Chapter 0 Part 2
340 0 10
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Edwin Raanan Donn was born in a quiet fishing town in the northeast part of the Kingdom of Ostara, closer to the end of the winter months. He was born as the first child of the second wife.

Alden Rowan Donn’s third child and second son. While his birth was a quiet, peaceful, mostly normal moment. A happy occurrence for everyone involved; The, preceding months were anything but.

They ran rife with drama and tears. In a different world, he may have been born a sole boy to a runaway mother, or wouldn’t have been born at all.

But alas, a black-haired boy had been brought to this world, he was given his first name by his grandfather, from his mother's side, Amos, who hoped Edwin would grow up to be a fortunate soul that carried forth good luck.

And his father proposed his second name, Raanan, fashioned more to the elven nomad tribes that roam the northwestern part of the country, the same ones who normally lived in the Assythian lands or the Ezohr kingdom where they had more chances at a peaceful life.

The hopes of the person that gave him this name were that he would grow up the best he could.

Grandfather Amos didn’t like it that much. He didn’t voice his discontent because Alden’s first wife was of Elven blood, but he surely would never call him by that name.

He was a “lively one” as the housemaid called him, he would kick and move non-stop while he slept, making cute little noises, would cry if his mother was too far away, and he loved to be fed, overall a healthy normal baby.

His brother Lucius didn’t care much for him. Some would say he was rather hostile, but they just chalked it up as mere jealousy of not being the only boy in the house.

His sister Sofia was still a baby during this time, but the two of them would surely grow up to be close. His big sister would make him an accomplice to her pranks over and over again, a mischievous one.

The first years of life would come and go in peaceful days, at age 2 he was already walking and running over the house, making all the women worried sick for his safety, given he had rather… “dangerous” proclivities, like reaching for the deadliest objects in the household, like his father’s axes, ear momma’s catalyst, the cutlery, and the chimney.

Somehow, even if they hid all the dangerous items, even if they barricade the chimney or just left it unlit, he would find them, or just find new ways to almost indivertibly kill himself.

This would end by age 4 when he would change his near-dead encounters with “good-natured” and “innocent”, elaborate pranks.

Or at least that was what sister Sofia would say to him before stuffing bugs in the maid’s bed and shoes or throwing buckets of cold water on Alden when he was training in the garden, when they got caught, she would either cry or run away taking Edwin by the hand, she never used him as a scapegoat.

At age 5 this started to change a bit, this is when grandfather Amos took an even bigger interest in him, he would take him up for walks across the village, introduced him to a lot of “important” looking people, Edwin had been taught how to greet, to be polite in front of someone you just met and even how to bow, when he bowed in front of Lisa, the librarian, she almost ate him up, he was cute, her heart was stolen by this young trouble maker to be.

But to Amos's disappointment, after greeting he would more often than not just go play with other kids.

He would also spend some afternoons in Amos’s house learning how to read, write, and count. He had mostly grasped the basics.

Another thing changed at age 5. People started to say how much he looked like his father. Some say he was his spitting image, whether this was true or not. The similarities between them were more apparent than with his siblings.

This was the time when he started to notice a change in Freesia momma, while she was caring and sweet, she started to become a bit distant, colder, she was still kind and gentle, but the warmth from before had started to freeze over.

He also started to partake in Alden and Lucius' training. His father wanted to show him the basics of swordsmanship, but unlike his more talented older brother he felt, he just wasn’t up to the task.

Now, by age seven, the winds of fate, or providence, or just plain bad luck, began to rise.

10