Vol 2 Ch 6(Lee)(B): And We Start Again
3 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The B in the chapter name represents the choices currently made in this route

I pulled Sam up, her bandages were beyond ruined, it was bloodied and slightly ripped. The stairs were just a few rooms away, it should be fine.

"You gonna be alright?" I looked behind me as we walked, she seemed sluggish, all the blood loss must've been terrible.

"I think so" She was holding her arm, I could see the blood stain her hand, the blood seemed...kinda aggressive, as in it was really bleeding out, but Sam seemed to be fine, she wasn't really pale unless it wasn't noticeable, so at least that's alright...but maybe she was running a fever and that could be affecting her ability to walk.

"Agh!" As I was walking backward I banged into something, when I turned around to look at it, it seemed to be some server system and some chargers.

"Think we can get Dave here?" Dave was, an AI, one that was basically a therapy dron-...have I said this before...are my memories getting worse? I know it was bad already but...but one thing I know I didn't say was it could go into other tech, like cameras and computers, and tell us things.

"Maybe...we'll get access to the cameras so it'd be easier to traverse, but how do we know that they still work, and it would take awhile as well" I mentioned all the negatives that I knew to Sam. I looked at her when I mentioned it would take awhile, the pain Sam's already in seemed terrible, and I didn't want to see her suffer any longer than she needed.

"I guess that's a no" Sam readjusted herself, moving her injured arm so she could hold it better. "It's fine" She caught me looked at it "I can still move"

"Yeah, I know" I went to the next door I saw, it was in the corner of the room, maybe we already made it to the stairs. I took out my knife and went to the door, I put my hand on the doorknob, looking back to see if Sam was ready, with her nod I opened the door. The first thing I noticed was stairs, but everything below it was destroyed, complete rubble...and blood, dead people, not zombies...it was a small one but a gap was between the door I was at, and the stairs. When I looked back at Sam I could see her worry. "Think you can make it?"

"M-Maybe..."

"I'll go first, then I can catch you on the other side." Sam didn't respond back, only looked around the room. Sam stepped back into the other room we were in before and moved aside. I took a few steps back then started sprinting at the gap, right at the edge I jumped and landed on the stairs with a small effort. I made it fine, it wasn't even that close to hard, Sam should be able to pull it off. "Your turn, I'll catch you if you fall." Sam walked up to the door, I could tell she wanted to look down. "Don't Sam, you'll only scare yourself, you're not gonna fall."

"Ye-yeah...I know." Sam took a few steps back, she took a deep breath while I got near the edge of the stairs, putting my hand out for her to catch. She began sprinting just like I did, but, unlike myself, she didn't jump near the ledge, causing her to get less distance. Before she could fall anymore I caught her, the gap, like I said before, wasn't that far, just a few seconds of airtime was needed. She had one of her feet on the steps, so pulling her onto it completely wasn't difficult.

"See, wasn't that hard, right?" I brought her onto the stairs and made sure she was stable, we began walking up to it, they seemed to lead to every floor...and because of that, we could see the absolute shambles each one was in. It seemed that many people died in this building...why don't I remember entering this building, I mean, sure we time traveled, and we're in some form of trial, but I should still remember this, shouldn't I?...even then, a trial? What is even the trial? Get out of the building? Do I have to do this every time I time travel back? I don't even think I went that far...maybe I messed it up, but...all I have to do is think of what time I wanna go back to...

"It wasn't that hard..." I forgot the question I asked, but Sam still answered. The bleeding seemed to have slowed down...it would still need stitches...Me and Nicholai would have to do it.

"You know what we gotta do with that arm right?" She looked down at it when I asked, she saw how it was still bleeding.

"Stitches?"

"Yeah...the cut was wide, too wide for it to heal on its own...sorry"

"What for? I recall anesthetics being put in the nurse's office after one of our supply runs"

"I didn't expect you to be able to pronounce it well...and remember it" I looked to my right, outside one of the windows I could see zombies moving around, seemingly chasing someone in a gasmask...I noticed a pipe out the window, it was nearly broken, I finished it out, breaking it, that alone caused a loud noise, but to make sure I lowered the window and broke it, getting the zombies attention, allowing the person in the gasmask to get to the rooftop of another building, seemingly setting up something

"My english isn't that bad...my memory has been a bit hazy though" Her too huh? If she can remember something in this timeline, then maybe I remember some things that she doesn't, and she remembers stuff that I don't...wild...wait...did she not realize what I just did...the blood loss must be effecting her heavily now if she's getting this tunnelvisioned

"Yeah, your english is getting better, haven't seen an issue with it in a long time" It may be due to the fact that she doesn't say complicated or long words. After climbing for what felt like hours we made it to the roof. I went to the door and opened it, being greeted by Cypher and Cally...it was still weird to see them...wait...no, I haven't met these people...But, why do I recall seeing them before...I looked back at Sam to see if she was thinking like I was, yet when I looked at her, a chill ran down my spine as I thought about Cypher and Cally, maybe it was just my terrible memory aga- no, if it was bad memory, then I wouldn't even remember seeing them!

"You alright?" I heard Cypher ask me specifically, it seemed like Cally went to care for Sam.

"I dunno...things just feel weird, like something bad happened" He looked at me, confused.

"What, like the world's gonna end" He looked around then looked back at me "I think that happened already" I could tell he was trying to lighten up the mood, but every now and again I saw him looking at Sam with a sorrowful expression "I'm a dumbass huh?" It came out of nowhere "I mean, I cut Sam's arm even after you said not to" I don't recall saying no, only yelling after they did it, hell I just woke up in the middle of it...I hadn't even thought about it, why did they try cutting her arm...I guess she got bit...one thing I do recall, there was a temporary cure, something that can make it as though you weren't bit to begin with, well, it feels that way.

"Don't worry about it, you just wanted to help...just help me with her when it comes to stitching her up, alright?" He looked even more depressed when I asked.

"Did I really cut her that badly?"

"Let's just go, the longer we delay, the longer it would take for her to recover" I looked and walked around to see why we even came up here. I saw something that resembled a zipline. I could feel myself getting more pissed off. "Okay...why the fuck would we come up here when Sam can't even USE HER ARM!" I could see both Cypher and Cally start chuckling nervously, Cally came up to me with Sam silently following behind her

"It was a split second thought... but! We should be fine, we can just use our kit that we use to rappel" I was wondering what this giant bag on me was for.

"Well, my bad then" I set my bag down, it was an ova- err, half-oval, with these spike-like objects that I assume, would latch onto the line...they looked really sharp though, like they could pierce skin. As I took it out I noticed more things in my bag, a baseball bat, a map, what looked like an adrenaline shot alongside a medkit, all of it neatly organized...well I clearly didn't set this up then...Medkit...I grabbed it as well, when I stood up I could see Sam get worried. I opened it up, needle and thread, all I needed. Sam started backing up...I didn't want to, but she's already losing her ability to use her arm, she was holding it up for awhile now without moving her fingers or anything, and she was in immense pain when she opened the elevator. "Listen, Sam, you're losing a lot of blood, and while it slowed a small bit I can tell it's making you weaker, you're leaning when you walk, you're slower than normal, you're clearly in pain." Cally and Cypher got out of my way as I walked towards Sam

"I...I"

"I know how you are with blood, you don't have to look, I can give you my thumb to bite on again if you need to, or something else in that bag" There was a fence on the edge of this roof, except for near the zipline, but Sam wasn't near it, I didn't have to worry about her falling.

"B-But I...We can wait right? I've been fine for now! Right!" She was practically to tears, I didn't want to but I can't just have her bleed out, or even pass out on a zipline four or five stories high!

"You can't hold onto that zipline Sam, even if you were fine, you'd lose your grip before we even reach halfway, and it's not like i can tie you to myself...I would! But...we don't have rope" At least not anymore.

"..." I could hear her whimpering, I can only imagine how scared she is "please...Lee?" A part of me considered it, but zombies were around, even if they were following that guy, we can't really get away without being noticed... "What if I pass out? The-t-then it wouldn't matter even if my arm was stitched" She had a point, that was something I could agree with, this medkit had no anesthetics.

"The only thing I can see working is the ladder at the edge" Cally moved her head, motioning behind her. "But then we'd have to fight our way out." Going down a ladder is a lot easier than going up, so Sam, overall, should be fine.

"You up for it? You should just be able to use your other hand" It seemed like she calmed down, I had practically said we wouldn't do it, and a part of me felt relived as well, I'd rather carry her than hear her scream her lungs out in pain. "Cally and I'll go down first incase Sam falls, Cypher can stay up here and support her however he can, I'd say that's a good idea" Just like I had said, Cally started going down the ladder, I could still hear Sam having trouble breathing though, so I walked up to her and knelt her down, crouching down with her. "I'm sorry...I didn't want to suggest it, I was just trying to help you...Of course I didn't want to do it, hearing you scream would be the last thing I wanna hear, and I didn't want you to hate me either"

"I get i-it...you're forgiven..." Sam sounded sincere although gasped for air halfway through her sentence.

"You sure? We can wait, I'm sure Cally hasn't reached the bottom yet"

"I'll just bleed-out then...don't think either of us want that" We both smiled, she seemed alright now.

"I'll meet you at the bottom then" I stood up and walked to the ladder, putting my left leg on the bar.

"We'll catch up soon" I could see Cypher giving me a two finger salute...heh, copying my thing huh? I continued climbing down, near the ladder were breaches in the walls, I could see inside the building and hear groans of infected. In the end however, I made it to the bottom with no problems. I heard the ladder start creaking, I looked up and saw Sam and Cypher coming down. I moved out the way and looked at our surroundings seeing no one, it seem like it led to some back alle-...I saw...no one...I saw no one

"CALLY!" I shouted, instantly realizing what horrible mistake I just made.

"What's wrong?" I heard feet hit the ground, Sam made it down seemingly with ease, following was Cypher.

"Cally isn't here" Immediately they looked around with me, seeing the same thing.

"We kept our eyes of her for fifteen seconds!" Cypher seemingly brought my bag, I guess I forgot it earlier, I took the medkit out and placed it in, instead of keeping it he gave it to me, allowing me to put it back on.

"Let's get going then! There's only one exit to this alley way" From the ladder we all started running left, we compensated to match Sam's speed, causing us to slightly slow down. We made it to the streets, no infected or zombies in sight. Before we started sprinting to find Cally a shot rang out, when I turned around to see the noise, I saw that it barely missed Cypher, he stood there frozen. Before anything else happened I grabbed his arm and started bolting, he soon noticed and started running as well, I made sure Sam was following, she seemed to be alright, if not a little wobbly.

"Cally!" I could hear Cypher start to panic "Does that mean Cally...!" We all started to realize, whoever this guy was must've shot Cally...but hide the body? This wasn't making sense. We continued running, I could see Sam getting tired, she's been pushing herself all this way, she tripped and fell over, I ran to her and helped her up, another shot rang out hitting directly below my knee, it felt like something broke, but I could still move. The three of us kept going.

"How the hell is this guy getting across rooftops!?" It was a question I wanted to ask as well, but it seems like Cypher asked before me. I could hear something running behind me, like they were breathing down my neck, I got behind Sam and turned around slashing at whatever was behind me, but I got whipped in the face before I could make contact.

"Lee!" I could hear Sam's voice.

"Go!" My vision in one of my eyes were blurry, but that didn't matter to me, I could see a blue glow behind the gasmask...gasmask, this fucker! I helped him earlier! They took out a pistol, but before they could act I had a thought, I time traveled, I should still have my powers! I could feel blood dripping down my face, I moved my finger across it, quickly summoning my spear-like projectile and forced it to go at my attacker. It dug into their leg, causing them to misfire near me, I charged them, stabbing them with my knife. I started stabbing them, again, and again, and again, over and over in the chest. I could feel their hand press against my face trying to get me to stop, but they stopped moving before that. I felt tired...Cally died at least we think...my leg felt obliterated, yet I can still move...I could feel the blood dripping down my fingers, and the sound of my own blood dripping onto the attacker's clothing. I stood up and started limping back to the school, hopefully, the others would be there. After hours of limping through the streets I made it, even with the rain starting to pour, I stepped inside, silence, not a single thing could be heard, that was until I heard footsteps and shouting erupt above me, I made it to the stairs, climbing them, when I made it to the top I could see one of the classroom door's open...Kenneth laid there dead, I could feel my heart pounding, either from the bullet wound or from what I'm seeing now. I could hear the footsteps going to the roof, I went over but not after looking back at Kenneth...poor guy, going out like this...I made it to the roof, the wind and rain were worse than before, I couldn't see anyone, it wasn't that dark, but no one was here, there wasn't even anywhere to hide. I went to the middle of the rooftop and looked to both sides of me, the entrance I came through was open when I got there, but the other one is still locked and closed.

"L-Lee?" I barely heard her over the rain, Sam stood there, still holding her arm. "K-Kenneth... h-" Before she would even vent she was shot in the throat...by who? there was no one up here. In one last act of resistance, I threw my knife behind me, only to get shot in the chest. I fell down, I could only hear my own breathing, the sound of Sam dying, and the rain hitting me, I could see Sam struggling to live, and soon a foot came into my view, he kicked me over, allowing me to see him, it was the same guy, the one I just stabbed before, with the same blue glow in his right eye, and through the rain, through the horrific sounds of Sam dying right next to me, he said something that haunted me, something I didn't expect to hear again.

"I hope you'll understand one day" Just like before, everything went dark...but something different happened, instead of waking up peacefully and being woken up by Raymond, I could feel myself being shaken.

"Lee!?" I opened my eyes, I could see Sam, crying, from what seemed like fear, when she noticed I woke up she stopped shaking me "K-Ken a..I" She stopped and caught her breath.

"I know..." I placed my hand on her head and hugged her, I heard running and soon Raymond barged in.

"Oh...so you are awake, I was worried she would end up hurting you, seems like you're helping her more though..." I could feel Sam's tears, being shot like that, while already being in agony...the hell is wrong with this world. "Come on, let's go get you all reacquainted" I got up with Sam, leading her by the hand.

"Are you gonna be fine?" I looked at her, she gave a small nod, she seemed to be more at peace. Raymond led us to the same room as before, there was only one major difference, when we entered the room I saw Kenneth, Nicholai, and Matt all awake, and this time, the people still resting were Cypher and Cally...

My choice...really did change the future.

0