same time the Duchess Katiana was there - intermittent interactions between the Duchess Katiana and members of the party confirmed."

Well, if 'Wings of the Goddess' were the ones clearing the dungeons, then of course they would not bother selling the boss-drops. 

This party was well known to donate a large number of boss-drops and money to orphanages and retired adventurer homes around the continent in various countries.

But some old half-memory was bugging me about 'Wings of the Goddess'... what was it?


Even though I proofread thirty times before hitting "PUBLISH", why in seven bells name do I still find errors??? Sigh.

11