Chapter Thirty Nine: Demons And Duels
84 0 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

There were few places in the incredibly hot desert wastes of Mareth wherein one could find any sort of real relief from either the heat or the entire planet's weird lack of rain. The oasis atop the hill was one such place. 

Atop the sandy hill, there was a massive oasis filled with corrupt but beautiful water. The oasis was known to the factions that had the stern stuff needed to survive in the desert wilderness as a sort of neutral place though it was one with a rather bizarre rule. Or at least the rule was bizarre to those unfamiliar with Mareth and how obscene a world it was. 

The oasis was firmly under the control of a group of demons, powerful and perpetually naked almost-humanoid beings who ensured that any who needed water could drink from the place without being bothered. In exchange for the freedom to drink from the oasis unbothered by any enemies, one had to do so nakedly and unarmed. 

At the moment the oasis was inhabited solely by demons. The demons were not like the other demons that the divinity with a million eyes was used too, and when his scout and pet the powerful hellhound he had been given as a gift by the powerful demon in the mountains ascended the hill the demonic canine noticed that as well. 

The demons who were gathered around the oasis were stranger than the demons that the lord of darkness was used to. He had seen them mere minutes after first arriving in this new world, and had been studying them for a while now. The demons looked like dark-skinned humanoids with a few "demonic" features such as hoofed feet, wings and tails, and red eyes. The only thing that marked them as truly demonic was something off about them that only the god could see; they lacked something, internally. Their souls. 

The demons of the oasis, like all Marethian demons, lacked their souls. They lost, or in many cases consumed, their souls while they were becoming demons, it was the final step they took on a long road that had once begun with them being ordinary mortals. 

The lords and ladies of the oasis had a central camp situated right in front of the massive water hole. The camp was packed with sleeping demons, many of whom were covered in liquids that were decidedly not water. The demons were a diverse bunch, physically speaking. Though all of their skins were dark from the sun, or "Sun-kissed" as they would have preferred to be described, their actual appearances were often radically different. 

Some had the basic frames of ordinary humanoids, such as humans and orcs, while others had the more distinctive appearances of centaurs, in some cases even complete with dangling equine members. A few of the demons had different types of wings, while others had genitalia that could only be called "Inhuman". A few of the demons radiated fel power, their bodies so mighty that they couldn't help but casually emit unholy energies. And yet none of them had the same power as the eerie hellhound who had just reached the top of the hill on which the oasis sat. 

The distant hound that was slowly stalking towards them possessed dark powers granted to him by his god and master. That same benefactor, patron, and master was subtly driving the beast forward. The monstrous creature's two heads were firmly locked on the oasis, and no one but the strange master of the hellish hound knew what would come of the next few minutes before they unfolded.


In the mystical arena wherein countless adventurers had been thoroughly tested in the past, a number of people watched one specific arena. I was among them, my eyes trained on the clever rogue and former princess of the fire-nation; Azula. 

She was positioned a dozen meters away from the handsome rogue that had brought us here. Ashton smirked at her and motioned for her to make the first move. I heard her heartbeat quicken as she observed the invasion, and began to smile softly. 

I could see her life force moving within her, responding to her mental commands with ease. She was an experienced, exceptionally talented bender after all, so it made sense that something like this would be easy for her to do. She was focusing her chi on her feet, strengthening her legs for what she was about to do. 

I watched, silently, as Azula recalled every moment of earthbending she had ever seen. She effortlessly recalled every movement even the weakest earthbenders had performed in her presence. Her analytical mind had been hyper-fixated on bending for her entire life, even in the days when she was in a mental asylum and the rest of her first life. A life which she would spend first attempting to manipulate her brother and then eventually becoming a hermit who commanded and controlled a network of spies. 

She began her efforts to test her shadowy foe by utilizing the geokinetic abilities of an earthbender to lift up some of the arena's rocky floor and hurl it at him seemingly effortlessly. To her slight amusement, Ashton's eyes widened when he saw the earthy floor hurtling through the air towards him. Nevertheless, the rogue was swift and efficient and dodged the opening salvo with panache, acrobatically stepping out of the way and almost dancing as he sized up the woman's seemingly magical abilities. 

"Okay, that's cute." Ashton quipped as he bounced a bit further away from Azula. I sensed the rest of my companions also display a bit of shock at Azula's abilities. This made sense since none of us aside from me had a full understanding of what the others could do, and despite the fact that most of the Disney characters knew each other Azula was not a Disney character and so she was unknown to them. 

Azula was now, like me, an Avatar-level entity capable of bending all four of the elements and even utilizing the sacred fifth art of energy-bending. Azula immediately demonstrated her mastery of her native element by crouching down and swinging her legs in the direction of Ashton. As she did this she unleashed a powerful torrent of flames at her enemy. This caused him to let out a small, quiet gasp as he leaped out of the way of the blue fire which missed him and slammed into the barrier. 

The arcane wall lit up and the turquoise-colored flames effortlessly spread across the entire length of the back end of the barrier. Ashton began to visibly sweat before the flames disappeared, and the air behind him began to slowly cool down. 

"Fire now huh? Are you... an elementalist?" The rogue asked, curiously as he began to reevaluate his initial hypothesis concerning Azula's powers. As he was speaking I heard the soft sound of a clipboard being lifted up and a second later heard a voice ring out behind me. 

"Fohion Ironheart and... Fiona?" Someone behind me uttered. The tall, green ogress and I both turned to face the voice. When we turned around we saw that it belonged to a gnome some distance away. He was standing right beside another of the magical arenas. I chuckled and began to walk towards him, all while casually stretching my arms. I was excited to face Fiona. She was a powerful warrior and I had yet to really face one of those. Facing off against someone capable of holding her own would present a fun challenge.


The hellhound silently wandered into the camp, its borders indicated by a light wall of thin wooden spikes that served to keep out any unwanted intruders and also to keep in any "guests". His two heads scanned the camp and studied the collapsed, passed-out forms of various demons. They were different from the demons he had met over the course of his life. 

The demons the hellhound had met were far more controlled than these almost feral beings were. Most of the demons that the corrupt canine had encountered were like its master, thoughtful, uniquely powerful beings who had mighty agendas. These demons were not so mighty. They were simple hedonists who'd eagerly ravish anyone who couldn't offer them something new and unique. And their simplicity made them ideal servants and worshipers of the loathsome beast's new master. 

It was while the hellhound was making his way to the heart of the camp that a strange, floating eye appeared next to the transformed beast. The floating orb was a powerful, weirdly beautiful object that was a physical manifestation of the creature's master, the dark divinity known as Fohion. The eye was a scarlet object that floated in the air next to the powerful and corrupt creature. 

The canine studied the orb and when it began to approach him he felt a powerful calmness subdue any other emotions he might have otherwise felt. The object touched his shoulder and he felt a strange wave of heat blossom and spread out from where he was touched! The hellhound shivered as he felt the heat rush through his body, and his two heads gritted their teeth when they felt the heat suddenly turn up in intensity and begin to lightly burn their skin. 

"Relax pet..." The eye that was studying them whispered, even as a pair of invisible hands touched and marked the beast. The creature was being burned in a very specific way, a way that left a mark. Future historians would come to recognize the wicked brand that was being burned into the massive beast's shoulder as a potent and evil symbol that denoted one's status as one of the "Marked" of Fohion, special and powerful servants entrusted to act as his ambassadors and inevitably blessed with unholy powers. 

The orb radiated a sort of loose heat that was then directed and shaped by the powerful and ethereal arms that invisibly protruded out of the eye. The heat cut into the beast and made the creature sweat as its fur was burned and its flesh was seared to form intricate patterns that would have been mildly hypnotic if gazed at by lesser beings such as wild, insentient animals. 

The creature felt its powers beginning to grow as its flesh was seared and turned into something more aesthetically pleasing to its cruel lord. Despite Fohion's casual cruelty, he was also quite generous and what he was doing at the moment was evidence of that.

The hellhound was growing in every respect, with things as small as his strength increasing to things as potentially world-changing as him gaining the power to use magic, even if that particular power was quite unrefined and would need to be nurtured and honed before he could become a truly mighty mage. 

The hound was even growing in height! As he was marked and transformed by his lord, he felt every aspect of himself growing in both current might and potential. And for the first time since he was awakened and given to his master, he felt tears beginning to form in all four of his eyes. He was filled with gratitude towards his magnanimous master!


While my eye branded my pet I found myself standing on one end of a small arena, across from one of my new allies; the princess of Far Far Away, Fiona. 

The princess was beautiful, though I knew that many of the onlookers observing the two of us would insist that she wasn't simply because of her green skin and imposing height. She wore custom-crafted armor that hid most of her body from view though it didn't take a god of wisdom to figure out that the rest of her body was the same color as her head.

She gazed at me, a powerful, feigned, coldness in her eyes. I was smart and empathetic enough to see through the ruse, but I could also see an emotion that she didn't reveal even in her gaze; a certain amount of bloodlust. That made me smile, my own gaze a cool, confident, and ready one. 

Fiona began to run at me, her look transforming even as she pulled out her blade and pointed it at me. As she ran at me I could sense her bloodlust beginning to become the dominant emotion within the mighty ogress. I began to laugh and when she began to swing her blade I leaped forward and into the fray. 

I moved in close to the powerful creature I had summoned to be one of the more physical fighters in my party. As I leaped at her I forced her to adjust her swing, since she was even taller than I was, and I lashed out at the ogress with my fists. I, of course, was holding back but I was also taking this fight seriously so that I could grow used to using my hands in combat. 

As Fiona and I began our first exchange of blows the rest of my party was divvied up to take tests to show off our various forms of strength. I began to laugh softly as Fiona looked at me and her eyes filled with a potent cocktail of emotions, such as desire, bloodlust, and even a sort of twisted pride. 

In the background, I could hear Azula and Ashton continuing their duel. I could distantly see Mulan lining up to clash with another warrior who was dressed in the loose armor of a ranger. With "Multisense" I could keep my eyes on my less martially oriented allies such as Ariel and Megara. I was also able to watch a very interesting matchup that was about to occur; Merida versus Aurora! 

My multiversal eyes were not just limited to seeing things occurring here, though. I could also see events occurring elsewhere, such as in the halfling fortress, in my base in Mareth, and even in the mountains where my minotaur army was brutally rampaging and cutting a path to the powerful headquarters of the demonic army under the command of Lethice, Mareth's mighty demon queen. In time my forces would be in the perfect position for me to step in and lay claim to Lethice and her forces, forces I intended to subsume and make my own in mind, body, and when possible, soul.

2