Chapter 18
530 2 30
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The light of the setting sun glinted off of Lady Corvina's sword as she thrust forward, burying the point deep into the torso of the straw training dummy. She was wearing a pair of high-waisted pants and a billowing shirt—her standard training uniform. Her hair was pulled back away from her face.

Her butler approached, watching her drills. "Shouldn't you quit before nightfall, my lady?" he said. "Isn't it dangerous to practice swordsmanship in the dark."

Lady Corvina glanced at him, taking a cloth from Helen, who was standing by, and using it to wipe her brow. "I'll be sure to request that any assassins attack me when it's light out, then, shall I, Uncle Ulrich?"

The butler, Ulrich Vend, Corvina's maternal uncle, laughed. "It's impossible to argue with you, as always."

Corvina smiled wryly and gave the cloth back to Helen. "One day you'll stop trying," she said. "Did you follow my instructions?"

"Yes, of course," said Ulrich, with a bow. "As we speak my underworld contacts are gathering any and all possible intelligence on the current status of the rebellion."

"Good," said Corvina. She picked up a second practice sword and held it out to her uncle. "Now spar with me."

Ulrich took the sword and took up a stance opposite Corvina. As they began trading blows, they continued to chat.

"Two days ago you thought the rebellion was useless and the Saintess nothing more than a pawn of the church," said Ulrich, knocking aside a blow from Corvina. "What changed?"

"Maybe nothing," said Lady Corvina, continuing on the attack and driving her uncle further back.

"You've gotten stronger," said Ulrich, barely fighting Corvina off. Then he swept one leg forward and knocked Corvina off her feet. She landed hard on her back. "But you're still too honorable."

Ulrich offered Corvina his hand to help her up. She hesitated for a moment, then took his hand.

"Are you alright, my lady?" said Helen, rushing to Corvina's side, but Corvina waved her away.

"Let's just get all this cleaned up," said Corvina. "It is getting late. We should retire for the day."

Crovina tried to help put the training materials away, but Helen and Ulrich wouldn't let her. Instead, while the others worked, she watched the sunset.

"She took me by surprise," said Corvina.

"Who?" said Ulrich, a training dummy in his arms.

"The Saintess," said Corvina. She closed her eyes. "That's what changed. My whole life... I've... I've known how things are. I've understood the way of the world. I thought the best I could do was use that knowledge to survive as long as possible." Corvina opened her eyes and shrugged. "But Anne... she talks about things I thought were set in stone as if they're made of nothing more than air."

"Maybe she's just stupid and naive," said Ulrich, setting down the training dummy.

"Maybe." Corvina smiled. "But I want to try living in the world that Anne sees. Even if I have to risk everything to get there."

"My lady..." said Helen, her eyes sparkling while watching Corvina.

Seeing Helen's expression, Corvina blushed slightly and turned her face away.

"If you're that determined then all I can do is continue to support you," said Ulrich, with a bow.

"Are you really okay with this?" said Corvina. "It's a dangerous path. And I wouldn't want you to feel like I was forcing you into a losing battle."

Ulrich put a hand on Corvina's shoulder. "I decided a long time ago that since your mother couldn't be there for you, I would be," he said. Then he grinned. "Besides, if you're finally going to point that sword of yours at that asshole of an Emperor, how could I miss out on being part of it? Even if we do all end up getting killed."

Corvina chuckled. "Thank you, Uncle," she said. "I'll try not to get us all killed."

Ulrich picked up the training dummy again.

"Oh, and Uncle?"

"Yes?"

Corvina pulled the dagger out of her boot and buried it into the training dummy Ulrich was holding. A few inches to the side and Corvina would have stabbed straight through Ulrich's heart.

"I may be too honorable," said Corvina. "But you still underestimate me."

Ulrich laughed. "That's my girl! The Emperor will never know what hit him!"


Anne dismissed Betty, who had still been sitting in Anne's room working on her new wardrobe.

"No one can spy on us from in here, right?" Anne asked, looking around the room.

"I don't believe so," said Eva.

"I can check the surrounding area for spies," said Agis.

Anne gave him the nod and he saluted before disappearing into the corridor. As soon as he got back and gave them the all clear, Anne launched into her explanation.

Eva listened quietly. Agis, on the other hand, kept loudly interjecting.

"Burn down the Sacred Forest!? They can't do that!"

"They're gonna kill the shitty human prince?!"

"How could an Emperor send his own people to die like that?!"

By the time Anne had finished explaining, Agis was ready for a fight. He had his bow in hand. "We can't let them destroy the Sacred Forest!"

"Don't worry," said Anne. "We're working on it."

"Who's we?" asked Eva.

"Me and Lady Corvina," said Anne.

"So she was the first one you told? How could—" Eva stopped, then sighed. "Never mind. This must have been a lot for you to keep inside. No wonder you've been acting... strange. Thank you for trusting me enough to share this with me. What's the plan to saving the forest?"

"I'm... not entirely sure what the plan is yet, exactly," said Anne. "But that stuff with the alchemist was the first step."

"And what was 'that stuff with the alchemist' supposed to accomplish?"

"I don't know yet," said Anne. "It's a test. Corvina said we'd understand when it happens."

"A test?" said Eva. "She'd dare to test you, the Saintess?"

"No, no, no," said Anne. "It's a test for her to prove to us that she's trustworthy."

"...how is this supposed to do that?" asked Eva.

"I don't know. I suppose we'll know when the thing we're waiting for happens."

Eva stared at Anne for a moment, then said. "Fine. We'll wait and see then."

"That's it?" said Agis, still holding his bow. "We're just gonna wait and see?"

"We've still got a bit of time, don't we?" asked Eva.

Anne tried to remember the exact timeline of the original book. She'd always had a hard time keeping track of those sorts of things. But she was pretty sure the razing of the Sacred Forest was a while after the Summer Ball.

"Yes, I think so," said Anne. She patted Agis on the shoulder, trying to calm him down. "And if this doesn't work, we'll find another way to save the Sacred Forest, I promise."

Eva was looking over Anne's schedule now. She clicked her tongue. "This is completely unreasonable," she said.

"What's on it?" asked Anne, reaching for the paper.

"Never mind," said Eva, holding the paper out of Anne's reach. "I'm going to have a talk with the Bishop. While I'm gone, I want you to write down everything you remember about the prophecy so I can look it over later."

"Okay," said Anne.

After Eva had left, Anne smacked her head down on her desk and groaned. "Do I really have to write all this out tonight? It's been a crazy long day. I'm so fucking tired."

Agis was sitting on the edge of the bed. "Anne?"

"Yeah, bro?" said Anne.

"Are they really going to destroy the Sacred Forest?" He looked genuinely nervous.

Agis tried to act tough, but sometimes he came across like such a little kid. It made Anne's protective older sister instincts kick in. She wanted to comfort him and keep him safe.

"Don't worry," said Anne. "We'll kick their asses for sure."

"Right," said Agis, nodding, a determined expression on his face. "Even if they try, we'll definitely stop them. Zaos and Elyon are still there defending it, anyway. No one will be able to get past them."

Zaos and Elyon were the names of the first two princes of the elves, Agis and Anne's older brothers (well, half-brothers to Anne).

I probably shouldn't tell him about how they both originally died in the razing of the Sacred Forest, Anne thought. He's got enough to worry about already.

"Hey, Agis," said Anne. "Can you tell me a bit more about the Sacred Forest? Like, how would you explain it to me if I was someone who knew almost nothing about it?"

"Why?" asked Agis.

"Just humor me," said Anne. "I want to... get my thoughts straight before I start writing this."

"Well, the Sacred Forest is the ancestral home of the elves. Even though natural magic has faded from the rest of the world, it still holds strong in the forest. Strangers gets lost when they try to enter, which is part of why no one's ever successfully invaded. The trees themselves are also protected by magic. Ordinary fire shouldn't be able to affect them. It should be impossible to burn forest down."

"Hmm..." said Anne. She could vaguely remember something like that from the book but she couldn't remember anymore how exactly the Imperial Army had gotten past the magic.

"Also it's really beautiful," said Agis, staring wistfully into the distance. "I know you've seen the outskirts, but that's nothing compared to the deep forest. I'd still like to take you there someday, to see the palace."

"I'd like that," said Anne. She sighed. "I guess we'd really better make sure it doesn't get burned down before I can go then, huh?" Anne grabbed the quill pen that was on her desk. "I guess I'd better get started on this, then."


Further into the Cathedral, near the inner sanctum, Eva entered the Bishop's office. The Bishop was by herself, filling out some paperwork by candlelight.

Eva marched right up to her and slammed both hands down on the desk. "You fucking bitch," she growled.

Bishop Geist looked up, a serene smile on her face. "Ah, Sister Eva. Wonderful to see you again." She pushed a little ceramic bowl towards Eva. "Have a candy."

 

Thanks for reading!

If you're feeling impatient you can read up through Chapter 85 now on Tapas.

If you'd like to check out my other novel, The Warmonger Duchess and Her Female Husbandyou can read the first 3 chapters for free on my Patreon.

And if you'd like to follow me on Twitter you can find me at @teddy_stonehill

30