Chapter Twenty Two: Castle Spree
170 0 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

As I followed my minions into the burning castle I began to focus on the controller that had bonded to me. The incredibly powerful object was already packed with hundreds of powerful characters that it could freely summon each of whom gave me significant powers that could be called upon with nothing more than a thought. 

The arcane artifact that had been bonded to me was an object that if truly mastered and empowered to its maximum potential power would allow me to call upon any supposedly fictional heroine or villainess in all of Earth's fiction. For now, the thing was mostly limited to calling upon animated characters but in my hands, it would grow by leaps and bounds with every use. This was due to the various empowering perks and supernatural abilities I possessed such as "Dancing Danger", an abnormality power I possessed that allowed me to use any magical item or weapon with ease and facilitated efficient mastery of such items. 

I mentally perused the menu that proudly and prominently filled one of my mind's eye's theaters. It was positively filled with various characters for me to choose from, though some of them stuck out more to me than others. 

I made it into the mouth of the castle right behind my minions. They dove recklessly into the pitch-black flames and laughed as the fires left them untouched. The fires, due to being under my control, were able to selectively target and destroy only my enemies. To my minions, the fires were utterly harmless and actually cold to the touch rather than warm. 

The creatures who served and worshiped me dashed down the stairwell that led into the more inhabited parts of the castle. The fires had easily spread to engulf even the area beyond the stairwell and the distant, pained screams of the creatures inside of the place could be heard. The castle's interior was now pitch black, ravaged by the angry, abyssal flames which were greedily feeding on every single creature inside of the castle aside from my servants. 

As I walked onto the zenith of the burning stairwell I stored the knife I had used to kill one of the werewolves and in the same hand that it had once been placed I materialized the remote. The thing appeared in my hand nearly instantly and I could feel its intense eagerness to be used. 

"Hello owner! How may I be of service?" The remote asked, its voice projecting outward and filling the air as clearly as the crackle of the black fires did. The object was unaffected by the flames, as mysteriously untouched by them as any other objects inside of the castle were. 

The modern "wand" felt right in my hands. I could appreciate the potency of the device and readied myself to use it even as I wandered deeper and deeper into the castle. All around me the black fires began to die down, though not the ones ahead of me, I still wanted my enemies to die and for my minions to have one effortless victory. I just didn't want to spook whoever I opted to summon first.


In the world of Mareth I also allowed the remote to fill one of my two hands. My other hand was unoccupied and filled the air right in front of me. 

I was standing in the middle of a quickly constructed series of structures, and on the ground over a large set of interconnected tunnels. The structures were simple huts created by usages of my "Creation" superpower, an ability that allowed me to easily create even an entire universe's worth of matter in a moment. Creating the simple huts had taken nothing more than a simple thought, as had the act of shaping the tunnels. 

One handy aspect of utilizing my powers this way was that it still counted as an individual usage of my powers and as a result of that "Creation" was expanding in power. I could feel my mental "Powerpedia" filling with information about "Creation", and it made me want to use the power even more. 

"Powerpedia" was an incredibly handy perk that allowed me to keep track of the countless powers I possessed and gained more information on each power whenever I utilized them. It was situated inside of my mind's eye and represented by an icon that looked like a book. I had mentally tapped it a few times and in doing so had seen information on powers like "Void Burn" the power that I had utilized to create the pitch-black flames that were raging inside of Castle Spree. 

The "Void Burn" entry was quite informative. 

[Power Name: Void Burn

Power Source: A Choose Your Own Adventure from the Earth you have designated as your homeworld

Information On Said Power: When you touch an object or creature you can ignite it with vantablack flames. These inextinguishable flames will quickly spread across the object and then spread to anything the object is wearing or being held by. It will continue to spread beyond that but at a rate much slower than ordinary flames.

These flames will rapidly consume and destroy any sort of living matter they touch, and cannot be extinguished unless you will them to be extinguished. The only possible escape for any living matter you touch, unless you extinguish the flames yourself, is to amputate the limb the fire is on before it spreads to a place such as one's head or chest. The fire itself is capable of harming and killing even ascendant-level beings should they prove weaker than you.

Combinations: This power is one that you can utilize to its fullest and most dangerous extent due to your possession of the mighty power known as "Power Matrix". "Power Matrix" allows you to focus your powers and determine who all can be hurt by them, which allows you to make your servants immune to "Void Burn". This also combines exceptionally well with powers such as "Creation" since you can create objects and then protect them with "Void Burn" to make them unapproachable for any enemies of yours.]

The entry actually continued past that point, or rather the "Combinations" section did. A power like this had a truly vast number of uses and combined quite well with other powers so it made sense that the section outlining potential combos was extensive. Most of the uses that were listed in the combinations section were related to assassinations since the fires were so incredibly potent and I possessed a number of powers that made me an unbelievably dangerous assassin if I felt like being subtle. 

The very same choose your own adventure from which I grabbed "Void Burn" had a whole section of superpowers that were focused on stealth, deception, and other related powers. That was actually where I had snagged "Void Burn" from in the first place! And that was hardly the strongest power I had gotten from that particularly wonderful place to snag powers. 

I glanced at the bright blue remote in my hand and chuckled. 

"So this is what it's like to have serious powers huh?" I asked, to no one in particular. I was now many, many times stronger than I had been before I had the remote. I was packing serious power now and I wanted to use it all. And it was due, in no small part, to the artifact in my hand. 

My mind's eye was still dashing through each of the possible people I could conjure. The entries were intriguing as they provided a little bit of a backstory on each character, listed their powers and abilities, their alignment, and shared with me the power I'd gain if I summoned them. Some of the powers were weakened versions of their powers, but others were wholly different from their abilities, and even characters who lacked superpowers themselves gave me some sort of ability. 

[Character Name: Starfire

Origin: The D.C. Comic Multiverse

Biography: This alien princess is a member of a species known as "Tamaraneans" whose physiologies include the ability to absorb solar energy and utilize it in a number of ways that are somewhat similar to what Kryptonians can do. "Starfire", or rather Princess Koriand'r is the younger sister of "Blackfire", or Princess Komand'r, and the two are bitter enemies.

The two princesses of Tamaran have a fierce rivalry and deep hatred for each other, due to Blackfire's childhood trauma. This trauma was the result of a disease that stripped her of some of her powers and later on, partially resulted in her losing her right to claim her planet's throne. All of this together led her to hate her younger sister who was not afflicted with the same illness. Blackfire betrayed her homeworld to a number of ancient enemies of Tamaraneans, and as part of her reward got to enslave Starfire who she relentlessly tortured and brutalized for years before powerful aliens captured the two siblings for the sake of research. 

The aliens experimented on them and their research ended up boosting Starfire's powers and restoring Blackfire's own abilities to the level of her sister. Starfire escaped, freed Blackfire, was betrayed again by her, and only barely managed to escape from her hated foe, fleeing to Earth. On Prime Earth, she'd join various factions of superheroes, most notably the Teen Titans and the Justice League.

Powers: Various powers so long as she has absorbed ultraviolet radiation. She also has a somewhat unique, other than in her fellow Tamaraneans, power in her ability to instantly learn languages by kissing speakers of said languages. When she is filled with ultraviolet radiation she can fly, exert near ultra-human levels of strength, and due to experiments done on her even create energy-based attacks known as "Starbolts". 

Alignment: Neutral-Good, though this is not an issue for you due to your own powers. 

Power You'd Gain: Cultural Immunity. This power grants you immunity to negative stigmas due to purely cultural expectations.]

The entry was quite detailed, and as I read Blackfire's own entry it was clear that the details matched up. Starfire and Blackfire were both quite powerful, and they were far from the most powerful beings I could conjure since I could conjure various Kryptonians including Ursa, Kara, and an alternate Kara from a universe within the grander D.C. multiverse; Powergirl. I could also conjure Saiyans, such as Caulifla, and a female Viltrumite named Anissa. 

The remote also informed me that by selecting someone I'd be conjuring them at their peak, which often meant that they'd have powers beyond what even their most powerful, fictional selves had once had.

I turned my gaze upward from the remote and with a simple flick of my wrist I did something fun; I created life. By using "Omnikinesis" I was able to easily create a pair of naked humans, one male and one female. The two humans, tall, bronze-skinned members of their species, were muscular and brimming with potential. They were kneeling in front of me, their minds surging to life as they took in their surroundings. 

"Hello, little ones. We're going to have such fun." I muttered, my eyes filling with darkness as I spoke and a thin, sinister smile stretching my lips upward. I felt my mind begin to expand as my "Powerpedia" drew in more information about "Omnikinesis".


Inside of Castle Spree, my minions scampered about. I could see and hear them exploring the place, carelessly ignoring the flames burning around them. The decorations and furnishings of Castle Spree were left unbothered by my flames as well, as I had tuned them to only destroy organic things. Whole suits of armor were left completely unphased by the potent flames burning all around us. 

I was in the middle of a long tunnel that led into the parts of the castle where the place's lords once ruled from. The soft crackle of flames and the light pitter-patter of footfalls were the main sounds I could hear. I could also sometimes hear the faint and sudden cries of animals as they were abruptly consumed in the heat of the black fire.

The ceiling of the building hovered only a few feet above me. It was made from the same marble as the castle's courtyard had been, and the stark white glow was so bright that even a human would have almost been able to see it. Distantly I heard a minion loudly gasp in delight.

The creature began to run towards me, and when I turned in his direction I saw the orc-like brown minion sprinting towards me carrying some gold. He only stopped when he stood in front of me and he fell to his knees. 

"For you!" He uttered, reverentially. He was holding some gold coins and extending his hands towards my gauntlet. I chuckled and moved my gauntlet towards him. When the gloved hand touched the gold it immediately vanished. I almost sighed in delight as I felt the gold whisk away to the treasury in the netherworld, and do something else as well; empower me ever so slightly. 

Due to my nature as an archdemon of greed and as a dragon lord, two mighty kinds of ascendant beings, every bit of treasure I collected made me more powerful, even if the treasure in question was as small as the handful of gold my minion had given me. Even minuscule amounts of treasure pushed my powers to ever greater heights, though I'd need fortunes if I wanted to become truly mighty this way. The gold coins becoming mine caused me to feel the weight of my powers become a little bit more powerful, and it also sent a slight wave of pleasure through me, beginning in my gauntlet-wearing arm but not stopping there. 

With my smile still plastered on my face I began to wander deeper into the darkened bowels of Castle Spree. 

2