Natasha
1.1k 1 23
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Nagato leaned against the tree, his face frowning upon looking at the horizon. An incredible town illuminated by midnight lamps spread as far as the eyes sought. It was far larger than most of the villages back in Nagato's world, far more advanced, too.

Everything here was made of steel or either stone, including a few more valuable fabrics. People traveled with strange things called "cars" that were perhaps the most confusing part of this world.

'I have already spent 3 days in this place, yet I still haven't figured a way back.' Nagato sighed, then removed the hood from his face, revealing his two violet eyes. Fortunately, even though chakra doesn't exist here, he can still use all of his powers.

Perhaps his body canals were infused with the energy of this world instead. Still... it was strange. He had stepped into the portal with Yahiko's body, yet somehow his true figure appeared here.

And an even stranger thing... Nagato couldn't feel any discomfort. His entire body has recovered: he could feel the power boiling up inside him. A being that can open a portal between two dimensions and restore his true powers... just who could it be. If he could find that person, however, he could probably get back to the Rain Village.

"Do I even want to get back?" Nagato whispered, looking up at the sky full of stars. That world has given him nothing but pain and suffering. Perhaps here....

"No, this place is nothing better," Nagato said, returning his gaze to the city. "As long as humans exist, suffering will never cease to be. Perhaps now this world is much more stable than mine, but what about ten years? What about a hundred years?"

Nagato regained his composure. He had to get back and execute the plan before it's too late, maybe, he could grant this world eternal peace as well.

Unfortunately, Nagato's exertions for the past three days were useless. Wandering throughout the entire town, he barely got any information. To top it off, he didn't feel any threat in this place at all.

What kind of town was this? He couldn't spot a single warrior here. Instead, it was crowded with civilians. Truly a bizarre place he arrived in.

"There is nothing I can do." Nagato sighed, then cocked his head away from the town. "Perhaps I should travel to another town. Either way, I have to find out more."

-

Natasha grabbed the man by the collar, pushing his face at her ascending knee. The enemy didn't have enough time to retaliate as his consciousness drifted away.

The other two men appeared from the rear shortly, holding sharp knives in their hands. Natasha reacted accordingly and unsheathed a gun from the fallen man.

Like a true killer, she didn't hesitate to shoot the other two before they approached. They both fell to the ground with a loud thud, blood leaking away from their foreheads.

"Damn it, I was too careless." Natasha, after checking the entire barrack for any danger, sighed and took a seat on the ground. Her wounds on the chest were throbbing violently, bringing back unpleasant memories.

Natasha tore her gown apart, revealing a rather deep cut underneath. She gritted her teeth and promptly applied the disinfectant upon the wound. Not a single shout came out of her mouth as she continued with the first kit.

Her frown deepened, however, when she heard steps coming from outside the barracks. She hurriedly leaned against the wall, reloading the weapon. Perhaps she isn't at her strongest now, but it didn't matter.

"Calm down, Natasha." A deep voice, almost like a whisper, echoed in her ears. She, however, heaved a sigh and continued to bind her wound. Nick Fury stepped out from the darkness.

"I have just finished my job and you appear immediately. Will I ever have any rest?" Natasha mumbled, then looked up. Nick was as serious as ever, silently inspecting the surroundings.

"You are an avenger, Natasha. You should be able to operate at any moment if needed." Nick said.

Natasha rolled her eyes in response. "So what is it? The job seems serious since you appeared yourself."

"It's more unusual than others, but I wouldn't say it's that dangerous," Nick answered, taking out a picture from his pocket. "A few days ago, three people were found dead in a valley in Chicago. This person is the one who has killed them."

Natasha took the picture in her hands, scrutinizing it. A youth of a rather skinny build stood in the middle of the street, covering most of his face with a black hood. However, he didn't seem to have any interest in hiding, since most of his features were still revealed.

"So I just have to hunt him down?" Natasha sighed. "I can't understand what's so special about this for me to get involved. He is just a murderer. Inform the police and you are done with it."

"The people found dead in the valley were all from the underground. From the deepest part of it." Nick took a moment of silence, then said. "I found no information about the killer. It's as if he has never existed. Besides, this person didn't just kill three people, but he also left all the evidence, including fingerprints."

"So he wants us to find him?" Natasha raised an eyebrow.

"Perhaps. Or maybe it's a rookie mistake." Nick said, however, he seemed troubled by his own words.

"A rookie taking out three people from the underground?" Natasha objected.

"His eyes are... violet, Natasha." Nick sighed, then swept his forehead with his hands.

"A mutant?" Natasha frowned, settling against the wall. She thought she would finally have some rest with an easier task, yet it doesn't seem to be the case anymore.

Nick nodded, then turned around to leave. Before completely disappearing in the darkness, however, he glanced backward one last time.

"The airplane will await you tomorrow."

-

The Ancient One looked into the sky, lost in the thoughts never to be known to mortals. Her hands formed a bizarre circle, then it grew more prominent.

Looking into the circle, The Ancient One frowned.

"The future has been changed tremendously."

23