Mind Your Heart Chapter 1
50 1 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Rei is returning to the physical setting of a classroom after being secluded for years and being homeschooled for a period of time. However, this time, she'll be a university student.

Rei's sitting at the back of the classroom by the exit, as if to hide her existence. All she can hear is the professor's lecture while most of the students are diligently listening; some are not paying attention, chatting with one another; and one at the far end was simply fidgeting.

Meanwhile, Rei is being indifferent. All she wants is for the class to end already and retreat to her usual spot. She does not care at all what’s going on with everyone else. But she feels like she has no other choice but to ardently listen to the old man giving lessons in front of the room. Maybe it isn’t so bad to learn something, after all.

Rei is just getting into the lecture and she gets distracted. She looks at the foot that kicked her seat and it retracts. She looks up to the kicker's face and sees the warmest brown eyes she's ever seen as she glances up. His face slightly bowed down.

“Oops, I’m sorry.”

Rei nods and returns her attention to the professor.

“That would be all for today,” announced the professor as he tidies his teaching equipment.

Rei jumped out of her chair, grabbed her belongings, and made haste into a secluded garden on campus. It was a humid afternoon, the ground is clumped up with weeds – still the same as before when she first discovered the place, there were few trellises covered in flowers. The apparent contrast between the dainty pink petals and the vibrant green leaves of the Sakura tree in the central part of the garden heralds the arrival of summer. She walked down the grass-covered stone path to the only bench in the area. Her face was flushed from the heat, just like the pink Sakura blooms. She laid down on the bench, sighed deeply, and covered her eyes with her arm to shield them from the sunlight.

After a while, there was rustling and noises, which drew Rei’s attention.

She gradually lifted herself and turned her head to look around. To her surprise, as she adjusted her eyes to the bright sunlight, she noticed a man and a woman who appeared to be in a tense situation.

Meanwhile, on the other side of the garden, a guy – Denjirou Jin, confesses his love to a woman – Yumi.

“Yumi, I enjoy talking to you and I really like you and I’m hoping we can be more than friends. So, please go out with me.”

Yumi looked down when she heard it. "I enjoy talking to you too. But I'm not looking to date anyone right now. Sorry!” She rushed out of the scene as if she didn't know what to do.

The bench creaked as Rei turned her body, drawing Denjirou's attention who had a glum expression on his face.

 Their eyes met.

Rei got up. “I-I was just resting. I didn’t know other people came here,” she said, flustered.

Denjirou approached Rei and she stood up and moved to the other side of the chair, clutching her bag tightly.

“Thanks,” he said as he took a seat.

She noticed that he looks like he’s about to cry. Rei was simply unable to deal with the awkwardness of the situation. The situation indicates that something is wrong and prompts her to act to fix the situation. She didn't know what to do, so she looked for ways to get away from the situation.

She abruptly stood up and walked to the nearest vending machine, her two hands on her temples. She came back with two sodas in her hand. She bought an orange soda for herself and a lemon-lime soda at random. Rei sat on the other side of the bench, next to Denjirou, and placed the can of soda next to him.

“Thanks,” he said, forcing a smile.

Rei did not respond. She leaned back on the bench, sipping her drink, her gaze wandering. Then everything fell silent. There were only the two of them in the garden, and they were both aware of each other's presence. With Rei's apparent lack of empathy and Denjirou's loss of composure, neither seemed willing to break the awkward silence. The only sound is the chirping of birds.

He burst into tears all of a sudden. Rei was taken aback and forced to turn around.

"Sorry, this isn't manly of me," Denjirou sniffed. He lowered his head, wiping his tears away with his forearm. "You can cry as much as you want," Rei said, relaxing her posture and clearing her throat.

And he cried all he wanted; the feeling of rejection still fresh in his mind. What was supposed to be a happy day in which he was finally able to express the strong feelings he had been suppressing for a long time became heartbreak. Denjirou clenched his teeth and covered his mouth with a trembling hand.

Rei yawned and looked at him emotionlessly, as if she didn't seem to care. She attempted to console him by gently patting him on the back. “There, there. You'll get over it.”

Denjirou chuckled at Rei, but she remained motionless. "Maybe it just wasn't meant to be."

After a long pause, she responded flatly, “Perhaps. It must be painful.”

Denjirou leaned in. "Sure, it is. I feel like my heart was shattered," he sobbed, squeezing the soda can, which was still coated in condensation.

"You must have really liked her a lot for you to be this hurt, huh?" she muttered as she scuffed her shoes on the ground.

“Yeah. For a long time.”

Rei found it incredulous; her face devoid of emotion. "How devoted." She said it with a laid-back demeanor.

“Eh?” Denjirou said in surprise.

Rei was checking her watch.

"Oh, don't mind me," she murmured, draping her bag over her shoulder. "As much as I'd like to console your broken heart, I'm afraid I can't. I've got to get to my next class."

She got to her feet and raised her arm. “Ciao.”

Suddenly, Denjirou grabbed her hand after walking a few steps. Rei looked back in surprise.

"Your name. I didn't get your name."

"My name? I'm nothing important," she said dryly, walking away.

“Thank you for your time.”

Rei responded by holding her arm up.

 

1