Chapter 8
844 4 32
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

In the Wyernwolf empire, the Summer Ball was the most important social event of the year.

Held on the summer solstice, it was viewed by the nobility as a sort of good-luck ritual. It was thought that by showing off the full prosperity of the Empire at the height of the year, they could ensure that the Empire continued to prosper for another full year.

Or at least, that was the excuse. In reality, the nobles saw the Summer Ball as an opportunity to boast and vie for power. Everything, from the most obvious signs, like choice of clothes and choice of companions, to more subtle signals, like the moment one chose to move from the dining room to the ballroom, sent messages to the other attendees. Everyone was watching each other closely, judging and interpreting and planning their own next moves.

And still, Lady Corvina had yet to receive a single comment on her gown, which had been made especially for the event. It was the deep purple of the sky when the sun had just set, covered around the neckline and along the sleeves with intricate gold embroidery, and paired with a set of magnificent amethyst earrings. In an ordinary year, everyone would be falling over themselves to tell her how stunning she was—not out of any genuine feeling, of course, but as a way to curry her favor.

Not that Lady Corvina minded the lack of compliments. No, she was more interested in the same thing that had everyone else distracted: The empty seat in the far corner of the banquet hall.

Lady Corvina—seated with her fiance near, but not at, the Emperor's table—called over one of the maids who was serving the meal.

"Rose, have you heard anything about the arrival of the Saintess?" Corvina asked.

"Um..." Rose glanced around at the crowded table, and then leaned down to speak quietly to Corvina. "A messenger from the church came earlier and said the Saintess has been held up by some sort of ritual. They had to do it now because of the star alignment or something. But they asked us not to make an announcement about it because the Saintess didn't want to cause a commotion. She'll come after the ceremony is over."

Corvina smiled at this news. She found it amusing to see how anxious and full of nervous excitement everyone else in the crowd was now that the object of their anticipation had failed to materialize when expected. They clearly didn't know what to do with themselves, and that kind of mood could be useful if you knew how to manipulate it.

As for the Saintess, Corvina fully expected her to be largely unremarkable. Her main importance was as a pawn being used by the Church of Coris to try to regain some of its past influence. Like any pawn, it was only her position on the board that made her worth paying attention to. And the church was making a well-calculated move by having her arrive late—it made her loom even larger in the minds of everyone present. The best way to make an ordinary woman seem divine was by keeping her out of view.

"Thank you, Rose," said Corvina. "I suppose we'll have to wait a bit longer for the main event, then."


Anne was participating in a ritual, of a sort. She was currently being dressed and groomed for the ball while being lectured by Eva.

"I love nothing more than to see you smile, and it makes my heart sing to know you were having fun with your brother yesterday, but at the same time, I just want to remind you again that it's really important to maintain your image as the Saintess in front of important people. Not that any of them are as important as you, but they can't understand how important you are unless you show them an image that they understand as important. They can't see your heart the way I can. That's why—"

Anne wasn't really paying attention. This room, unlike her room back in Longren, had a mirror, and she was currently staring at herself in it.

This was the first time she had really seen herself in this new body. The ball gown she had been given was long and gauzy and a very light blue color, with a shawl that was even gauzier. The way the fabric draped emphasized her figure, which was rather full, and added to the impression of her as warm and friendly. The dress was also covered in silver embroidery almost the same color as the fabric. It was subtle, but expensive looking. She was adorned with jewelry of a similar silver color with inset blue stones. Two acolytes were fussing around her, arranging her hair in an updo (which carefully included loops of hair on either side that covered her ears), and applying subtle makeup to her lips and eyes.

The overall effect was beautiful and otherworldly. Saintly.

Anne thought she looked ridiculous. Or rather, she felt ridiculous.

It wasn't that she didn't like her new body. She'd had a similar build in her previous life, so being a little on the heavier side didn't phase her. Although she had to admit that the Saintess carried the weight better than she had. The slight roundness just made her look even more adorable.

But in her previous life, Anne had always kept her hair short and it had been years since she had last worn a dress. She'd just never been particularly feminine. But the Saintess, as the heroine in a romantic fantasy novel, practically dripped femininity, even in her normal cleric's robes. And now, to be dressed up like this, and to actually see herself like this...

I feel like I'm playing dress-up, she thought. I feel like a doll. I don't feel like myself. It feels wrong.

In truth, Anne had been feeling strange all day after having troubled dreams the night before. If only she could remember what the dreams were about...

"My dear Saintess... Saintess... Anne!"

Pulled out of her reveries, Anne looked down to see Eva kneeling down in front of her. Eva took one of her hands. "I know this is the first time you'll be meeting the nobles of the empire, and it's scary, but please don't be so worried. I'll be with you as your attendant. I'll make sure everything goes smoothly. With me by your side, we'll be sure to find a worthy ally for the rebellion."

Anne nodded, not being able to muster any other reaction.


Anne still couldn't shake that feeling of wrongness as she and Eva (wearing her ordinary cleric's robes) walked across the square from the cathedral to the palace. She still felt wrong as they ascended the steps of the palace and as servants ushered them in and through to the ballroom. She felt even more wrong when her name was announced and the eyes of the empire turned to look at her.

"If you feel overwhelmed, just close your eyes for a moment," Eva whispered to her. "You'll look serene and you can catch your breath."

Anne closed her eyes for a moment and took a breath.

When she opened her eyes, Lady Corvina was there, and she lost her breath again.

Lady Corvina was even more beautiful than Anne had imagined. The book hadn't been inaccurate, exactly, but there was no way mere prose could capture the subtleties of her beauty, like the curve of her neck to her shoulders, or the glint of the chandelier-light in her dignified eyes. And she wasn't sure the book had even mentioned the two beauty marks just under Corvina's left eye, aligned vertically with each other. The beauty marks added depth to her appearance somehow, making her that much more real, and therefore that much more stunning. Anne was mesmerized.

"Welcome to the Imperial Palace, Saintess." Lady Corvina placed a hand lightly on Anne's arm and Anne almost started crying. "We were so pleased that you accepted our invitation. I trust your ritual went well?"

Even her voice is beautiful. Low and deep and slightly raspy and—Oh shit, she just asked me a question.

Anne nodded.

"Excellent, I'm pleased to hear it. Well, I do hope you enjoy your evening. And please, come and find me should you need anything."

Anne tried to curtsy back as Corvina walked away, but her foot slipped and she had to catch herself to stop from falling over.

"That was Lady Corvina, the fiance of Grand Duke Marshal and the illegitimate daughter of the Emperor," whispered Eva, as if this was new information. Which perhaps it would have been, to the original Anne. "She's very smart and very dangerous. I recommend we steer clear of her. On the other hand, her fiance, the Grand Duke, could be a promising ally. We should seek him out."

Anne nodded, and stepped out into the crowded ballroom. A waiter passed carrying a tray of champagne glasses and Anne reached out to grab one as he went by. She had no idea what this body's alcohol tolerance was, but at this point she was desperate enough to find out.

Thanks for reading! 

If you're feeling impatient you can read up through Chapter 83 now on Tapas.

If you'd like to check out my other novel, The Warmonger Duchess and Her Female Husbandyou can read the first 3 chapters for free on my Patreon.

And if you'd like to follow me on Twitter you can find me at @teddy_stonehill

32