#64: Only Up
18 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Announcement

My latest novel Blow: a CTCT Spin-off has just ended. I'm participating with it in a contest on another platform that you can find here. I hope you can support me by reading it and sharing it if you like it.

Remember that IBMFGI is ~40 chapters ahead on other platforms that you can find here.


Edited by RedPandaChick

Everyone sat in silence until the door opened and Haru appeared behind it. She waved and smiled.

Aki stood up in a jump and shouted, "Aunt?!"

"Hi, Aki," Haru giggled. "Why do you seem so shocked?"

"I just… didn't expect it."

Haru chuckled. I signaled her with my head to step in and so did she. She stood next to me in the middle of the studio.

"She's your aunt?" Risa wondered.

"I see the resemblance, now that I know it," Astra added.

"I didn't see her face properly that time in the car," Umi said. "I'm sure I've seen her at Saitama University before."

Haru replied, "Yes, I am… was a professor at Saitama University, but the last time some of us saw each other was in my car when the controversy exploded; we weren't even able to introduce ourselves properly. My name is Haru Fuku and I'll be Co-CEO of GIMA. I look forward to working with all of you," she bowed.

"Co-CEO?" Aki frowned. "Are you serious?"

"I am," Haru answered. "Are you against it? You look sad."

"No, why would I be? It's just shocking."

Haru let out a deep breath. "For a moment, I thought you hated the idea."

"I know it's surprising for everyone," I said, "but this is the best opportunity I could've asked for. Haru was my professor for four years and she's one of the few people, if not the only one, I blindly trust in this industry."

Aya raised her hand. I nodded at her and she asked, "Why Co-CEO?"

"Because just as I trust her, she believes in this project. Not to mention that she's a hundred times more qualified to manage a company than I am. Now, if you want the technical side, she'll become Co-CEO because she's going to invest in fifty percent of the company's shares."

"How much is that?" Umi wondered.

Of course, Umi would question that. I would've preferred not to tell them about this side of the business, but I just had promised to be transparent. There was nothing forcing me to do so, yet their trust was something I didn't want to lose.

"A bit more than a million terras," I answered.

"A million?!" Aki shouted. "You have that much money?"

"Of course I don't," Haru answered. "Not to spare, that is."

"Then where did you get it from?"

"You don't need to know that."

I turned toward Haru and whispered, "You can tell them."

She responded in a low voice, "It's not about if I can or not. Do they need to know?"

"They do," I nodded.

She stared at me before sighing and turning her frown into a smile. "I took out a loan," she said.

Aki asked, "Don't they have absurd amounts of interest?"

"Not if you pay on time," I answered. "At least twenty-five percent of the loan has to be paid annually to avoid interest increments, so let's set that as our goal. We must make at least two hundred and fifty thousand terras over our expenditures during the next year. Does everyone agree?"

"Yes," they replied.

"Good," I smiled. "The investment will come through tomorrow, but there's a small drawback."

Haru continued, "My contract with Saitama University won't expire until the end of this year. I'm able to invest, but not to work in another company directly. That means I'll only be able to give Kaito advice when he needs it."

I nodded. "From now on, things should only go up. Let's work hard to build and keep that momentum."

 

The following week was rather busy. While the girls, Miki, Satō, and Tomokazu worked together to come up with ideas for the second album, I worked with Haru to get everything in the company in order. She couldn't work directly, so I kept asking her questions.

One of the questions—and the most important one—was what to do next. She had just joined the company, so she obviously didn't know anything. I sent her a list of the things we needed the most and she asked me to make a report on why we needed them. It felt like homework at first, yet I quickly realized how helpful it was; not only for me but for the rest of the team as well.

Although the list was long and everything was a priority, I concluded we actually only needed one of the items on it: an accountant. The hunt for one began. There was no reason to look exhaustively, yet I wanted someone that matched the mood and personality of the company. It was going to take a while.

As the interviews went on, I kept insisting to Haru that we needed an artist. I didn't have to insist, but I wanted us to be on the same page. In reality, we didn't need an artist; it only was a boost to what we could offer, yet I didn't want to let Jun go. It took a few days of discussion with Haru and making plans for Jun before he was even hired, but I convinced her.

I thought of asking Jun if he was still up and available to work at GIMA through a message but decided to give him a visit instead.

 

In the evening after work hours, Tomokazu, Umi, Aki, and I walked together to our apartments as usual. Instead of continuing to walk with Aki, we said goodbye and I entered the building with Umi and Tomokazu. We rode the elevator as Tomokazu and I chatted, while Umi remained completely silent. At least her resting face didn't look like she was annoyed all the time anymore.

The elevator stopped and Umi stepped out.

"See you tomorrow," she said.

"Goodnight," I replied.

Tomokazu asked, "When will you invite your friends over to have dinner at your place? You should do so at least—"

"Never," she cut him off without even looking back at us.

I snorted before the elevator doors slid close. I slapped Tomokazu's back and said, "You tried. I had to be punched by her just so she'd stop being annoying. What do you think it'll take for her to invite people to her place?"

"Let ourselves be murdered?"

"That doesn't sound far off."

The elevator quickly reached the floor where Tomokazu's and Jun's apartments were. We walked down the hallway and arrived at Tomokazu's first.

"Have a wonderful night, dear friend," he said as he pushed open the door.

"You too. Are you sure you don't want to come?"

He shook his head. "I do not wish to meddle, besides I have some things to do."

"Alright."

We nodded at each other and he closed the door. I walked to the neighboring apartment and rang the bell. A tornado whirled around the room before he opened the door. He hid behind it, yet his bare shoulders were visible.

"Again?" I deadpanned.

He stared at me and glanced back into his apartment. "Give me a minute," he said and shut the door close.

Nothing was heard for a few seconds until a woman started yelling. She didn't say pretty things and it sounded like objects were thrown around, although nothing sounded like it was breaking. There was absolute silence for several seconds before the door opened and the woman came out. We glanced at each other as she walked away. It was awkward, to say the least.

"Come in," Jun said, standing at the door. He now wore a shirt.

I shook my head as I entered the apartment. Despite hearing what I heard, everything seemed in order. Only when he started picking things up from the floor did I see what was thrown.

"Are you here because of why I think you're here?" he asked.

"Why else would I be here?"

"To visit your best friend."

"And interrupt him again?"

"Fair enough."

He kept moving things around, so I asked, "Where can I sit?"

"Anywhere you want."

"No, no. Let me rephrase that: where shouldn't I sit?"

He laughed. "Just sit at the table. Do you want a beer?"

"Sure."

"Really? That's a miracle."

"Just remember I hate the taste and might puke in an hour or two."

He laughed once again and took two cans of beer out of the fridge. He approached the table and sat down on the pillow in front of me. We snapped the cans open and drank. I couldn't help but to frown at the bitter taste.

"Let's do business," Jun said.

"Are you still up to work at GIMA?" I asked.

"I am, but I already found something."

We stared at each other without even blinking. The silence lasted for too long until Jun drank more and talked again.

"It was more fun when you fell for these things. Of course I am. It's impossible to find a job in two weeks."

"Great. That was all the business I had to talk about."

Jun chuckled. "Let's talk about life, then. It's weird, isn't it?"

"What is?"

"Some things have stayed the same, like our friendship for the past ten years, but other things have changed drastically."

"Not really," I said. "Don't you feel like we're becoming more and more distant?"

"We spent too much time together in school, it was bound to happen. We needed a break from each other during university. We built our own paths, yet life brought us back together. Weird, isn't it?"

"Somewhat."

"You did a lot better, though. You found a beautiful lady and your idol group is doing amazing. Yes, you might've struggled with the business side of things, but you're here to hire me, so it means it's fixed, right?"

"For the time being. I'm sure things will only go up from now on."

"That's the spirit," he smirked. "How's your sister, by the way?"

"Don't even think about it."

"What? I didn't say anything. You know she hates me; I wouldn't even dare flirt with her. I'm asking sincerely: how's your family doing?"

I sighed. "They—"

My glasses started ringing and the name of the caller appeared on the screen. Talents Of The Old Tomorrow? It's another company. Should I even answer?

0