Chapter 15
683 3 31
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

"Why are we even back here?" asked Agis, following Anne down the cathedral corridor. "I thought you said you wanted to go to the Aritsan Quarter right away."

"I've at least got to let Eva know where I'm going or she'll probably freak out," said Anne. "And maybe she'll want to come along. If Corvina wants me to show off my position as Saintess then having more people with me will probably make a bigger impression."

"Eva—" said Anne, bursting into her room, but the only person in there was Betty, who was embroidering some churchy patterns on some button-up shirts (Anne's new wardrobe).

"Betty, where's Eva?" asked Anne.

"I'm not sure," said Betty. "I think she said she was going to meet someone?"

That probably meant it was something rebellion related, although Eva usually did that sort of stuff at night, and she usually told Anne where she was going first. Odd.

"Okay, well, if she comes back, tell her I'm taking Agis and going to—"

"Saintess," said a voice behind her.

Anne turned to find an older woman wearing elaborate church robes, more elaborate even than what the high priests wore. She even had one of those fancy church hats like Catholics back from Anne's old world wore. She couldn't remember what they were called.

What was visible of the woman's face under all the finery was lightly lined with age, but her dark green eyes were clear and sharp.

"Your eminence," said Betty, scrambling to her feet and curtsying, confirming Anne's suspicions.

"Who are you?" said Agis, rudely, before Anne jammed her elbow in his side.

"Shut up," Anne hissed at him. "This is clearly the Bishop."

"Who's th—" Anne jabbed him in the side again and he shut up.

Anne gave a slight bow to the Bishop, hoping she'd choose to ignore the little outburst.

"I apologize for not coming to greet you sooner," said the Bishop. Her voice was quiet, but clear in a way that commanded your attention. You felt you had to listen closely to it. "I wanted you to give you a few days to settle in. Do you have everything you require?"

"Yes, your Eminence," said Anne.

"Good, good," said the Bishop, clapping her hands together. "I heard you've been preaching some remarkable new doctrine, as well. Something about vanity...?"

"I apologize if I was out of line, your Eminence," said Anne.

"No, no." The Bishop waved a hand dismissively. "Nothing wrong with shaking things up a little sometimes, get people to reexamine themselves from a new angle. That's the sort of thing that's good for one's soul. And after all, you are the Goddess's most direct representative on this earth."

"Right..." said Anne.

There was an uncomfortable pause, during which Anne could feel the Bishop's sharp eyes piercing into her. Anne couldn't help but hope that the Bishop didn't secretly have some sort of amazing spiritual power that allowed her to literally see a person's soul or something.

"Well then!" said the Bishop, finally. "I suppose I should be going. Busy, busy. Speaking of, I'll send my aid over later this evening with your schedule for the upcoming week, Saintess."

"Schedule?" asked Anne.

"Why, of course," said the Bishop, with a friendly smile. "You didn't think The Grand Cathedral of Coris was some sort of free hotel, did you? As I said, we wanted to give you a few days to settle in, but you will have to do some work eventually... for the sake of spiritually uplifting the common people, you see."

Oh god, thought Anne. I'm gonna have to get my bread basket out, aren't I? I'd better start rehearsing 'blessings be upon you' again, got to make sure I get the tone right.

Anne wasn't quite sure what to make of The Bishop. Something about her seemed different than the other high-ranking church members, although admittedly Anne hadn't interacted with them much. Something about her reminded Anne of Eva.


Across the square at the Imperial Palace, Grand Duke Marshal was adjusting his military uniform in his bedroom mirror when Prince Sebastian burst into the room with a loud groan.

"I'm bored, Marshal!" said the Prince, flopping down on the bed. "The palace is unbelievably dull these days. Won't you do something with me? Perhaps we could play some chess."

"I always beat you at chess," said the Duke. "Besides, I'm busy."

"Ugh," said the Prince, turning on his side and propping up his chin with one hand. "Is it another one of your duties again."

"No, I'm meeting someone," said the Duke, who, having finished adjusting his clothes, made his way to the door.

"Wait, who are you meeting with? Anyone interesting?"

Duke Marshal stopped at the door, clicking his tongue. "Frankly, it's none of your business."

Prince Sebastian sat up in the bed. "How dare you! If you're gonna be like that, then I demand you don't meet them! In fact, I command that you don't meet them!"

The Duke slowly turned away from the door and approached the bed, stepping uncomfortably close, looming over Prince Sebastian. "I would be careful issuing commands to me, your highness," he said, darkly.

"I'm the Crown Prince," he said, leaning away from the Duke. "I can command anyone to do whatever I want and—"

The Duke grabbed him by the throat. Not tightly, not quite violently, but forcefully.

"Don't treat me like a fool. You forget that I know you better than anyone, we are childhood friends after all. And I know the weakness that you thought you'd hidden so well."

"I don't know what you mean," choked our Sebastian.

The Duke leaned down until his face was almost touching the Prince's. He sneered. "I know all about how you only put on a show with the chambermaids so that no one thinks to ask what you get up to with the footmen."

The Prince's eyes widened, and the Duke let go of his throat, taking a few steps back.

"You can't treat me like this," said the Prince. "My father—"

"Your father only values you for your blood relation, as you already know," said Marshal. "Otherwise he barely tolerates you. Do you think he'll continue to tolerate you if he finds out what a truly twisted degenerate you are? Do you think he would only have you exiled, or do you think a quiet execution would be more his style?"

"My father also has his women..." said Sebastian.

"His women, yes," said the Duke.

"...Even if you told him he wouldn't believe you!"

The Duke shook his head. "Do you really think I don't have witnesses? Do you really think your father would take your word over mine, if it came to it?"

Prince Sebastian fell silent.

The Duke clicked his tongue again. "I hadn't planned on playing this card this early. If only you weren't such a damn nuisance all the time."

The Duke started to leave again, but once again paused at the door. "Don't worry, too much, Sebastian. Your useless life won't change much after this. Just don't try to command me. And don't you dare embarrass me in front of your father again, like at tea the other day. As long as you do as your told, you can continue to waste away your days on frivolous pleasures. After all, I don't care which servants you carry on with, as long as you play your role."

The Duke glanced at Prince Sebastian one last time. "You should thank your lucky stars that you were born as a legitimate prince. It's the only thing that makes you worth anything. You better pray there never comes a day when your blood loses its value."

Finally, Duke Marshal left the room.

A few moments later, Prince Sebastian stumbled out of the room himself. A guard spotted him and ran over. "Are you okay, your highness?"

Sebastian waved him off. "Yes, yes, I'm fine... I just need... I need something to distract me. Yes, that's it! I need a fun distraction."

"Should I instruct the stable boys to prepare your horse?" asked the guard.

"No, no," said Sebastian. "Let me think... Oh, I never got a chance to meet that Saintess at the party the other day! Go and fetch the Saintess. Make her come have tea with me."

"As you say, your highness," said the guard, with a bow and a salute.

As he walked away, Sebastian leaned against the wall and muttered to himself. "Yes, that's right, there's nothing to do about it, so it's best not to think about it. Just best not to think."


Duke Marshal walked briskly through the halls of the Imperial Palace and out into the extensive grounds, past the fancy manicured gardens, and to the knights' training grounds. The Grand Duke, as one of the leaders of the military, spent much of his time there anyway, so no one would think he looked out of place.

He loitered near the back entrance to the training grounds, where they connected directly to an alleyway in the city. After all, sweaty knights couldn't be seen going in and out of the front door of the palace all the time.

A woman stepped out from behind a nearby shed. She had bright red hair that covered one eye. "Took you long enough," said Eva.

"I'm here, aren't I?" said the Duke. "Now let's hear this proposal of yours, Cleric."

Thanks for reading!

If you're feeling impatient you can read up through Chapter 85 now on Tapas.

If you'd like to check out my other novel, The Warmonger Duchess and Her Female Husbandyou can read the first 3 chapters for free on my Patreon.

And if you'd like to follow me on Twitter you can find me at @teddy_stonehill

31